Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best car/booster seat for 05TL???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best car/booster seat for 05TL???

Hello everyone. So all of you should know by now i'm a current owner of a 05 NBP/Camel/Navi/AT. Just got my windows tinted on yesterday with the Pinnacle Series at 35% all around. (speaking of the 35%, it seems like it's a lil darker than 35%) I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten 35% and it seemed to be darker...

But anyway let me get to the point... So i have a 9 month old son, he'll be 10 months on the 22 of this month. First question is at what age can they be front facing? Is it at 1 year old or a lil before? Next question which is the main one, for those of you out there that have kids around this age or close to being 1 year old, which car/booster seat did you go with? I'm definitely not trying to be buying 2 and 3 car seats as he keeps getting older. So i'm sure they're people on here that again have around the same age, or even when your child was around that age, which car seat did you go for and for how long will it last? If you answer this i'd greatly appreciate it. I'm looking at purchasing a good one over the weekend. Also if you could include how it fits in the car as well.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:44 AM
9th Gear

You can generally do front facing after the kid hits both 1 year and 20 pounds.

For my money, the best car seat out there is the britax marathon. It's reversible, so you can buy it now, and switch it around later. The kid can use it until they don't need a car seat anymore. It lasts until 6 years old, at least.

It's a big carseat, and it's a snug fit, especially when it's rear facing. When you turn it around, it fits better. If you want a smaller one that fits a bit better, try the Britax Roundabout. Same as the Marathon, only smaller, and can only last until 4 years old.

Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:43 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Greetings ac2001cls,

I concur with jdbruce. You can't go wrong with any of the Britax childseats/boosters, We have two youngsters and they have been in Britax from near first breath. You will pay more for Britax (sometimes near twice the cost) but the quality, safety, comfort, and ergonomics are worth it. I'll have to admit my wife is the expert on seats etc. but like Bruce mentioned, go by the weight of the child not the age when placing them in the proper seat - not to mention front/rear facing determination etc.

Our Britax seats do not utilize the integrated seat "hooks" found in the TL/newer cars. And to be honest, the kids rarely ride in our TL. "Mom" loves her Suburban. The TL is my commute vehicle. Anyway, "Google" for Britax products. You should find sites that explain each seat and its optimum child weight etc.

You may find like us that you will end up purchasing two seats during your infants/child's growth to seat belt use (not counting the first "infant" seat/carrier). The first one will/may get you through (like Bruce mentioned) the infant up to 20-30 lb range. Your second will take you from there to like 60 lbs. At that time/weight seat belts are safe. If your wife is like mine, your kids will be in an infant-childseat/then booster up to the max weight of the seat... My kids are well aware of moms/my phrase: "safety first".

Another nice thing about Britax is you can purchase replacement covers and belts for them. This allowed us to "hand me down" our seat to the second child when she weighed enough. Less than $30 and the seat was like new etc yet at the time over 3 years old... To be honest, that exact seat (originally purchased in 1998), received its third replacement cover (and new belts) and is now getting good use by a close friend/child. The covers will get faded from sun and washing but the body is/are built to last.

Crap, I sound like I own stock in Britax .... Not the case, but have been very impressed by their products.

Congrats on your TL and child.

Cheers
Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I absolutely agree on the Britax choice. We have a 3 yr. old and another coming (due date was yesterday!!!... HURRY UP!).. We have 3 cars with baby seats in them. My wife has the Britax in hers... I have crappier brands in my 2. The Britax is the easiest to adjust, looks the most comfortable and locks down perfectly into any newer car. Hers is in an '02 Camry SE, but the lockdowns are the same in the TL. I don't even know what brands of car seats I have. When the new baby is old enough to go from the stroller seat to an true baby seat, I will be purchasing another Britax for her. Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Racer

Thanks a lot everyone for the info!!!

JDBruce.... So you were mentioning about the Britax Marathon and how it was rather big, have you used this in your TL and if so, then how much room did it take up and was it a good fit so if someone was in the front seat they wouldn't be crunched up? (taking into consideration that my son would be "front" facing) And i'm assuming that you've had this car seat since your child turned one year old? Because my whole thing is i won't the best car seat for him when he turns 1 and gets to 20 lbs. and i won't that to be the ONLY car seat i buy until he's at the age to where he doesn't need one anymore. So i'm assuming based on that, it would be the Marathon as you mentioned. But then again as i asked before, how is the fit/size while in the TL if you've tried that?

KJSmitty... Which brand of Britax do you have?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I have the same seat (1 for my wife's car and another for mine)

in the tl w/ that in the middle my 2 other kids 11 and 9 still have room to sit on either side in the backseat
Old 08-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Pro

...and don't forget to put a towel underneath the car seat to prevent deep impressions on the rear seats!
Old 08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Racer

Oh yea thanks for mentioning that to me AcidHorse. So i'm assuming that it'll definitely make an impression? I wonder would it be less noticeable with the 05's since they reinforced the leather, as far as stiching?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 PM
9th Gear

If you want to buy one seat now, and use it until they don't need a car seat anymore, then the Britax Marathon is the only real option.

The Marathon definitely fits, but it's a bit tight. When the kid is 1-3 years old, it'll fit great. When the kid's 4-6, then you may have to move the front seat up a bit.

Honestly, I think the best bet for the TL is to get the Roundabout, use it from 0-4, and then switch to a booster seat. You'll have much more room, and it won't cost you very much more.

JD
Old 08-12-2005, 11:12 PM
9th Gear

Oh yeah,

Definitely use some sort of mat underneath the car seat. Either buy one of the mats you can get commercially, or use a towel or something.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Racer

JDBruce.... So why did you say to just opt for the Roundabout? Is it because of the space issue that you suggested this? And also as far as something to put down underneath the seat, what do you suggest for this? And again just to clarify and confirm this, i'm assuming that the best car seat is the Britax models?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 AM
loving the eastern heat..

For those of with older children.... I purchased the Combi Everest booster seat for my 6yr old. Although she's old enough and weighs enough (barely -- law is 6yrs/40lbs, she's 43lbs) to go w/o the booster seat... I just didn't feel comfortable w/o her having it.

I put a non-skid mat underneath it to keep the seating from sliding as the boosters don't use the latch system. It works real well for her and she doesn't complain about having to ride in a car seat because she feels it's a BIG girl seat. So we're both happy.

http://www.combistrollers.com/produc...at_everest.htm
Old 08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
9th Gear

Yes, the reason I say go with the Roundabout is because it fits better. It's also a bit cheaper.

You can use the money you save to buy a big kid booster seat later on (with cupholders!)

I can't remember what mat I'm using. I just grabbed it at the counter at the car seat store. Anything will do.

There are other good car seat models, but my wife has always gotten the Britax. She does about 40 hours of research for every car seat/stroller/whatever we buy for the kids. I'm only parroting her.

JD
Old 08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Racer

Once again thanks jdbruce... your info has really been helpful. I also don't know anything at all about car seats, so i think i'll listen to your wife on this one and go along w/ her. I'll prolly go by BabiesRUs when i get off work tonight, b/c i think they carry Britax. So i will check it out. Now the only other hard question to answer is what color to choose from that'll go well w/ my Camel interior! :-)