Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Auto Cool

I'm pretty sure this product will not work but I live in Arizona and I really want to try one out.

https://www.autocooltv.com/ppc/index...=&refcode=ppcG
Old 06-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bentleys come with two solar powered fans that do this. It was on the morning news last week. I know from the time I spent living in Tempe anything that would help would be welcome. Try it out and tell us how powerful it is. I would definately buy one if it works well! Plus that cup holder caddy looks extra nice
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by twigglius
I'm pretty sure this product will not work but I live in Arizona and I really want to try one out.

https://www.autocooltv.com/ppc/index...=&refcode=ppcG
Save your money...these things are :ghey: and have been around for a long time. I cant imagine seeing one of these things on my window!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it I sell HVAC products for a living and this works on the same principal as an "attic fan" which don't work either. That fan would not be able to move enough air to cool the interior to any desired temperature. The source of heat is coming from the sun and the radiant heat it produces from the roof of the car, and treats the interior like an oven. That fan would in effect, transform your car from a normal oven, to a convection oven, figuratively speaking.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Just tilt your sunroof. Also, when you get in the car, open the sunroof and lower windows (do it with your key fob before getting in, if you wish)...lets out a lot of heat very quickly.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Moved to the LOU

I agree that this product will most likely NOT work but you guys making suggestions about rolling windows down and tilting the sunroof have no idea how hot it is in Arizona. When it's 116 degrees outside the wind has a burning sensation on your skin. I can roll the windows down but taking the interior temperature of your car from 145-135 does not really help.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Moved to the LOU

Summer Car Safety

From Judy Hedding,
Your Guide to Phoenix, AZ.

Your Car Will Be a Hot Car

If you find your self living anywhere where it gets pretty hot in the summer, you'll want to know what locals know about summer car safety. Having the right items--and never having the wrong items--in your vehicle will make driving in the heat a much safer and enjoyable experience.

If you ever park outside during the summer months, your car will heat up quickly. Heat coming in through the windows is absorbed by the interior, and the glass acts as an insulator. The temperature in your car get up to 200 degrees, depending on the temperature outside, the kind of vehicle you have, and how long it has been in the sun.

Before we get to the tips, here are a few words about children and pets. Do not ever leave children or pets in a closed car. It doesn't take much for heat stroke to set in, or worse.

Every year children and pets die in cars. Small children and animals are not able to open a window or open a door like you can. Typically, they will be quiet as heat overcomes them, so there won't be crying or other audible indications of trouble. Cracking the windows does not help. That may relieve the pressure in the vehicle and keep the windows from blowing out in the heat, but it doesn't prevent the temperature from rising. Leaving children and pets inside a closed car, or even one with the windows rolled down, is dangerous, deadly, and illegal. Report children or pets in hot cars to the police immediately by calling 911.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:15 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I agree that this product will most likely NOT work but you guys making suggestions about rolling windows down and tilting the sunroof have no idea how hot it is in Arizona. When it's 116 degrees outside the wind has a burning sensation on your skin. I can roll the windows down but taking the interior temperature of your car from 145-135 does not really help.
Perhaps a remote startup would help you. I assume youve tinted your windows already? that probably goes a long way to keeping out the heat.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I to lived in Tempe, other then having tinted windows and a front sun shade, I don't think there is going to be much you can do. As for the product, you may try getting several of them, putting one in each window or more. Venting the sunroof does help alittle, but if you open the slider and vent it, it doesn't help. Just slide it back about 2" and vent the sunroof. Good luck out there this summer, its going to be a hot one.

Jason
Old 06-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can see twigglius car already with 10 of these things on it.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
Twigglius may need a few of them-- it's a question of cfm, like intakes: fans need to move lots of cubic feet per minute to remove hot air and bring in cooler air in less time than it takes the inside air to heat up again in the car. There was an article in the June 21 L.A. Times that touched on this:

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...-home-highway1

Twigglius, let us know if you get one (or several) and if the interior is noticeably cooler.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by lembowski
ahahahah... that would be fucking hilarious and hell, it would only cost $60.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Twigglius may need a few of them-- it's a question of cfm, like intakes: fans need to move lots of cubic feet per minute to remove hot air and bring in cooler air in less time than it takes the inside air to heat up again in the car. There was an article in the June 21 L.A. Times that touched on this:

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...-home-highway1

Twigglius, let us know if you get one (or several) and if the interior is noticeably cooler.
like i said before, i work in the HVAC business and CFM engineering is what i do all day. there is no way that this fan would do what any of you want it to and a better investment would be darker tint and a windshield deflector as someone above said.

When exhausting air, the goal is to remove hot air and replace it with outside air. In arizona he is talking 115 f. air temp, which means the absolute minimum air temp in the car will be is 115. The radiant heat created from the sun on the roof of the car and interior is what heats the air to the temps well above the outside temp of 115. To do this, you need to have a fresh air exchange, exhausting enough to keep the interior air from becoming stagnant and being able to heat up.

in lemans terms, instead of having 4 fans blowing outward, it would be better to have two blowing in and two blowing out. even at that, they will not generate enough air transfer to cool the interior to a desirable temp. nevermind the amount of air pollutants and dust that would be pulled into the car.

BOTTOM LINE: IT WILL NOT WORK!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Moved to the LOU

Looks like the auto cool makes your car HOTTER!!!

http://cbs13.com/seenon/local_story_175014927.html
Old 07-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Looks like the auto cool makes your car HOTTER!!!

http://cbs13.com/seenon/local_story_175014927.html
That's hilarious, albeit unhelpful! I assume you saved some money by not buying one of these fans. I guess the lesson here is to use those passive auto shades instead. I 've been in Sacramento and my in-laws live there now-- even a "dry" heat of 95*F is unpleasant, let alone the 150+F temp in the cars.
Channel 13 didn't explain the methodology of the test at all, but the increase of 30+ degrees F due to just the fan sounds inconsistent. Although I didn't expect the fan to cool the car down, I wouldn't expect a rise in temperature of more than a couple of degrees either. Maybe we should call Channel 13 and have it try 4 of the fans in a car to see if that cools the interior down...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:05 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ding069
like i said before, i work in the HVAC business and CFM engineering is what i do all day. there is no way that this fan would do what any of you want it to and a better investment would be darker tint and a windshield deflector as someone above said.

When exhausting air, the goal is to remove hot air and replace it with outside air. In arizona he is talking 115 f. air temp, which means the absolute minimum air temp in the car will be is 115. The radiant heat created from the sun on the roof of the car and interior is what heats the air to the temps well above the outside temp of 115. To do this, you need to have a fresh air exchange, exhausting enough to keep the interior air from becoming stagnant and being able to heat up.

in lemans terms, instead of having 4 fans blowing outward, it would be better to have two blowing in and two blowing out. even at that, they will not generate enough air transfer to cool the interior to a desirable temp. nevermind the amount of air pollutants and dust that would be pulled into the car.

BOTTOM LINE: IT WILL NOT WORK!

haha big words
but yeah My friend had it and it didn't work
Tints and Sun deflector is the way to go
Old 07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone at work in my old FL office bought one and reported they did not notice any difference. Also, they noted the fan would not work if the windows were already tinted and the gap left on either side of the device would let in rain (nearly every afternoon in Palm Beach County).