Sponsored by:

Body Work on my 05' TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Body Work on my 05' TL

Acruazine Fellas,

I have been reading these board since I purchased my 2005 TL (auto w/navi) and I have gotten a lot of great advice. I figured this would be the best place to post my problem before taking it in for the work it needs. By the way, after one year, I still love my TL more then anything. I can see myself buying another one in the future.

Here my issue. I recently clipped the curb around a turn and hit the right side of the car. The rear panel underneath the rear door was knocked off. The front panel under the passenger door was pretty scratched up

I want to get to fixing this right away because I love this car and looking the damage makes me sick. But, my monthly payment for the TL is just a little bit costly based on my income. I'm willing to spend what it would cost to fix it. I want the car back to the way it was before my screwup. But, I would like some suggestions on how I should go about it to make sure I don't overspend (or get overcharged)

Few Questions:
1. Should I order the parts before taking it to a body shop? If yes, where?
2. Should I take it to an authorized Acura dealer?
3. Anyone else have any other suggestions for me?

This is my 4th car but only my first screw up or accident where I had to pay for body work? So, I want to make sure I go about this right without getting ripped. When I thought about fixing the car, I immediately thought I'd post here before I get to it. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you all for your help.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

I just took my car in for some work as well.

I took the car to 4 different places for estimates including an Acura dealership.

The prices were pretty much the same, give or take 50.00 - 100.00

I took it back to Acura.

The reason I chose Acura, and not an outside shop, is that if any problems to
arise from the repair, the work is warrantied by Acura. I'll just drop it off there and let them deal with it.

Secondly, if there is another issue Acura cannot say to me "Well...there is a problem with this and because you took it to another shop for repairs, and this new issue is related to the repair you did, you have to take it up with them".

By taking it back to acura, I eliminated the possibility of being tossed back and forth between acura and this not acura shop.

Plus, since our car is relatively new and still has warranty, better be safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome

remember to provide us with an update.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Intermediate

Zine,

Ok, I got an estimate today from a an acura dealer. Only $225 and includes both panels and the liner under the rear wheel. They also said it would only take a half-hour (even though the estimate said 0.8 hours) for the service. Getting it repaired on Friday.

If anyone on here ever needs those bottom panels replaced in the future, don't go through yur insurence. It's not real expensive.

The parts were $72 for the rear panel and $65 for the front (could be the other way around). I'll confirm later to be sure. The liner was $35.00 and the rest is service and tax.

I was so happy when I saw the estimate. Crappy thing is, the closest dealer is 40 miles away, but I only have to make one more trip there.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DWDYEM2001
Acruazine Fellas,

I have been reading these board since I purchased my 2005 TL (auto w/navi) and I have gotten a lot of great advice. I figured this would be the best place to post my problem before taking it in for the work it needs. By the way, after one year, I still love my TL more then anything. I can see myself buying another one in the future.

Here my issue. I recently clipped the curb around a turn and hit the right side of the car. The rear panel underneath the rear door was knocked off. The front panel under the passenger door was pretty scratched up

I want to get to fixing this right away because I love this car and looking the damage makes me sick. But, my monthly payment for the TL is just a little bit costly based on my income. I'm willing to spend what it would cost to fix it. I want the car back to the way it was before my screwup. But, I would like some suggestions on how I should go about it to make sure I don't overspend (or get overcharged)

Few Questions:
1. Should I order the parts before taking it to a body shop? If yes, where?
2. Should I take it to an authorized Acura dealer?
3. Anyone else have any other suggestions for me?

This is my 4th car but only my first screw up or accident where I had to pay for body work? So, I want to make sure I go about this right without getting ripped. When I thought about fixing the car, I immediately thought I'd post here before I get to it. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you all for your help.
yeah .. i have a 05 TL black on black.. after goin out with my buddies on a friday night, i proceeded to get jumped when i got in my car... kids made 1300 dollars in damage!!! needless to say i was very pissed off and wanted to get it fixed as soon as possible... Did not research the auto body place well enough and he did a TERRIBLE job!! Remember black shows everything so while it might look pimp as hell when its clean... it shows all the lil imperfections as well.. So my advice to u is pay the extra dough and have peace of mind and take it to the best place possible ... and be careful next time!!