Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Rack Querry

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Question Bike Rack Querry

Do anyone of you guys have Bike Racks on your TL ? If so can you please provide some feedback/pictures/suggestions/preferred brands etc...trying to decide If I should go with a roof-top of a trunk mount....

thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to keep your car looking clean I would go with the trunk mount. Just go down to the local bike shop and take a look around. My only concern with that would be dents or scrathes. But then agian, trying to put bikes on the roof poses a hole set of new problems.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by crazymjb
If you want to keep your car looking clean I would go with the trunk mount. Just go down to the local bike shop and take a look around. My only concern with that would be dents or scrathes. But then agian, trying to put bikes on the roof poses a hole set of new problems.
That is my dilemma I am scared I would scratch my doors or window or roof while trying to get the bike on top...but then if your bike it hanging on the trunk it a bound to jerks and you have a chance to dislocate or dent your trunK....hence looking for some feedback from expriences...
Old 04-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Oakland Team Nighthawker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good question

because it's biking time and i want to take my trek out.

bike rack info anyone?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

What about one of those trailer ones? You would need to get a trailer thingie, and I dunno if they make em for the TL. Those can be ugly though, and the "female" part of the hitch is always their unless you unbolt it.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Racer

I use a Yakama roof rack on my other car and have found it top-notch. the rack is so secure it feels as though you can lift the car with it. The bikes are very stable on the roof rack with the fork mounts (and I have a big tandem) and are of not concern in rough weather. The bike rack is locked to the car and the fork mounts can be locked also. The big disadvange is some folks have driven into low overhangs and garages, killing their bikes. Also, if you max-out carrying capacity, there is a significant wind drag penalty.

The roof racks can also be used to carry canoes and fetch lumber (as I did just yesterday).

My experience with trunk racks is: 1)they tend to move around and scuff the paint a bit, 2) the bikes are less secure (wobble around and from theft), 3) you cannot access the trunk, and 4) if you go over a railroad crossing too fast, you will potato chip the bike wheels (first-hand experience).
Old 04-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Oakland Team Nighthawker

Originally Posted by pettydw
I use a Yakama roof rack on my other car and have found it top-notch. the rack is so secure it feels as though you can lift the car with it. The bikes are very stable on the roof rack with the fork mounts (and I have a big tandem) and are of not concern in rough weather. The bike rack is locked to the car and the fork mounts can be locked also. The big disadvange is some folks have driven into low overhangs and garages, killing their bikes. Also, if you max-out carrying capacity, there is a significant wind drag penalty.

The roof racks can also be used to carry canoes and fetch lumber (as I did just yesterday).

My experience with trunk racks is: 1)they tend to move around and scuff the paint a bit, 2) the bikes are less secure (wobble around and from theft), 3) you cannot access the trunk, and 4) if you go over a railroad crossing too fast, you will potato chip the bike wheels (first-hand experience).
bro,
i just went to yakama and they didn't list anything for the TL. can you be more specific about what rack and accessories you are using? please also tell us how much it was, and where ya got it.

thanks!
Old 04-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by crazymjb
What about one of those trailer ones? You would need to get a trailer thingie, and I dunno if they make em for the TL. Those can be ugly though, and the "female" part of the hitch is always their unless you unbolt it.
The manual says "NO" to any sort of towing...and I dont think I have seen a trailor hitch for TL maybe because there is not place to moun it...
Old 04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
You can get a custom mounted hitch...I think there is a place in LA that makes them. Thule has rack avaliable for the TL, both roof mount and then the strap on rear mounts. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The roof mount is going to be more expensive because you will need a short roof adapter to extend the distance between both the feet. There is also some worry about dropping the bike while loading it onto the roof, especially if you have a fork mount bike carrier.
The trunk mounts are nice because you can take them off when you are not using them. Thule did a very good job at making everything as solid as possible to reduce the risk of scratches and dents. Mount it well and you should have no problems with it at all. New for 05 are trunk mounts with small shock absorbers to provide an even smoother ride with the bikes on the rack.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Instructor

I am an avid rider. The TL simply does not have a trunk large enough to transport my road bike. I don't like the roof mount systems because from what I hear there noisy and alls it takes is one time that you forget the bicycle is on top when you pull into the garage. The trunk mount to me is a scratch or dent ready to happen.
Before I bought the TL I make sure that the car can accomodate a hitch. I know the hitch is a sensative subject here and I might get flamed but it is the best option. I am not talking about a big 2" receiver but an 1 1/4" tucked under the bumper. It is not intrusive at all and does not take away the lines of the car. I had a custom job done on the TL and most weld shops I believe would be able to put one on for you. It was about $400 for the install but well worth it.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Safety Car

someone on this forum has a custom hitch that he mounted on the car. he even posted pics of the hitch. i probably would not go that route and go with the roof rack if you really want to carry your bikes with the car. if you remove the front wheel will the bike fit in the trunk?
Old 04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
someone on this forum has a custom hitch that he mounted on the car. he even posted pics of the hitch. i probably would not go that route and go with the roof rack if you really want to carry your bikes with the car. if you remove the front wheel will the bike fit in the trunk?
No you need to remove both wheels to fit.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Get one of those folding bikes....Or hire some hobo for 3 bucks an hour to steer the bike as you tow it by rope Try explaining that to the insurence company.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Unshunned

Thumbs up

Yakima roof racks are top notch - I've used them for several years with never an incident of scratching, dropping, dinging the car with the bike. Trunks mounts are a pain for all the reasons mentioned plus one - you can't really lock your bike to it like a roof mount, or even a hitch mount. I prefer the roof to the hitch simply because you can take the roof rack off, but not a hitch. (true it's mostly hidden) Even with a hitch mount it can be hard to access the trunk - just one other thought. Also, with a roof rack, you can buy these little sign that go on your dash or hang from mirror to remind you about bike on top. My wife has a hitch mount on her Pathfinder and I'm always worried that she'll either back into something with a bike on there , or close the garage door and have it crash into the extend carrier arm.

Also, there are more than just Yakima racks - Thule and Saris/Graber are excellent products too

***Sorry, I made it sound like the Yakima I used was on my TL, it was/is not. It was on a CRX. I haven't got a rack on my TL ...yet
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Instructor

I am an avid rider. The TL simply does not have a trunk large enough to transport my road bike.
I ride as well and I take my front tire off then put the bike in the back seat. I lay down a blue tarp to protect the seats. It is a little bit of a pain, but does work. Another reason why I miss my subie and why I wish the TL seats would fold down
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 PM
6th Gear

Email Yakima to push for 3'rd generation TL support! I have the Yakima rack(w/Steelhead mouts) that I took off my trade in and was wondering if any the parts would be compatable on my new 3'rd generation TL. So I emailed Yakima (support@yakima.com) and received the following response:

Subject: RE: Moving rack to new car...
Date: 4/26/2005 1:22:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time

Hello <TL2NPI>, Thanks for your inquiry about Yakima Products!

Our fit team is still working on the fit for the Acura TL. I will log feedback so they know more people are looking for them. If you have any other questions, please contact Customer Service at 888-925-0703 7am to 5pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. If you reply to this email, please include all previous correspondence.

Thank you,

Yakima Support

P.S. WaterMark Inc. is soon to release an e-newsletter with surveys, product updates, and news for all of our brands (Dagger, Perception, and Mainstream kayaks, Harmony & AT paddle sport accessories, and Yakima & Rhode Gear car racks). If you are interested in getting the latest info about our products, please respond with the email address that you would prefer to use to receive this publication. We will not give away or sell your email to anyone; it is just for this email. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:27 AM
One on the right for me

Thule already has a roof mount rack for the 2004 TL...I posted all the part numbers in the hitch thread...ill cut and paste when i find them. I deal with Thule a lot since my shop is also thule dealer...both thule and yakhama are pretty much the same, just depends on if you like square or round bars.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:34 AM
One on the right for me

2004 Acura TL Thule rack part numbers
Feet: 400xt (what mounts up with the fit kit to go on the roof) 129.00 dollars
Fit Kit: 2138 (designed specifically for the 3rd gen TL) 50.00 dollars
SRA: 477 (short roof adapter, rec. for more bar space) 105.00 dollars
Bars: LB50 (the load bars) 50.00 dollars

You can get away with not using the SRA if you want to save money but you are limited to a max. bar spread of 16 inches, whereas if you use the SRA the bar spread is increased to 26 inches. It all depends on what you plan on carrying.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:07 AM
RPSGT

I use a Saris Bones bike rack. Have had no problems so far, I put soft polish covers over the legs that rest on the trunk, and the bumper rests are rubber, so a long as the spots you put the legs are clean, nothing has the chance to scratch.