Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Window glass lowering !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Window glass lowering !!!

I have noticed this and don't know of a way to fix it. When its hot outside and the car is standing outside, the window glass lower automatically but couple of inch. I think the internal temp makes them go down. Is there a way to disable that since they don't go up automatically... I think its an electronics questions so the section...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:11 PM
05 TL

What? Really? Didn't know that...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Weather Watcher

Interesting, never heard or seen that - what temp hot r we talin here?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:36 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not a feature of the TL.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you probably are hitting the remote in ur pocket or keep pressing the unlock button and holding it down while u walk away from the car like i do because im OCD.....definatly not a feature
Old 08-16-2006, 05:41 AM
10th Gear

I have seen it happen twice this summer. not sure of the temp at which it happens but i don't think you can control window glass by remote. also all 4 windows are lowered by exactly the same distance. it may be a kind of easter egg which u find in WIN
Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced

Uhhh, you are confused. As NFL said, you're probably hitting the unlock button twice and holding it down for a second. You can do that and roll the windows down. It's in the manual.

Either that, or you have faulty wiring. But it is not a feature on our car.

-Brian
Old 08-16-2006, 07:16 AM
10th Gear

Thanks guys. will post if it happens again without remote. maybe it was my fault but will definitely keep you posted once it happens again :-)
Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Racer

Believe me...that's not a feature. I've left my car out in the direct sun on a 118 degree day and the windows don't go down. As a matter of fact, I would be all over Acura if they did. Good way to get your car broken into.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Booya

Smile This just happened to my new TL today

I absolutely agree with Zobie. I had my car parked outside and then when I came back 1/2 hr later, all 4 windows were lowered by approx. 2-3 inches, all 4 precisely by the same length . Also my TL is brand new; 2006 auto with Navi purchased exactly a week ago. So, I doubt that this is due to any faulty wiring. Also, I had the keyfob in the front pocket of my shirt (really loose) and for sure I know that it was not depressed accidently, so we can also rule out this particular scenario.

This has to be some kind of easter egg, that no one has discovered as yet. Now, I am excited about prospect of discovering an as yet undiscovered feature/easter-egg.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

ummm.... if this were really a feature, it would be the most unsafe thing in the world.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:13 PM
My Daily Driver

^
Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Booya

Originally Posted by zeezz
ummm.... if this were really a feature, it would be the most unsafe thing in the world.
Agree. Luckily, I walked back to my car right before a heavy downpour, or else I would have been devastated if rain water had seeped inside through the partially rolled down windows. This definitely needs to be investigated and a root cause analysis needs to be done. Think about it this way, this is a security hazard as it makes it so much more easier for auto theft.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Booya

Question Any clues ... ?

The last action/command executed on the car was setting the climate control to auto with the temperature set to 78 degrees. I am guessing if this has anything to do with the windows being lowered automatically. I know that the system remembers the last setting with the climate control. I am wondering, when the car was parked and locked, if the interior temperature exceeded 78 degrees and the car automatically rolled the windows down so that some heat may escape !?

Another cause may be some rogue radio frequency emanating from a source nearby that may cause the TL to think it was coming from the keyfob.

Need to figure this out ASAP.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
There is an roll up / down feature on the TL for all windows + sunroof. If you turn the key in the drivers door lock twice in one direction and hold it there, it will roll the all the windows up or down depending on the direction. If you do it in the lock direction it will roll them all up, roll them down for the unlock direction.

Maybe something funky is happening with this function on your car when it gets hot?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:49 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

but he said exact same amount. Our remote lowers front windows first.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Booya

Originally Posted by bTwix
There is an roll up / down feature on the TL for all windows + sunroof. If you turn the key in the drivers door lock twice in one direction and hold it there, it will roll the all the windows up or down depending on the direction. If you do it in the lock direction it will roll them all up, roll them down for the unlock direction.

Maybe something funky is happening with this function on your car when it gets hot?
I guess. To be honest, this cannot be a feature as it has more negatives than positives. Now, if it is some kinda easter-egg then the engineer responsible for this should be blasted with real eggs.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Booya

Originally Posted by Actuary
but he said exact same amount. Our remote lowers front windows first.
Yup, the exact same amount also as noted by the the original poster.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Booya

Do you think we can notify Acura about this!? I am leaning towards the conclusion that this is probably a combination of environmental factors coupled with the cars electronics. Now if Acura could be notified about this, atleast they could start investigating the issue. Unless zobie and my case is an anomaly, in which case it would be wise to find the cause and fix it while under Acura warranty.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Instructor

now that i read about the things happening with others, i encountered the same thing about a week ago. just before i exited the car, i pulled on the power window switch and found that the window wasn't all the way up. i was puzzled then but didn't give a second thought until i read the responses on this thread. i am not sure how long the windows were open since i don't drive this car everyday. luckily i didn't hit any down pour when the car was parked outside. it must have been open only a few inches and they were both front windows.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Advanced

There is no feature and it is not happening randomly. IT DEFINITELY IS you hitting the button to make them go down. Walk out now, press unlock twice and hold it a second or 2. All 4 windows will drop the same level for as long as you hold it down. I've done it with the Panic button before. toss my keys in my bag and a second later tha panic is going off.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bTwix

is the up/down feature on all window+moon roof only with the key? is it possible to do that with the key fob. i know you can do the down feature.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sushi96720
is the up/down feature on all window+moon roof only with the key? is it possible to do that with the key fob. i know you can do the down feature.

Yes, you can open everything with the key fob. Just hit unlock twice and hold in on the second press. To close everything, you have to use the key, or just get inside and do it.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
The up feature is only with the key, supposedly for safety purposes, but many other cars let you do it with the remote.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Instructor

OMG, lol, jus listen to 2 the people who kno what they r talking about, like the 3 previous posts ^^^ lol. there is no feature that the TL can automatically roll down the windows itself. somehow, the buttons on the keyfob r getting pressed, or there is a problem w/ the fob itself.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Booya

Originally Posted by acuraTL44
OMG, lol, jus listen to 2 the people who kno what they r talking about, like the 3 previous posts ^^^ lol. there is no feature that the TL can automatically roll down the windows itself. somehow, the buttons on the keyfob r getting pressed, or there is a problem w/ the fob itself.
Honestly, in my case no buttons were depressed. How can you then explain that both with zobie and me all 4 windows were down by almost the same, a couple of inches ?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dipkat
Honestly, in my case no buttons were depressed. How can you then explain that both with zobie and me all 4 windows were down by almost the same, a couple of inches ?
uhh, cuz when u press un lock twice in the fob and hold it all of the windows go down the same.

where is this happening @ anyway? in the city or wat?

but i almost garantee u that if u lock the car and put the fob down right away, nothing will happen to the car.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Instructor

In my opinion, I think you should have it checked out.. I know on my TL, the key fob does not work past about 50 feet, so unless it is being done right away after you get out, then it is definately not the key fob....

ocwill1
Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

if it was keyfob, front windows will lower more than rear windows. also how about moonroof? was moonroof tilted/or open?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:31 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

if it was keyfob, front windows will lower more than rear windows. also how about moonroof? was moonroof tilted/or open?
I just tried on mine. The front and rear windows roll down exactly the same amount from the fob. I have the KPT window roll-up mod and the back windows go up a moment before the front ones on auto-up.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Booya

Moonroof was not tilted/opened, just all 4 windows by about 2 inches.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Booya

uhh, cuz when u press un lock twice in the fob and hold it all of the windows go down the same.

where is this happening @ anyway? in the city or wat?

but i almost garantee u that if u lock the car and put the fob down right away, nothing will happen to the car.
Nope, in a burb of Jersey. Will wait and see if this happens again.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Federation Squirtle Squad

Originally Posted by zobie
I have seen it happen twice this summer. not sure of the temp at which it happens but i don't think you can control window glass by remote. also all 4 windows are lowered by exactly the same distance. it may be a kind of easter egg which u find in WIN

...uh yeah dude, not only does it go down but when it was raining one time, the windows rolled up automatically because i left them down, i was like "WOW" and another time when i went to sleep and left my car outside the garage, the windows also went up again, and this time i was like "WOW WOW anti-theft feature"
Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

This is precisely what happens on my car if I hit the unlock button on the fob, think it didn't "hear" me, and so I mash the fob button again. All four windows roll down by about 2-3 inches.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Instructor

the moonroof/sunroof (watever u wanna call it) doesnt open right away. it starts to open when the windows are @ least 3-4 inches down.

perhaps the TL is picking up some sort of interfering signal, idk. thats y im curious where this is happening.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Cool so if I want to steal something inside or the car itself, all I have to do is go hunting on a hot summer day, or better yet heat the car and the car will roll down its windows for me to take what I want!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Booya

the moonroof/sunroof (watever u wanna call it) doesnt open right away. it starts to open when the windows are @ least 3-4 inches down.

perhaps the TL is picking up some sort of interfering signal, idk. thats y im curious where this is happening.
I am also thinking on the same lines.

Here's something similiar that occured about 5 yrs ago. My brother used to frequently have RF interference issues with his 2000 Mitsubishi Gallant in NYC. When parked on the streets, his Gallant used to unlock itself while parked. Nothing was ever stolen from inside the car or the car itself. And this used to happen only in NYC and not in the burbs of Jersey. When he complained to his Mitsubishi dealership, they did not agree to make any repairs or even investigate the problem. Then, when he sent the dealership a letter from his attorney, they immediately replaced the Security/Auto-lock system. He never had any issues thereafter, anywhere.

My point is that sometimes auto eectronic systems do have issues with potential rogue RF. This is more likely to happen in an area with heavy industrial equipment. Even right now, my WI-FI signal and my VOIP phone signals get really weak whenever the central A/C system in my apartment starts circulating air (thermostat set). Also my TL's HFL system picks up lot of static in my area. All this leads me to believe that this might be a RF issue, if at all.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:55 AM
holla!

It is my opinion that this is an issue with the car itself. For this to only happen to a few people, but it is the exact same scenario in all 3 cases, is it possible that there is a wiring fault in your cars that would cause this to happen? Say, there is a few pieces of exposed wire, and under extreme heat, they expand and touch, shorting the system and causing it to look like the key is in the door? Or maybe your RF recievers are bad and they alone are susecptible to RF interference. There are a lot of TLs in NYC, and I dont think they are all rolling down their windows randomly.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Booya

I agree. If this happens again, I will be convinced that the issue is an anomaly.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cali TL
It is my opinion that this is an issue with the car itself. For this to only happen to a few people, but it is the exact same scenario in all 3 cases, is it possible that there is a wiring fault in your cars that would cause this to happen? Say, there is a few pieces of exposed wire, and under extreme heat, they expand and touch, shorting the system and causing it to look like the key is in the door? Or maybe your RF recievers are bad and they alone are susecptible to RF interference. There are a lot of TLs in NYC, and I dont think they are all rolling down their windows randomly.
Its not a problem with the wiring, and i kno that for sure. It either the remote or the signal. yes, there are alot of TLs in nyc, but they dont all operate at the same exact frequency which is y some select TLs may have problems.

If worse comes to worse, i would say to jus have the reciever module replaced.

Quick Reply: Automatic Window glass lowering !!!