3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Snubbed By Gen 2 TL Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Else Snubbed By Gen 2 TL Drivers?

I find it sort of humorous (but also a bit disturbing) that the only drivers on the road who completely ignore my '04 TL are the '03-and-older TL drivers.

I've been stopped / followed / stalked / gawked-at by drivers of BMW's, Benz's, Lexus', Infinities, Honda's.....you name it. From lawyers to police officers, I get at least two peeks a day from drivers of these autos who apprecate the new TL......with one notable exception......

I see more Gen 2 TL's on the road than any other car I can think of. Maybe it's my Acura-sense that does it, and I know there are statistically more BMW-3's out there, but I see tons of older TL's. Well, in the 2+ months I've owned the car not a single one has even glanced at the vehicle. After a few weeks of this behavior, I tried to force them to look. I speed up to their side while on the highway. If they're behind me, I slow down. I park next to them at the supermarket and wait for them to come out with their groceries to at least give a glance. Still nothing. Anyone else getting the same treatment?

Short of crashing into one, anyone have advice as to how to get their attention? I don't need it that badly, but it is annoying me more than body side moldings and debadging.

TIA

BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Racer

Why does it matter so much to you?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Who cares?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Acura Lover!

I have a 2002 TL-S and I always pull up next to a 04 TL, take a long look, beep my horn once or twice and then give the driver a "Thumbs Up!" Maybe it's because I love the new car so much..., I'm going to get a 05 TL as soon as it comes out. Trading In my 2002. Good luck with your car!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames
I find it sort of humorous (but also a bit disturbing) that the only drivers on the road who completely ignore my '04 TL are the '03-and-older TL drivers.
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion...
Old 05-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

boltjames,

You're probably the only TL owner who has been stopped / followed / stalked / gawked-at by drivers of BMW's, Benz's, Lexus', Infinities, Honda's.....you name it. From lawyers to police officers.

I've had one comment in 4 months by a guy at a gas station who said "nice BMW", it made me laugh after all from the side it does look like one. Who cares if people look, is the car a status symbol for you?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Advanced

I echo the others, who cares? They are probably just steamed that they didn't wait another year or two to buy.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Norse396
boltjames,

You're probably the only TL owner who has been stopped / followed / stalked / gawked-at by drivers of BMW's, Benz's, Lexus', Infinities, Honda's.....you name it. From lawyers to police officers.

I've had one comment in 4 months by a guy at a gas station who said "nice BMW", it made me laugh after all from the side it does look like one. Who cares if people look, is the car a status symbol for you?
Ah, what would a day be like without the cheerful, upbeat, humourous, and optimistic Norse paying us a visit. The only answer I have for the lack of attention your car is getting is that the black cloud that hangs over your head has followed your poor car too.

BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

As a general rule, my experience is that other people don't really pay attention to it. After all, it's only an Acura. If it was a Ferrari or a Hummer, then I would expect more attention. But for a dark blue sedan, you can't expect much.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get second generation TL's coming fast up behind me and than cut me off.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by doogles
They are probably just steamed that they didn't wait another year or two to buy.

I'd be pissed too. For a while, anyway. Until I came here and heard about droopy headliners.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I own a 2k and an 04. I'm still driving the 2k for another month until the lease company takes it back and always acknowledge other 04's, although I don't see too many. But get this: the other day I was out in the 04 and an elderly couple in a 1ST generation TL pulled up beside me and gave me the once-over!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Ah, what would a day be like without the cheerful, upbeat, humourous, and optimistic Norse paying us a visit. The only answer I have for the lack of attention your car is getting is that the black cloud that hangs over your head has followed your poor car too.
My car gets the normal attention a car like this gets, the difference between us is you expect it. Try not to get into an accident while looking everywhere to see who might be looking at your car in an approving manner....
Old 05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I park next to them at the supermarket and wait for them to come out with their groceries to at least give a glance.
I bet when they do glance over, it isn't the car they are wondering about....

Edit, yes this was a trolling response to his post, I admit it, and feel his remark deserved it, flame on... :tflamer:
Old 05-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Question

From lawyers to police officers
I'm not understanding how you know that they were lawyers... I can see how a police officer would be obvious (the black and white along with a light bar kinda gives the civic duty away), but I don't see how seeing someone in a car you can determine what they do for a living....
Old 05-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Smiling Papa Team NBP

Heck, I am too busy staring at my beautiful Navi screen to notice anyone gawking at my TL...one more reason to get the Navi!
Old 05-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Racer

I've been stopped / followed / stalked / gawked-at by drivers of BMW's, Benz's, Lexus', Infinities, Honda's.....you name it. From lawyers to police officers, I get at least two peeks a day from drivers of these autos who apprecate the new TL......with one notable exception......

I see more Gen 2 TL's on the road than any other car I can think of. Maybe it's my Acura-sense that does it, and I know there are statistically more BMW-3's out there, but I see tons of older TL's. Well, in the 2+ months I've owned the car not a single one has even glanced at the vehicle. After a few weeks of this behavior, I tried to force them to look. I speed up to their side while on the highway. If they're behind me, I slow down. I park next to them at the supermarket and wait for them to come out with their groceries to at least give a glance. Still nothing. Anyone else getting the same treatment?

Short of crashing into one, anyone have advice as to how to get their attention? I don't need it that badly, but it is annoying me more than body side moldings and debadging.

TIA

BJ

I haven't really gotten much notice, but then I'm not looking except the other day I saw a new TL in the grocery parking lot. I waved at the guy and he looked right thru me. Oh well.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sarcasm is wasted on the masses.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLGator
Tell me about it. Some of my best material hasn't even gotten a "he he he" let alone an animated smiley.

No one seems to like my "conversations" with my navi. Really creative stuff, but very little response. I'll work on it.

BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Conversations with your Navi? Sounds hilarious, but I haven't seen those threads. Are the mods moving them somewhere else?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Team Anthracite Member

From day one, I've been getting attention because of the tl. Chicks on the highway, dudes in the bmw's, benz, etc.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Banned

Tell me about it. Some of my best material hasn't even gotten a "he he he" let alone an animated smiley.

No one seems to like my "conversations" with my navi. Really creative stuff, but very little response. I'll work on it.

BJ
maybe because your an idiot? :think:
Old 05-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nking54580
From day one, I've been getting attention because of the tl. Chicks on the highway, dudes in the bmw's, benz, etc.
yea, i do that in my sleep too.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

You gave him an out.... :bowdown:
Old 05-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by AcuraTLS03
There's little doubt that I'm an idiot, but at least I can spell "you're" properly in a sentence that's designed to elicit an emotional response in which my every word is going to be picked apart by vultures.

You bought a 2003 TL. Outdated about three months after you drove it home so proudly. Sorry about that. You had a choice. Not my fault you made the wrong won.

BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

:lol1: :lol1:
Old 05-11-2004, 04:43 PM
04 remembrance

boltjames,

It shares very little resemblance yet people continue to confuse the two cars -_-
Old 05-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

It shares very little resemblance yet people continue to confuse the two cars
Agreed, but looking at it from his angle I could see how he thought BMW. At least he didn't say "nice Sonata" or something like that....
Old 05-11-2004, 07:43 PM
From the Desert 2 the sea

Back to business men!

Strange I seem to notice that other '04 tl owners have no connection with each other and I have never been flashed or thumbs upped.
I wonder if anyone shows any affinity towards each other here in Southern California on the car scene.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Radcliffe1
Strange I seem to notice that other '04 tl owners have no connection with each other and I have never been flashed or thumbs upped.
I wonder if anyone shows any affinity towards each other here in Southern California on the car scene.
I'm finding that most of the '03 and older TL drivers are old women and maybe that's why they don't like my 'flashy' car. BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

:lol2: he said flashy. damn, your such a fucking tool. maybe they dont say shit to you because they can see your so full of yourself.

oh and just fyi, everytime i see a new TL around here, it turns out to be an old person.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Agreed, but looking at it from his angle I could see how he thought BMW. At least he didn't say "nice Sonata" or something like that....
:lol2:
Old 05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Radcliffe1
To my amazement I'm still not seeing '04 TLs in my area, even though this is supposedly a hot spot for Acura sales. Second-gen TLs are frickin EVERYWHERE, and you're right BJ, they seem almost annoyed as I pass them. But where are all the '04s? Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy to be unique. I just feel like any day the bomb is gonna drop and they'll be friggin everywhere. Like the summer locusts that are coming to this area this year. Yeeeeesh.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

:lol2: he said flashy. damn, your such a fucking tool. maybe they dont say shit to you because they can see your so full of yourself.
Quick! Go buy an '04 RL! Don't want to look good next year either now do ya? Might as well go into the "Last Year's Old News Acura Hall Of Fame" on roller skates.

How does it feel to own a 10 month old car that everyone believes is 10 years old? Must suck, right!

BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLGator
To my amazement I'm still not seeing '04 TLs in my area, even though this is supposedly a hot spot for Acura sales. Second-gen TLs are frickin EVERYWHERE, and you're right BJ, they seem almost annoyed as I pass them. But where are all the '04s? Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy to be unique. I just feel like any day the bomb is gonna drop and they'll be friggin everywhere. Like the summer locusts that are coming to this area this year. Yeeeeesh.
I really like driving such a rare and exotic car. Yeah, next year we'll be seeing so many of them it'll be like Camryville and F150land every day. But the good news is that we're only 5 years away from getting that '03 TL off the road for good. It's giving all of us a bad name.

BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

Just curious. Which neighborhood do you usually drive around?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:08 PM

TIA

BJ
Imaginary World he lives in....
Old 05-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Advanced

I think they only made 40,000 of them,so 50 states = 800 TL's per state,So I dont think your going to be seeing them like you would a chevy truck..well at least for another year,on the hummer's,I live in a small town and theirs at least 50 of them in town..what a wise choice when gas is 2.35 per gal.. :smackhead
Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Instructor

And people call BMW owners cocky pricks.....

You drive a 04 TL, not a ferrari. Get over yourself :thefinger
Old 05-12-2004, 03:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

OMG..that doesnt make any sence.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Snubbed By Gen 2 TL Drivers?