3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install the A-Spec Kit for the 08 Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone install the A-Spec Kit for the 08 Type S?

i looked at the installation guide, alot of drilling involved.

anybody done this yet?

would you recommend the dealer doing it?

sorry i wouldnt mind doing it by myself but kinda looks a little complex.

anyboy have their opinion or views on the matter?

thanks,
matt
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
For the front lip, you need to drill 4 holes. I just did this 2 days ago. No biggie. It's simple. Seriously.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
matt- welcome man!, I know you are dying to get the kit on, there are countless guys who have the kit, did you try the "Search"- i am sure that one will chime in with an easy DIY though- GL
Old 07-17-2009, 11:00 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

For the rear, you'll need a dremel to cut off some of the exhaust cut-outs. This isn't too hard, either. The instructions are pretty good, so you should be alright!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by jeowen
matt- welcome man!, I know you are dying to get the kit on, there are countless guys who have the kit, did you try the "Search"- i am sure that one will chime in with an easy DIY though- GL
thanks bro. i did the research but only found the DIY guide with with a pdf file for the install. guess i dont have the balls to drill into my brand new whip...

anyone care to help me out haha

thanks though
Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by princelybug
For the rear, you'll need a dremel to cut off some of the exhaust cut-outs. This isn't too hard, either. The instructions are pretty good, so you should be alright!

thanks bro, hahaha that dremel is gonna kickmy ass. and im guessing gotta do some drilling for the rear too

well i hope i can get it done in time and maybe show up to the next meet.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
......Why would you need to dremel exhaust cut-outs? He has a type s, not a 04-08 base.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by bforbrian
......Why would you need to dremel exhaust cut-outs? He has a type s, not a 04-08 base.

thats what i was wondereing also. but even in the instructions it says i need to cut out the exhaust cut outs
Old 07-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Matt, welcome to Acurazine. Be sure to post pictures when you've completed your mod.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you do need to dremel the exhaust cutouts......and for where you have to drill honda already placed X's where you need to drill its really simple and should be fine
Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Matt, welcome to Acurazine. Be sure to post pictures when you've completed your mod.
ill take pics ASAP
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
you do need to dremel the exhaust cutouts......and for where you have to drill honda already placed x's where you need to drill its really simple and should be fine
thanks for the heads up
Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Well, if you had a Type-S, you'd know why.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:00 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

ouch that was harsh man, but thats for the help, hope to see you at a meet someday
Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Yes you do need to cutouts for the axhaust, not hard i just used a sharp kitchen knife, for the rear pumper doesn't premark X's for the drilling so it a bit tricky on that.......i bought the car brand new the pumper is original.........no premark x for drilling so i was very disapointed...
Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by 85iroc
Yes you do need to cutouts for the axhaust, not hard i just used a sharp kitchen knife, for the rear pumper doesn't premark X's for the drilling so it a bit tricky on that.......i bought the car brand new the pumper is original.........no premark x for drilling so i was very disapointed...

uhhh did you mean rear bumper? and your rear bumper didnt have scribed markings for the drilling? hope i have the markings on mine. well see.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ i installed my 08 Type-S Kit... and just 09 SH-AWD kit last night

brand new car (3 weeks old) and half the scribes where MISSING.... which in turn, led me to drilling a hole in the wrong place....which was a big "boo-boo"
Old 07-18-2009, 11:47 PM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

brand new car (3 weeks old) and half the scribes where MISSING.... which in turn, led me to drilling a hole in the wrong place....which was a big "boo-boo"

ouch well if the scribes arent there ill just bring it to the dealer i guess. man i hope the scribes arent missin
Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
I have a type s rear bumper with aspec kit and atlp quads, i don't think i need a type s to know that i didnt have to do any dremeling, unless there's something back there that only type s's have... if that's true then enlighten me.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

I have a type s rear bumper with aspec kit and atlp quads, i don't think i need a type s to know that i didnt have to do any dremeling, unless there's something back there that only type s's have... if that's true then enlighten me.
damn i wish i had my aspec kit and i was actually back at home so i can see for myself what i need to do. but im stuck in hawaii for a week.......just finished being deployed for the navy....thank god haha
Old 07-19-2009, 11:19 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Post pics of before and after. im thinking about buying the Type S Aspec kit but i want to see pics of the NBP before i go thru with it.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Install is VERY straight forward..... any handy person can do it
Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
only on the base model bumper you have to do that. On the type-s bumper the exhaust cut-out simply snap out. if you were local nyc i would give you a hand to do it.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:30 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

say it ain't so Allon?!?!

Also there are 3 very little dimples sort to speak the you need to feel with your hand on the inside of your bumper in the center and of center a bit. it's to hold the center of the lip to the bumper. Trust me if you have a type-s you don't have to cut anything out. the instructions are based on both the base model tl and the type-s. You have to drill 4 holes for the front bumper and approx. 7 holes for the rear bumper. The sides are simple too just remove and replace that's all.

Last edited by CubanLynx84; 07-19-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
say it ain't so Allon?!?!

Also there are 3 very little dimples sort to speak the you need to feel with your hand on the inside of your bumper in the center and of center a bit. it's to hold the center of the lip to the bumper. Trust me if you have a type-s you don't have to cut anything out. the instructions are based on both the base model tl and the type-s. You have to drill 4 holes for the front bumper and approx. 7 holes for the rear bumper. The sides are simple too just remove and replace that's all.

thanks for the help guys, cant wait get to workin....gonna do a before and after build thread for everyone. as for now i posted pics of my beautiful stock TL Type Sexy
Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by monstaxmatt
thats what i was wondereing also. but even in the instructions it says i need to cut out the exhaust cut outs
no its as easy as 1-2-3 i did mines myself also . NO CUTTING INVOLVED AT ALL!!!! the exhaust cut outs have pop in clip thingys just pop it out and for the drilling part....in the back of the bumper u will see lil marks where u have to drill make sure its the right lil circles ....it should b a lil circle with a + in it ...drill the holes to those sizes and ur done
Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro

I ran into this problem when I installed my a-spec kit (Type-S kit on a Type-S). I had heard people say there was no cutting but the instructions, from Acura, say to cut. I removed the trim pieces from around the exhaust openings and after drilling the holes, tried to fit the lip on the bumper. Immediately noticed that there was something wrong with the fit. In order to get the studs in the lip close to lining up with the holes in the bumper I had to really wedge the bumper down onto the lip and it still didn't quite fit right.

Searched more on AZ and still couldn't find a definitive answer so went back to look at things again. You could see how the section of the bumper that the exhaust opening trim pieces attach to were in the way (the sections that the instructions tell you to cut). So I bit the bullet and cut the sections shown in the instructions, refit the lip, and everything slipped into place prefectly. That said, I am unsure how people have gotten their lip to fit "correctly" without cutting. Granted, directions are not always 100% accurate, but they do in fact say you have to cut the bumper.

Hopefully the extra explaination is a little more useful than people claiming you do, or do not, have to cut with no elaboration. Best advice I can give would be to do like I did and try it without cutting first and then cut if you feel you need to. Good luck with your install.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:20 PM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Well just paid for my aspec lip kit 774.00 and some change after tax pretty damn cheap
Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by jweb12
I ran into this problem when I installed my a-spec kit (Type-S kit on a Type-S). I had heard people say there was no cutting but the instructions, from Acura, say to cut. I removed the trim pieces from around the exhaust openings and after drilling the holes, tried to fit the lip on the bumper. Immediately noticed that there was something wrong with the fit. In order to get the studs in the lip close to lining up with the holes in the bumper I had to really wedge the bumper down onto the lip and it still didn't quite fit right.

Searched more on AZ and still couldn't find a definitive answer so went back to look at things again. You could see how the section of the bumper that the exhaust opening trim pieces attach to were in the way (the sections that the instructions tell you to cut). So I bit the bullet and cut the sections shown in the instructions, refit the lip, and everything slipped into place prefectly. That said, I am unsure how people have gotten their lip to fit "correctly" without cutting. Granted, directions are not always 100% accurate, but they do in fact say you have to cut the bumper.
+1 That is absolutely right. There is "room for error" when you cut. I was scared shitless when I started cutting but everything worked out perfectly. Have fun with your install.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a type-s still requires trimming. i just used a new blade in a box cutter and cut mine. the instructions are not very clear, imo, on exactly what needs to be cut. i did it right, but there is a drawing that would make it appear that you have to cut more than you really should.

to everyone - unless you own an 07-08 Type-S, quit passing out bad info. you still have to tri on a Type-S.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 AM
1904 Ridaz!!!

Well I just installed my kit today. For my rear bumper it did not need cutting at all all I did was unclip the gray pieces that surround the exhaust and took that part of then my add on slid on smoothly. Everything worked out great sides and rear were fast only too like 2 hours, as fo the front, no comment it was he'll tryna take out the millions of screws and bolts. Owe and not to mention I was scared out of my mind to drill into my bumper. I'll post pics soon, sorry didn't have take pics for a build thread but I'll be sure to post before and after pics. Thanks AZ for the help
Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by surlynkid
a type-s still requires trimming. i just used a new blade in a box cutter and cut mine. the instructions are not very clear, imo, on exactly what needs to be cut. i did it right, but there is a drawing that would make it appear that you have to cut more than you really should.

to everyone - unless you own an 07-08 Type-S, quit passing out bad info. you still have to tri on a Type-S.
Unless you own one make sure you know what you're saying cause the 07-08 Type-S DOES NOT NEED TO BE CUT OR TRIMMED!!!!!!!! and if you did do it then oh well for you. I put mine on and all I did was drill 5 holes in total. 3 in the middle of the bumper and 1 on each side of the bumper.

Everyone here talking what they don't know is just confusing everyone else who is looking to install the lip on their car. The O.P. already confirmed what us Type-s owners already said that no trimming or cutting is required. The instructions for the kit applies to both the base model and the type-s. Learn to look deeper into instructions and figure things out rather then go by black and white.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I love the A-Spec kit but sucks that you have to permanantly cut holes in your bumpers. Thats the only thing thats stopping me from doing this.

Oh and where is the best place to buy the A-Spec kit? Does it come pre-painted? I have Kinetic Blue Pearl.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Pro

Unless you own one make sure you know what you're saying cause the 07-08 Type-S DOES NOT NEED TO BE CUT OR TRIMMED!!!!!!!! and if you did do it then oh well for you. I put mine on and all I did was drill 5 holes in total. 3 in the middle of the bumper and 1 on each side of the bumper.

Everyone here talking what they don't know is just confusing everyone else who is looking to install the lip on their car. The O.P. already confirmed what us Type-s owners already said that no trimming or cutting is required. The instructions for the kit applies to both the base model and the type-s. Learn to look deeper into instructions and figure things out rather then go by black and white.
I'm not trying to, or going to, get into an argument over this. Clearly there are differing opinions on how the Type-S rear lip is "supposed" to be installed. Like I said in my previous post, the instructions say to cut and I had to cut to get my lip to fit correctly, but I'm not going to say that it's not possible to get the lip on without cutting. As far as your claim that the instructions apply to both models, if that were true, they (Acura) wouldn't have different instructions for the base and Type-S as linked in the 3G garage (link). You can also get the instructions from Tim at Hondacuraworld.

In the end, I don't see the big deal with cutting, you're already drilling holes in the bumper so what does it matter if you have to do some trimming.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Too many $$ toys

I own a Type-S. I purchased an A-Spec kit for my Type S. The factory directions said trimming was required for a Type-S. Trimming was required. Here are the instructions for both the 2007 and 2008. Sorry if yours does not fit the same way the japanese engineers wanted it to fit, but I am sure that you are WAY smarter then them, so just continue with the pontification and know that your rear underspoiler is not mounted properly no matter how smart you think you are.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII33317.pdf

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII37361.pdf
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by surlynkid
I own a Type-S. I purchased an A-Spec kit for my Type S. The factory directions said trimming was required for a Type-S. Trimming was required. Here are the instructions for both the 2007 and 2008. Sorry if yours does not fit the same way the japanese engineers wanted it to fit, but I am sure that you are WAY smarter then them, so just continue with the pontification and know that your rear underspoiler is not mounted properly no matter how smart you think you are.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII33317.pdf

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII37361.pdf
you just proved my point that both those instructions are the same for both the base and type-s, the only thing that is different is where it says the model. I don't know why you guys still insist that you need to trim the type-s bumper when you don't. A number of people have already said that they didn't cut the bumper. And my friend if you did the good luck to you cause my kit lines up perfect and all to mounting points are connected PERFECTLY!!! Not trying to be an ass about the whole thing but really enough is enough. And as for the "smarter then japanese engineers" thing, they did exactly what they where going to do and that's make a GENERIC set of instructions for the kit!!!! so for me seeing a slight flaw in their instructions makes me smarter then them so be it.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's my opinion:

People who "have" to trim their exhaust port of their type s bumper may have misaligned their aspec "holes" to their bumper or have drilled holes that are just a tab bit off of the aspec kit.

I had it happen to me but I went ahead and re drilled holes in mine. I have an 07 base bumper with a type s kit on me and yes I did have to cut my whole bumper in half, but not anywhere near the exhaust port as in the instructions.

I have done 4 type S aspec kit installations for my friends and NONE of the 4 had to be trimmed around the exhaust ports. Just make sure your holes line up perfectly and you are good to go. And all 4 were all type s models.

Instructions are not always 100% accurate and I know this by experience. When I installed my aspec suspension, the instructions (by ACURA) told me to remove 5 bolts to the rear seats, and which I did only to be stuck for 30 minutes trying to remove the seat because a 6th bolt was not removed, which the instructions FAILED to mention. (bolt was somewhat hidden from view) That goes to show that there are always "mistakes" in documents.

And lets think about this for a minute:
I don't get why the instructions require "cutting into your bumper exhaust" in order to make it fit. It defeats the point of precise enginering of the Japanese/ACURA. If the bumper needed to be trimmed, they should have engineered the kit to be "trimmed" like the exhaust port. Thats like saying "GO get a cheap kit off ebay for any model car like toyota, honda, etc., and then cut into your bumper to MAKE THAT KIT FIT.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Too many $$ toys

you just proved my point that both those instructions are the same for both the base and type-s, the only thing that is different is where it says the model. I don't know why you guys still insist that you need to trim the type-s bumper when you don't. A number of people have already said that they didn't cut the bumper. And my friend if you did the good luck to you cause my kit lines up perfect and all to mounting points are connected PERFECTLY!!! Not trying to be an ass about the whole thing but really enough is enough. And as for the "smarter then japanese engineers" thing, they did exactly what they where going to do and that's make a GENERIC set of instructions for the kit!!!! so for me seeing a slight flaw in their instructions makes me smarter then them so be it.
those were for 2007 Type S and 2008 Type S. Can you read the title of those directions? Here is 2007 TL non-Type S. Perhaps slowing down and reading would be a good thing.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII33787.pdf

I found the marks and drilled mine perfectly, and there was no way it was going to fit properly without trimming as detailed in the instructions. I tried it because the directions were not clear about how much to trim. There are no generic instructions for Type S and Base Model. They are specifically different. I am now quite sure that you are not smarter than them.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Sorry i have to hijack these pics, I think one with trim and one without......Just a thought i might be wrong.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...c/100_0858.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...85iroc/tls.jpg
Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by TSXinity
Here's my opinion:

People who "have" to trim their exhaust port of their type s bumper may have misaligned their aspec "holes" to their bumper or have drilled holes that are just a tab bit off of the aspec kit.

I had it happen to me but I went ahead and re drilled holes in mine. I have an 07 base bumper with a type s kit on me and yes I did have to cut my whole bumper in half, but not anywhere near the exhaust port as in the instructions.

I have done 4 type S aspec kit installations for my friends and NONE of the 4 had to be trimmed around the exhaust ports. Just make sure your holes line up perfectly and you are good to go. And all 4 were all type s models.

Instructions are not always 100% accurate and I know this by experience. When I installed my aspec suspension, the instructions (by ACURA) told me to remove 5 bolts to the rear seats, and which I did only to be stuck for 30 minutes trying to remove the seat because a 6th bolt was not removed, which the instructions FAILED to mention. (bolt was somewhat hidden from view) That goes to show that there are always "mistakes" in documents.

And lets think about this for a minute:
I don't get why the instructions require "cutting into your bumper exhaust" in order to make it fit. It defeats the point of precise enginering of the Japanese/ACURA. If the bumper needed to be trimmed, they should have engineered the kit to be "trimmed" like the exhaust port. Thats like saying "GO get a cheap kit off ebay for any model car like toyota, honda, etc., and then cut into your bumper to MAKE THAT KIT FIT.

Thanks TSX for the insight once again to confirm the "NO NEED TO TRIM ISSUE"!!! I'm done with this topic it's exhausted to death already!!

Originally Posted by 85iroc
Sorry i have to hijack these pics, I think one with trim and one without......Just a thought i might be wrong.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...c/100_0858.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...85iroc/tls.jpg
Mine matches the first pic and was not trimmed.