Anyone with pics/suggestions for removing trunk badges removed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007 | 10:40 AM
Let's Go Pens

Anyone with pics/suggestions for removing trunk badges removed?

Hi All,

For those of you who removed your badges could you please post pictures. I'm considering removing the Acura badge the "A" and possibly leaving the TL type S or removing it completly.. I'm also thinking about removing it all and only leaving the A emblem located in the middle. Any suggestions? I just have to go pick up some fishing line and when it's hot enough outside i'll be all set.
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:46 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Evader
Hi All,

For those of you who removed your badges could you please post pictures. I'm considering removing the Acura badge the "A" and possibly leaving the TL type S or removing it completly.. I'm also thinking about removing it all and only leaving the A emblem located in the middle. Any suggestions? I just have to go pick up some fishing line and when it's hot enough outside i'll be all set.
I think you will be left with two holes in the trunk lid if you remove the "A".
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

I could be wrong, but don't the larger ones leave slight paint impressions? I'd have a body shop do it, i'm not much for touching the paint/bodywork though
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:49 AM
Cruisin'

ah yes... and holes.
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:55 AM
Banned

yes holes are the biggy... however you can have a shop fill up the holes..
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:08 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Use this thread by datmrman for a DIY. It's about body side molding, but you do the same thing:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...59#post1689859

Here's 2, one is a close-up! No marks! Just use wax afterwards!

I agree with the other guys in that the removal of the A is too much of a headache and will leave holes! I hate holes. They are synonymous with rust!
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:12 AM
Let's Go Pens

darksom1 thanks...I saw your ride on a previous post and loved the look. I like the look with the A anyway, so i'll leave it. Off topic, but with the license plate I gotta say something..... Let's Go Cowboys!
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:15 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

darksom1 thanks...I saw your ride on a previous post and loved the look. I like the look with the A anyway, so i'll leave it. Off topic, but with the license plate I gotta say something..... Let's Go Cowboys!
Hahahaha! That license cover is in the rear like that so you Cowboy fans can have something to read "back there"!!
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:48 AM
Safety Car

I used the hair dryer, dental floss, goo-gone method. Took all of 20mins to do.

I did not see any visible markings. But after driving, I noticed the dust collected on glue I couldn't see and was a perfect shadow of what was removed. So I washed it, used more goo-gone, scratch-x and waxed. Been good ever since.
Old 06-01-2007 | 12:29 PM
'07 NBP TL

There are two holes under the main "A" so unless you know how to fill them, removing it is probably a bad idea.
What you want to do is have the adhesive be heating so it will come off more easily. Do it on a hot summer day, heat gun, or hair dryer should all work. Use a dental floss to go behind the adhesive while you are pulling on the emblem a bit. The dental floss will help get the adhesive off of the paint. Goo-gone should be useful for what is left behind. Maybe using rubbing alcohol on Q-tips will work (but do it under shade and with a cold surface). Remember to wax it after you are done cleaning it. This is a summary of what a lot of people have said.
I don't know if anyone have mentioned but you might want to put painters tape around the emblem if you are planning to use dental floss (or in general to protect the surrounding paint). Since while u are moving the floss back and forth, you might scratch the paint. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 06-01-2007 | 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I did mine just like Darksom1. Took me ALOT longer than 20 minutes, though.
Just have to be patient. Use dental floss, goo-gone, and lots of elbow grease.
Looks great, though. No signs of the badges ever being there.
Old 06-01-2007 | 02:13 PM
All About Trance

I just used dental floss and my fingers to rub off the remaining double sided tape. Once gone, you will still see some impressions. After repeated car washes and waxes to that area, the impressions will disappear.
Old 06-01-2007 | 03:40 PM
Banned

yup my finger-nails came in handy throughout this job...
Old 06-01-2007 | 04:22 PM
iDrink

Originally Posted by buhhbuhh
yup my finger-nails came in handy throughout this job...
haha i did the same thing, took about 10 seconds. then waxed.
Old 06-11-2007 | 06:22 AM
Advanced

You want to debadge as soon as possible after you buy the car. If the car is a few years old or it has spent the summer on the lot unsold, your chances of having ghosted letters in sunlight go up dramatically. If it's been kept in a garage though, you should be okay in most cases. I debadged my last car, which had spent the summer on the sales lot before I bought it and in the right light you could see the outline of the "A4" on the trunk, but 99% of the time it wasn't noticeable.

My 2 cents:

Even if the A was as easy to remove, I personally would remove only the "Acura" and "TL"/"TL Type-S" emblems. If you clear the trunk completely it could end up looking like a Ford Focus. Clearing the left and right side of the trunk is a classic European look, which is very common overseas and how I'm planning to debadge my TL. Leaving the "Type-S" alone seems a bit much. That's what the double exhausts are for...
Old 06-11-2007 | 06:34 AM
Pro

Whenever I de-badged any of my previous cars I used fishing string. Real quick this way. Goo gone, wax wax wax.
Old 06-11-2007 | 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

One thing to consider is that dealerships are very anal about a trade in being in stock condition. This includes the badges you might remove. Be very careful and keep them unbroken in case you need to reinstall them.
Old 06-11-2007 | 07:52 AM
Safety Car

Here ya go

I removed all the emblems using 8# fishing line on a very damp morning. It took 3 minutes to remove the emblems and I rubbed the glue off with my fingers in 2 minutes. I didn't use any chemicals, just morning dew.

Then I decided to put the Type-S back on.

I used 3M emblem tape I bought at Autozone to put Type-S back on
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:59 AM
Stuck in Kalifornistan

Originally Posted by TLFourplay
Whenever I de-badged any of my previous cars I used fishing string. Real quick this way. Goo gone, wax wax wax.
+2 on the fishing line. Used some 8 lb. test and got 95% of it on the first pass

before...

and after...
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I surprised to say that I like where you put that back on... I may have to reconsider my statement above.

Old 06-11-2007 | 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Thankyou. I like it, and thats whats important. Plus with so many 04-06 TL's copying 07 TL-S models I had to put something there besides the exhaust. There IS a BIG diff, I owned an 06 TL Nav.
Old 06-11-2007 | 12:56 PM
DuDeChEwY

with badging

with out badging

looks sooo much better without the badges.
Old 06-12-2007 | 12:59 AM
Instructor

Fishing line....floss it off..then take a paper towel and press down hard on the adhesive and push away in one direction...should come off easily and get stuck on the paper towel. worked me that is....then off course wax on...wax off...daniel son...
Old 06-12-2007 | 02:02 AM
Instructor

I just did it last week. Here is how I did it:

1) use a hair dryer and heat the badges to soften the adhesives
2) use dental floss and floss the badges off
3) use my finger nails and get all the physically removable adhesives off
4) use Turtle Wax - Bug & Tar Remover to remove all the adhesive stains (http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,11)
5) use my favorite wax

I think the whole process took me less than 20 minutes.
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:28 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I need to know how to remove the "A" so I can swap it with my black chrome one. Since I'm swapping, the holes aren't an issue. Anybody?
Old 06-14-2007 | 01:01 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

From: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by darksom1
I need to know how to remove the "A" so I can swap it with my black chrome one. Since I'm swapping, the holes aren't an issue. Anybody?

It's not too hard Dark.......parts #3 and #9 in this diagram.

Part #9 .......... two white plugs that will most likely be stuck in the trunk holes when you pull the badge. The back of the badge has two pins that go in the plug holes. The rest is 3M tape.

Excess tape residue can be easily removed rubbing your fingers over it.
Old 06-14-2007 | 01:07 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Part #9 .......... two white plugs that will most likely be stuck in the trunk holes when you pull the badge. The back of the badge has two pins that go in the plug holes. The rest is 3M tape.

I didn't use go - be - gone, hair dryers or anything like floss or fishing line.
Old 06-14-2007 | 01:08 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by SteveP66

No need for hair dryers, bug remover, floss or fishing line either.....
Old 06-14-2007 | 02:59 PM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I removed all the emblems using 8# fishing line on a very damp morning. It took 3 minutes to remove the emblems and I rubbed the glue off with my fingers in 2 minutes. I didn't use any chemicals, just morning dew.

I used 3M emblem tape I bought at Autozone to put Type-S back on

I can't seem to find this damn tape anywhere...Went to three autozones and 2 pepboys! Do you have a pic so I know exactly what i'm looking for and I have something to show the idiots there.. All I could find was the glue and no way am I using that!
Old 06-14-2007 | 03:02 PM
Let's Go Pens

Once you change out the emblem I want to see what your new one looks like!
Old 06-14-2007 | 04:10 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I can't seem to find this damn tape anywhere...Went to three autozones and 2 pepboys! Do you have a pic so I know exactly what i'm looking for and I have something to show the idiots there.. All I could find was the glue and no way am I using that!

Have you tried a Home Depot?
Old 06-14-2007 | 04:22 PM
Godfather of Chrome

From: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Every time I read one of these "has anyone ever thought of removing the badges" threads, I'm always shocked that someone doesn't jump in here who's actually done a full de-badge where they remove the A emblem. I wonder why no one is willing to pony up the cash to have the paint work done, especially with the way people spend money on other frivolities (I'm as guilty of this as anyone).

That is one that is seriously on the list of future mods, and I will get it done. To quote an iconic character "She will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine."
Old 06-14-2007 | 08:15 PM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by brettallica
Every time I read one of these "has anyone ever thought of removing the badges" threads, I'm always shocked that someone doesn't jump in here who's actually done a full de-badge where they remove the A emblem. I wonder why no one is willing to pony up the cash to have the paint work done, especially with the way people spend money on other frivolities (I'm as guilty of this as anyone).

That is one that is seriously on the list of future mods, and I will get it done. To quote an iconic character "She will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine."

I'm acutally planning on removing my rear badges this weekend and i'm considering removing the "A" and taking it to the shop and see what they quote me to "fill and repair" the holes left by the vacated emblem. I love the debadged look but I just don't really care of the "A" sitting alone in the middle. We'll see what the shop says next week. Can't put that big of a hole in the pocket
Old 06-14-2007 | 08:42 PM
Subsonic

has anybody tried to put the "TL" badge in the middle where the "A" sits?
or the "Acura" where the "A" sits?

if so pics pls...

i've seen a civic with the "Civic" in place of the "H" and i must say that looked REALLY good. wondering how that would look on our tl's... =)
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Here is the 3/4" 3M Tape

I bought it at Autozone
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:42 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Once you change out the emblem I want to see what your new one looks like!
No prob! It's raining here, so I can't for a couple of days (as per forcast). Saturday might be the day. I will post in my thread, but I will do one here too.
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:04 PM
07 WDP TL

Whoever said you need to use fishing line and a blow dryer to remove the badges is a LIAR! I removed the Acura and the TL with my bare hands, I just moved it and it fell off(used force ofcourse). And for the A, i took it off, but it had holes so i just stuck it back on, used a binder divider(hard thin piece of plastic) to remove it
Old 06-15-2007 | 03:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bcbtony
Whoever said you need to use fishing line and a blow dryer to remove the badges is a LIAR! I removed the Acura and the TL with my bare hands, I just moved it and it fell off(used force ofcourse).
Some people like to be more careful than others. In the end, its the final product. If it looks good, then its all good.
Old 06-15-2007 | 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

Hey buddy, all u need to do is pour a glass of hot water on the badge that you would like
to remove, and then use dental floss to floss it out. wipe it down with wd40, it took me
one minute to do it.
Old 06-15-2007 | 02:31 PM
Banned

^^ wow that sounds like it would make things a lot easier

Quick Reply: Anyone with pics/suggestions for removing trunk badges removed?