Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to the shop.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the shop.....

Well, Its back to the shop again, this time with four problems, three are new and one they did not get fixed the last time.

1) Drivers side wind noise, Acura said its on all the TL drivers door so that makes it ok, but it is not on the passenger side so I will complain again.

2) Engine light came on under acceleration yesterday, not even hard accel. about 4000rpm trying to get over to exit. I thought it might go off when I shut it off but no luck. Everything seems to be running fine just has the light on.

3) Shift gate sticking on the Auto. It is hard to get it out of Park.

4) Rattle (imagine that) coming from drivers side sunvisor (I know, easy fix but its going in anyway) and another rattle from in between the sunvisors somewhere. I can't seem to lacate that one.

The vibraton seems to have faded, not doing it enough to worry about.

Wish me luck!!!

Getting old, my first new car and in the shop four times in the first four months, does not seem right!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What is your VIN range (last 5 of the VIN, just give us ##xxx), and do you have an '04 or '05? I ask because the engine light under hard acceleration was first reported here a year ago, and there's a known fix for that. I haven't heard any reports of the shiftgate sticking--perhaps someone else will want to comment?

Keep us posted...
Old 11-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Racer

Thanks for your help.

Vin is ***22349, it is an 04 that I bought with 8k miles on it in July. The light first came on a couple of weks ago and only under high RPM hard acceleration but went off immediately, it did that a couple of times but had not done it since. Yesterday I was accelerating hard but by no means would I say I was at high RPM (around 4k, maybe 4500rpm at the most). I am sure it is a quick fix but as much as I love turning wrenches, I did not buy a 30k car to work on it. The warranty will cover this and I even bought the extended warranty (7yr 100k) but I had really hoped I would not have it at the shop this much actually hoped it would be for routine maintanance only. I guess I am fortunate because I do not have any major problems, but the little ones are getting annoying.

I am hoping to get some ideas as to what it could be though, that way I have some info when I take it to the dealer.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:28 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wind noise?

Acura said its on all the TL drivers door so that makes it ok,
I've never had any wind noise around my drivers door and we've had some pretty windy days in this area that would have revealed it. I don't recall reading any complaints about wind noise around the drivers door on this board before yours.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:11 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by kosh2258
I've never had any wind noise around my drivers door and we've had some pretty windy days in this area that would have revealed it. I don't recall reading any complaints about wind noise around the drivers door on this board before yours.
There have been complaints about that on here before .. here's just one of the threads
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ide+wind+noise
Old 11-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Racer

I have seen complaints on here several times but that does not make it ok, to me the drivers side door should make no more noise than the passenger side.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Advanced

"1) Drivers side wind noise, Acura said its on all the TL drivers door so that makes it ok, but it is not on the passenger side so I will complain again."

Can you get that from them in writing?

If it's in writing it might make some interesting reading for anyone looking to spend over 30K on a car.

If it's not in writing they'd probably deny it.

I'd definitely ask for it in writing (or fix the damn thing).
Old 11-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Racer

It is in writing from the first trip for the problem. I called yesterday to schedule my appointment. The service writer said my light was probably an engine misfire and that would set a code, he said it is an easy fix and a softwasre upgrade would keep it from happening again...we will see. The wind noise does not seem to impress them and he siad there was probably nothing they could do, he said that there is so much more stuff inside the door and in that area than the passenger side an that could cause the aditional noise, of course I had to raise the BS flag on that one, the stuff inside has no bearing on wind noise!!! He said they would look into it. The rattles should be no problem as well and while I had him on the phone I brought up the vibration still happening, I told him it was not near as bad as before they rotated and rebalanced the tires but it was still happening sometimes. He actually stated that was an issue with the TL (no sh!t) and said Acura was still looking into it. I told him I wanted them to look it over again and at least document I am still having a problem just in case it is still there after I get new tires.

Anyway my Appointment is not until Wednesday of next week, so we will just drive it with the check engine light on and hope it is nothing important.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Racer

Well, I just dropped it off. The dealer said they should have it done later today so we will see what happens.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Pro

Keep us informed. I hope everything gets fixed!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:17 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

22349 - That means it was probably made in mid-late January or early February, right?

I have 21xxx and I don't have any problems with wind noise, but those rattles you describe have sent me into the shop more than once. I am probably known as the pickiest Bay Area TL owner, having been to a ton of dealerships over and over again!
Old 11-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Acuraized User

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
Well, I just dropped it off. The dealer said they should have it done later today so we will see what happens.
What dealer are you using ?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Racer

Must Read!!!!

My Dealer is Acura carland... and they get to keep the car for one more day.

I called this after and my service advisor was at lunch, so another guy helped me, he said they were cleaning up the car and it should be done soon. Well, that turned out to be wrong. I found out when I got there that they wanted the lead tech adn service manager to drive the car after they cleaned it up. but I'll get to that later. My service writer said they were going to drive it and so asked about the rest of the stuff. He showed me the techs invoice and writen on the top it said " ZTell the owner to get used to it or trade it in." Well, that is not the exact quote but the like it or trade it is what he wrote. Needless to say I got a tad worked up!!! I wanted the tech the manager and the owner..and I wanted them right there and now!!! By the time all the apoligizing was done the service manager found a way to replace my EL-42 with some new tires, that is one reason for another day at the shop. I never got to speak to the owner but it seams as if the manager had a prety good grasp on how to handle it. So here is the solutions to the problems as they stand now.
1) After I went for a drive with the managers and I did not even hear the wind noise they said they would replace the seal on the door and hoped that would help with the problem, remember this is after they heard no problem and we had the problem with the tech.
2) Reset the computer and advised me to keep it off the rev limiter.... then asked what octane gas I run...oops!!! I am cheap sorry guys aparently they may have been a contributing factor to the Engine misfire code. My Bad, I will put the good stuff in from now on I promise.
3)The shift gate sticking... well aparently my wife (its her car) apilled some coffee on the console. She said she cleaned it up. I found this out after the service writer told me the cause and I asked her if she had spilled anything. Her Bad!!!
4)The service dept ordered a new sun visor and stated they would attempt to find the second rattle when they had it apart to replace the visor when it came in.

The vibration...yep the good one alot of us have... 50-70mph and intemittent. Well thats the one the tech said to trade on if I did not like it. It seams as if the guys at Acura believe it is a tire issue. Their opinion is that the suspension is so tempermental that sometimes the crappy tires are causing a vibration into the car, not bad enough to feel but bad enough for the engine to start a harmonic vibration. The engine mounts are liquid filled with computer air adjustment. The mount gets stiffer at higher speed and if everything falls into place you get a vibration, if it does not no vibration, thats why it can be intermittent. I had never heard of this but remember thats what I was told. Anyway, there is no confirmation from Acura on that justa bunch of very knowledgable Techs trying to figure out the problem. But as I stated earlier, my baby is getting new shoes. I hope that will fix the problem. As I have stated in other posts, I have always been pleased with my dealership, just not always happy with the answers they have given me. They seem to be genuinely interested in making a happy (repeat) customer when it is time to get a new car... I will post more when I get thte car back.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Racer

Finally got a call from the dealer this afternoon and it is done. Brand new tires, new seal on the drivers door, reset computer, and a new sun visor, everything tested out ok according to the service manager. I wont get the car back until Saturday so hopefully it is good to go. I will be sure to run it good to test it out. Apparently mine ended up already having the softeware upgrade in the computer so that was not done, just a thorough check and everything seem fine.

I will post with the results. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Please keep us updated. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Racer

The results are in!!!

Well, kind of..

I picked the TL up this morning and took it for a test drive before I signed the paperwork. The tires were flat spotted BIG TIME!!! Yep brand new EL-42's (production 2004). I dont know if I ever got them fully warmed up (the wife wanted her car back) but the vibration never went away. I am going to drive it a few days and see how things work out but for now...no solution. I asked if they had TL aspec cars with the same problems and they said they had not had any. Does anyone know if there is any issues with the A-specs? Anyway, sorry not any real info yet. I am going to call back to the manager on Monday or Tuesday and ask about the flat spotting but until I know more about the intermittent Vibration there is not a lot to do.
All the other problems seem to bi fine so I guess they got them fixed.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Banned

Switching to another topic, I just bought the comptech supercharger brand new and I need to get rid of it. a friend of mine told me he could fabricate me a custom exhaust for a turbo. anyways I'm tryin to sell it for $3800 whoever buys it would have to pay for the shipping. email me if you're interested: Pimping_Rides@Hotmail.com
Old 11-20-2004, 04:48 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

No Answer

It Seems The Only Way To Get Rid Of The Vibration Is To Get Rid Of The Car Unfortunately.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thegabrielles
Well, kind of..

I picked the TL up this morning and took it for a test drive before I signed the paperwork. The tires were flat spotted BIG TIME!!! Yep brand new EL-42's (production 2004). I dont know if I ever got them fully warmed up (the wife wanted her car back) but the vibration never went away. I am going to drive it a few days and see how things work out but for now...no solution. I asked if they had TL aspec cars with the same problems and they said they had not had any. Does anyone know if there is any issues with the A-specs? Anyway, sorry not any real info yet. I am going to call back to the manager on Monday or Tuesday and ask about the flat spotting but until I know more about the intermittent Vibration there is not a lot to do.
All the other problems seem to bi fine so I guess they got them fixed.
thegabrielles-
If you haven't done so already, you NEED to DEMAND to speak to the DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) for your Dealership. This is the ONLY anything is going to get approved to be resolved. They have the power... :killer:
Old 11-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Racer

Well, so far the dealership has done the normanl stuff plus they have now replaced the tires, the service manager is still trying to work out the problem so until he says he can not do anything else, I am going to continue working with him.

By the way, we took the car for a good ride yesterday afternoon, got them warmed up enough for the flat spot to fade away but there seems to be a slight constant vibration still, almost feels like the right front out of balance. But I did not feel the vibration that I have been having. But it was intermittent before so I am still going to give it time.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Airline jet aircraft tech

Whch dealership in ATL did you bring it to? My TL has a mild problem like yours but I now have aftermarket wheels and Pirelli's. I may go to your dealer once there is a real fix for this.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Racer

Acura Carland in Gwinett, its on Satellite Blvd by the mall.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Racer

Well, after driving the car a few times I now have know the new tires did not help, The flat spotting is worse and the vibration seems to be similar or even worse at times. Maybe I am trying to feel it to much now but it seems to vibrate more often than before. I still have not logged to many miles on it since the fix but it is still there. I have not called Acura back this week as I decided to evaluate the new tires completely before I called. I will call on Monday after Thab ksgiving and see what the next step would be. I have seen a few people state that new tires and wheels seemed to help the problem, can anyone elaborate, or cars with the a-spec suspension or any other suspension mods...Did that help with the vibration?? Sure would love some answers to this. I am planning on a couple of large trips next year and will be stacking a LOT of miles on the TL. I would love to get the skooth ride I expectecd when I bought it!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GUMP
It Seems The Only Way To Get Rid Of The Vibration Is To Get Rid Of The Car Unfortunately.

Yep that is what I did. Luckily didnt cost me an arm and a leg to get out of the lease. I just wish Acura would have stepped up to the plate and cancelled my lease.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Racer

Acura Carland has replaced my old el-42 with new ones then replaced the new EL-42 with Michelans and rims. The problem is tons better, I still feel a very slight vibration in the car but have not driven it enough at this point to make a definitive answer. It took 5 total trips to the shop but they kept trying, and thats without having to go above the service manager. Thanks to him!!! The tire noise is all b ut gone compared to the EL-42's so that alone is a nice change. By the way while they had it the last time they washed and hand-waxed it, cleaned the interior and the trunk, and serviced the engine. All for my troubles. I think that is a dealership doing everything they are capable of to make a customer happy. That at least helped repay me for my time taking the car to the dealership. Each time they gave me a TL or TSX loaner.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

sounds like you have a great dealer. i wish more were like them.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
USED CAR??? the sensor on or landcrusier has stayed on for bout 3 yrs now(800$$ 2 fix) so we didnt fix it lol we just go every month for checkup.... it was lik a sensor that keeps screwing up or smthing.....

96 toyo landcrusier
Old 12-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GUMP
sounds like you have a great dealer. i wish more were like them.
Given some of the stories on here I definitely have a great dealer, If and when I ever get another new Acura they will get my business. Wonder what the 06 TL will be like and this time with the NAV!!!

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
USED CAR??? the sensor on or landcrusier has stayed on for bout 3 yrs now(800$$ 2 fix) so we didnt fix it lol we just go every month for checkup.... it was lik a sensor that keeps screwing up or smthing......
I have Always bought used cars until now, NONE EVER had any poroblems. I guess I spent more time checking them out and driving them and just assumed to much out of a new car.