Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement Technique?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Battery Replacement Technique?

I'll be changing my battery tomorrow and have an idea that might save some time (hopefully) by preserving the presets, nav/radio security, nav hack, etc.

Here's the idea:

1. write down all the XM preset info in case this plan doesn't work.
2. attach a power source to the aux power socket. (This hopefully will sustain power to everything while I replace the battery.)
3. turn on ignition to accessory #1 position so power source is enabled
4. disconnect power from battery, carefully dealing with positive cable lead and covering
5. connect new battery
6. disconnect power source

==> I'm theorizing that all my settings will be preserved ????

I got this idea by remembering Acura has a device for streamlining battery replacements (June 2007 Service News). Besides being extra careful with the cables, is there something I'm missing?

I bought both a red top optima and a conventional group 3 battery in case there's an issue with the optima. One will get returned to Costco after I'm done with the transplant.

I'll report tomorrow on if this works, but I'm hoping to get a response from someone that has already tried this technique. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
just plug in the temp power to the lighter- thats made to keep power to the accessory

remove battery- replace- done
Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Team Owner

by temp power I mean that device that plugs into the lighter and contains a small battery- made just for this purpose
Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Thanks. I have a combo power source (jumper, air compressor, light) that has the cigarette adapter attachment. I think the key point is leaving the ignition on accessory position #1 so the circuit isn't isolated. I'll leave the radio on as well so I can hear verify and be entertained during the operation.

This should work in theory, but I'll hedge with saving presets just in case. I did a search and didn't find anything on this forum anyway.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Team Owner

let us know how that works for you
Old 09-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't you replace the battery with the car on? I've seen it done many times before.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
When my '05 automatic's battery was replaced last year, nothing was lost. All of the wife's presets remained the same. All I needed to have her do was to enter her code.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

baller- the difficult part of replacing the battery on a running car is the electrocution danger
Just disconnecting or hooking the cables up on a non running vehicle requires care and a special order--you dont remove the ground cable and then grab the pos!!!!
Using jumper cables requires extreme care, now you are holding both sides of live power!

Electricity is always looking for the `path of least resistance` to Ground/Earth
When you are the part in-between a hot and a ground- YOU become that path!

Add the alternator running and pushing mass quantity of AMPS at the pos cable..it only takes 1 amp to KILL a human,,,

Cannot imagine where you have seen this done before...maybe on tv- with CGI~
but no trained person would do it, IMO (exception for Darwin Award candidates)
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Okay- I had a successful operation! Everything is saved and works. This took just 1/2 hour at most because I had a couple neighbors 'supervising' the operation and I had to snip the plastic cover.

I wound up using the conventional battery instead of the Optima because the Positive cable isn't long enough (needs about 2 inches more length)- good thing I bought both types of batteries. To get the black plastic cover to fit, I used a PVC pipe cutter to snip the support columns on the cover. The cover fits pretty well now but doesn't snap into fastener new the + post. It's barely noticable anyway.

Regarding the 'leave the car running' idea... Not only is there an electrocution risk present, but you also risk frying your alternator as well. Alternators need a source to place the generated electricity. There's also the issue with leaving your car running in your garage and wasting gas as well. I had a power source and this is definitely the way to go! My neighbor just had his battery replaced at VW and they charged him $115 just for the install because of all the work with dealing with resets and such- such a ripoff. He's going to use this technique next time.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 09-12-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: details
Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

I've noticed the past couple of weeks that my battery was going, but I am the queen of procrastination. Well, it definitely bit me in the a**, because I went to get in my car this morning, and half way through the engine starting, the battery offically died. What kind of battery should I get? Any recommondations?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 714Acura
I've noticed the past couple of weeks that my battery was going, but I am the queen of procrastination. Well, it definitely bit me in the a**, because I went to get in my car this morning, and half way through the engine starting, the battery offically died. What kind of battery should I get? Any recommondations?
That was what I did not want to deal with so I changed the battery today while it was still working. My battery was just 12.1 volts today before changing and I suspect it would have died this month anyway.

I bought a Kirkland conventional battery for $65 including the core deposit. The Optima (at least the one at Costco) doesn't fit because the cable is too short. The optima is 3 lbs lighter and has more CCAs but the new one is still 100 CCAs higher than stock so that is not too bad either. I say go to Walmart or Costco. I have never had a problem with a Kirkland battery and it has a 3 yr guarantee.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I disconnected my battery the radio presets were not lost, though I did have to enter the secret code.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Regarding the 'leave the car running' idea... Not only is there an electrocution risk present, but you also risk frying your alternator as well. Alternators need a source to place the generated electricity. There's also the issue with leaving your car running in your garage and wasting gas as well. I had a power source and this is definitely the way to go! My neighbor just had his battery replaced at VW and they charged him $115 just for the install because of all the work with dealing with resets and such- such a ripoff. He's going to use this technique next time.
When you remove the battery on modern cars, they won't keep running because the ecu needs currect from the battery.
I use a EZ Red Computer Saver that plugs into the OBD recepticle under the dash, but it runs around $70.

Never used this, but looks like a very inexpensive way to save the memory:
http://12voltinstallertools.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=10952
Old 09-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Drifting

^ good find on the Kastar! I already had the PowerStation I bought a while back, but the OBD saver would be good if I was a professional- that's what the Acura dealer has. I was able to listen to the car radio while doing the swap with my solution and that was nice. That Kastar would certainly work as long as you don't have the dome lights on with an open door.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

good point turbo! Im old and forget about the modern electronics
Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Like someone mentioned above, I've disconnected my battery for upto an 3 hours once, and when I re-connected it, all of my presets and settings were still there. All I had to do was enter the Radio and Nav codes. I have an '08. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Drifting

I wasn't sure what was going to be re-entered. The 2 codes are easy, but reteaching the driver #1/#2 settings, windows up/down, idle-learn procedure sounded tedious and would take longer than swapping the battery. I wasn't sure about my navi hack as well. If you can disconnect the battery and actually preserve all those settings, that would be great! Seems like acura wouldn't need a special tool if this was indeed the case. Perhaps there is a capacitor that preserves some of this info for the radio itself but I suspect not everything is preserved.

I know preservation did not occur in our Honda Pilot though when I replaced the battery so I assume the same thing would happen with the Acura.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
All your settings should be saved in the system. No need to go through all this. Just put in your acess code for Navi and Radio. Your good to go.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Drifting

^Can someone chime in and say that this is indeed the case? I have heard all types of claims on different threads. To me 'should' does not mean it definitely does without a doubt. Perhaps this info will help all the others in need of new batteries. I was most concerned about my Navi hack that I appeared to have lost my boot disk for.

I did notice my stocky battery was low in fluid so maybe others should check their fluid too- might prolong the life of the battery.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
baller- the difficult part of replacing the battery on a running car is the electrocution danger
Just disconnecting or hooking the cables up on a non running vehicle requires care and a special order--you dont remove the ground cable and then grab the pos!!!!
Using jumper cables requires extreme care, now you are holding both sides of live power!

Electricity is always looking for the `path of least resistance` to Ground/Earth
When you are the part in-between a hot and a ground- YOU become that path!

Add the alternator running and pushing mass quantity of AMPS at the pos cable..it only takes 1 amp to KILL a human,,,

Cannot imagine where you have seen this done before...maybe on tv- with CGI~
but no trained person would do it, IMO (exception for Darwin Award candidates)
Yikes, after you mentioned that.. I give my mechanic props. I'm not lying either, I've seen it with my own eyes this is his shop http://www.ravalsauto.com/

I thought the same thing, and when I said "Does the car need to off?" he simply replied, "Yeah, unless you know what you're doing."
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Team Owner

Or unless you ~THINK you know what you are doing~

What was ok in the 70s is not relative to todays car electronics
Sure I can make a car run without the alternator --but its bad for several parts!
Your guy may make money in 6 months when a computer mysteriously fries