Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

avoided a serious accident thanks to my TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
avoided a serious accident thanks to my TL

I was approaching an intersection and the light turned yellow but i had plenty of time to make it through. Some asshole in his m class thinks he can try and beat me as makes his left turn. I slammed on the brakes and was about a foot away from his car. The car performed immaculately and i owe not having a raised insurance premium all to my TL thanks to its awesome braking system
Old 06-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Royal Flush

Originally Posted by massr1
I was approaching an intersection and the light turned yellow but i had plenty of time to make it through. Some asshole in his m class thinks he can try and beat me as makes his left turn. I slammed on the brakes and was about a foot away from his car. The car performed immaculately and i owe not having a raised insurance premium all to my TL thanks to its awesome braking system

As much as the nagging problems of rattles and CELs really annoy the shit out of me...one the big reasons I am hesitant to trade this car in is due to the unbelievable safety features of the TL. Airbags all over the place, Brembo brakes, excellent handling and the fact that its a big car for its class. With the number of soccer moms and SUVs and asshole drivers talking on cellphones...I can't think of another car I'd rather be in an accident in (HUMVEE maybe ). Hopefully I will never be in one...but if you have to get hit....let it be in a TL.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^The idea is not to be safe in an accident, its to avoid it all together. Dont benz' roll up there windows and pressurize the break system in anticipation of a crash?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Republican TL
As much as the nagging problems of rattles and CELs really annoy the shit out of me...one the big reasons I am hesitant to trade this car in is due to the unbelievable safety features of the TL. Airbags all over the place, Brembo brakes, excellent handling and the fact that its a big car for its class. With the number of soccer moms and SUVs and asshole drivers talking on cellphones...I can't think of another car I'd rather be in an accident in (HUMVEE maybe ). Hopefully I will never be in one...but if you have to get hit....let it be in a TL.

Good thinking. From my own recent experience, I can say that I am very comfortable driving Acuras - the engineers have done some excellent work in designing the safety features for the line of cars. I have never felt so safe in the car.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Overlord - Team Abyss

I don't know exact details here, but it sounds like you were trying to beat the yellow - Yellow means stop if you have time to do so... not go through if you can still beat the red. That is why the guy probally went. Next time try stopping (you obviously had time if you still could have made the light) and you won't have this issue. You can chalk up +1 point for the M3 in this one from me (assuming he was in the intersection and tryng to clear it - if wasn't at the interersection and gunning it to get through than all bets are off and I'm giving my points to darwinism).
Old 06-19-2005, 01:11 PM
6MT & LSD

^Actually, I disagree with you a bit. While one should stop when approaching a yellow, it's sometimes necessary to run through it. The M class in the turning lane made the wrong decision in this case, imo. Why? The M class driver failed to judge the speed of the original poster's car and assumed he will stop.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Dang.

Originally Posted by TheNip73
I don't know exact details here, but it sounds like you were trying to beat the yellow - Yellow means stop if you have time to do so... not go through if you can still beat the red. That is why the guy probally went. Next time try stopping (you obviously had time if you still could have made the light) and you won't have this issue. You can chalk up +1 point for the M3 in this one from me (assuming he was in the intersection and tryng to clear it - if wasn't at the interersection and gunning it to get through than all bets are off and I'm giving my points to darwinism).

The first thing that was said was that there was plenty of time to get through the light. Do you lock up your brakes everytime a light turns yellow regardless of the distance you are from the light? The light changes from green to yellow without any warning - which is the purpose of the yellow light - to warn people that the light will soon be red, so that drivers should prepare to stop. If you're too close to the light when it first changes yellow and cannot stop your vehicle in a safe manner before the stop line on the road, then that's not a safe situation. Not only that, but you can surprise drivers behind you and possibly get hit from behind.

The point of this thread was to praise the brakes on the TL, not to judge a situation in which none of us were involved in or know about.

And an M class is a Mercedes SUV, not an M3.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by UCONNTL
The first thing that was said was that there was plenty of time to get through the light. Do you lock up your brakes everytime a light turns yellow regardless of the distance you are from the light? The light changes from green to yellow without any warning - which is the purpose of the yellow light - to warn people that the light will soon be red, so that drivers should prepare to stop. If you're too close to the light when it first changes yellow and cannot stop your vehicle in a safe manner before the stop line on the road, then that's not a safe situation. Not only that, but you can surprise drivers behind you and possibly get hit from behind.

The point of this thread was to praise the brakes on the TL, not to judge a situation in which none of us were involved in or know about.

And an M class is a Mercedes SUV, not an M3.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Pro

technically if an accident actually had occured, the mercedes would have been at fault as any oncoming traffic has the right of way. happened one morning with my mom in our corolla except the light was green. it was pretty scary because my mom slammed on the brakes and there was a mixture of snow/ice on the ground so we just slid right into the other car
Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol all new cars have good brakes... I would never say I owe my life to a car... If you don't know how to drive then it does not matter what you are driving...
Old 06-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
u guys suck. a new cavalier's brakes SUCK in comparison. he is saying that the car performed well and he is glad bc he would have hit someone who was not driving well. why do people always have to ruin the praising threads ...
Old 06-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
lol all new cars have good brakes... I would never say I owe my life to a car... If you don't know how to drive then it does not matter what you are driving...
Uh-huh

And I suppose you were taught by Michael Schumacher.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^If you are in an H1 you are pretty much set. In addition, if it is the other persons fault, IE a drunk hits you, and your cars safety systems manage to keep you from being crushed, you can very well ow it your life. For Example, an F150 hits you, its gonna hurt, prolly a nice hospital visit, same umpact, but in a Rio, you may as well skip that hospital visit. The results for VSA are amazing, you are multiple times(I think, could be 80%, forget what I read) less likely to get in a single car accident while in a vehicle equipped with it. No matter how good a drive you are, if you dont have VSA, some situations would be unavoidable, espcially on ice.