3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone from an RDX to a 3G TL or from a 3G TL to an RDX??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone gone from an RDX to a 3G TL or from a 3G TL to an RDX??

I have a 3G TL w/ Navi and might be moving to an RDX Tech and just looking for user opinions....especially those who have direct experience with both vehicles.

2 major reasons are UTILITY over the TL and SNOW DRIVING over the TL.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have an 04 TL and my Wife has an 08 RDX and love the two cars. the RDX is so much fun to drive. Fast little SUV I can tell you I might get one with Tech and full A-Spec kit.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
RDX burns gas though, just so you know, but i have no first hand experience. Nice little SUV though...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blkaspec
RDX burns gas though, just so you know, but i have no first hand experience. Nice little SUV though...
If you can keep it out of boost it's very good on Gas. But how long do you think that will last Boost is like a Drug.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Anarchy919
If you can keep it out of boost it's very good on Gas. But how long do you think that will last Boost is like a Drug.
exactly, a 4 cylinder w/boost will always be in boost
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Instructor

exactly, a 4 cylinder w/boost will always be in boost
She gets about 320 to 345 to a tank of gas and I get in my TL about 350 to 370 out of a Tank.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Acuras Only in

RDX needs to drink premium as well right ? I thought MDX would be bad on gas but I was a bit surprised to find out that my latest tank was around 23-24 MPG ... but I've been resisting to go WOT on this beast .... TL is very smooth IMO ...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shooter
RDX needs to drink premium as well right ? I thought MDX would be bad on gas but I was a bit surprised to find out that my latest tank was around 23-24 MPG ... but I've been resisting to go WOT on this beast .... TL is very smooth IMO ...
Here we have 87,89 & 91 you can use the cheep stuff but performance will fall off a bit.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by bgillette79
I have a 3G TL w/ Navi and might be moving to an RDX Tech and just looking for user opinions....especially those who have direct experience with both vehicles.

2 major reasons are UTILITY over the TL and SNOW DRIVING over the TL.

Thanks,
Brad
i came from a 07 base RDX to a 07 TL Type-S. the two things i really miss about the RDX is the trunk space and SH-AWD. they both get about the same MPG. in fact from my driving experience they get the same MPG. utility wise it was great. sorry here in Hawaii we dont got snow but we do have alot of rain. and the RDX does really well in wet conditions.

oh and i forgot to add i miss that really huge center console space. you can fit a laptop in there.

ok ok i am showing off. i really miss it.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
i came from a 07 base RDX to a 07 TL Type-S. the two things i really miss about the RDX is the trunk space and SH-AWD. they both get about the same MPG. in fact from my driving experience they get the same MPG. utility wise it was great. sorry here in Hawaii we dont got snow but we do have alot of rain. and the RDX does really well in wet conditions.

oh and i forgot to add i miss that really huge center console space. you can fit a laptop in there.

ok ok i am showing off. i really miss it.
That looks HOT. White is what my Wife has.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i haven't owned one per say, but i've driven quite a few (loaners, etc)...both cars are great. depending on what year 3g tl you're coming from, you get the option of traffic updates (a must for some of us). the rdx's spacious and quite comfortable, and from what i hear, it's faster than a 3g tl-s! lol have fun! good choice none the less!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Performance wise, the RDX is amazing. Nice and fun to drive with, and the Hondata reflash makes it even better. However, one thing you will miss going from the TL to the RDX is the interior. NO offense to the RDX owners, but the interior is pretty to sum it up. A lot of it feels cheap, the design isn't that appealing and a lot of the ergonomics are pretty odd. Also if you have passengers in the back, the lack of air vents blows, esp on such an expensive car.

The SH-AWD isn't much of an improvement in the rain, good tires on the TL will be better than the combo of SH-AWD and OEM tires in the rain. I can spin the wheels in my MDX much more easily in the rain with SHAWD and the 30% power loss through SH-AWD than in my TL with good A/S tires on it.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Performance wise, the RDX is amazing. Nice and fun to drive with, and the Hondata reflash makes it even better. However, one thing you will miss going from the TL to the RDX is the interior. NO offense to the RDX owners, but the interior is pretty to sum it up. A lot of it feels cheap, the design isn't that appealing and a lot of the ergonomics are pretty odd. Also if you have passengers in the back, the lack of air vents blows, esp on such an expensive car.

The SH-AWD isn't much of an improvement in the rain, good tires on the TL will be better than the combo of SH-AWD and OEM tires in the rain. I can spin the wheels in my MDX much more easily in the rain with SHAWD and the 30% power loss through SH-AWD than in my TL with good A/S tires on it.
i actually really liked the interior of the RDX. and the lack of AC vents in the back wasnt that big of a deal. i had all of my windows tinted and the back always got really cold. too cold in fact and this is in Hawaii weather. i felt much better taking wet corners in the RDX than my Type-S.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Full of water...

She gets about 320 to 345 to a tank of gas and I get in my TL about 350 to 370 out of a Tank.

and how big was the tank?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by shooter
thats not horrible for that size vehicle.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Instructor

and how big was the tank?
Her RDX is 18gal and my TL is 17gal.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Full of water...

Her RDX is 18gal and my TL is 17gal.
ok, cus if it was like 30gal then it wouldnt be that close in comparison. thanks for the info!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Racer

Well 30-40 mile difference really is only about 2 gallons of gas...not bad at all.

I'm going to do a 2 hour test drive of an RDX Wednesday....I'll drive it hard for a bit and see what the trip says......I'll drive normal, and then easy and see what happens to the numbers.

IF I can average 20mpg with my NORMAL driving I'll be happy.

BUT I would miss my 29-30mpg on LONG HIGHWAY trips.

Could a person (or do people) in an RDX that maintains 75mph on generally flat ground achieve something close to that 24mpg highway rating?

In my TL doing 75mph with cruise on I can get right around 30mpg every single time!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Intermediate

The RDX is cute. My boss lets me drive his RDX around to do errands for him but I rather take my Type S over the RDX. For me, driving any SUV I feel like Imma roll the damn thing. Just .
Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 AM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a got to drive 1 of my freinds rdx before i gotta say teh TL does feel faster and more stable, but the car is so smooth over bumps, like a lexus, the tl feels like a rally car, all the bumps going threw my spine lol.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by lucasprime
The RDX is cute. My boss lets me drive his RDX around to do errands for him but I rather take my Type S over the RDX. For me, driving any SUV I feel like Imma roll the damn thing. Just .

Trust me you'll have a hard time rollin the RDX... chassis is stiff as heck. add the SH-AWD and you can take take the twisties with some serious speed.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Racer

I'm back from my extended test drive of an 09 RDX with Tech.

I put 52 miles on it and drove it EXACTLY how I drive my 07 TL. I took it on the same side streets, country roads, and highways.

During the 52 miles I drove it easy, average, and HARD so I could get a feel for everything it had to offer. When I drove it easy the turbo didn't engage and it was very comfortable. I have no complaints about stop and go city driving as long as you drive it easy/normal. If you get on it from stop to stop the TL has a slight advantage in comfort, but not much.

Average driving and hard driving turbo engaged and it was fun..really fun. When I really want to pass someone or even get on it from a dead stop the RDX MOVES! Honestly...TL vs RDX. I'd say this was EQUAL. I was going about 50mph on the highway behind some "moron" and I said enough of this. IN DRIVE, no sport, no paddles just put the hammer down and 50-85mph was quick, fun and had honestly no noticeable turbo lag. I'm sure Sport Mode and using the paddles would have been even MORE fun!

As far as the RIDE quality, to me the RDX is very close to the TL. The TL to me gets a 8.5 out of 10 for ride quality/comfort. The RDX gets a 7.5-8....which surprised me in a GREAT way since I was expecting it to be more like a 6 out of 10. I think it really handled the AWFUL Cleveland roads very well!

Handling is where the RDX is leaps and bounds above the TL. My TL honestly feels front heavy compared to the RDX. The RDX feels much more balanced on turns and even in a straight line. The TL feels PULLED forward, while the RDX feels equally pulled and pushed, which to me equaled great balance. Going around on ramp and off ramp turns both average and aggressive the TL just feels nose heavy even though it handles great and I would never complain about how the TL handles! BUT that being said....The RDX seemed more gripped and had very very little body roll and didn't give me once sense of being nose heavy. Especially during aggressive turns!

I didn't mind not having the Touch Screen Navi....to me the Dial system in the RDX was easy to use. The audio system (tech version) was also very strong. I think the position of the tweeters on the door and midrange speakers in the back give it a notch up on the TLs ELS system. Subwoofer performance was good, not great....but I'm a guy who about 7 years ago used to have a 10inch JL subwoofer in the back of his 94 cutlass (not a HUGE system but I like quality bass.) To most the Sub in an Acura is a major step up!

Utility...I brought the RDX home, and folded the seats down and tried to fit my 26inch mountain bike in it. I couldn't with both wheels on. So I took off the front wheel and at an angle was able to fit my bike in laying it down. Good enough for me! (If I get the RDX I'll proabably get a hiddden hitch and bike rack for the back anyways to make it even easier!) With the seats folded I estimate i could fit about 12 bags of mulch stacked on top of each other pretty easy. That is nearly a cubic yard of mulch! Again...a good sign of usable utility over my TL! Another RDX positive.

Ok...FUEL CONSUMPTION. A big ticket item. On a scale of 0-10, 0 being GRANDMA DRIVER, and 10 being someon who floors it everywhere he goes...I would consider myself about a 6-6.5 on average. I do like my speed sometimes (getting on the highway, passing people on HW and country roads), but around the city I'm very normal and do try to drive to get the best MPG I can. All that being said the TRIP COMPUTER said I averaged 22.9mpg for the whole 52miles of combined HW, City, and Country road driving. To me that was very good. Even if the comptuer is HIGH by 2mpg, I still got 20mpg average. I think very good for an SUV. On about a 10mile strech of highway driving I rest trip B and got about 25mpg HW, again probably more like 23mpg, not bad!

OK OK...I ranted and raved about the RDX. I do LOVE it and I honestly want one TODAY.

But even on the 09 there are some features that were not there that I want.

1. AUTO ON/OFF headlights. Seriously how is this missing from ANY Acura.
2. Aux iPod connection INSIDE the center console like my TL has.
3. Trunk Release BUTTON on the Key Fob.
4. I really missed the AUTO windows down when you hold the unlock button on the key fob. I used that so much in the summer when walking to my TL. Even the extra Min they are open before I get there really cools the car off!

These were the 4 things that to me I wish the RDX had! I will have one by Fall/Winter, but I am going to hold off for now to see what the 2010 looks like officially, and what options/features they add. But be sure of this...AT LEAST by the time the snow starts falling in Cleveland this guy will be driving either an 09 or a 10 RDX.

I love the Pollished Metal Color and Black Leather...that is by far my #1 choice!

(If I think of more I want to add to this review, I'll do so tonight after I have more time to think about the test drive!)
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
I own both these cars (04tl and 07 RDX)
Heres my quick take ...
Interior...I dont know what one of the other posters is talking about ...I love the RDX interior and like it even better than my TL. The seats are some of the best I have ever felt in any vehicle...they hug you.

Speed--0-60...My TL has a slight advantage because its a manual...but by a very small margin. The RDX MOVES...

Handling...RDX by a very wide margin. No comparison.
Looks..TL...the 3G tl is a classic, timeless design. The RDX looks cool too in the right color but not as cool as the TL.

Gas mileage...wife gets like 22MPG consistently highway/city driving. TL about 23mpg...

RDX IMO is much more fun to drive and a better more practical car overall. If it werent for the fact that it only comes in automatic I would own my very own (the one we have is my wifes)
Hope this helps...
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Racer

The one thing the TL has over the RDX in a major way would be the way the front end looks at you.

To me, my 07TL looks mean, aggressive and FAST. (I hate the new 09 TL front end with a PASSION...I hate it so much I would rather have my 07TL than a new TL even with SH-AWD).

The RDX from the front does look a little awkward, but from the side looking at the front it looks aggressive and fast too. But overall the nod goes to the TL as far as front end looks.

From the Side, and Rear I'm a big fan of both the RDX and TL and it is even in my book for styling.

SO...will the new BUCK TOOTH grill HURT or IMPROVE the front end look of the RDX....Only time will tell.

But in my eyes the BUCK TOOTH grill DESTROYS the appeal of the new TL when viewing it from the front at any angle!

I hope the TL fans know that I really do love my TL. It really is a great car...but the SH-AWD really does take the cake!

One more thing...I 100% agree that the RDX really does depend on the color. Two me Pollished Metal and the Light Silver are the two best when viewed from the front. Even the Greigo isn't bad. Blue to me looks the worst!

Last edited by bgillette79; 05-28-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by bgillette79
I'm back from my extended test drive of an [URL="https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726534&page=2#"]Ok...FUEL CONSUMPTION. A big ticket item. On a scale of 0-10, 0 being GRANDMA DRIVER, and 10 being someon who floors it everywhere he goes...I would consider myself about a 6-6.5 on average. I do like my speed sometimes (getting on the highway, passing people on HW and country roads), but around the city I'm very normal and do try to drive to get the best MPG I can. All that being said the TRIP COMPUTER said I averaged 22.9mpg for the whole 52miles of combined HW, City, and Country road driving. To me that was very good. Even if the comptuer is HIGH by 2mpg, I still got 20mpg average. I think very good for an SUV. On about a 10mile strech of highway driving I rest trip B and got about 25mpg HW, again probably more like 23mpg, not bad!

(If I think of more I want to add to this review, I'll do so tonight after I have more time to think about the test drive!)
Wow ... I constantly stay between 65-75 on HWY & no rabbit-running on local and I can get around 22-23 MPG on my MDX ... so I'm happy with the number for sure ...