Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ArmorCoat clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ArmorCoat clear bra?

Anyone ever heard of ArmorCoat? Here's a link to their website.

Just for kicks - I called my Acura dealer to see what they charge for ClearBra (3M or whatever) and they don't do it anymore. They instead do this new Armorcoat. Thoughts? Opinions?

http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/
Old 04-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a somewhat similar thread specifically post #18 and post #24 has some photos. Any hints on the cost of Armorcoat? Another alternative to preserving the front end.

Originally Posted by teranfon
I've used an alternative to the 3M film for close to seven years now. I found the 3M would dull over time. What I do is have the body shop I deal with apply aluminumized clear to the surface being protected. First the surface to be cleared is masked off. This works very well because you get the desired angles and surfaces to be covered without having to compromise with the constraints of the 3M film. The surface is then etched with a product that dulls the factory clear and allows the aluminumized clear to be applied. It is then applied over several coats and left to dry for 12 hours. Aluminumized clear is the same product applied to factory wheels. It is extremely durable yet does not become as hard as factory clears coats. This allows for a surface that is able to withstand contact from road debris. The finished product is just beautiful. Its looks like a factory clear coat and can applied to most difficult of angles. Once the masking tape is removed you have a very slight ridge than you have to look for. And it will not fade or yellow.

The last four vehicles I have had done with this procedure have been new vehicles and I have yet to receive a single chip. This includes a pickup that is for farm use and sees a few gravel roads. I've also had this procedure done to the lower rockers of my Grand National and corvette as I hate splash guards. You cannot see the finished product and no chipping since its been applied.

It may be a consideration for you.

Terry
Old 04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

The cost is $750 for the hood, fenders, front bumper, mirror backs, and handle cups.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

If this was available two years ago, I would have probably gone this route. You'll still have a seam/edge like PPF, but maybe not as noticeable. I couldn't find any warranty info. $750 seems to be a good price and the cost of PPF installed starts anywhere from $500 and up. If the paint shop is decent, it just maybe a bargain. Being a pretty recent product, I don't know what the pros and cons would be.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

The owner of the shop was real honest with me about the pros/cons. Two cons he mentioned were that it is indeed permanent - no future removal without a full on sand down and repaint, etc. Piggybacking on that is that it is possible that a speck or two of dirt might get under the coat during install and then will be there permanently. Other then that - not much. I think the pros outweigh the cons here so I'm gonna go down to Lynnwood Acura at lunch today (all their loaners, etc. have it done I guess) and check out the look. Then I'll make my deicision.

It does make me feel better though that the dealership fully endorses the product -and in fact won't even sell a traditional 3M type clear bra through the dealership any more.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If anybody has pics of an armorcoat application, i would love to see how it looks.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by webbah
The owner of the shop was real honest with me about the pros/cons. Two cons he mentioned were that it is indeed permanent - no future removal without a full on sand down and repaint, etc. Piggybacking on that is that it is possible that a speck or two of dirt might get under the coat during install and then will be there permanently. Other then that - not much. I think the pros outweigh the cons here so I'm gonna go down to Lynnwood Acura at lunch today (all their loaners, etc. have it done I guess) and check out the look. Then I'll make my deicision.

It does make me feel better though that the dealership fully endorses the product -and in fact won't even sell a traditional 3M type clear bra through the dealership any more.
Hey webbah, keep us updated and if you do decide to have it installed, please post some pics.

Originally Posted by leedogg
If anybody has pics of an armorcoat application, i would love to see how it looks.
Seeing how it's a new product, the only pics avaialble will be on the site. Not much and the quality could be better on some. What I would like to see is a close up (hi-def) pic of the seam/edge and how it compares to PPF. This is the only one that shows it (somewhat).
Old 04-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Hey webbah, keep us updated and if you do decide to have it installed, please post some pics.
Will do - I have an install scheduled for Tuesday.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

One other thing - the guy told me it works better on darker cars - that was before I told him mine was black.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

I know - I know - but I finally had the ArmorCoat put on this past Tuesday - when I get my camera back - I'll post a few pics. I must say that I'm very pleased with my decision. Looks MUCH better then a traditional "clear bra" in my opinion. No cloudy effect. There is a visible line across the hood but no worse then a film bra. I have a couple of co-workers with the traditional clear-bra and they were both quite impressed with my install. With mine - the coating has no edges except across the hood. They take the whole bumper off and everything and coat it seperately.

Again - I'll post pics when I can.

J
Old 04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Racer

Any concerns about non-uniform fading over time?