Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware: First experiencing pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware: First experiencing pumping gas

I was using the auto-pump feature at a shell and when it completed, the safety popped and the pump flew out of my gas tank chipping some paint off the car and pouring gas on the quarterpanel.

I learned my lesson. I will hold on to the pump at all times.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
I never had that happen, or heard of it before, but everything is possible. Sorry to hear about your "accident", and thanks for the warning.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Angry

Happened to me too. I thought it was that particular nozzle. Needless to say, I never pump unattended anymore.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there some way you could charge the gas station for the repair, for not leaving ample warning. I mean, a hose spraying gasoline did fly out at you...
Old 06-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

all the stations i go to around toronto have had the auto pump clip removed. i think.... that they are not allowed anymore because of issues like this.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad I read this post..not that it will happen to me because I hold on the handle and allow it to click off while I still hold it, but when I'm visiting my sister in-law in NJ, I noticed that if you say fill up the attendants leave it with the "auto" click on and ltake off to go pump gas to another vehicle....Now I'll just say a dollar amount and then I'll make sure they hang on to the nozzle....
Old 06-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Is there some way you could charge the gas station for the repair, for not leaving ample warning. I mean, a hose spraying gasoline did fly out at you...
absolutely not, this is why america sucks everyone is sue happy and will not take blame for their own mistakes. its freakin common sense that you should attend to the gas pump when filling up. if you read the instructions at the pump(most people don't) no where does it say that you should leave it unattended. in fact in nyc they remove the metal piece so you cannot have it unattended, but people still stick their gas caps there to get it to pump "automatically". if companies were rerquired to put every possible warning on products and services we would all have to read an essay before purchasing anything. unbelievable as soon as something bad happens we look for someone to blame.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:45 PM
6MT & LSD

^i agree.

it's not as if the pump popped out with so much force that it knocked your hand off it. but then again, i don't recall the warning signs saying one must be holding the pump at all times... only that someone must be outside the car, in plain view of the nozzle.

well, i'm gonna go fill up my car and check out some of their warning signs. why? cuz i'm bored... and i'll know who to blame when this happens to me. haha.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:18 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I leave mine unattended while it fills so I can wash my windshield at the same time. I've never had it pop out, but I also am careful to make sure it is firmly seated before letting go. Still, it does pop pretty hard sometimes, so I'm not surprised if they occasionally pop out.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that is unacceptable, that they make a product which, when used as intented, has a tendancy to damage your car. That, and although it is a small amount, you end up paying for fuel that got sprayed onto your car and the ground against your will and intentions.

I always hold onto the pump, because most places don't have the auto fill feature, and I would rather have the control of whats going on. I definately won't use it after incidents like this.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Team Nighthawk

I've been using the auto feature for over five years now (since i got my license)and never had a problem. It's your own damn fault for being lazy not to pump it yourself, therefore don't blame other people for your laziness.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:43 PM
6MT & LSD

well, i just came back from filling my gas, and cruising (hitting vtech is so addicting with a CAI!)... and checked out three different gas stations. shell, mobil, and BP. none of their warnings specify that someone must hold the pump... only that a person must remain outside of the vehicle in plain view of the pump, that's it.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ndx2
well, i just came back from filling my gas, and cruising (hitting vtech is so addicting with a CAI!)... and checked out three different gas stations. shell, mobil, and BP. none of their warnings specify that someone must hold the pump... only that a person must remain outside of the vehicle in plain view of the pump, that's it.
hahaha don't believe you went and actually looked. i don't think the instructions need to be that specific, their's something called common sense that people need to use . when you buy sneakers it doesn't say to walk with one foot in front of the other does it? maybe someone should trip and fall while trying to walk with both feet first and then sue Nike for not printing the instructions.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

The difference here is spraying gassoline all over you car can present it self as a hazard. Think about it, the thing pops out and bangs the car, metal on metal, then it ignites. All they have to do is say "do not leave gas pump unatended" and they will avoid all possibility of a law suit, well most anyway. I like sue happy people, they help my family be able to afford stuff like this.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:32 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by caball88
hahaha don't believe you went and actually looked. i don't think the instructions need to be that specific, their's something called common sense that people need to use . when you buy sneakers it doesn't say to walk with one foot in front of the other does it? maybe someone should trip and fall while trying to walk with both feet first and then sue Nike for not printing the instructions.

oh yeah, i actually went and checked 'em out! the gas stations were all on the same stretch or road... it was nice to stop and cool down the car a bit, too, anyway.

no, of course the directions don't need to be specific. however, if there's an automatic shut-off trigger on the nozzle, my common sense tells me i can use it and leave the nozzle. and if this is indeed a common problem, or something that is expected, it should be stated. i mean if the gas stations expected people to use their common sense, they surely would not have "DO NOT SMOKE" signs everywhere. (cigarette + gasoline = explosion? no way!)

so imho, this is a case where the nozzle/pump was not maintained correctly, hence the malfunction (or are nozzles supposed to pop out, so that idiots don't run off with them still in the tank?).
Old 06-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Here in NJ there is no self-service and all the times I stopped for gas rarely did the attendent stay by the car. They attend to several cars at the same time. I've never seen a nozzle pop out. At a full service gas station I'd be pretty pissed if it were to pop out and scratch the car. I would guess that at a self service station you probably have to hold the nozzle at all times (but then again I think I've pumped my own gas only 2 or 3 times before)

Dumont
Old 06-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Pumping gas

Here in NJ there is no self-service and all the times I stopped for gas rarely did the attendent stay by the car. They attend to several cars at the same time. I've never seen a nozzle pop out. At a full service gas station I'd be pretty pissed if it were to pop out and scratch the car. I would guess that at a self service station you probably have to hold the nozzle at all times (but then again I think I've pumped my own gas only 2 or 3 times before)

Dumont
Old 06-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Make sure you specify an odd amount - cause at some places they can select 10, 15 dollars etc on the pump. It is a catch 22 - cause if the guy leaves then you run the risk of what happened to this guy, chip and a gas bath. If the attendant sticks around - since it is a hard job requiring much strength and balance - so often times these guys will lean on the car, put their grimy hands on the car or put their feet up on tire/rims....ahhhh I love people.

Originally Posted by HEK
I'm glad I read this post..not that it will happen to me because I hold on the handle and allow it to click off while I still hold it, but when I'm visiting my sister in-law in NJ, I noticed that if you say fill up the attendants leave it with the "auto" click on and ltake off to go pump gas to another vehicle....Now I'll just say a dollar amount and then I'll make sure they hang on to the nozzle....
Old 06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by elee712
I was using the auto-pump feature at a shell and when it completed, the safety popped and the pump flew out of my gas tank chipping some paint off the car and pouring gas on the quarterpanel.

Thanks for the heads-up! Sorry about your car though.

I always wondered if that would happen but it is feasible when you think about it though.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Personally, I've never understood this feature on gas pumps. Are you people really in that big of a hurry that you need to be washing your windows or doing some other 1-2 minute activity while pumping gas? Can't you just do one and then the other?

People really need to relax more...learn to chill...lean up against your car, hold the pump, and watch the other cars drive by...
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Team Anthracite Member

But how would people then make their 4 "urgent" phone calls on their cell, and enter in some "urgent" appointment on their PDA if they are holding the pump?

I hear ya man - people are always in such a rush...slow down, enjoy life - it only happens once.

update: ahhhh - Bluetooth Pumps! Nice....

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Personally, I've never understood this feature on gas pumps. Are you people really in that big of a hurry that you need to be washing your windows or doing some other 1-2 minute activity while pumping gas? Can't you just do one and then the other?

People really need to relax more...learn to chill...lean up against your car, hold the pump, and watch the other cars drive by...
Old 06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Peach Tea

You guys must have tons of money. The last time I filled my tank up was probably about a year ago. If you have money to let it auto pump and fill ur tank, you should have money to pay a few dollars to fix the damage it caused.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Team Anthracite Member

If you can't pay to fill it - maybe you shouldn't drive it?

Sorry to hear about your financial problems - it's tough to be 20 years old and have a brand new 30+k car.

Originally Posted by badazzTL
You guys must have tons of money. The last time I filled my tank up was probably about a year ago. If you have money to let it auto pump and fill ur tank, you should have money to pay a few dollars to fix the damage it caused.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Racer

absolutely not, this is why america sucks everyone is sue happy and will not take blame for their own mistakes. its freakin common sense that you should attend to the gas pump when filling up. if you read the instructions at the pump(most people don't) no where does it say that you should leave it unattended. in fact in nyc they remove the metal piece so you cannot have it unattended, but people still stick their gas caps there to get it to pump "automatically". if companies were rerquired to put every possible warning on products and services we would all have to read an essay before purchasing anything. unbelievable as soon as something bad happens we look for someone to blame.
Couldn't have said it better. Its the poor mans way to get rich and why insurance premiums have gone through the roof. There are times and places to sue, just NOT the STUPID reasons I have been hearing.

Maybe the nozzle popped out of the car because of those stupid accordion things on your nozzles in CA. I felt like the nozzle would pop out of the car even before the auto shut off happend.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

auto pump costs more ? are you confusing this with full service?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Peach Tea

Originally Posted by TBone2004
If you can't pay to fill it - maybe you shouldn't drive it?

Sorry to hear about your financial problems - it's tough to be 20 years old and have a brand new 30+k car.

actually my car isn't brand new, it was 5 years ago when I was 15 and first got it when I had my permit.

Originally Posted by DonKron
auto pump costs more ? are you confusing this with full service?
No, I didn't say auto pump costs more. Obviously if he's using the auto pump feature he is not paying attention to how much it's going to cost to put gas into his car, he's goin to fill it up regardless of the cost. Therefore he lets the pump shut off automatically when the tank is full.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
No, I didn't say auto pump costs more. Obviously if he's using the auto pump feature he is not paying attention to how much it's going to cost to put gas into his car, he's goin to fill it up regardless of the cost. Therefore he lets the pump shut off automatically when the tank is full.
That's what I figured you meant by that...however, how else do you fill your car up if you don't fill the whole tank, put in $10 every time? That's pretty lame. Of course, you're in college, so you probably don't do a lot of driving...no need to have a full tank in a car sitting in the parking lot 90% of the time.

But, in the long run it costs the same either way (the $1-2 difference in gas prices from week to week is irrelevant)...spending $10 this week and $10 next week is the same as spending $20 this week and not buying gas next week.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

LOL
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The clip is removed on every gas station I've been to. I have a video on my computer of a lady jamming it open and then her SUV catches fire as she goes to sit in the driver's seat! People are stupid. Pump your own gas, and if you're really all miffed about it, go to a full serve pump and pay the extra money for full service! In that case, if something goes wrong, THEN you can blame them...
Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Team Nighthawk

Originally Posted by youngTL
The clip is removed on every gas station I've been to. I have a video on my computer of a lady jamming it open and then her SUV catches fire as she goes to sit in the driver's seat! People are stupid. Pump your own gas, and if you're really all miffed about it, go to a full serve pump and pay the extra money for full service! In that case, if something goes wrong, THEN you can blame them...
it's rare to find a full station around the Chicago burbs area... may in the small towns. Anyway I don't mind getting out and putting gas in (I take that back, winter time sucks)
Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
6MT & LSD

ok, i agree with you guys who are saying one should use his/her common sense and attend to your own pump. but, i'd like to see your reaction when you let your hand off the nozzle for a second or two, to do whatever the hell may require your hands, and it pops out spilling gas all over and the nozzle scratching the shit out of your car.

despite what you guys are saying here, i highly doubt that you'll look at the situation and think that it's your fault.

bottom line is, nozzles are not supposed to pop out of the tank. common sense at a gas station is to not smoke, or fuck around with a lighter, and be outside and watch the pump/your car to make sure the gas doesn't overfill and spill out.

i gotta admit, while i stay outside the car, no matter how miserable the weather is, i don't always have my hand on the pump. i have not anyone who do, either.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ensley696
Couldn't have said it better. Its the poor mans way to get rich and why insurance premiums have gone through the roof. There are times and places to sue, just NOT the STUPID reasons I have been hearing.

Maybe the nozzle popped out of the car because of those stupid accordion things on your nozzles in CA. I felt like the nozzle would pop out of the car even before the auto shut off happend.

You're exactly right...It was those types of accordion nozzles. I've been using those for years and I still dont understand it...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DonKron
all the stations i go to around toronto have had the auto pump clip removed. i think.... that they are not allowed anymore because of issues like this.

You can usually wedge something like and oversized key between the trigger and frame and it will work.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Racer

You're exactly right...It was those types of accordion nozzles. I've been using those for years and I still dont understand it...
Someone told me that the accordion nozzle is to keep the gas fumes out of the air or something like that. I know we do not have them in Florida.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Drifting

RIGHT ON!!! In Europe people who bring frivilous lawsuits end up paying for both lawyers if they loose. That's the reason they don't have nearly as many stupid lawsuits as the USA. People here are "sue-crazy" and never take responsibility for their own stupid mistakes. It's like blame someone else for my mistake...get a lawyer who works on comission, and sue sue sue. Hey dude...you f###ed up....accept responsibility.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by chill_dog
That's what I figured you meant by that...however, how else do you fill your car up if you don't fill the whole tank, put in $10 every time? That's pretty lame. Of course, you're in college, so you probably don't do a lot of driving...no need to have a full tank in a car sitting in the parking lot 90% of the time.

But, in the long run it costs the same either way (the $1-2 difference in gas prices from week to week is irrelevant)...spending $10 this week and $10 next week is the same as spending $20 this week and not buying gas next week.

I always fill my tank. I hate just putting in $10 worth of gas, because I drive so much, I'll be at the gas station again in a couple of days.