Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacking out turn signals via tint film

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Blacking out turn signals via tint film

I've done a search but couldn't come up with anything as specific as I was looking for. I'm only 19, in college, without the right tools and guts to remove my bumper, take out the headlights, bake them in an oven, break some piece of plastic, silicone some piece of this and piece of that, and reheat the headlights then putting the bumper back on. So I decided to take an alternative route and "black out" the amber turn signals with the darkest tint film for headlights, like this WDP TL from ronjonwheels.com has done, except I have a NBP.

The catch-22 is that I do not know how to cut the headlight film to the contours of the HID bulb and the amber turn signal. Also, with what tool and how would I keep the cut straight? Here is an illustration.

Has anyone done this? How do I know how much curvature to cut with? Feedback appreciated

I would use the headlight tint film provided here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...spagenameZWDVW

I think I'd be better off with an easy, reversible procedure than the hassle of removing my headlights then clearing then painting.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
IMO it seems straight forward:
1) Buy the headlight film from eBay or our trusted vendor RockBlocker
2) Place the film on the headlight and use a marker (dry erase) to mark the curvature.
3) Use an exacto knife to trim the film
4) Apply

Old 02-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Not so easy when the headlight bends from the amber to the bulb; simply placing it over wouldn't be accurate cause marking it before applying it, then applying it would shift the original markings.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I did mine by cutting a carboard template using the film as a guide then putting the template against the headlight I used a pencil to draw the arc.

I went threw a few templates before I got what I wanted .. I also didn't want to cut off too much side light that lights the side of the road.

I used the cheap static film last year and it worked well with few issues, I have since ordered the bulk 20% and will use the template to cut what I need.

The link you posted from e-bay is the same stuff I originally used.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
um, why don't you want to do the whole light?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

My reason is that I didn't get HIDs to reduce the output .
Old 03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

and also cause this is an alternative route for "clearing then blacking out" the TURN SIGNALS. idk why anyone would wanna reduce light output.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Trucki!!

I'd say leave it stock then. I'm definately not a fan of it cut like that. To each their own......but it looks halfassed to me.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lembowski
......but it looks halfassed to me.
I think the tinted turn signal looks slightly better than stock, but you can still clearly see the cheese. Fully removing the cheese (by way of the "oven" method) looks MUCH better, IMHO.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the whole headlight tinted with the rockblocker and it doesnt reduce light output or nothing.. And its defenitly not illegal if it is a tint. I got stopped the other day and the officer goes man what the hell did you do to ur headlights. He said i blinded him with the HID's and when i passed him he noticed they were smoked by noticing the part of the fogs (fogs were off at the moment). He had never seen them tinted. He said that if you spray them its illegal but this is totally legal since its original purpose is To block rocks... RockBLocker. Heres a pik of my whole headlamp tinted.

sorry its the only pik i have that has the front of the car.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It looks nice, but my friend who did the same said light output was reduced.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
doesnt the partial tinting make it look weird from certain angles? cause you can still see inside the headlight and even get a view from behind the tint.

this might work if there was no room between the clear lens and the actual headlight assembly but there is.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

yeah i was thinking the same exact thing, which is my only qualm about doing it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
how about tinting one complety with some cheap autozone tint or something it dosent have to be exact just close to same darkness and cover one light at night and try to see how much of a differance if any there is tthat way you can compare if its worth the exrtra trouble or if you want to do it at all
Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i think your new headlights are better. post some pics
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

ahahaha will do.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ayethetiense
doesnt the partial tinting make it look weird from certain angles? cause you can still see inside the headlight and even get a view from behind the tint.

this might work if there was no room between the clear lens and the actual headlight assembly but there is.
I have had my Rockblockers headlight tint sitting here since November as I sit here still debating in the same boat as you bforbrian. My initial plan was to do exactly as you planned. I thought maybe nobody had thought of this until I came across a couple pics on the board after an exhaustive search. I studied these pics and after thinking it over I came to the exact conclusion that ayethetiense came down to. It will be also very hard to replicate on both sides even with a template. You may only accidentally get it perfect. It doesn't matter for some people but I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist. I overanalyze my mods before attempting. I experimented with quite enough tacky mods on my cars in my early days....

Also as said you will still see the orange behind the tint. My plan was to clear the lights as well. (I posted a thread awhile back if anyone has tried this before. I got 0 replies so I assume it hasn't been attempted. I thought OK cool, I wanted to be the first.)

But now I shot down the idea of the half-filmed look. I have seen quite a number of cleared/blacked out headlights. Some done better than others so I am starting to get an idea how I'm going to do mine.

I haven't totally ruled out using the Rockblockers however. Initially I would have never considered putting them over the headlight portion thinking of reduced output and legality. At the Chicago meet last Sat. one of our members had them and they seem to cut output minimally and he hasn't had problems getting pulled over. (If only headlight Rockblockers were made 10% instead of 20%). So maybe I'll use them at full length over cleared headlights or not at all and black out the headlights. Question is if I clear and then I put the film, would it turn out too dark to notice the headlights have been cleared? I plan to find out after I clear my headlights and experiment to see what looks best.

The best methods to cut are just as said above, with templates and an Exacto. You could trim the film before you put it on but I think it will come out closer to perfect once the film is on the car. But if you do that, just remember once you trim with that Exacto there will be a permanent etch on your headlight in case you decide to ever remove it.

If you decide to film the signals post the pics. Or if anyone else has done this, post some pics. (I would post the pics I have of the half filmed signals but they are of other member's cars and I wouldn't want to post without permission.) I'm still in a brainstorming phase myself.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
It sounds like you want to do this mod just for the meantime until you can do it with the oven method? If that's the case...I would just wait until you can do it correctly. Just move on to a different mod first.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I have my tails and sidemarkers rockblockered. I HAD my headlights rockblockered. I personally liked the look, I think I did a pretty good job getting them close to looking the same. You couldn't notice a difference unless you had OCD. I had to get a new headlight cause someone backed into me, and when I got the new headlight, I ended up removing the other side. I never got around to ordering a new set. I've been thinking about it though...
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

The headlights are an exact reverse duplicate of each other and I used thin brown wrapping paper taped over the headlight and then the side of a pencil lead to trace around the light. When I cut then I undercut by a 1/16" top and bottom and I have a french curve to get the arc cut I needed.

They are exact and identical on both sides. I used stock 35% material ( darker ) from Rockblocker. A 9" x 18" sheet did me and you can't see the orange behind it.

The signal light shows as a dark yellow when flashing. So I reatian the required yellow for signals.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Safety Car

i actually just did the blacking out corners in the oven method.
check out the photograph gallery i posted a "psuedo diy"
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ LOL! Getting everybody going on this and then you did the oven! LOL! I thought that was you and someone else doing that in another thread! The tint stuff looks like crap to me! Either you go all out and get the "oven" or just leave it alone. That tint stuff starts coming off and it really looks ricer! Anybody questioning that do a search to see what I mean.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
^ LOL! Getting everybody going on this and then you did the oven! LOL! I thought that was you and someone else doing that in another thread! The tint stuff looks like crap to me! Either you go all out and get the "oven" or just leave it alone. That tint stuff starts coming off and it really looks ricer! Anybody questioning that do a search to see what I mean.
oh well, better for me...less people with the same mod!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by darksom1
That tint stuff starts coming off and it really looks ricer!
Never heard of rockblocker coming off? I've had it on for over a year no problems, where others have had it for a longer time no problems.

Do you have experience with these coming off? Or are you trying to make a point that clearing/blacking is better?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

well pretty much the blacking using the oven is a lotttttttt better
it's just riskier
Old 05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i just tinted my corners today....its not bad....you can kinda see orange from certain angles...but it looks nice too....and i ended up using the excess tint to black out the reverse lights....ill post pics tomorrow after everything dries up i can wipe down some of film....