3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATLP rear window spoiler...mad and confused!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATLP rear window spoiler...mad and confused!

I finally got my ATLP rear window spolier painted last week. This past monday I had a buddy help me put it on my TL-S. I used super duty double sided 3M tape. We put it on the ends and everywhere the spoiler made contact with the glass. It looked sweet and really dressed up my Tl's ass end. The next morning I noticed that the side I was on (driver) had come loose from the glass. We did clean the glass and spoier with alcohol it and let it dry. I think there was a small problem with the spoiler not being curved quite enough to fit the window. Not a big deal, because I figured I'd reapply 3M tape and see what happened. This morning when I leave for work I notice that the spoiler is completely missing from my Tl-S. There is zero residue from the tape, so it looks like the spoiler was never there. I can't figure out if someone jacked it. It 's possible, because I've seen a black 3G tl enter and exit my neighborhood several times recently. I know he doesn't live here. Or maybe it came off the car on my way home from work last night. If that happened I must be the biggest douchebag in the world for not having heard or seen anything. Either way I'm bummed out. It was a great mod that I had been looking for.

If anyone else has or gets this I would look at something other than 3M tape for securing it.

This is in no way a shot or dig at ATLP.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
^ This happened to someone else as well with the rear window spoiler.. don't think it was ATLP though. It most likely flew off. I think I'm going to glue mine down.. don't wanna take the chance.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Dude that sucks you just got it and now its gone!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
that really sucks man...that happened to me once with an underbody tray I bought for my m3! hate it for ya.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've told peeps time and time again... double stick tape is for decklids... 3m WINDOW WELD is for glass ie. roof spoiler
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
*WFC #162*

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
I've told peeps time and time again... double stick tape is for decklids... 3m WINDOW WELD is for glass ie. roof spoiler
+1 on the window weld.. Just make sure you clean the glass and put enough of it on. Had to re do mine, but now that thing ain't going anywhere.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
I put my ATLP roof spoiler on and it's been about a week now.. I've checked the "stickiness" of the 3M double sided tape and it's not going anywhere... but I agree, the VERY corners of the spoiler do not go all the way down to make contact with the windshield.

I've been told to use window weld but I was just too lazy to go out and get some. But my spoiler doesn't seem to be budging...
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
funny I was just discussing this earlier today with greco, he and I are also having the same problem with it not sticking all the way. He mentioned he was going to use some sort of adhesive, dont remember what tho. Im waiting to see how he makes out before i give it a try.

I 3m sticky taped mine down 3 times and it just keeps lifting in the same spot, drivers side corner to about 4 inches in. The part that is still sticky taped down isnt goin anywhere tho.

Has anyone here actually used the window weld?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sweet, my roof spoiler is the JDM and it definitely doesn't lay perfectly on the glass. It sounds like that is a common theme with roof spoilers. I quit trying to get it to lay flush on the glass. But like others, mine doesn't seem to be going anywhere either. But damn..I'm so sorry to hear yours is completely gone. If it fell off during a drive, I've got to think you would have heard it come off or even felt it come off.

Sorry again....
Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I am still waiting on mine....
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Instructor

window weld is great... use it in conjunction with the double sided tape. takes awhile to dry though. I just stacked books on top of my spoiler to make sure it held during the drying process.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Yup... 3M Window Weld is the ish...and your spoiler will NOT fly away.... but it can still be jacked... when i took my sarona off the car, a little bit of elbow grease, and the spoiler came right off

the 3M window stuff takes a while to try... make sure you put some heavy items on top , to hold it in place... also, clean the window really well and try to do it in direct sunlight (helps the curing process)
Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im pretty sure about 90% of the atlp spoilers arent curved right
Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Racer

I used 3M tape, becuase that was what the guy from ATLP said to use in his email. Even if they weren't curved quite right, there wasn't that much of an issue that couldn't be worked around.

yeah, I also figured I would have heard it come off on my way home from work. I have perfect hearing , so I think it may have been jacked.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Yup... 3M Window Weld is the ish...and your spoiler will NOT fly away.... but it can still be jacked... when i took my sarona off the car, a little bit of elbow grease, and the spoiler came right off

the 3M window stuff takes a while to try... make sure you put some heavy items on top , to hold it in place... also, clean the window really well and try to do it in direct sunlight (helps the curing process)
I used the double stick tape with mine and it's holding great. the trick with tape and I mean any kind of tape is to put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to make it more sticky. I tried pulling on mine and I'm afraid it might break the glass
Old 07-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

So can you confirm window weld is not permanent and the spoiler can be removed with no trace residue on our glass? I asked this question before but no one answered.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
So can you confirm window weld is not permanent and the spoiler can be removed with no trace residue on our glass? I asked this question before but no one answered.
it can be removed, but it requires a bit of effort to do so. However your spoiler won't peel up by itself with the window weld. I believe that another member posted something about going to a body-shop and have something done so the spoiler would be permanently attached to the glass... I can't remember what it was called though...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't want to deal with these issues. If my spoiler comes off while I'm driving, I'm hitting the gas pedal.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
I don't want to deal with these issues. If my spoiler comes off while I'm driving, I'm hitting the gas pedal.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread, on my way to work I checked my ATLP window spoiler and one of the sides was starting to come off the glass. I've always had the curvature issue with the window spoiler but hoped that the tape + heating it up would fix the issue but apparently after 2 months the spoiler flexed back to the original curvature and is back to one side lifiting a good 3+ inches. Looks like I'm going with the Window weld stuff and hopefully it will hold. I'm just glad I caught this in time before I lost the spoiler. This should be notified to other owners as it is a hazard with only tape for those who had curvature issues.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

I have mine at the bodyshop right now and it pops up one side also I was going to exchange it but I decided to work with it. What I did was put each end on a milk crate and put weight on the middle and let it sit in the sun and a half hour later it was sitting perfectly flush. I know it could go back to its original form but my painter said after getting enough sun it should stay like that and with the 3m widow weld I dont think its going anywhere.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I didnt install my spoiler yet but theres 3m double sided tape already in place. Do i take that off and use the window weld stuff only?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
the spoiler really should not be used if it had the curvature issues. its like sucking in your stomach to put on pants that are too small. them fitting is only temporary and eventually the button on the pants will break.. Only difference here is that someone might get hurt.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree, if there are curvature/fitment issues talk with Mike before painting/installing. He offered to exchange mine with another but I already had the spoiler painted and was not going to eat the cost to repaint another. Even before the paint I test fitted, heated and flexed the spoiler to almost being flush and was told that was good enough along with the 3M tape so I proceeded.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
i just used window weld, no tape. there's no way that thing is coming off. i can grab it tug on it and shake the car! i dont have the ATLP i have the sarona spoiler and it fits "like a glove!"
Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the Window Weld made by 3M? I looked in two automotive stores today and two home improvement stores and found nothing by 3M other than the tape.

I really don't want to have to order it online, since I want to install this Friday.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Timb227
Is the Window Weld made by 3M? I looked in two automotive stores today and two home improvement stores and found nothing by 3M other than the tape.

I really don't want to have to order it online, since I want to install this Friday.
yes Tim, its made by 3M
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
man that sucks bro personaly i thunk some one stoled but thats jut me i have a trust isue well good luck any way wher yiu get it? iwant one hella bad
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

lol thank you thank you
Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
first off let me say that jtpl04 flipped me and made me a fan of the Sarona......i got it, shaved it and window welded it (as per jtlp04 recommendations).......looks great! BUT 2 weeks later the corners started to come off (middle is rock solid). DOnt know why this happened because i throughly cleaned both surfaces before i glued. ANyways, i took off the window weld left on the unglued sides and put some 3m tape........about 2 weeks later the spoiler is stilll there and stable.

Maybe the best method is a combination window weld and 3m tape combo where every couple of inches you change from one to the other...just a thought.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet07TL-S
I finally got my ATLP rear window spolier painted last week. This past monday I had a buddy help me put it on my TL-S. I used super duty double sided 3M tape. We put it on the ends and everywhere the spoiler made contact with the glass. It looked sweet and really dressed up my Tl's ass end. The next morning I noticed that the side I was on (driver) had come loose from the glass. We did clean the glass and spoier with alcohol it and let it dry. I think there was a small problem with the spoiler not being curved quite enough to fit the window. Not a big deal, because I figured I'd reapply 3M tape and see what happened. This morning when I leave for work I notice that the spoiler is completely missing from my Tl-S. There is zero residue from the tape, so it looks like the spoiler was never there. I can't figure out if someone jacked it. It 's possible, because I've seen a black 3G tl enter and exit my neighborhood several times recently. I know he doesn't live here. Or maybe it came off the car on my way home from work last night. If that happened I must be the biggest douchebag in the world for not having heard or seen anything. Either way I'm bummed out. It was a great mod that I had been looking for.

If anyone else has or gets this I would look at something other than 3M tape for securing it.

This is in no way a shot or dig at ATLP.

It would be seriously hilarious if that NBP TL had the ATLP rear window spoiler the next time you saw it.. If I were you I would retrace my drive to see if it did fly off. Sorry for being an ass but that story was seriously funny.. Murphy's Law.. study it well.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Fear and Loathing in my

When it rains, how does the water run off the roof of the car? Does the water puddle in the middle where the roof and spoiler meet, or does everyone leave a gap in the tape/glue so the water can run off under the middle of the spoiler? I've been thinking about this, because after a while if the water were to sit, wouldn't that eat away at the glue or tape holding the spoiler on?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Pro

Seems like there are a lot of fitment issues with the ATLP spoiler. As good as it looks, this obviously takes away from it. Personally, I just recieved my replacement spoiler. First one had fitment issues which I discussed with Mike and took pictures of for him to look at. He agreed that it had issues and didn't hesitate to replace it. Had Mike paint it on his end this time as he assured me he was going to test fit it to make sure there were no fitment issues. Well, I get home and throw up up on the car. The thing fits worse than the first spoiler.

It doesn't sit flush side to side, same issue others are having with one end lifting while the other is held down. If you do hold both ends down, there are gaps between the spoiler and the spoiler between the ends and the center on both sides. Also, it doesn't fit front to back, meaning if you hold the leading edge down (along the roof line) the rear edge doesn't contact the rear window. Also, the outer edges of the spoiler do not follow the edges of the rear window. The edges seem to bulge out instead of being straight like the edge of the window. The leading edge (along the roof line) is close to following the curvature of the top of the rear window but not great. Honestly, it just doesn't fit. Kind of makes me understand why I never see pics along the edges (looking down) from people that have installed their spoilers.

I haven't talked with Mike about this yet as I literally just got it today but I'm not sure what can be done at this point since this is the second try at this. I am thinking of trying to "get the spoiler to fit" since I've literally got months into this project. The other side of me doesn't want to half-ass it. I've bought several products from Mike, had issues with some, and Mike has been very receptive to working to make things right. I commend him for that.

After reading that other people are having issues with the corners lifting I'm even more weary of trying to get this on the car. As good as this spoiler looks from afar, the overall fitment would take away from it.