Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone had their 3g tl stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Age does not equal high standards.
Oh so it got towed, but didn't you say the video showed someone getting into the car and driving away?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
when a car is stolen its either a joy ride, bunch of kids driving around, doing stupid sh*t,
or it is stolen for parts (or shipped overseas), mostly for parts.

Your coworker's TL would be stripped to the frame, I've unfortunately experienced that twice.

The car was keyed? scratched? crashed for no apparent reason? interior just ripped, not missing?

100%%%% someone who knows him did this, he should go home, and make sure he has all the keys, including the valet key. Does he have an aftermarket alarm installed with the chip already in it?

Again, inside job. This sux man, why would you mess up someone's car, it's a friggen car, it has done nothing wrong, lol.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Race Director

this better not be a troll thread
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
when a car is stolen its either a joy ride, bunch of kids driving around, doing stupid sh*t,
or it is stolen for parts (or shipped overseas), mostly for parts.

Your coworker's TL would be stripped to the frame, I've unfortunately experienced that twice.

The car was keyed? scratched? crashed for no apparent reason? interior just ripped, not missing?

100%%%% someone who knows him did this, he should go home, and make sure he has all the keys, including the valet key. Does he have an aftermarket alarm installed with the chip already in it?

Again, inside job. This sux man, why would you mess up someone's car, it's a friggen car, it has done nothing wrong, lol.

Especially a TL.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM

I wonder where they crashed the car. Was it into a tree, a ditch? Maybe there were witnesses. Honestly if someone were to be stealing a car to strip it, they probably would have taken something from that guys TL and most likely wouldn't have crashed.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a troll thread? im lost here..wuts that? hahaha n well he said it looks like it was crashed into a wall or sumthin..maybe on the freeway..who knows. im thinkin he has issues with sumone. and im still working on that damn video..IT guy is givin me the run around..the cops shud be here by 5 to pick it up..he hasnt made it yet though.im off in 15 minutes..hope he gets it done..
Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JLJL
sounds sooo werid in 2 mins.. thats fast as hell..

did ur friend get any kinda service within 2-3 month? (oil change, valet parking and etc)

cuz when they get the key they could maybe make a copy of it? (<-- is that possible?)

and since they have ur info / or can follow you somehow and just use the key n drive off

hmm you should youtube the video lol
Somebody definitely had been patiently watching this guy. All it takes is a second or two for the owner to lose sight of the ignition key. An "impression" of the ignition key can easily be made and brought back to someone who has locksmith knowledge.

Also.... The thief is taking a risk in assuming that an upscale car (like an Acura TL) does NOT have a LoJack or similar tracking device.

As everyone else has mentioned: smells too much like an inside job.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Stacking chips.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This worries me also. I got my last car stolen from my work, never recovered. Insurance don't pay shit for modifications!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
This smells fishy
Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so did you had a chance to get that video? lol i'm waiting since morning.... and still no video... haha hope you got it
Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced

its time go get Lojack
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by leedogg
just get a club

waits for some smartass to say a club wont prevent theft
A club will NOT prevent a theft, I had a club on my maxima when it was stolen, all they do is cut the steering wheel, and bent it, and toss the club to the side while laughing hard at you (or me).

A club is effective if you use that metal cover with it, which covers the whole steering wheel, and you lock this cover with the club, then it's solid.

There is no smartass comment involved here leedogg, just common sense and experience.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

not for nothing but this dope person might be in it lol Insurance peopple do everything and so search the net for communities like this to find any possible information. This is too fishy. IF YOU GO TO GOOGLE AND TYPE STOLEN ACURA TL THE SENCOND LISTING THAT COMES UP IS THIS ONE 8) i'm no investigator but you cant just drive off with a TL under 2 mins. I know multiple people who are good at this and they wont even try to mess with TL's
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by Black_dc2
This worries me also. I got my last car stolen from my work, never recovered. Insurance don't pay shit for modifications!

Insurance does pay for mod. YOU MUST LET THEM KNOW OF THE MODS
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Race Director

clavodulce16, hmm, you may have a point....

I still think this is a troll thread, or someone is just trying to acquire info on how to actually steal a TL....you never know....

So where is that video?!?!?!?!?!?!? Proof? Pictures of the demolished/scratched stolen TL?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was it new or used?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by clavodulce16
Insurance does pay for mod. YOU MUST LET THEM KNOW OF THE MODS
Yep, I remember when I tried to insure my 00TL for all the mods, they wanted to raise my insurance by $1K a year, I told Geico to kiss my arse....and then when the car was stripped, 2 months later, I felt like the biggest dick in the world
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

sorry just wanted to do this!

:gheywave:
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

if they want it they got it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 AM
LyfeIs what you make it!

clavodulce16, hmm, you may have a point....
I still think this is a troll thread, or someone is just trying to acquire info on how to actually steal a TL....you never know....
So where is that video?!?!?!?!?!?!? Proof? Pictures of the demolished/scratched stolen TL?

Yeah, the more I read into this story the more I think it’s a troll thread. As a matter of fact, until I see this alleged surveillance video, I'm convinced it is.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
am I the only one who noticed that leedog OWNED teknoking?

just get a club

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A club will NOT prevent a theft, I had a club on my maxima when it was stolen, all they do is cut the steering wheel, and bent it, and toss the club to the side while laughing hard at you (or me).

A club is effective if you use that metal cover with it, which covers the whole steering wheel, and you lock this cover with the club, then it's solid.

There is no smartass comment involved here leedogg, just common sense and experience.
ps. LOJACK best way to get it back, I took my car to the dealer, 15mins later got a call saying the car had been moved, of course they took it for a drive to find a noise I had described, but just found it cool soon as they got bout a mile away I got the call
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by stillhere153
am I the only one who noticed that leedog OWNED teknoking?
Ok, you must be bored

v. owned, 0wned, pwned, 0wn3d, pwn3d, own3d.
v. tr.
To be made a fool of; To make a fool of; To confound or prove wrong; embarrasing someone: Being embarrased.

I didn't find leedog's post humorous as many poor schmucks still rely on the mighty club to protect them Just wanted to save them some cash
Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I'M BACK!!!

Originally Posted by clavodulce16
not for nothing but this dope person might be in it lol Insurance peopple do everything and so search the net for communities like this to find any possible information. This is too fishy. IF YOU GO TO GOOGLE AND TYPE STOLEN ACURA TL THE SENCOND LISTING THAT COMES UP IS THIS ONE 8) i'm no investigator but you cant just drive off with a TL under 2 mins. I know multiple people who are good at this and they wont even try to mess with TL's
wow..me? in it? im actually a decent guy ask around the 562/310 in cali..i actually hold a meet every week and work damn hard for my money EVERYDAY to have my TL. and its a blessing at my age..i go to school full time and ALL my money AND EVERYTHING i own has been legit. so for somone to come at me like that..NOT COOL. where my TL buddies, they know im a DAMN GOOD GUY! i was just tellin a storyfrom here at work..no way involved had nothing to do with this..so say wut u wanna say. the tape was not ready by the time i left work and it was given to the cops without another copy being made. the IT guy was bein n ass..as for pics..my co-worker states his camera was in the car along with his phone so coincidentally, i cant provide a damn thing. think what you guys want..i reall could care less. I was just stating facts and am in no way trying to "steal" a TL...not my stlye..funny how everyone jumps to conclusions though..but i expected nothing less
Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Race Director

dope! ,

We are just (I am) in disbelief that someone can drive off with a TL that fast; this is a concern for us.... Believe me, I will feel a million times better knowing that someone actually used a key to steal his TL....thats it....and no one is accusing you of anything, we just need more info!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I'M BACK!!!

Well guys this is HONESTLY all the info i can provide..the tape is WOW no joke guy just comes up from the back opens the door as if it were already open and is gone in 2 minutes..I HONESTLY think it might have been a key..it was wayyyy too fast..and it was not repo..thats y im shitting it..is there some way to program the remote to open other cars? thats wut it looked like and the camera is kind of car..so theres not much detail
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
There is pretty much nothing you can do to prevent the theft of your car if they are determined enough. Now, given this qualifier, cops have said a club or some other visible restraining device is the most effective deterrent.

You may not want your vandalized car back after the cops track your car down with lojack.

so the best recommendation is a club, and maybe security device stickers.

Let me say this again, the goal is to have the best deterrent.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Race Director

leedogg you are right,

One of my boys put a python in his custom hummer, crazy mofo.

A good deterrent would be cops who are actually care...I think stolen cars are the least of their concerns.

A good deterrent is to have the lojack stickers I guess, or a live camera with a hdd in the car, I just HATE the fact that we have provide a deterrent period, why do assh*les steal cars...this world is nuts....
Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I'M BACK!!!

leedogg you are right,

One of my boys put a python in his custom hummer, crazy mofo.

A good deterrent would be cops who are actually care...I think stolen cars are the least of their concerns.

A good deterrent is to have the lojack stickers I guess, or a live camera with a hdd in the car, I just HATE the fact that we have provide a deterrent period, why do assh*les steal cars...this world is nuts....
amen to that! my brother had his 2000 turbo civic si stolen back in jan 2007...stripped to tha core inside and out..it was nutz!! i hate people who steal cars..with a passion!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

I hate people who steal in general, if you find a wallet on the ground it isn't eminant domain, no you cannot take it, YES that is called stealing if you do, bring it to the proper authorities.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Once someone steals my car, I don't want it back. Who knows what they did to it.
I think there are ways to bypass the immobilizer, but you would have to mess with the ECU, which is very time cosuming. The only other ways are to have a copy of the key or have a tow truck.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to be nice.
I found this elderly lady's cards at an ATM once. It had her son's info, so I call him up to return it. The freakn guy gave me an attitude. F U
Old 02-16-2008, 07:16 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have lo-jack with early warning. It let's me know when they take off with it. I am not investing in the heavy artillery. It's a car. If they want it they will take it. I will get another one, or get that one fixed. It's just the nature of man to prey on others. Don't lose sleep over it. Just don't put it on a pedestal and you will be ok. I talk a lot of shit about how much I love my car and I really do. Ilook at it and marvel at the work I did to it all the time. But if they take it, I will get another one. You can't change mankind just because you change cars. Bitches will always be bitches...don't change you. drive your car to work man and enjoy your money spent. Fuck what other people do...do you!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by darksom1
I have lo-jack with early warning. It let's me know when they take off with it. I am not investing in the heavy artillery. It's a car. If they want it they will take it. I will get another one, or get that one fixed. It's just the nature of man to prey on others. Don't lose sleep over it. Just don't put it on a pedestal and you will be ok. I talk a lot of shit about how much I love my car and I really do. Ilook at it and marvel at the work I did to it all the time. But if they take it, I will get another one. You can't change mankind just because you change cars. Bitches will always be bitches...don't change you. drive your car to work man and enjoy your money spent. Fuck what other people do...do you!

I agree. I have LoJack too. LoJack wasn't specifically designed as a deterrent. It was designed to work in conjunction with the regular security device(s) already installed on the vehicle. It's main purpose is for recovery of the vehicle (and apprehension of the thief).

If someone wanted your car bad enough, they could just car jack you at gun point. No car alarm is going to help then. Any car is not worth being shot for. Go ahead, take the damn car. (You'll just have law enforcement converging on your ass in a couple of hours).

For those familiar with LoJack, it's interesting to note that they (LoJack) do NOT put warning stickers/decals on a car that its been installed on.

It would actually make more sense (and safer) for a thief to steal a GM vehicle. At least the thief could see if the vehicle was "OnStar" equipped.

That's the beauty of LoJack... "The element of surprise"
Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

There is pretty much nothing you can do to prevent the theft of your car if they are determined enough. Now, given this qualifier, cops have said a club or some other visible restraining device is the most effective deterrent.

You may not want your vandalized car back after the cops track your car down with lojack.

so the best recommendation is a club, and maybe security device stickers.

Let me say this again, the goal is to have the best deterrent.
I use to always laugh at the use of STICKERS on cars but am now double thinking that position on this issue. Recently my neighborhood had 4 houses broken into in a 20 minute period (about 800 houses in neighborhood so lots of potential targets). The IDIOTS were caught less than a day later when they tried (foolishly) to use one of the credit cards they are "acquired" during their robberies. They were from well out of town and had apparently been doing this for a while. When asked why the selected the houses they did, they said that a lot of the houses in this particular neighborhood had "protected by ADT" (or other similar monitoring service) and none of the houses they did hit had any of those signs (so they knew they had less chance of being caught). What's interesting is that while a lot of houses have the signs, many of them no longer carry the service as this is the first time in about 6 years anything like this has happened here. Seems like signage might be the key here. Anyone know where I can get a "protected by LoJack" sticker?

As far as the original poster's co-worker... Sounds to me like a girlfriend got pissed at him for not leaving his wife and had a friend of hers "take care of things". 46 is prime time for affairs (most guys are 15 or 20 years into a marriage and have a tendency to "wander" at their mid-life crisis). Once you have access to the key, replicating it is probably pretty darn simple. Even the signal the key puts out can be easily replicated by the pros. Heck, maybe he even gave the GF a key a while back and never even bothered to ask for it back when they broke up? Trust me, you can NOT tell if a guy has a GF. I've seen some ugly-butt dudes in their 40's with 20 year old GFs.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:01 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ndabunka
Seems like signage might be the key here. Anyone know where I can get a "protected by LoJack" sticker?
Thieves know Lo-jack is for recovery. So if you ALERT them to you having Lo-jack, then they will begin stripping your car quicker, or worse, tearing it up looking for the unit causing a lot of damage! So if they don't KNOW they are being targeted, then maybe they will wait until it is too late to begin taking your car apart!

Food for thought...
Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The OP version sounds off. Anyways, if it really happened like that maybe his buddy left a copy of the valet key in the glove box unwittingly or wittingly. Who knows the real story with the credit crisis going on and rampant insurance fraud.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
gone in 60 seconds x 2??
Old 02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Sounds awfully like insurance fraud to me. Our cars have immobilzers. Any old locksmith can't just make a copy of the key from a valet key, etc.

Unless the thief had an original key, the car could not have been stolen in the way the OP described.

I would bet that the insurance company is working with police to investigate the owner of the car.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:28 AM
3.2 VTEC

yea, gone in 60 seconds lol
Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Sorry, the guys in Gone in 60 Seconds had bigger fish to fry then our 30+ grand Acuras.

That's the issue with this post, if some guy had the skills to be bypassing the immobilizer on our cars, you would think he would be out stealing S-Classes or Bentleys.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by jokerunm
Sorry, the guys in Gone in 60 Seconds had bigger fish to fry then our 30+ grand Acuras.

That's the issue with this post, if some guy had the skills to be bypassing the immobilizer on our cars, you would think he would be out stealing S-Classes or Bentleys.
well, it's a joke in the 1st place, but what if that guy specializes in stealing hondas/acuras? what if he has a ECU override that he plugs into the car's diagnostics and reprogramms the ECU?

i've also heard about some audis where all they gotta do is get a cutting key to get in (that's a key that is very sharp and strong, when you turn it with force it cuts the pushers inside that adjust to the key and open the door, ofcurce the lock is useless after that but they can always change it after they steal it)...then pop out the instrument cluster...where apperantly audi's ECU is...unplug it and plug their reprogrammed one in and use the cutting key, along with a key that matches their ecu's code to turn the key and start the car...ofcourse it's something i heard and don't know if it will work that easy...but it does make logical sence.

if the guy knows where the tl's ecu is and how to quickly get to it...then that cud be an experienced theif doing a small but quick job.

mabe even someone at the stealership cud have done that...they have access to your vin they have access to anything in your car.

Quick Reply: anyone had their 3g tl stolen?