Anyone paint their Brembos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004 | 05:03 PM
Instructor

Anyone paint their Brembos?

I have a WDP 6MT with 19" Anthracite Hiros. I was wondering if anyone painted their front Brembos. I'm considering painting them red and the back calipers red as well. Perhaps even masking out the white "Acura" on the front. The other option is to simply paint the back calipers black to match.
Old 10-02-2004 | 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Personally I don't think they would look good red on a white car. I would paint them black and certainly highlight the 'Acura'.
JMHO
Old 10-02-2004 | 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Thars gold in them thar hills

This is what I did with mine (front and rear). I have a Camel interior so it sticks with a color theme.

Old 10-03-2004 | 02:03 PM
Safety Car

Where did you get that gold paint?
Old 10-03-2004 | 02:04 PM
Safety Car

nevermind: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp
Old 10-03-2004 | 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xpditor
This is what I did with mine (front and rear). I have a Camel interior so it sticks with a color theme.

Those look a lot like the 02+ NSX caliper color.
Old 10-03-2004 | 02:35 PM
Racer

XP, Do you find that the gold color lets brake dust show easily?

I was thinking blue since I have ABP but I found THIS LINK showing the application process and the blue color . I think this shade of blue would look HORRIBLE on a dark ABP car.

For others that are looking for this paint, a quick search on Ebay shows 2 dealers selling the G2 paint kit for $24-$25.
Dealer #1 - $25
Dealer #2 - $24 - HINT - Go directly to the dealer's web-site. These eBay morons are bidding more than what the dealer is selling it for on their site.
Old 10-03-2004 | 03:58 PM
Safety Car

I just painted my stock front calipers (non-Brembo) black with the DupliColor Caliper paint kit ($15.99 with one can of paint, brush, masking tape, Caliper cleaner aerosol). There is plenty of paint to go around w/ one can, and the finish is semi-gloss. Dried fast, and it was easy to control the paint w/ the brush applicator. I don't know how long it'll hold up, so this is all I can comment on.
Old 10-03-2004 | 04:04 PM
Safety Car

Old 10-03-2004 | 04:22 PM
Instructor

Does anybody have any pics with red calipers? Thanks
Old 10-03-2004 | 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I just painted my stock front calipers (non-Brembo) black with the DupliColor Caliper paint kit ($15.99 with one can of paint, brush, masking tape, Caliper cleaner aerosol). There is plenty of paint to go around w/ one can, and the finish is semi-gloss. Dried fast, and it was easy to control the paint w/ the brush applicator. I don't know how long it'll hold up, so this is all I can comment on.
I will hold up for a long time. I have used the same product on my NSX. Other NSX owners have nothing but praise for it.
Old 10-03-2004 | 05:43 PM
Safety Car

92NSX,

Thanks for the info, I would hate it if it started chipping... but I'm glad your experience is that it holds up over time. HOw many coats do people usually put on? I only put on two.
Old 10-03-2004 | 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I put on two also.
Old 10-03-2004 | 06:57 PM
Instructor

How long did you let it dry in between. I figure this could take a while to do by jacking up one wheel at a time.
Old 10-03-2004 | 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Where did you get that gold paint?
Walmart.
Old 10-03-2004 | 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

That's the brakes!

Originally Posted by Brokedoc
XP, Do you find that the gold color lets brake dust show easily?

I clean the wheels and calipers at the same time with regular car wash and a wheel brush. It doesn't show the brake dust any more or less than the stock color.

I painted the calipers with metallic gold spray paint from Walmart - about $3. I did one wheel at a time using the jack that came with the car.

I masked the area with masking tape and aluminum foil:

It took about two hours on a Saturday morning. The paint dried almost immediately.
Old 10-04-2004 | 12:13 AM
Racer

how do you paint the calipers looks cool i have ABP so if i could find dark blue caliper paint and detailed instructions i will do it
Old 10-04-2004 | 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blufox
how do you paint the calipers looks cool i have ABP so if i could find dark blue caliper paint and detailed instructions i will do it
If I may.
They make a kit designed just for this very purpose. It is made by Duplicolor. It is a very good product and comes with everything you need, paint wise.
They recommend, and so do I, that you put the car on jack stands and remove all wheels while doing job. I don't drive my car (NSX) very often so I was able to put it up, clean everything VERY GOOD and then paint. I can't remember the exact length of time they say to let the coats dry before proceeding again, but it's not very long. The kit is good for at least 2 good coats. I let mine dry for a couple of days before driving again. I think they say to let set for 24 hrs. Using this kit will ensure you never having to do it again.
I know of several guys who track their cars and have no peeling, chipping or any other issues with it.
Best of luck !!!
Old 10-04-2004 | 09:42 PM
Instructor

What are jack stands? How do you jack up the car to get all 4 wheels off? Do the brembos consume more paint than the conventionals? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2004 | 09:56 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Originally Posted by Yauser
What are jack stands? How do you jack up the car to get all 4 wheels off? Do the brembos consume more paint than the conventionals? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2004 | 11:02 PM
Advanced

Nice

Nice jack !!!
Old 10-05-2004 | 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

1. You can't be serious.
2. Use two sets of stands.
3. I don't see why they would???
Old 10-05-2004 | 05:24 PM
Instructor

I've never seen jack stands used before. Of course I could've assumed what they were, but I wouldn't think that would be stable enough to confidently support a car.
Old 10-05-2004 | 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

They are used all over to support the full wieght of a car.
Old 10-06-2004 | 05:28 PM
Racer

I've never seen jack stands used before. Of course I could've assumed what they were, but I wouldn't think that would be stable enough to confidently support a car.
You used to see them in NYC when people stole your rims, you'd come back to see your car on stands. In the worse neighborhoods, the car would be up on cinder blocks or sitting straight on the ground.....glad the police have cleaned things up.
Old 10-06-2004 | 05:42 PM
Instructor

That happened to my friend while she was on call at the hospital. My rims have tuner bolt which require a key, factory locking nuts, and custom locking nuts. Not protection, just a deterent.

You used to see them in NYC when people stole your rims, you'd come back to see your car on stands. In the worse neighborhoods, the car would be up on cinder blocks or sitting straight on the ground.....glad the police have cleaned things up.
Old 10-06-2004 | 07:29 PM
Team Owner

Paint will get dirty after a while and will look like crap since it is hard to clean the caliper. Powdercoating is the way to go.
Old 10-06-2004 | 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Paint will get dirty after a while and will look like crap since it is hard to clean the caliper. Powdercoating is the way to go.
Granted powder coating is an option, albeit more time comsuming, expensive, and not everyone has immediate access to a good coater. I will dispute your claim that it gets dirty and is hard to keep clean. The Duplicolor system has almost a rubbery type feel when fully cured on the car and is cleaning with just simple soap and water. I know of many, including myself, who would say that in fact it doesn't look like crap. Maybe you have had a bad experience with it or something but for the average person wanting to improve the look of his/her vehicle without spending $$$, painting is perfectly fine.
One last thing, you can still get powerder coated items dirty also. It's not like it puts some type of force field over the part that is resists dirt or anthing.
Old 10-06-2004 | 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Yes but powdercoated parts will come clean easier than painted parts.

Good points, +1 rep

EDIT: I got you up to 2 dots
Old 10-06-2004 | 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Spray paint

Good points, +1 rep

As I mentioned above, I went the simple route and just spray painted my calipers with metallic gold paint from Walmart. I put two coats on. It dried quickly.

I clean the calipers everytime I wash the car at the same time I clean the wheels. I don't use strong cleaners- just the car wash solutions and a thin wheel brush that has like a coarse yellow pad (material). The calipers clean up easy and look as good as new after six months. The stainless parts are still shiny (see pic above).

I may have to repaint after a year or two- maybe. It's too early to tell.

XP
Old 10-06-2004 | 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Good points, +1 rep

I have to take your word for the cleaning aspect since I don't have any first hand knowledge of it. I know that powder coating when done right looks incredible.
BTW, thanks for points.
Old 10-06-2004 | 08:36 PM
Team Owner

I have powdercoated calipers on the way for my CL-S. The CL-S calipers are quite ugly in my opinion so I had them done in black to hide them.
Old 10-06-2004 | 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I have seen only 1 other NSX owner with powder coated calipers and they looked very nice. I would like to have it done someday but right now I'm happy with mine as they are.
I will be getting other things on car coated though.
Old 10-07-2004 | 11:11 AM
Racer

As I mentioned above, I went the simple route and just spray painted my calipers with metallic gold paint from Walmart. I put two coats on. It dried quickly.

I clean the calipers everytime I wash the car at the same time I clean the wheels. I don't use strong cleaners- just the car wash solutions and a thin wheel brush that has like a coarse yellow pad (material). The calipers clean up easy and look as good as new after six months. The stainless parts are still shiny (see pic above).

I may have to repaint after a year or two- maybe. It's too early to tell.

XP
I would recommend against using generic spray paint for calipers. It's a cheap, temporary fix but the paint may not stick well, won't stand up to the high temps that the calipers are exposed to and may not clean off completely if you decide to re-do it in the future. Plus, spraying the calipers without taking them off may lead to overspray in the wheel well or on the rotors if you're not careful.

I recall that your spray paint was $3. Many of the caliper paint kits (cleaners included) are $25-30. If you're gonna do all the work of taking off the wheels, putting the car up on stands and masking off the rotors, I would just as soon spend the extra money and do it right the first time.
Old 10-07-2004 | 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Time will tell...

I recall that your spray paint was $3. Many of the caliper paint kits (cleaners included) are $25-30. If you're gonna do all the work of taking off the wheels, putting the car up on stands and masking off the rotors, I would just as soon spend the extra money and do it right the first time.
Of course, that's your choice.

I showed you pictures of how I did it. There was no overspray. It was masked well. In my view, I DID do it right the first time.

As I said, it is six months later and there are no signs of deterioration. They still look as good as the day I painted them.

It would be nice if a high price always guaranteed high quality. But, in many instances, it is more an indicator of good packaging and marketing.
Old 10-07-2004 | 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Of course, that's your choice.

I showed you pictures of how I did it. There was no overspray. It was masked well. In my view, I DID do it right the first time.

As I said, it is six months later and there are no signs of deterioration. They still look as good as the day I painted them.

It would be nice if a high price always guaranteed high quality. But, in many instances, it is more an indicator of good packaging and marketing.
I'm glad it worked out in your view of things.
I however don't think $25-$30 is a high price for buying a product that does exactly what it says it will, as intended, and last much longer than going a cheaper route. You have to remember that you are buying more than just some paint. The kit includes other items to help to do the job.
You have your way, and others have their way. As long as you get the result you are searching for then all is good.
Old 10-07-2004 | 06:49 PM
Life at 9000rpm

Just a suggestion, use news paper to mask the brakes and everything instead of aluminum foil. The paint will run off the aluminum foil or it may not dry as quickly as news paper so you might end up getting it on your hands or pants and accidentally touch your car with it.
Old 10-07-2004 | 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Many ways to skin a cat...

Originally Posted by Indecision
Just a suggestion, use news paper to mask the brakes and everything instead of aluminum foil. The paint will run off the aluminum foil or it may not dry as quickly as news paper so you might end up getting it on your hands or pants and accidentally touch your car with it.
I used newspaper behind the wheel assembly to mask the inner fender well and suspension parts.

I used foil -following a tip on this forum- as it molds itself around the complicated shape of the brake rotor and can be slipped behind the pads.

I used masking tape for the black rubber and stainless parts. Here is what it looked like with the masking removed:

Old 10-07-2004 | 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I used foil -following a tip on this forum- as it molds itself around the complicated shape of the brake rotor and can be slipped behind the pads.
That is a very helpful tip. Thanks for mentioning again for those of us who didn't see it the first time.
Will certainly remember that in the futur for other painting projects.
Old 10-08-2004 | 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Check this out:

Have a look at this. It might be a good "middle" solution.

Special Caliper Paint

...and note that this is a package of two (2) eleven ounce aerosol cans.

Quick Reply: Anyone paint their Brembos?