3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back-up Lights Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick question, now what exactly do I need to order for the license plate LEDs?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hey Kennedy...I'm curious now. Let's see some pics!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Paul...
I need to update my old LED thread.

Got your PM.

I just ordered these badboys:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-WHI...spagenameZWDVW

They use the same kind of LEDS I reccomended last year. The previous version used 5. This one uses 18!

Finally, an LED option I believe will outshine an incadescent bulb.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Kennedy.
Do you know light output difference between this leds?
Or 27 leds not gona fit back up housing?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 AM
07 NBP TL-S

i ordered the first one and its great

u can find my pic in the thread below
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
The WDP Noob

New! White 18 Led Parking/back-up Light Bulb 7443 7440

anyone check these out.....if anyone just start doing mods...try these new LEDs out and post some pics...they are new from v-leds
NEW! WHITE 18 LED PARKING/BACK-UP LIGHT BULB 7443 7440
http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/...81156/size/224
Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by A-TLvic882

Hi Kennedy.
Do you know light output difference between this leds?
Or 27 leds not gona fit back up housing?

Thanks

Guys,
I would stick with the 18 led from V-leds. The 18 led is a tight fit in the housing... I'm not sure the 27 led would fit in there.

I have them now, great stuff. I haven't taken any pictures because mmade posted video. I'm being lazy I guess.

I certainly think trying to install a xenon bulb back there is... ludicrous. The reflector isn't designed for it, it'll blind anyone behind you, it'll require a hackjob install, ballasts and igniters in the trunk lid... it's more than overkill.

You can't see behind you because the design of the rear end, and most of you have 20% tint. Part of the problem is lack of illumination, the otehr part is raw design. The rear view camera is a great investment.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Believe me... there was no jack job done to my trunk lid... I could bring it back to stock in less than 10 minutes with no signs of a conversion ever being done... I used slim ballasts... which are approximately half the size of an iPhone.... HID bulbs are smaller than the factory bulbs... etc....

Similar to you Kennedy... I get my stuff done with care and with foresight... of course I'm a little more of an extremist... Well I am from NYC...

of course like Kennedy mentioned... the housing isn't designed for HIDs... so you run the risk of Burning up the len with extended use... I don't use them for longer than a minute at a time...
Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
x2 on that!
The 18 leds by vleds is more than enough. I doubt the 27 led light will fit. Just get bright led lights for the liscense plate and the 18 led's for the backup and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Guys,
I would stick with the 18 led from V-leds. The 18 led is a tight fit in the housing... I'm not sure the 27 led would fit in there.

I have them now, great stuff. I haven't taken any pictures because mmade posted video. I'm being lazy I guess.

I certainly think trying to install a xenon bulb back there is... ludicrous. The reflector isn't designed for it, it'll blind anyone behind you, it'll require a hackjob install, ballasts and igniters in the trunk lid... it's more than overkill.

You can't see behind you because the design of the rear end, and most of you have 20% tint. Part of the problem is lack of illumination, the otehr part is raw design. The rear view camera is a great investment.
x2 on that!
The 18 leds by vleds is more than enough. I doubt the 27 led light will fit. Just get bright led lights for the license plate and the 18 led's for the backup and call it a day.

Look for yourself........

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ordered some leds from v-leds on the 11th of february and they still haven't arrived wtf.....and its the 15th of february, what the hell is taking so long!!! I wanna put my LEDS on!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ayabei
ordered some leds from v-leds on the 11th of february and they still haven't arrived wtf.....and its the 15th of february, what the hell is taking so long!!! I wanna put my LEDS on!!!
lol, I'm ordering from him as we speak. he's good (all my cl's led came from there)
just be patient(i know,it's easier said than done).
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Racer

does anyone know if 194-a bulbs will fit in any of our applications (i.e. license plate, or domes)?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Instructor

194's should fit vanity, side door, and license plate lights. Does anyone know how to remove the sun visor lights, tried doing it yesterday but scared it might break any replies would be nice.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Instructor

I sent V-LEDS a message asking about the brightness and size of the 27 LED vs. the 18 LED and here is their response.

"The 27 is shorter than the 18 but it is not as bright, we will have an even brighter 36 M-SMT bulb that will replace the standard 18 SMT bulb sometime in March."

Holy sweet mother of brightness!!! 36 LED backup lights....guess I'm waiting until march to order my backup lights.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianC636
I sent V-LEDS a message asking about the brightness and size of the 27 LED vs. the 18 LED and here is their response.

"The 27 is shorter than the 18 but it is not as bright, we will have an even brighter 36 M-SMT bulb that will replace the standard 18 SMT bulb sometime in March."

Holy sweet mother of brightness!!! 36 LED backup lights....guess I'm waiting until march to order my backup lights.
Like I stated earlier... The 18 leds barely fit. I highly doubt the 36 led version is gonna fit in the hole.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Racer

thanks. i know that the 194's fit but i wasnt sure if there is a significant enough difference in the 194 and the 194 "A" that they wont fit.

194's should fit vanity, side door, and license plate lights. Does anyone know how to remove the sun visor lights, tried doing it yesterday but scared it might break any replies would be nice.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 18 leds for back up, would it burn the housing inside since its a very tight fit.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Instructor

got my leds installed today, yay me!!! 18 leds on reverse, 4leds on vanity, and 6leds on license plate. Kind of disappointed on the license plate leds thought it would be brighter , but everything else looks perfect.

this sucks i need a camera, so i can take pics. Cellphone quality pics isn't good enough. Anybody know a good camera brand that ranges in 8-9 mega pixels?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:27 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are costing me MONEY!!! I want LEDs now, too! The License Plate & Reverse ones look GREAT!
So........let me make sure I got this right.........
18 LED for the Reverse & 6 LED for the License Plate?
Great pics & videos!!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My led adventure has begun. I got all the interior,reverse,lic plate and blinker.

anyone running these?or am I the guinea pig? I thought these would be best for domes/mirror or even lic plate due to the angle
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...209971927&rd=1
Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BK11
Kennedy I need your help because I'm not sure what I've done wrong. I recently installed the 18 LED 7443 7440 (right & left turn signals).

When I tested the right & left turn signals, the new 18 LED 7443 7440 blinks rapidly as opposed to the normal blinker frequency.

What do you attribute this to?
I think you may need a load resistor b/c the LED's are lower wattage. They sell them on the V-LED website too. about ten bucks for a pair ( I think ). You'll have to splice the resistors into the circuit.

Originally Posted by amer
The 18 leds for back up, would it burn the housing inside since its a very tight fit.
I think LED's run at a lower temperature than regular bulbs, so I don't think it's a problem.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by VegasRPh
You guys are costing me MONEY!!! I want LEDs now, too! The License Plate & Reverse ones look GREAT!
So........let me make sure I got this right.........
18 LED for the Reverse & 6 LED for the License Plate?
Great pics & videos!!
You are correct on the light setup for your car. I have the 6 led lights in the interior dome lights and the license plate lights. The 18's are the way to go for the reverse. LED's are a cool light so there are no worries about burning it. How long do you plan on driving in reverse anyway?????
Old 02-19-2008, 05:09 PM
200,000 mile club

got my leds installed today, yay me!!! 18 leds on reverse, 4leds on vanity, and 6leds on license plate. Kind of disappointed on the license plate leds thought it would be brighter , but everything else looks perfect.

this sucks i need a camera, so i can take pics. Cellphone quality pics isn't good enough. Anybody know a good camera brand that ranges in 8-9 mega pixels?
The pictures I have above in this thread are exactly the same as what you have so I think there is no need to take pictures of the same lights. Canon elph is the only way to go if you want a great camera. There worth the money.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

has anybody done this to their 2G... i can't seem to find anything using search... maybe i just skimmed over it??
Old 02-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Originally Posted by bforbrian
A random question, how do you guys take pics of your reverse lights if you're outside the car taking the picture? What I did was put the E brake on, put it in reverse and RUN out and quickly take a snap. lol just curious.

that is really funny, i never thought about that. Imagine people with Manual
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ballerjai
that is really funny, i never thought about that. Imagine people with Manual
Im not sure about Manual, but with AT, I just don't start the engine... it'd be a waste of gas and a risk of the car hitting something.

just turn the key to "ON" or II, and step on the brake. Then put the shifter back to reverse and the car sits as though it is in reverse; the lights come on, but the car doesn't move =).
Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

...anybody seen this done to a 2nd gen??
Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Advanced

Hey whats up everybody. Im sure many of you have seen the flank style LED's that many LED shops have now days, these applications would work best in certain parts of the car (ex. vanity, license, trunk, and whatever 90 degree housing, etc). I just wanted to give some feedback to help others in their decision when they are buying LED's. For starters also i will not post any pictures of the brightness of the bulbs because...
1. Im no good at using digital cameras, dont know how to use all those settings to catch proper lighting and etc.
2. Because i cant do #1, therefore you wont be able to see how bright LED's compare with each other. Make sense? i hope so.

Anyway, heres a picture of some bulbs i had lying around along with the "Flank" style bulb i ordered from VLEDs.

-THe first bulb on the left is the 2 watt flank bulb, has 4 smt (the brightest of all of them).
-The next bulb is another flank but 6 smt not 2 watt power though (pretty bright)
-The blue one is actually from Japan called "Super Terra 1 watt", These were an outrageous cost of $100 for 2 of them, i know i know thats soo ridiculous but these were out before they had smt technology. Besides i was rockin them on my 07 R1 which deserved the best. This bulb is pretty bright, brighter than the VLED single HID HIGH output bulb (5th bulb from the left) BUT definately not worth $100.
-Next to the Super Terra is another bulb from VLED which has smt on each side as you can see. These i found arent the brightest but work quite well in the dome and rear dome lights as the housing is chrome and it shoots all ways. make sense? hope so.
-Next is the single HIGH output LED from VLED as well. This bulb is pretty bright as well but obviously the application only shoots kinda straight forward. I used these in my IS250 parking lights in the headlights, which worked nice. Nice n bright light but straight forward application.
- the 2nd to the last is an old old version before they had surface mount technology (either that i wasnt aware of it). This one isnt really worth mentioning, dont bother.
-And Lastly we have the infamous stock bulb. although gives all degree of light, it gets really hot plus its amber, who wants amber? so thats why were ditching them.

Ive already changed my interior to LED's back then but with all these new LED's I wanted to try some new ones since technology keeps getting better. I wanna let you guys know that the output on the first flank bulb is extremely bright (the 2 watt one). I used them in my license plate housing as it faces perfectly down to the plates. The housing for the license plate needed a bit sanding from the dremel NOT to make the LED fit but to make the BEST USE of the light and the direction it faces. Heres the pics to explain what i mean......

This pic show the flank LED in the housing of the license plate socket.You can see that its partially covered up by that plastic piece, which does nothing.

This picture show both the housings, one after i sanded and the other being original.

This picture is obvisouly both sanded down. This shoots the light PERFECTLY at the license
I wanted to show you exactly what i mean that it faces perfectly down to the license but in this picture you just cant see the led bulb insided. (sorry im not a professional when it comes to cameras, im rather an idiot)

SO AGAIN, The 2 watt flank is super bright, by far the brightest i have seen. This application is purrrrrfect in the license plate, vanity, and trunk, as far as TL's. And Yes i do know about the cathode mod in the license plate but believe me you wont be dissapointed. I think there are also 4 watt SMT LED's available but they run too hot to be used in applications that are constantly on. Another good thing about these flank bulb is made on a circuit board(?)so the end of the LED that goes into any housing is rather thick so it needs a little push to put into the housing but very very very snug, wont get loose and wobbly like some of the other non circuit board type. Hope that made sense.
I know this post is really really long but if you find this thread than it will benefit you (i hope) I was going to post this as a new thread but those that really research can find it. Wanted to share some good feedback as a Acurazine member since many others contribute their time to help others on here. Take care.

Just wanna show off my R1 with digital HID's.
Hows these for stock projectors, R1 by the way.

Ohk ohk thats it, Laterz
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Racer

VERY NICE info! the 2 watt flank almost appears a touch too bright for the license plate (maybe its the pic). i wonder how this works for reverse light applications? the flank LED's are also a tad cheaper (a plus). could you go with the 6 LED flank bulb and NOT modify the housing and possibly have the same light emitted?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Advanced

the 6 led flank is the same size as the 4 led 2 watt one (i think). I forgot to measure both of them but im pretty sure it was the same size. There would just be 6 leds on the same size board as the 4 led one but than only 2 of the 6 leds would be visible without sanding the housing down. know what i mean?the other 4 leds would be blocked.
If you look in the pic with the 4 led 2 watt, you can see without sanding down the housing that it would block 2 of the leds of the 4. kinda confusing, hope you get it.
As i mentioned in my reply earlier, these flanks ONLY work in 90 degree type housing (as you can see how the LED is designed. The flank WILL NOT work efficiently in reverse housing. iI you want reverse than get these ...
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

The reevrse light housing is chrome and you want light to shoot all around. The bulb in the link is a 4 watt high power LED but should not be used in application that are constantly ON. It gets WAY too hot and like in its description will fail quickly. I can imagine this LED would be extremely bright. I probably should have tried this one for the reverse lights but i used these, they are alright. I think they are satisfactory.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
nuttin is better on license plate then the COLD CATHODES!!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Racer

to sum up what you said, the pictured bulb is for the license plate and the link bulb is for reverse lights????

Originally Posted by daniel123588
the 6 led flank is the same size as the 4 led 2 watt one (i think). I forgot to measure both of them but im pretty sure it was the same size. There would just be 6 leds on the same size board as the 4 led one but than only 2 of the 6 leds would be visible without sanding the housing down. know what i mean?the other 4 leds would be blocked.
If you look in the pic with the 4 led 2 watt, you can see without sanding down the housing that it would block 2 of the leds of the 4. kinda confusing, hope you get it.
As i mentioned in my reply earlier, these flanks ONLY work in 90 degree type housing (as you can see how the LED is designed. The flank WILL NOT work efficiently in reverse housing. iI you want reverse than get these ...
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

The reevrse light housing is chrome and you want light to shoot all around. The bulb in the link is a 4 watt high power LED but should not be used in application that are constantly ON. It gets WAY too hot and like in its description will fail quickly. I can imagine this LED would be extremely bright. I probably should have tried this one for the reverse lights but i used these, they are alright. I think they are satisfactory.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Advanced

The link is the one i BELIEVE would be best in the reverse light housing. The one i have pictured is the one I USED in my reverse housing. The one i used in the license plate is the flank.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Hey ABP, you might be really suprised on the LED i used inthe license plate housing. I have read many threads regarding the cold cathode for the license plate but in my opinion its a bit of work for something rather minor. The output with the flank in this application is super super bright and I wouldnt be suprised if its just as bright as the cold cathode. I know the cold cathode give better light in terms of the degree of light spread but this LED is a way easier and more reliable solution (just my opinion). Of course its impossible to tell with cameras and i dont know of any TL on oahu with the CCL light mode so guess we wont know for awhile. Laterz
Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Racer

i apologize for my needs but do you happen to have a pic of your reverse lights? i think im going to heed your advice and purchase the 8M-SMT 4W revers bulbs. thank you again for you infinite wisdom and knowledge on this subject!

Originally Posted by daniel123588
The link is the one i BELIEVE would be best in the reverse light housing. The one i have pictured is the one I USED in my reverse housing. The one i used in the license plate is the flank.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

what size are the back up lights?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Advanced

Jimithang, even if i did post a pic you wouldnt really be able to tell because again i dont know anything about camera setting and stuff, even with knowing proper camera settings, its still very hard to tell. Its something you have to see in person. Ah jeez alright here you go...

Just FYI, in these pics, the flank bulb is not in the license plate lights. I changed those after the reverse lights.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Jimithang, even if i did post a pic you wouldnt really be able to tell because again i dont know anything about camera setting and stuff, even with knowing proper camera settings, its still very hard to tell. Its something you have to see in person. Ah jeez alright anyway here you go...
Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
What are "the bright LED lights for the license"? What number? need more info.

Originally Posted by mmade22
x2 on that!
Just get bright led lights for the liscense plate and the 18 led's for the backup and call it a day.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 07-27-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Drifting

anyone know what the bright LED light part number is for the License plate? Theres so many at Vleds.com
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Drifting

They dont make the 921 18 LED anymore. Its eitehr 14 or 19 But I think either would work fine.

top 3 is the only 921's
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/f...ingcolor/White

Quick Reply: Back-up Lights Mod.