Blindspots!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004 | 11:34 PM
agd
Intermediate

Blindspots!!!

Is it me or do the back seat headrest obstruct the blindspots. I feel like i need to turn around significantly to make sure no one is on my sides. Maybe I'll remove em, Does anyone recommend blindspot mirrors are they effective?

AGD
Old 07-09-2004 | 11:48 PM
Racer

I have the same issue, and I simply remove both back seat headrests.
Old 07-09-2004 | 11:48 PM
Instructor

I've been using those mirrors for about fifteen years. Frankly, I don't see why they're not original equipment. I can't live without them.

The mirrors really work. By checking both mirrors together, you will know for sure whether anybody is alongside.
Old 07-10-2004 | 05:07 AM
Pro

For me it seems that the rear pillars are more of a problem than the headrests.
Old 07-10-2004 | 07:17 AM
Administrator

There was a very good thread posted recently about adjusting your outside mirrors for the best possible coverage. Here is the link http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83972

I also removed the passenger side headrest, for improved rear visibility. I left the driver's side headrest in because it doesn't obstruct my vision.

I tried those little blind spot mirrors on my 96TL, but didn't like them, especially when I noticed that motorcycles would virtually disappear in them.
Old 07-10-2004 | 07:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
There was a very good thread posted recently about adjusting your outside mirrors for the best possible coverage. Here is the link http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83972.
Read the thread. I followed the instructions in it and I no longer have any blind spots. The instructions will work on any car. It is hard to get used to at first, but it works. I have not removed any headrests or installed any extra mirrors.
Old 07-10-2004 | 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron A
There was a very good thread posted recently about adjusting your outside mirrors for the best possible coverage. Here is the link http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83972.
I actually figured out the whole side mirror thing on my own. I used to be on the road alot for work and it just dawned on me one day that it was stupid to have the side mirrors pointed down the side of the car! I have my sides adjusted to slightly overlap the view from my center mirror. The only time I actually turn my head is in heavy traffic or if I haven't been watching my mirrors.
Old 07-10-2004 | 12:02 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by captain
Read the thread. I followed the instructions in it and I no longer have any blind spots. The instructions will work on any car. It is hard to get used to at first, but it works. I have not removed any headrests or installed any extra mirrors.
I have found a car it does not work in, but forgot which one: Either a Pontiac Grand Am, or a Buick ... uh.... Le Sabre? Whatever is popular as the cheapy mid-size at rental places. I travel some for my job, and when I rented a car while in Texas, the stupid mirrors would NOT go that far over. They'd just start ticking and jerking when they reached the end of their give. Doh!
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:14 AM
Drifting

I also have a rough time backing up this car....I think the whole rear deck makes it very difficult to determine where the back of the car is located when backing up. I think i'm going to get some orange cones, and take them to a vacant parking lot, set them up, and practice backing right up to the cones. This might look like a High School driving student, but WTF....if this is what it takes to learn....I'm not afraid to admit I have a problem with backing up this car. I love the car..but it's very difficult to see behind. One other thing...make sure you have the mirrors adjusted properly....most people never seem to get it right...and have their mirrors looking down the side of the car instead of into the traffic lane next to the car..and the other poster said...it's strange at first since you prolly have been adjusting mirrors that way for years..but once you do it properly, you'll never go back to the old wrong way.
Old 07-11-2004 | 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JetJock
I also have a rough time backing up this car....I think the whole rear deck makes it very difficult to determine where the back of the car is located when backing up. I think i'm going to get some orange cones, and take them to a vacant parking lot, set them up, and practice backing right up to the cones. This might look like a High School driving student, but WTF....if this is what it takes to learn....I'm not afraid to admit I have a problem with backing up this car.
Backup sensors are the only way to go! Haven't come close to hitting anything in 10 months.
Old 07-11-2004 | 10:55 AM
Kollage is funn!

that mirror thread really works....i already use that method for additional privacy so drivers behind me don't see me in the mirrors (5% tint in the back). just point them out and away from the car so you have to lean to see behind you.
Old 07-11-2004 | 11:20 AM
Advanced

I use the teardrop-shaped inside-windshield-mount blind spot mirror. Works like a charm.
Old 07-11-2004 | 11:38 AM
Instructor

What about the blind spot out the front? The A-pillars are so large and in such a bad spot (compared to say a BMW 3 or 5 series) that I have to take an extra moment to verify that I am not overlooking a car or a pedestrian.
Old 07-11-2004 | 06:51 PM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by GTFISH
What about the blind spot out the front? The A-pillars are so large and in such a bad spot (compared to say a BMW 3 or 5 series) that I have to take an extra moment to verify that I am not overlooking a car or a pedestrian.
Yes, I'm really concerned about this when making a left turn. There pillar creates a blind spot that can actually cover a pedestrian. I just lean a bit forward and back going into the turn so I can see in front of and behind the pillar as I'm turning.
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:19 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

hey for the people who took out their headrests...it is extremely dangerous in the event of an accident. if you look at any of the videos, people rely on the headrests to save their necks/heads. and i think there was an article somewhere talking about how the headrest should be even with the top of your head so that you get full support. they are there for a reason. i wouldnt trust taking them off, especially the passengers
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:57 PM
Intermediate

IMO, the rear pillar is definitely obstructing my view, not as much as the passenger side head rest. I did not have this problem with the 2nd generation. The front pillar is still a problem with the 3rd generation as I had the same issue with my 2nd generation.

I'll try the side mirror trick.
Old 07-12-2004 | 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I too think the rear headrests do block some field of view, it really bugged me when I first got it. I tried taking them out, then the next day I actually had passengers (very rare) and I never took them back out, just been lazy. The C-Pillar is a bit wide on this car, but with the mirror adjustment, and good vigilance while driving you often know what's around you.

I also have the backup issue. But thru a little bit of training I have learned that there's like.. NO TRUNK.. you can back up to what seems like inches of the center tail light and you're just on. I parked the other day what I thought was on the wall, and I was over a foot away *DUH*