Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bird Crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bird Crap

Anyone having issues with bird sh*t staining your paint? My paint is fully Z'd with three coats. I had two droppings I didn't wash off for a day or so and I now see the outline in the paint. I have clayed and that did nothing.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jobes
Anyone having issues with bird sh*t staining your paint? My paint is fully Z'd with three coats. I had two droppings I didn't wash off for a day or so and I now see the outline in the paint. I have clayed and that did nothing.

Haha ! I funny how I have issues and come to this site to see someone just post it in the same day give or take.

I too have had bird sh*t on my car and I didnt remove it for ONE day, However it was a HOT day. I just removed it yesterday and in the light I can see the outline you speak of. After researching it I believe you can find stuff specially made to deal with BIRD Droppings. Or you can get some scratchx along with a dual oribital buffer , something like the porter 7424 and try to buff it out. What has to happen is you have to take a layer out of the clear coat. Its the clear coat thats damaged. It sucks I know. I was devestated and my gf was all upset that I was upset over BIRD SHIT. But she doesnt understand the severity of it. Its damaged paint!!! I am thinking of getting the porter 7424 from http://properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html when I have more money. I also noticed some fine scrathes on my car this weekend. I was very upset!!! Black cars . love it but hate it. So hard to care for. Oh well Atleast I look really good clean.

Let this be a warning to everyone - especially NBP Owners.
Carry a squirt bottle of water and car wash soap and a soft clothe that wont scratch your paint with you in your trunk.
Get a black marker and write " BSM on it. "Bird Shit Remover".
Once you get hit , you better care for it right there and then!!

Later and let us know what you did if your going to do something about the shit stain.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

just a note if you are not experienced with a porter i would advise against it. you might do more harm than good.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
just a note if you are not experienced with a porter i would advise against it. you might do more harm than good.
Porters are not professinal polishers. They are for the begginers.
Quote from the site :

Tech Note: Within the industry, this polisher is classified as a dual-action polisher. It is designed to safely apply polish and wax in a manner similar to hand application. It minutes, it creates a mirror-like finish and shine that would otherwise take hours of hand labor. It will not create swirls or remove your car's clear coat finish.

I know it cant take paint or clear coat off however I believe if using scratchx it will somewhat remove it a bit. Very very thin coats. But also another one is meguires swirl remover. Should be perfect to remove a thin layer of clearcoat.

I also have noticed swirls on my car - thats another reason I am getting the porter.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok this is some funny SHYT I havend had this problem *knocks on wood but anyway about a week before I got my beloved Tonya Lee (my TL) i was getting a ride from my freind Tom home from work. There was a big @$$ bird sitting on top of his car (pointac gt) and he yelled "get the F#@$@ off my car!" the bird looked at him took a big green SHYT and flew away. i had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 AM
loves his TL!

ive had this very same problem. my car is parked outdoors (i live in a townhouse), under a tree and it gets its share of bird poop -- usually during the night. so every morning, i have to hose it off and wipe my TL dry. no matter how i love my TL, i got sick and tired of this routine. so i invested in a full-length car cover, available from your local dealership, and it works GREAT! gone are the days when i have to spew fumes out of my ears coz some stupid a$$ bird dropped his load on my baby.

the car cover itself is made out of breatheable fabric, so you dont have to worry about your car paint chipping if its under the sun. its waterproof -- but not weatherproof!! it can withstand light rain, but not a downpour. easy to clean, and very easy to install and remove -- i have it down to a couple of minutes . it also comes with a steel rope and padlock to "prevent" theft of the car cover. -- i know, i know, wire cutters ...

anyway, just my .02!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:16 AM
loves his TL!

oh yeah, i got it for $175 -- which include my brother's acura employee discount
Old 09-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dlouly47
Porters are not professinal polishers. They are for the begginers.
Quote from the site :

Tech Note: Within the industry, this polisher is classified as a dual-action polisher. It is designed to safely apply polish and wax in a manner similar to hand application. It minutes, it creates a mirror-like finish and shine that would otherwise take hours of hand labor. It will not create swirls or remove your car's clear coat finish.

I know it cant take paint or clear coat off however I believe if using scratchx it will somewhat remove it a bit. Very very thin coats. But also another one is meguires swirl remover. Should be perfect to remove a thin layer of clearcoat.

I also have noticed swirls on my car - thats another reason I am getting the porter.
i would still try it carefully, it is a buffer and the polish is the actual cutting material so when applied long enough with the right/wrong polish you can do some damage to the car's finish. i do agree that the porter is the way to go when trying to get a great finish just be careful.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Bird stuff is highly acidic - you must make it acid neutral fast. I carry a small spray bottle (Minoxidil sized) filled with paint detailer - a few spritzes and a wipe and it neutralizes the acid. Let it sit and it will eat through any polish out there and etch your paint.

I use a Porter Cable and have various 6" cutting and polishing foam attachments. Griot's has a system that is idiot-proof; I was trained in my youth how to use orbital sanders and various cutting and polsihing compounds, so I am safe - if you do not have the experience, go with a system like Griot's or you can easily do irreversible damage.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Heaven Watcher

Eeekgads....

In my neck of the woods, bird poop is nothing. Its when you walk out to your
car and see a goose turd the size of a bowling ball baked onto the hood of your
car that you understand the whole feeling.

There are two times a year that it gets even worse than that, migration time. When
whole flocks pass overhead and they all aim right for the nearest cleanest prettiest
car.

I once had a blue ford thunderbird that I walked out and mistakenly didn't see,
because a flock had passed overhead and the entire car was white....I couldn't
believe it.....smelly too.

Anyway, you can use a little Meguiars ScratchX and hand rub it out, the stuff really
works.

Dr. Joe

....most I've ever typed about bird guano...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Bobz

Originally Posted by direk_04TL
ive had this very same problem. my car is parked outdoors (i live in a townhouse), under a tree and it gets its share of bird poop -- usually during the night. so every morning, i have to hose it off and wipe my TL dry. no matter how i love my TL, i got sick and tired of this routine. so i invested in a full-length car cover, available from your local dealership, and it works GREAT! gone are the days when i have to spew fumes out of my ears coz some stupid a$$ bird dropped his load on my baby.

the car cover itself is made out of breatheable fabric, so you dont have to worry about your car paint chipping if its under the sun. its waterproof -- but not weatherproof!! it can withstand light rain, but not a downpour. easy to clean, and very easy to install and remove -- i have it down to a couple of minutes . it also comes with a steel rope and padlock to "prevent" theft of the car cover. -- i know, i know, wire cutters ...

anyway, just my .02!
I got the Acura car cover as part of my negotiations when I bought my TL, however I am disappointed with the cover as it leaves marks on the car, including windshield whenever I use it. So I have stopped using the carcover for now to see which is worse. So far it is six of one half dozen of another. Bird shxxt really damaged my black beemer, so I am trying to be a lot more careful now in wipping it off quicker.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next time you see a bird on your hood pull your shotgun and load it with buck shot. You will kill the bird and the holes in the sheet metal will disguise the poop!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yup I have the same problem. Thanks for tips guys.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Bird stuff is highly acidic - you must make it acid neutral fast. I carry a small spray bottle (Minoxidil sized) filled with paint detailer - a few spritzes and a wipe and it neutralizes the acid. Let it sit and it will eat through any polish out there and etch your paint.
Sounds like good advice. Bird crap is actually both feces and urine - the critters only got the one hole. The urine is indeed highly acidic.

I will add that you should be careful how you wipe and perhaps inspect the gunk first. Since it's also fecal matter, it can contain small stones and other undigested material that, if wiped roughly, can do as much or more damage to the paint as the acid. So wipe gently, which I suppose is a good idea generally.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Banned

Not to get technical, but bird poop is not acidic. Bird urine has large amounts of urea and ammonia both of which are bases. Since poop and urine come out of the same hole, at the same time, in birds (the cloaca) bird "excrement" is a strong base which can tarnish the paint of our cars!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Imho...

If we talk about Urine by human, pH should be between 5.0~8.0. In the morning, the increasing CO2 would make it more acid. After having meals, it would make it more basic. Vegetable food would make it more basic, and holozoic food would make it more acid.

If ammonia is under bacteriolysis, the urine will be more basic.

bird's shit...
Old 09-08-2004, 04:15 PM
SOLD

I have had my NBP damaged as well. Stupid mistake of having a rather large poop on the hood for a week (50 cent size). When I next washed my car, there was still an outline of the poop and in the middle was a pencil eraser sized chip in the paint. NOT there before. The outline has since ceased, but the chip of course is still there. Like a burger, get em while they're fresh. Yum!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

Most bacteria produce acid as a byproduct of metabolism some are urease producers that split urea and produce Ammonia (In humans). We need to find some chicken shit and put a pH meter in it to check all this stuff out!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
loves his TL!

good info on bird poop! however, im sticking with my car cover. id take some amount of dirt over bird poop any day!!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ok, 5 NBP, 2 SSM, 2 DGP, 2 ABP, 1 RRP, 1 AM so far. I feel for you, fellow NBP 04TLers.

Someone working in the lab should do some "shit" experiment.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Instructor

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/
Meguiar’s G-100a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher Kit for $149.99
Old 09-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good urine commentary! I guess this takes us into ramblings.

Rets is right - human urine pH is highly variable. But generally it is acidic, and it can become far more acidic than it can become alkaline. Urea and ammonia are indeed bases, but urine contains excess hydrogen ions that make it acidic.

Vtechbrain is also right that alkaline substances are potentially just as damaging. So it doesn't really matter if the bird poop is acid or base. Either way it's no damn good.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

TLGator, thanks for the update...

This thread is "3G TL Paint finish" issue, hope it's not OT... although it's very close to "wash & wax" topic.

Shit from pigeon or sea gull would be good sample to run some GC or HPLC tests.

I always thought those wax or coating would be always helpful, it seems not.

Please post topics like this into Wash & Wax forum in the future, thanks.