Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank Outside Temperature Reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blank Outside Temperature Reading

My outside temperature is reading ---F. Has anyone else had this problem. My dealer service manager said it will clear up when it gets warmer. I do not believe this can be the solution. Anyone have any thoughts? I park in a garage at night and it usually does not get below 30F. Am I missing something obvious?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Instructor

My outside temp gauge will read -5 if that's what it is outside. I'm in Michigan, so yes, it is that out right now.
I think he's giving you a line of sh*t.....
"The temp. reading will only work when it's warmer out" Come on.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Advanced

reads minus -12 over here so get it fixed. It will take a couple of minutes after start up to get the right temperature but there should be some sort of number displayed.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Blank Outside Temperature Reading

Originally posted by gldman
My outside temperature is reading ---F. Has anyone else had this problem. My dealer service manager said it will clear up when it gets warmer. I do not believe this can be the solution. Anyone have any thoughts? I park in a garage at night and it usually does not get below 30F. Am I missing something obvious?
Your dealer service manager is laaaaaaaaaaazy! I would take your service business to another dealer if it's convenient for you.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Gldman,

I had it happen on my trip down here to Florida.
It went off for an hour or two.
Turning the car off and restarting immediately didn't fix it.
When we arrived at our destination that evening, we went out for dinner. When we got back into the car and started it up, all was okay. Hasn't happened since. I would try to see if it will come back by itself. If you can avoid having the dealer touch it, you are that much better off. Give it at least a couple of days. With us, it was just a couple of hours. . .

Good Luck,

Eneg
Old 01-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Eneg,

Thanks, I will wait a few days. I agree, I hate to let the dealer play with the car. Something worse always happens and the technicians are just learning about this car.

G
Old 01-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Instructor

That sensor is under the front bumper, is it possible that the lead was knocked off?
Can you see it from under the car, or is it buried?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Cruisin'

Happened to me also about two weeks ago. Only once, restarting did not fix it but it fixed itself the next day and has not done it since. My guess is it will work tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

My guess is the sensor is based off of resistance across the sensor. Maybe it got wet and it caused the sensor not to work. When the water evaporates off it probally starts to work again. Then again, I have no idea what the heck I am saying. Who knows. Just get that lazy service man to look at your car and fix the problem.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

It should not be right. Could we know who is your dealership? Thanks... their name deserves a spot here.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Instructor

So, it seems like everyone's outside temperature is off, huh? Mine reads few degress warmer. I don't know why, but it didn't bug me that much...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Eneg,

Thanks, I will wait a few days. I agree, I hate to let the dealer play with the car. Something worse always happens and the technicians are just learning about this car.

G
Hi Gldman,

Just wondering if it came back. . .

Are you out there??????

Eneg
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Eneg,
No it is still all dashes. I am going to bring the car in soon. I will let you know the result. I do not want to trash the dealer at least at this point. It turns out I spoke to a service advisor and not the service manager. He seems like a nice person even if he is not brightest candle in the bunch.

Thanks all for your comments.

G.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
7th Gear

Mine is off exactly 2Degs C. A collegue at work has an Accord and it's exactly the same. At least it's consistent.

gldman - There is something wrong.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Suleyman,

I do not mean that the temperature reading is inaccurate. I mean that there is no longer a reading. It shows "---F". I will report back after I visit the dealer.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Is there a limit to the thermometer? I remember my college buddy's '88 Ford Probe, when it gets too cold, it just blinked "ICE".
Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by dtchung
Is there a limit to the thermometer? I remember my college buddy's '88 Ford Probe, when it gets too cold, it just blinked "ICE".

Ppl living in north have lots of minus temp out there. They may post their readings...
Old 01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Eneg,
No it is still all dashes. I am going to bring the car in soon. I will let you know the result. I do not want to trash the dealer at least at this point. It turns out I spoke to a service advisor and not the service manager. He seems like a nice person even if he is not brightest candle in the bunch.

Thanks all for your comments.

G.
No problem!
Please let me know what the actual problem was after it is fixed...

Good Luck,

Eneg
Old 02-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Eneg,
Today was the day my car was scheduled to get this fixed. However, My battery was dead and when the car was jump started the temperature reading returned. I used the appointment to have the charging system checked out and have some original paint chips touched up. The paint touch up was very poorly done.

G.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Eneg,
Today was the day my car was scheduled to get this fixed. However, My battery was dead and when the car was jump started the temperature reading returned. I used the appointment to have the charging system checked out and have some original paint chips touched up. The paint touch up was very poorly done.

G.
Thanks for the info, gldman.
I'll keep it in mind. I'm heading back to NY next week.
If I should have the same trouble, I'll try either disconnecting the battery, or if I can find the correct fuse, that would even be easier.
I am really interested to see how my tires are going to behave once getting back to the cold weather. I should find out pretty quickly. I'm going to have to bring the car in for an oil change and will probably start the ball rolling if the tires exhibit the flat spotting.
BTW - Been here for 2 months in Florida. Only one problem.
A flat tire. That's it! Good thing too as the nearest Acura dealer is about 53 miles from here. I guess Acura doesn't want to sell cars in Brevard County.

Eneg