3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know of retrofitted TL headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Anyone know of retrofitted TL headlights?

Hey guys I really really want to do a quad projector set up in my 06 tl headlights where I'll be eliminating the foglight and in place putting another projector, I think it would create a next level aggressive look and feel from the type-s headlights where one of the lights is just a DRL. Does anyone have any thread or articles relating to this subject from other forums or websites cause it would be a huge help!

and don't worry I've searched our forum and HIDplanet and haven't come up with anything really.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
look up Rodneyc77 and JNC. He had quad projectors on his TL and JNC did.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check out www.theretrofitsource.com my friend retrofitted his 07 accord with projectors. i was thinking about doing this but too much work. hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts
It's actually not recommended. From my reading and advice from a particular pro on Azine - it actually degrade your output/performance. Quite interesting and counter-intuitive. But yes - it does look cool :-)

Look around - range rovers, jags, benz, bmws, etc... none of them actually have quads.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyczkennyy
check out www.theretrofitsource.com my friend retrofitted his 07 accord with projectors. i was thinking about doing this but too much work. hope this helps!
Yeah I've checked out the site a while back I was planning on going through them to get my projectors they do really good work but it's just too expensive to have them do your headlights. But yeah I think one of the people on the site actually did one I saved a picture but never found the build

Originally Posted by EagleEye
It's actually not recommended. From my reading and advice from a particular pro on Azine - it actually degrade your output/performance. Quite interesting and counter-intuitive. But yes - it does look cool :-)

Look around - range rovers, jags, benz, bmws, etc... none of them actually have quads.
oh really? dang hopefully it doesn't degrade it dynamically but yes it would look really cool, yeah I've notices that they don't actually have quads projectors hopefully it'll work out when I do this, I found pictures of a quad fitted headlight for the TL but I couldn't find the build.

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
look up Rodneyc77 and JNC. He had quad projectors on his TL and JNC did.
Yeah i couldn't find anything under rodney maybe it was really far back i'm looking at JNC's posts now

Last edited by KN.TL06; 06-26-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
JnC has a thread and he has already done them, lol.
I believe rodney only had a projector lens in there, not a true quad set up.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The reason that cars don't have OEM quad projectors is because they aren't DOT legal. The DOT restricts roughly how much light can be used, hence the 55W halogen limits and 35W HID limits.
JnC can do a quad projector but it can't be done with OEM parts, there isn't enough room. Once I actually went and looked at it myself it was obvious that the OEM was waaaaay to big to fit behind the DRL spot. I suppose if I wanted to go with a smaller radiotor it could maybe be done but I'm not that desperate. JnC uses a "Retrofit Source" kit designed for something else and then does some serious filing and cutting to make it fit within our DRL/fog light housing. He says it's about 70% as bright as the OEM HID's due to the smaller projector size. Doing a whole upgrade with the ZKW-R lens and bulb upgrade and the bi-xenon kit was going to cost me about $650. It was tempting but I graduate next month and want to wait until I have a job before springing for it. Contact JnC and he'll explain it all to you.
The following users liked this post:
KN.TL06 (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpgayan
The reason that cars don't have OEM quad projectors is because they aren't DOT legal. The DOT restricts roughly how much light can be used, hence the 55W halogen limits and 35W HID limits.
JnC can do a quad projector but it can't be done with OEM parts, there isn't enough room. Once I actually went and looked at it myself it was obvious that the OEM was waaaaay to big to fit behind the DRL spot. I suppose if I wanted to go with a smaller radiotor it could maybe be done but I'm not that desperate. JnC uses a "Retrofit Source" kit designed for something else and then does some serious filing and cutting to make it fit within our DRL/fog light housing. He says it's about 70% as bright as the OEM HID's due to the smaller projector size. Doing a whole upgrade with the ZKW-R lens and bulb upgrade and the bi-xenon kit was going to cost me about $650. It was tempting but I graduate next month and want to wait until I have a job before springing for it. Contact JnC and he'll explain it all to you.
yeah that is tempting and a lot of money as well maybe I can gather some more information for this build hopefully he'll help or in the long run just go with him to do them. thanks! i appreciate your help
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian
exactly, there isn't enough room to put an actual projector in the DRL area (not deep enough).
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
you know theretrofitssource doesn't do retrofit right? They only sell the stuff.

email them if you want to have stuff retrofitted
http://www.theforumretrofitters.com/...ters/Home.html
Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Instructor

well they have people who they recommend for the job and their work is as expensive as hell
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
No one has done them on an 04-06 TL headlight set up. I have done this for myself by getting 07-08 headlights since it has the bezel already in there and I put a morimoto mini projector in there. I have retro'd quad Halos on the 04-06 TL headlight, but It would be hard to make it look OEM by having quad projectors since you would have to get one almost identical to the stock one to make it look right..
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
^correct, the only quad xenons were done on type-s headlights.
The secondary projector used was the morimoto mini.
emilio320 (01-02-2012)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 AM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a quad setup on my 06 tl headlights. In place of the fog lights I have a rx330 afs projectors from a 03-06, and a custom part from jvx to give it more of a s2k output. one main reason im selling my custom honda accord fog light retro with projectors in the black market is due to i cant even tell my fogs are on. for me night becomes day. =)
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
False...
From what I remember there was a member on our forums who had his TL equipped with TSX projectors on his o4-o5 by HID Illusionz? He also had sequential-front-turn signals.
Something totally unique to the Acurazine community.

I myself have JDM Subaru Legacy FOG-projectors in my o4.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Check this out. Quad set up on an 04-06.
http://hidillusionz.blogspot.com/2010/08/acura-tl-tsx-e46-quad-retrofit.html

The only projector that I know of that would fit in the 07-08 is the Morimoto Mini. It is a Bi-xenon projector so you should be able to utilize the high beam function with some wiring.

Last edited by nate_0022; 06-28-2011 at 10:34 AM.
o4Komodo (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Cripes...since when are the stock bi-xenon projectors not good enough? I don't see the point unless you have money to burn and you just want to be different.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Isnt being "different" the point of just about every non performance related mod? lol
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_0022

The only projector that I know of that would fit in the 07-08 is the Morimoto Mini. It is a Bi-xenon projector so you should be able to utilize the high beam function with some wiring.
Damn these Quad Projectors don't look so bad. I thought they would look awful but i was wrong.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
So . . . if people think we have our high beams on with just 2 projectors, I can't imagine what they'll think when they see 4 projectors.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

I was lazy to search, that's the one nate!!
video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOn78piue0

Last edited by o4Komodo; 06-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:03 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
i have a set of Morimoto Mini projectors and was planning on putting them for my DRL area (2006 black chrome headlights). it didn't work out for me, they were still too deep to clear or fit unless you cut your existing bowl off. if you push them in all the way without the bowl, you have to consider the space you have left after you put your headlights back on your car on the passenger side. no problem for driver side though.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AckTL05
No one has done them on an 04-06 TL headlight set up. I have done this for myself by getting 07-08 headlights since it has the bezel already in there and I put a morimoto mini projector in there. I have retro'd quad Halos on the 04-06 TL headlight, but It would be hard to make it look OEM by having quad projectors since you would have to get one almost identical to the stock one to make it look right..
Yeah i researched and thought about putting on in also I wasn't going for OEM look though i was planning on putting a gatling gun shroud over it a little bit aggressive but i have to figure out how to match it in with the simple bezel around the oem tl projector.

Originally Posted by mmcv6
i got a quad setup on my 06 tl headlights. In place of the fog lights I have a rx330 afs projectors from a 03-06, and a custom part from jvx to give it more of a s2k output. one main reason im selling my custom honda accord fog light retro with projectors in the black market is due to i cant even tell my fogs are on. for me night becomes day. =)
haha yeah how does it look got any pictures?

^correct, the only quad xenons were done on type-s headlights.
The secondary projector used was the morimoto mini.
yeah i saw some pictures from jnc but i've seen a few modded 04-06 headlights but it's rarely been done.

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
False...
From what I remember there was a member on our forums who had his TL equipped with TSX projectors on his o4-o5 by HID Illusionz? He also had sequential-front-turn signals.

do you have any pictures? what were the dimensions on your projectors? sequential turns signals are pretty sick i saw some on youtube for the tl

dang so the tsx projector fits fine huh? I just don't like the shroud i was planning on putting another tl projector but they're pretty big i was going to put in a morimoto forgot which model it was but it had a 2.5' lens with 5.25 in depth i think.

Originally Posted by ebelp
Cripes...since when are the stock bi-xenon projectors not good enough? I don't see the point unless you have money to burn and you just want to be different.
just to be different is all about customizing your car man haha that's the difference between being stock and being awesome.

Originally Posted by lucnex
Isnt being "different" the point of just about every non performance related mod? lol
^he understands haha

Originally Posted by Mafyoso
Damn these Quad Projectors don't look so bad. I thought they would look awful but i was wrong.
yeah man it'll look really aggressive

Originally Posted by mn2trance
So . . . if people think we have our high beams on with just 2 projectors, I can't imagine what they'll think when they see 4 projectors.
people say it decreases the efficiency of your lights but I'm willing to give it a shot

I was lazy to search, that's the one nate!!
video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOn78piue0
Originally Posted by lights
i have a set of Morimoto Mini projectors and was planning on putting them for my DRL area (2006 black chrome headlights). it didn't work out for me, they were still too deep to clear or fit unless you cut your existing bowl off. if you push them in all the way without the bowl, you have to consider the space you have left after you put your headlights back on your car on the passenger side. no problem for driver side though.
so they don't fit at all? i was planning on getting rid of the bowl.

Oh and I'll post drawn pictures on my plan for retrofitting these 04-06 headlights! stay tuned!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Fog projectors are pretty small. The lens is like 2.25"-2.5" and the projector itself isn't all that much bigger since fog-projectors are usually for halogens.

What I did was cut the rear of my DRL housing so the end of the projector fit through properly. That was the only issue I came across when I was installing mine.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Rodney indeed has true quad xenon low beams, e46 singles were used for his set up, where as the other set up I did was with MH1s hence they were quad xenon.

If done right, you can have quad projector set up for 04-06 TL as well.
rodneyc77 (06-30-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelp
It's the same point as upgrading from halogens to HID's. More light = more better. When headlights get to the point of being brighter than the sun, then there will be no point. Light is like horsepower, you can't have too much.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 PM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pm me your email add if you like pictures and ill email it to you when i got a chance...
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Fog projectors are pretty small. The lens is like 2.25"-2.5" and the projector itself isn't all that much bigger since fog-projectors are usually for halogens.

What I did was cut the rear of my DRL housing so the end of the projector fit through properly. That was the only issue I came across when I was installing mine.
do you have any pictures of the build? I'm really interested in this as an option. did you just seal up the back with some rubber silicon sealant?

Originally Posted by JnC
Rodney indeed has true quad xenon low beams, e46 singles were used for his set up, where as the other set up I did was with MH1s hence they were quad xenon.

Oh i see that's crazy how was the fitment for the projectors did you have to cut through the back in order to fit the projectors in there?

Originally Posted by mmcv6
pm me your email add if you like pictures and ill email it to you when i got a chance...
okay will do!

Originally Posted by jpgayan
It's the same point as upgrading from halogens to HID's. More light = more better. When headlights get to the point of being brighter than the sun, then there will be no point. Light is like horsepower, you can't have too much.
haha yep you got it
Old 06-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC

Thank you JnC... I was just about to respond... We didn't half ass anything on that car...

I like the new Bi-Xenon Quads you doing now-a-days...

I will be talking to you about some stuff I want to do to the Benz in the future.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 PM
iWhine

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
False...

Correct...I did have them done by Rich at HID Illusionz. The video posted above is also my retrofit although that was version 1. Version 2 is much cleaner especially with the alignment of the retrofitted projector and is also on his website.

I had to do some cutting of the chassis (not much) for the headlight housing to fit due to the new projector in the fog light section (I used 06 CDM OEM headlights which are similar to the 04) sticking out the back of the housing. It can be done...it has been done!:wink:

Here is the link to my original thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/h23accords-2006-cdm-acura-tl-tsx-hid-quad-projector-retrofit-731564/
Sorry for never following up with updates as I never got the chance to post up a good video of everything. Just haven't made it a priority I guess.

EDIT: I just checked and it looks like he took down the version 1 setup since the version 2 was much better anyway.

Last edited by H23Accord; 06-30-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by H23Accord
Correct...I did have them done by Rich at HID Illusionz. The video posted above is also my retrofit although that was version 1. Version 2 is much cleaner especially with the alignment of the retrofitted projector and is also on his website.

I had to do some cutting of the chassis (not much) for the headlight housing to fit due to the new projector in the fog light section (I used 06 CDM OEM headlights which are similar to the 04) sticking out the back of the housing. It can be done...it has been done!:wink:

Here is the link to my original thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731564
Sorry for never following up with updates as I never got the chance to post up a good video of everything. Just haven't made it a priority I guess.

EDIT: I just checked and it looks like he took down the version 1 setup since the version 2 was much better anyway.
wow looks really good the guy did a really clean job on them!
Old 10-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Retro to 06 TL

Old 11-01-2016, 05:53 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Proper retrofits in my Accord are vastly superior to the 1st generation OEM HIDs in my G35. Had mine done by a guy in a facebook group for Accords, its kind of a hobby for him. Probably worth it on a TL too if the factory HIDs aren't doing it for you.

Name:  IMG_20160626_125559_zpsnssgdd4a.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  776.3 KB
Old 11-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i love to do retrofits here is my TL... this is the road i drive down its pitch black everynight!
this is my tl