Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad tint job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by WayneJay
I haven't noticed any halos, but I'll be sure to check. Hazy is probably a more accurate description. The first time I saw it I was thinking that the inside of the windows just needed to be cleaned, but unfortunately it wasn't that simple.
The glue in between the tint film and the glass is separating the film. This can be caused by either cheap film, or just excess parking the car outside in the sun and thus exposing it to heat. But the better films just tend not to do that, but that's not to say I haven't seen that happen. They need to replace the tint, only solution.

I've posted this in other threads, if you have dark interior and don't want to go too dark, the best combo in my opinion is 20% on the rear glass, and 35% on all 4 sides. People are weary putting 2 different shades, but I can assure you, that you can't tell and it looks so clean and darker then 35% all around but lighter than 20% all around. Happy medium. You will not see any shade different at all guaranteed. I have pictures to prove that shit.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ actually i was going to ask another tint dealer tommorrow if the guy used the same kind of tint on all my windows, cuz i have 20% all around, but when i look at the side windows the tint is a solid dark shade of black. when i look at the rear window, it looks black with a shade of blue. not sure if that's just the sky's reflection but mine as well make sure right? lol

anyways. got a busy day tommorrow. x_X

first gonna bring it to another window tinter to quote me on just re-doing the back panels, then going back to my original tinter to re-do the rear window to get rid of that strand of hair between the tint and glass, and then i will ask for him to redo the back panels correctly. if not, then i'm going to ask him to refund me/pay me the price its going to take to do them correctly at the other shop. and hopefully all goes well this time lol.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

just picked up my 08 RL couple wks ago, anybody know good tinting place in queen, ny.

thx
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

ok folks, this is all public info, can be found at netsol dot com/whois

www.theartoftint.com has been known as the best tinter in NYC area. not sure why his site is down. i can highly recommend him.

The Art of Tint
Tom Kovach
200 rector place apt 5m
New York, NY 10280
US
Phone: 212-869-5800
Email: TheArtofTint@aol.com
Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo_Kid
ok folks, this is all public info, can be found at netsol dot com/whois

www.theartoftint.com has been known as the best tinter in NYC area. not sure why his site is down. i can highly recommend him.

The Art of Tint
Tom Kovach
200 rector place apt 5m
New York, NY 10280
US
Phone: 212-869-5800
Email: TheArtofTint@aol.com
Yeah he tinted my car, its on the first page. He's a pro.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
RETIRED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jesus, I paid $350 for my 5% tints, but they did a quality job, and I have lifetime warranty.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM
6th Gear

Looks Good ,I Have 5% AllAround
Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

ok, so i just got back from the tint shop and boy am i pretty ticked off after standing out there talking to him about it for 10 mins.

first off, i asked the guy about the back panels and he told me that the way our cars are made, the little "gasket" (basically the part that isn't tinted (gray strip).) is too sticky to get back there and he wont be able to clean it and that he may not even be able to squeegie back there and that the tint will suffer from debris and white specks. I told him that i've seen it done on our cars many times and that considering he alraedy left the white speck of hair on my rear window, to at least try. HE told me after doing so many "hondas" before he doesn't even want to touch it. He then told me he wouldn't refund me becuz "it wasn't his fault that the car was built that way making it "impossible to tint that part" and that he wasn't going to pay for that."

i then proceed to ask him what he can do about my rear window, and he told me that he wouldn't fix that either becuz it's impossible to get it "perfect" without a nasa space station -_-" and basically told me "sh*t happens". yet he told me that he stands behind his work before i left the tint shop saturday -_-"....

fucking ridiculous. he also said the reason why some people can get it done is because they take the entire back panel window out to tint it and that it will take even longer to do that. yet he told me "he isn't a glass man and that he still won't do it". which brings me to ask my fellow aziners that have gotten their windows tinted, how long did it take your tinter to finish your car for those of you who got it perfect the first time, and do you know how they were able to tint your back panels? seems like now i have to go find another tint shop to do my back panels and this time i want them done right with no fuckin' problems.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Racer

my car took approx 3 hours, give or take. maybe even lil longer -- but it got done right
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
ADVANCE.

Man, they are idiots. Cut your losses and go somewhere else bro. He isn't going to do anything for you but waste your time. I'm sorry you had to go through this. If he was good at what he does that back quarter window would be nothing for him. I-D-I-O-T!

PEACE!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pnoi521
But at least they didnt cut around the 3rd brake light. I know this guy with a 3g Tl and he has the same quarter window gaps and they cut around his 3rd brake light, it looks so bad.
Whats so bad about cutting around a brake light? If you do it right its fine and you keep the functionality of the light intact.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i had a bad time at the tint shop to. i got every window in the car tinted 15% even the front (which stayed on there for about 1 hour) but dude burn my door panel and window modding. i was pissed and he told me he can fix it by spray painting the black window modding. and i had a bunch of pin head size bubbles that some went away and some didnt. well after arguing with the douche bag i got the tint for free. and replaced the window modding for 30 bucks. which aint a bad deal
Old 06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
which brings me to ask my fellow aziners that have gotten their windows tinted, how long did it take your tinter to finish your car for those of you who got it perfect the first time.

3-4 hours. Back window was cut as one piece. The 09 TL was the easiest window i have done in a lonnnnnng time. The double curved back windows are a B#tch.

Tinting takes patience. If you don't have it then don't do it. Just my
Old 06-08-2009, 02:55 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Originally Posted by CCBBUUMM
Whats so bad about cutting around a brake light? If you do it right its fine and you keep the functionality of the light intact.

god that actually looks really good x_X

i might need to even bring this to a shop to see if they can do it lol it looks good xp

Last edited by MobTownTL; 06-08-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

so here it is, after calling around a billion tint shops and talking to a few people, most people told me to argue it with the business owner not the shop manager for the sake of saving money. Since there wasn't any "No Refunds" sign, and the guy refused to give me a refund policy when i asked, either they fix it for free or give me a refund. if not then i might have to call the BBB and see what they say about that.

i have an appointment to go bring my car to the business owner's actual shop and let him look it over first though. hopefully he see's what i see, the shop manager just didnt want to re-do a simple job and decided to just cut me as a customer rather than "waste film". but we'll see how the business owner feels when he hears that his employees care nothing about customer service and dont mind "cuttin' loose a few customers".
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ You're wasting your time. Live and Learn, and just re-tint that rear portion through someone else, just make sure they use the same tint. Even if those guys agree to re-tint, do you want them working on your car now with that attitude?

And I agree with J-Steele... they are morons, and just don't take pride in their work. If you were in NY I'd help you out and take you to my tinter. He's got the contract for all the NYPD cop cars and does very high end work.

And they don't have to take the entire door panel off, just pull it back enough to get in that crevice for about 5 to 8 mts. Taking a door panel off is like a joke dude. He would have had to spend an extra 20 mts. to do both sides perfect for you. What a joke. When people are incompetent and can't do something, they'll tell you that it can't be done to make themselves look better. Hate people like that.

My car was done in 1.5 hours, including windshield. All tint was computer cut with laser precision. So the tint goes all the way to the edge of all windows. Looks like factory glass not added tint. Now that's quality and taking pride in your work.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 06-08-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
^^ You're wasting your time. Live and Learn, and just re-tint that rear portion through someone else, just make sure they use the same tint. Even if those guys agree to re-tint, do you want them working on your car now with that attitude?

And I agree with J-Steele... they are morons, and just don't take pride in their work. If you were in NY I'd help you out and take you to my tinter. He's got the contract for all the NYPD cop cars and does very high end work.

And they don't have to take the entire door panel off, just pull it back enough to get in that crevice for about 5 to 8 mts. Taking a door panel off is like a joke dude. He would have had to spend an extra 20 mts. to do both sides perfect for you. What a joke. When people are incompetent and can't do something, they'll tell you that it can't be done to make themselves look better. Hate people like that.

My car was done in 1.5 hours, including windshield. All tint was computer cut with laser precision. So the tint goes all the way to the edge of all windows. Looks like factory glass not added tint. Now that's quality and taking pride in your work.
where in NY can i find this guy? i need my other car tinted...

on my TL, it took about 2 hrs... but i only did the back half of the car... a bubble didn't dry after a week so i took it back to them to redo.. no questions asked... i also realized that since they had three guys working on my car (1 for the rear window, and 1 for each side), on one side, the guy tinted the small rear window all the way to the end, and on the other side the guy didn't... shows which one was the noob... but i showed it to owner and he got the guy to fix that window so both sides went all the way to the edge... looks great...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S

right on Elegant, are you back in NYC? when are you gonna visit S. FL. again? it was a pleasure meeting you last time u were down here at the meet by Dophin Mall....

as for the tint, removing door panels is asking for trouble.... just imagine they messed up and strange noises come up after a tint job who are you gonna call? and that might void the warrenty if dealers found out that u let some morons remove the door panel just to install tint..... if you are down in S. FL., I'll take u to my tinter..... $80 w/ life time warrenty, the only way for them to pull that off is to have perfect job that gives zero problem..... u can't beat that....
Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

it just doesnt look right on a TL. it only take 30 sec to take down the brkke light cover, and makes it easier to do the film, no blading around it, etc. and it looks better.

Last edited by Turbo_Kid; 06-08-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

well after going to the owner of the business, i realised he's just as much of a jackass as the shop manager at the other store. basically fed me the exact same bullshit the manager tried to feed me. so basically, i just kept telling them that there are too many specks of dust that are too noticeable by just looking at it, not even studying it, i can count like 5 noticeable dots on the outside of the car, 10 on one even. its ridiculous that they can even call this quality work and try to make it look better with a "lifetime guarantee".

but anyways, we sat there and argued about the back panel. he kept telling me its too tight of a squeeze to get the film back in there and i told him a ton of people with TL's have tinted the back panels perfectly. but he just wants to be a jackass and keep saying its too tight. well i told him another tint shop said they can do it, and so he agreed that if the other shop does it correctly and i like it, then they'll pay $50 dollars of the total bill. i was like ok w.e. beats having them try to re-do it with a "i told you so" attitude. sucks cuz i went to the other shop and saw that they computer cut the tint which looks so much nicer already compared to the shit job the other place did trying to hand cut the damn tint x_X... lopsided windows... gotta keep the windows up before anyone notices now... sigh... oh wells. hope tommorrow gets better than what i've been dealing with. if the guys that tell me they can do it fuck this shit up, basically going to be looking at paying for an entire new damn tint job cuz i'm sick of this right now lol.

/rant
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

MobTown,
sorry to hear that frustration. some shops just do shiaty jobs and wont make the customer happy. once you pay they dont want to see you again. the best you can do is inform others not to go there, and then when you can have your tint fixed. sometimes it is best to start over. rip out the old and get new. but be warned about just peeling the rear as the tint glue can peel the defroster lines from the glass. using a steamer is the safest way.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

^^^ thanks for the tip man, i was actually considering it. if the shop doing my panels do a "quality job" then i'm going to just get them to re do my entire car. im just going to take ya'lls advice and swallow the fact they did a shitty job already and just pay to have a good job done. lesson will be learned. believe me.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

well, just got back from the shop and i'm pretty satisfied with the job they did. Ran me 74.90, but only 25 bucks out of my pocket. The rest goes to the original tint shop. =] Not too bad of a price in my opinion. here are a couple of pics, i'll take some better pics later when the sun isn't out melting the world ! =[

just looks so much cleaner and better.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
looks like they just tinted over the old tint.. boy.. idk what's up with the tint shops over there but damn.. glad you got some money back. I paid $60 to have my two front windows redone.. so $75 is definitely a ripoff.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

^^^ they replaced it with new film if thats what you were talking about lol. its all one piece. plus it'd be 2x darker if they tinted over xP
Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM

^^^ they replaced it with new film if thats what you were talking about lol. its all one piece. plus it'd be 2x darker if they tinted over xP
Take a look at the 2nd pic.. it looks like you can see the edge of the old tint.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

ok, here's the skinny on doing the rear quarter correctly.

if any tinter says its too tight then walk away. the issue with the rear quarter has nothing to do with the film, it has to do with cleaning the area properly. that area inside the car is difficult to clean properly and only good tinters can do it right. and having a clean surface to start with is the key foundation to having the film adhere properly.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Majofo
Take a look at the 2nd pic.. it looks like you can see the edge of the old tint.
no, thats the new film under the inside rubber molding. this is the molding many newbie tinters cant get tint under, so they slice around it. probably just lighting making it look that way in that pic, etc.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo_Kid
no, thats the new film under the inside rubber molding. this is the molding many newbie tinters cant get tint under, so they slice around it. probably just lighting making it look that way in that pic, etc.
ah, thanks for the claro.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Much better!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

well yours actually looks good.
his looked pretty bad..
Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
where in NY can i find this guy? i need my other car tinted...

on my TL, it took about 2 hrs... but i only did the back half of the car... a bubble didn't dry after a week so i took it back to them to redo.. no questions asked... i also realized that since they had three guys working on my car (1 for the rear window, and 1 for each side), on one side, the guy tinted the small rear window all the way to the end, and on the other side the guy didn't... shows which one was the noob... but i showed it to owner and he got the guy to fix that window so both sides went all the way to the edge... looks great...
I actually posted it in the NY/NJ forum. But I'll throw it in here as well. All I can say is www.tintmax.com. Speak to Steve and he will set it up, but he is very busy and you might have to wait, cuz he's in high demand. Has the contract for all NYPD cars and does lambo and ferraris all the time.

I've been told by a few that he gives the people that I send him a little break on the price, so if you want to mention my name go for it. I've been going to him for 10 years and have all of my family's cars done through him.. about 12 cars. Some with Paint Protection and all. Shoot me a PM and let me know how he treated you.

Originally Posted by psheu
right on Elegant, are you back in NYC? when are you gonna visit S. FL. again? it was a pleasure meeting you last time u were down here at the meet by Dophin Mall....

as for the tint, removing door panels is asking for trouble.... just imagine they messed up and strange noises come up after a tint job who are you gonna call? and that might void the warrenty if dealers found out that u let some morons remove the door panel just to install tint..... if you are down in S. FL., I'll take u to my tinter..... $80 w/ life time warrenty, the only way for them to pull that off is to have perfect job that gives zero problem..... u can't beat that....

I'm actually in South Miami as I type. Hopefully next meet, we'll all link up again.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

And btw Mobtown, that looks 1000x better. Laser cutting FTW. And if for whatever reason you want to redo the entire job, please go with 3M this time.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 06-09-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

^^^ haha yeahs. ironic thing is, i went to an official 3M dealer and came out with Madico xP. the guy i talked to today told me that the people i went too actually put other brands of tint into 3M boxes so it looks like they stock up on 3M and really give other people random shit =\.

but yeahs wish i had the rest of my car computer cut. oh wells. its made a 100% improvement so i'm satisfied now. just waiting for the bubbles to settle so i can go back and rub it in the other guys faces and get my reimbursement. =]
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
any one of u guys know if johnson window film is any good. tried searching for reviews but didnt find nuthin.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
also, my wife was gonna get me the tints for fathers day but is 250 for 7 windows w/ 3m film and $15/window for moleskin a decent price, so $310.00 all in all.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by r3n3gad3II
any one of u guys know if johnson window film is any good. tried searching for reviews but didnt find nuthin.
Post # 9 in this very thread offers some information

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...30&postcount=9
Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by r3n3gad3II
dunno. i only recommend Solar Gard, Huper Optik, and Formula One's Pinnacle line.

probably made by a bigger manufacturer, maybe 3M or Bekaert (bekeart makes solar gard, etc)

Last edited by Turbo_Kid; 06-09-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

^^^ haha yeahs. ironic thing is, i went to an official 3M dealer and came out with Madico xP. the guy i talked to today told me that the people i went too actually put other brands of tint into 3M boxes so it looks like they stock up on 3M and really give other people random shit =\.

but yeahs wish i had the rest of my car computer cut. oh wells. its made a 100% improvement so i'm satisfied now. just waiting for the bubbles to settle so i can go back and rub it in the other guys faces and get my reimbursement. =]
f'n scammers. i wish i could break their hands for doing shiat like this.

madico sucks.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I just got my 07 Tl-S tinted 35% at a local shop that has tinted 3 other cars of mine. I didnt even think to mention making sure the rear small windows were fully tinted because they are a very good shop and do a top notch job everytime. Well guess what? LOL They left the strip un-tinted just like yours. The good news is I dont think it will be a problem having them re-do the small windows. Another good thing is since I only went with 35% the un-tinted area isnt nearly as noticeable. Im such an idiot for not mentioning that. Oh well, otherwise it looks great.

Quick Reply: Bad tint job?