Anyone had problems with water injestion with a CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004 | 12:13 PM
Advanced

Anyone had problems with water injestion with a CAI?

Ok folks..I searched and came up almost empty on this subject.

Of those of you who have an aftermarket CAI, have any of you had a problems with water injestion?

If so, please provide the brand of CAI and the nature of the injestion.

ie.."went through a puddle and injested water." "Rained really hard and I got water in my intake." "Decided to see if my TL doubles as a submarine and got water in the engine." "Never had a problem rain or shine!" etc.

I am getting a K&N Typhoon and really don't want to install it with the short ram option so let me know about your experiences.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:29 PM
What's a TL?

Well, I am in California, so water is certinaly not a constant issue, but we recently had some really heavy rain, and I had no problems at all...definately avoid the short ram if possible, as gains vs. our "stock CAI" system would be minimal.
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:29 PM
Mile High

its called hydrolocking (when water gets into the engine)

this will cause severe damage

ive done searches on this topic and im prolly gettin AEM CAI and from the posts ive been told not to worry, its overrated, and to not drive fast thru puddles which is easy. If you live in a place where it floods alot i would think twice about it, but if you live in a normal area go for it and you will most likely have no problems
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:38 PM
One on the right for me

although the california rains are not as bad as they are elsewhere in the nation, there have been some pretty decent storms already. i have the K&N and have never had a problem with puddles, standing water, etc. its set up for the cold air, not the short ram.....i think the spash gaurds do a pretty good job...i wouldnt really worry about it.
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crazy88
its called hydrolocking (when water gets into the engine)

this will cause severe damage

ive done searches on this topic and im prolly gettin AEM CAI and from the posts ive been told not to worry, its overrated, and to not drive fast thru puddles which is easy. If you live in a place where it floods alot i would think twice about it, but if you live in a normal area go for it and you will most likely have no problems

I live in Virginia where we get moderate rain in the winter and spring, and rains a little in the hot summers. Thanks for telling me the proper name for it by the way!
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by subinf
although the california rains are not as bad as they are elsewhere in the nation, there have been some pretty decent storms already. i have the K&N and have never had a problem with puddles, standing water, etc. its set up for the cold air, not the short ram.....i think the spash gaurds do a pretty good job...i wouldnt really worry about it.

Thanks for the info. I will be installing my K&N in the cold air configuration.
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:46 PM
Mile High

Originally Posted by mporter410
I live in Virginia where we get moderate rain in the winter and spring, and rains a little in the hot summers. Thanks for telling me the proper name for it by the way!
No prob, I dont know if it snows much where you live but I also read that snow has virtually no effect
Old 12-14-2004 | 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subinf
although the california rains are not as bad as they are elsewhere in the nation, there have been some pretty decent storms already.

You're kidding right?

California, especially the norther part has as much or more rain during four months than many parts of the US gets all year long.

Drive smart and you should not have a problem.
Old 12-14-2004 | 02:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crazy88
No prob, I dont know if it snows much where you live but I also read that snow has virtually no effect
It actually snows quite a bit about 4 times a year here, usually between Jan and Feb. To tell you the truth snow was one of my biggest worries. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-14-2004 | 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Y'all should know that the stock intake on our TLs is NOT a CAI. Don't believe me? Check it out or get a Service Manual and check out the drawings in it. I investigated the thing and discovered this to be the case. Then I opened my Service Manual to the requisite page and it is, in fact, a WAI.
Old 12-15-2004 | 12:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Y'all should know that the stock intake on our TLs is NOT a CAI. Don't believe me? Check it out or get a Service Manual and check out the drawings in it. I investigated the thing and discovered this to be the case. Then I opened my Service Manual to the requisite page and it is, in fact, a WAI.
I think we get it that the TL stock intake is not a CAI. What I am refering to in my original question is to see how many folks have install and AFTERMARKET CAI and had problems with hydrolock.
Old 12-15-2004 | 12:53 PM
Advanced

I bought K&N CAI about 2 months ago for my 04. About two weeks ago was up in the Boston area driving on highways backroads, everything in a hard driving rain that lasted the entire time. Out of curisoity, I unscrewed the CAI at the intake a few minutes after geting the car under cover. Dry as a bone. Don't worry about it.
Old 12-15-2004 | 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I've had the Injen CAI for damn near a year. I drove it spring, summer and fall with it installed. Occasionally in heavy rain (record rains in Oct-Nov around here). No problems. I avoid the deep puddles.
Old 12-15-2004 | 01:43 PM
Car Addict

Never go thru a deep puddle in any car, you can get water in the trans and get lots of wires wet....
Old 12-16-2004 | 07:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott P.
I bought K&N CAI about 2 months ago for my 04. About two weeks ago was up in the Boston area driving on highways backroads, everything in a hard driving rain that lasted the entire time. Out of curisoity, I unscrewed the CAI at the intake a few minutes after geting the car under cover. Dry as a bone. Don't worry about it.

Thanks Scott. This is encouraging news. I take it you did have the Typhoon set up in the cold air configuration?
Old 12-16-2004 | 09:36 AM
Pro

I've used CAI in several of my past cars. Each time I had the system, I added the by pass valve. The by pass valve has helped several times.

Just think of your CAI as a straw in your drink, when you have a pinch/break in the straw it's harder to suck your drink up. The by pass valve acts like a pinch/break in your CAI system.
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:56 AM
Registered Member

To mporter410;

Yes, I know what you were referring to.. I was just adding some comments.
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:05 AM
Instructor

My friend just had a problem with his CAI. About 2 weeks ago here in Jersey we had a ton of rain. He had an AEM CAI on his 2002 Accord. Well, he was driving, hit a puddle and the car just died. Could not start it, nothing. Had the car towed to the mechanic. Turns out his CAI sucked water up into his engine, had to replace all the wires and plugs along with flushing the engine 10 times before it would start. Had about $1,000 worth of damage. He was lucky, could have been much worse. 2 days later he got rid of the accord and bought a 05 altima se-r. Is there such thing as a bypass valve on a CAI that would prevent H20 intake up the CAI??
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:44 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by hondafans
You're kidding right?

California, especially the norther part has as much or more rain during four months than many parts of the US gets all year long.

Drive smart and you should not have a problem.

I should have been specific, sorry. I think the intensity of the storms would have more of an impact that the frequency. I've noticed that the force of the rain is much greater in Tennessee or other southern states than it is in the bay area. Compared to the other northern states california isnt as bad....Regardless....yes if you drive smart its not a problem.
Old 12-16-2004 | 12:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mporter410
Thanks Scott. This is encouraging news. I take it you did have the Typhoon set up in the cold air configuration?
I do yes. I plan to change it to the other configuration for WInter. I figure I will do that change and tire change for winter/summer at the same time every year.
Old 12-17-2004 | 07:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott P.
I do yes. I plan to change it to the other configuration for WInter. I figure I will do that change and tire change for winter/summer at the same time every year.

Have you bothered to measure (or do you know) just how far off of the ground the filter sits while in the cold air configuration?

Thanks