3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Get the Body Moulding

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the value of the BSM and any other accessories are in the eyes of the owner. Some like it, some hate it. People have a right to their own opinion and style. At least this gives variations to the many TLs on the road since there are only so many things you can do to separate you from the other cars. I live in NYC and I think it's worth every cent. But hey, it's my car. I didn't buy it for anyone else except me and my family.

Another thing, dings are accidents. I don't think they are intentional unless someone was pissed off. In that case, there's nothing you can do regardless of BSM or not.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Hell hath no furry like a TL owner dinged

Originally Posted by Furio
I don't see too many pics ofthe car with the moulding. I think it looks good and I am getting a set. They should protect my car from the morons out in the parking lot.
I passed on the BSMs. For esthetic reasons and also because I thought the protection they offered was quite limited. They are flat and low vs. the belt line.

I am very careful where I park. I know I am delaying the eventual dings that will come. My car is so new (600 miles) and I am so paranoid, I take pictures of cars parked near mine with my Moto V600 just in case I have damage when I return. I have a record of who was there so at least I can chase someone down and put fleas in their underwear or something equally vengeful.

XP
Old 06-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shaggy
Also, a warning regarding the Acura Door Edge Trims --> in order to install them, they have to gouge the black silicone insulation stripping along the inside of the door edge. Easy to screw up! My dealer did so and had to redo that insulation when I had them removed.....Not an easy job to do! Installing them can also easily damage your paint if not done properly.

I agree with DMZ, I installed the door edge trim myself and kinda screwed one of the doors. You have to be careful.
Not sure what you guys are talking about. I put them on myself. I didn't have to gouge out any silicone insulation. They are only about 1/8th " deep. They just slipped on after being shaped.

Explain, pls.

XP
Old 06-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by leeherman
BTW, I found out that the wheel lip moldings are discontinued,
(Praise gawd for little favors!)

Don't pay any attention to BJ. He's a Stripe Hater, too.

XP
:spankme:
me bj
Old 06-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by silversmith
The night before I bought my TL, I parked next to one with door dings, which clouded my judgment. I went for the BSMs. When I look at my car I can't help thinking it just doesn't look quite right.

Is there any way to remove these things without damaging the paint?
They come off really easy. I had to have mine removed several times. The front ones came off because I wanted door edge guards, so they took them off and put new ones on. Then they had to take the rear ones off last week because the guy who put them put them too close to the edge and they squeaked on the front door molding when you opened the back door. And Acura paid for all of this as a goodwill gesture because I complained so much about the EL-42s.

I watched the guy do it, and he took them off so carefully that they could be used again, so I am going to save them in case something happens to one of my moldings.

The shop guy took a flat plastic tool, but a credit card will work just as well, and put it under the front edge to get it started. Then he carefully started peeling back, being careful not to pull too far out or you will crease the molding. Of course, you would have to get new adhesive to put the molding back on, but that's cheaper than buying moldings.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The night before I bought my TL, I parked next to one with door dings, which clouded my judgment. I went for the BSMs. When I look at my car I can't help thinking it just doesn't look quite right.

Is there any way to remove these things without damaging the paint?
Whatever the cost, I will pay it. Give me your PayPal address and I will make it happen.

Bless you silversmith. Bless you.

BJ
Old 06-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by HTownTL

WOW, those BSM's really enhance the look of your car! Good move on getting them, the car looks naked without it....
Old 06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
WOW, those BSM's really enhance the look of your car! Good move on getting them, the car looks naked without it....
Those BSM's are so ugly that I didn't even notice the ugly nose mask the first time. Ugh. Puffy lumpers and a hood skirt. Puke.

BJ
Old 06-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Still naked

Originally Posted by boltjames
Those BSM's are so ugly that I didn't even notice the ugly nose mask the first time. Ugh. Puffy lumpers and a hood skirt. Puke.

BJ
What? No pinstipes? :P

XP (ROFL)
Old 06-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Racer

BJ

Its ok, everyone cant have good taste!
Old 06-24-2004, 08:50 PM
4th Gear

Whatever the cost, I will pay it. Give me your PayPal address and I will make it happen.

Bless you silversmith. Bless you.

BJ
Could you throw in a set of Michellin Pilot Sports and some epoxy?
Thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Could you throw in a set of Michellin Pilot Sports and some epoxy?
Thanks
Tell me what other add-on's you've got on the car. I'll pay you to remove each.

BJ
Old 06-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

I bought the TL as is comes with every options. :fingerfawk: :fingerfawk:
Old 06-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by HTownTL
I bought the TL as is comes with every options. :fingerfawk: :fingerfawk:
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Since the TL comes fully loaded with every necessary option, it stands to reason that the BSM's are not necessary, not important, and not what Acura envisioned for the car.

Some grumpy old pre-retirement Honda executive must have transfered over to Acura and helped 'design' those puffy lumpers and forced them into the accessory booklet against terrific oppostion from the design team. No other explanation.

BJ
Old 06-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Racer

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Since the TL comes fully loaded with every necessary option, it stands to reason that the BSM's are not necessary, not important, and not what Acura envisioned for the car.

Some grumpy old pre-retirement Honda executive must have transfered over to Acura and helped 'design' those puffy lumpers and forced them into the accessory booklet against terrific oppostion from the design team. No other explanation.

BJ

And thats what makes our cars (with BSM's) look better than yourS!!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

And thats what makes our cars (with BSM's) look better than yourS!!
Are you in the puffy lumpers for the function or the look? Either way, you're confused with the logic:

The Look: They're ugly and out of sync with the car. The car is chisled and hard edged. The puffers are puffy and rounded. Must have been designed for another car. A 1986 Ford Tempo perhaps?

The Function: They're useless! Look at where they're located. Unless you park next to go-karts and tricycles, 99% of passenger cars and SUV's are going to make contact with the doors anyway! Look at where they're located. The upper parts of the doors extend over them for Chrissakes.

You must be a clown. Seriously. It's the only explanation. You work at an amusement park and don't care what your car looks like as long as those damned midgets don't hit you with their scooters and those damned 4th graders don't hit you with their 10-speeds. Am I right?

BJ
Old 06-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Racer

[QUOTE= Am I right?

BJ[/QUOTE]

No actually your absolutely wrong, but good question!! Its actually good that you think this way, and do not see things as a "normal person" would. If you like the plain shitty look without the BSM thats your problem. I have actually gotten like 2 compliments just for my BSM's.....If it did not stand out and look nice, WHO DA HELL WOULD NOTICE SOMETHING LIKE THAT??

Oh and be careful when you drive your TL, its kinda hard driven when your BLIND!!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

I have actually gotten like 2 compliments just for my BSM's.....If it did not stand out and look nice, WHO DA HELL WOULD NOTICE SOMETHING LIKE THAT??
You sure those two people who 'complimented' you weren't smirking? You know "nice mouldings you got there (cough) really nice (cough) you go girl (he he)" or something like that?

BJ
Old 06-25-2004, 09:38 AM
Racer

You sure those two people who 'complimented' you weren't smirking? You know "nice mouldings you got there (cough) really nice (cough) you go girl (he he)" or something like that?

BJ

100% positive, they actually had good taste unlike some people! :P
Old 06-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

100% positive, they actually had good taste unlike some people! :P
You should see my Rolex Submariner! Was worried that I'd scratch it and it looked sort of plain, so I modded the oyster bracelet and put on gummy padded dots. They're black vinyl rounded gummy bumps every few millimeters. They just stick on. It's really nice! My executive friends compliment me on it all the time!

BJ
Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Racer

You should see my Rolex Submariner! Was worried that I'd scratch it and it looked sort of plain, so I modded the oyster bracelet and put on gummy padded dots. They're black vinyl rounded gummy bumps every few millimeters. They just stick on. It's really nice! My executive friends compliment me on it all the time!

BJ

Explains your outta this world taste!