3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else park FARTHER away than necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Acuras Only in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
used to ... but after couple of damages, I gave up 'cuz there are always reckless ppl/drivers regardless how careful you are ...
Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
When my sisters family members ride in my car, the next week or so I have little Great Dane hairs allover. I hate it. They have 8 of those giant dogs. I like them, but not the hairs in my CAR!

No animals allowed - ever.........that goes for relatives too.... LOL
Old 05-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Pro

I always avoid parking next to coupes with wide swinging doors? If dogs want to ride my car, they have to put on socks and a trench coat.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 PM
10th Gear

I do - I always park away from everyone - especially if you are going shopping -- buggies, etc.

If I am at work, I park up on the last floor - where no one parks, and/or I find an empty spot to park, alone. It's funny because there's this TL that think its cute to park next to me, so we kinda got our own spot, now.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SteveP66
No animals allowed - ever.........that goes for relatives too.... LOL
WOW, your relatives = animals???
Old 05-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by kenny5
joking......lol
Old 05-11-2007, 08:53 PM
10th Gear

I also park far away from everyone and try to find end spaces to protect at least one side of the car. Before this car I had a 97 Sunfire which I didn't care about and just parked where ever. My wife drives a 04 Corolla and always wanted me to park far away when we were in her car, which I didn't really get. Now that I have the TL, I park far enough away that even she makes fun of me!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
Hey now, he's from Rhode Island, not Blacksburg, VA.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Acura Vet

I park in the back of the lot in no man's land and I think that it is just necessary. There is another guy that works in my office and he just bought an e-class so he parks in the back where i do and we make sure that there is usually at least one parking space between us. When our company's owner comes to visit (in his 07 Z06) he parks back there with us. You gotta do what you gotta do. Oh, and if my dog absolutely HAS to ride in the car to get groomed, or go to the vet he sits on the floor.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:13 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alphason'sac
Oh, and if my dog absolutely HAS to ride in the car to get groomed, or go to the vet he sits on the floor.
If I had a dog, he would run on the side like Secret Service!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FSU-Acura
Hey all,

I went to lunch with some guys from work today, and I volunteered to drive. Everyone was cool with the idea until I told them where I park. I park on the 5th floor of the parking garage where very few cars are located and in an end spot so there is less chance of door dings.

They all thought it was a little ridiculous that I will park way out of my way to ensure that car has less of a chance to get dinged up....

Does anyone else do this???
My motto is "park as close to home as possible to avoid problems". I park in the north 40 at work and when going out for lunch. When I have passengers I will pickup and drop off at the door. They appreciate it and I tell them in advance I park far away. I've yet had anyone complain where I park when I pick them up at the door.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

yup parking far away next to other nice cars is always a good idea... and try to face away from the sun, so theres no chance of burning up or your radar f'n up... and endspots... and somtimes i take the endspots and then half of the one next to me so no care will be even close to me even if they tried...

little thing i've done, but don't think you can do it anywhere, but home depot doesnt mind
Old 05-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
If I had a dog, he would run on the side like Secret Service!
Like Tom Hanks in Hooch!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:33 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by buhhbuhh
yup parking far away next to other nice cars is always a good idea... and try to face away from the sun, so theres no chance of burning up or your radar f'n up... and endspots... and somtimes i take the endspots and then half of the one next to me so no care will be even close to me even if they tried...

little thing i've done, but don't think you can do it anywhere, but home depot doesnt mind
You guys better be careful about the taking up two spots thing! True story:

A guy I know went to the Mall, into the parking garage. He was looking for a space close by the door. He couldn't find one, but noticed a car taking up 1.5 spaces nearby the entrance to the mall. He was pissed! By the time he found a parking space, it was damn near at the end of one of the aisles, far from the entrance! But he had to park there anyway.

So what did he do? As he walked to the entrance, he manuevered over to where the double parked car was and slowly walked beside it keying the car! I was shocked like hell and told him I would stomp his ass if that were me and I walked up on him doing that! I told him one of us would be getting up off the ground no matter what! Unreal!

So yeah, I would rather park farther away than to park close and incite the wrath of someone else unwilling to walk by taking up two spaces.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:57 AM
Cruisin'

I do it... its good for you
Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 AM
What's VTEC?

I ALWAYS park far away from other cars whenever I park, especially in ghetto areas or at the asian supermarkets (No offense to the asians who are oblivious to their surroundings and cannot drive ) I also try to park my car in a spot that is toward the end, so that way only one side is vulnerable to a parking car. Its not necessary to park far away, but it is up to the owners judgement to determine if he/she needs to. Parking is basically common sense and whether or not you care about your car
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in an appartment with few parking spots, there is always an Avalon that is parked sideways taking up two and 1/3rd spots. Every time I dive through I see the Avalon and it really anoys me. I would never go and key the car, but I have thought about parking my van in the 1/3rd spot so it boxes him in and he cannot get his car out, again I would never do it. I go for weeks without driving the van. But again I am not wanting to make anyones life more stressful, even if they are thoughtless. I guess I am just seeing if anyone else has felt like that, obviously they would never do anything, but it just bothers you when people have no regard for the parking problems around them. Then I think, if I feel that way other people who would be willing to damage other peoples stuff probably feel the same. Thats why I only ever take one spot.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

I also part far away, also sometime I take 2 parking spots
Old 05-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Nobody's Hero

I always park as far away as possible. My body shop man tell me he has more business from parking lot damage than on road accidents.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Even when I was younger and I parked next to nice cars in my POS, I was always cognizant of the fact that if I had a nice car, I wouldnt' want somebody to park close to me and ding up my car. Now that I have a nice car, I don't even give anyone the opportunity to park next to me. At any store, I drop the wife off at the door and I park at the opposite end of the parking lot. I've even put the fear of god into her. Whenever she took my car to work, she would park in the farthest part of the complex right next to the helipad. Now, she's so nervous driving it, that she refuses to take it anywhere.

Originally Posted by onsknth
Now Harley fuk races up behind me and flies the bird.... I checked the brakes, they work real good!

I don't get it, but damn I almost got dipchit to lay the bike down, with his bird flying and all his eyes bugged out when he saw the TL's LEDs and the Acura "A" get real close... He grabbbed hard and the bike wobbled a bit! Woulda loved to see that "A" imprinted on his noggin!
Don't do that, regardless of what he was doing. Bikes don't come with air bags.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 AM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

if I can I park far away from other vehicles... however, once in a great while some junker with big doors parks next to me way out there and one of those times I got dinged

I also lived next to a neighbor with a POS car and dinged my driver's side door...which had been absolutely perfect for the first 2 years I had my car... Can't ever prove exactly if it was her or a visitor's car (both were white).

oh...and no dogs in my car... any other critter has to go in a carrier... with a big blanket underneath it.... My cat has learned to deal with it...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I just remembered something else I do when trying to park far from other cars. When I am forced to park next to cars, I try to park on their passenger side. Just in case it's only a driver in there. I also avoid vans, pickup trucks, and POS cars or cars that look like kids are in them! LOL! I get real anal about this stuff, but it works for me!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AutoGirl
oh...and no dogs in my car... any other critter has to go in a carrier... with a big blanket underneath it.... My cat has learned to deal with it...
How am I suppose to tell this guy he can't sit shotgun with me???
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darksom1
You guys better be careful about the taking up two spots thing! True story:

A guy I know went to the Mall, into the parking garage. He was looking for a space close by the door. He couldn't find one, but noticed a car taking up 1.5 spaces nearby the entrance to the mall. He was pissed! By the time he found a parking space, it was damn near at the end of one of the aisles, far from the entrance! But he had to park there anyway.

So what did he do? As he walked to the entrance, he manuevered over to where the double parked car was and slowly walked beside it keying the car! I was shocked like hell and told him I would stomp his ass if that were me and I walked up on him doing that! I told him one of us would be getting up off the ground no matter what! Unreal!

So yeah, I would rather park farther away than to park close and incite the wrath of someone else unwilling to walk by taking up two spaces.
yea i would never park where others might get pissed, i just park where i know no one parks...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Definitely park in the back 40 ALWAYS..but always in the space, no two spacer.

When I go to the gym a member with a 2003 Mustang GT will park near me sideways at an angle across two spaces. For one the car was not that nice and two I was wondering when he was gonna get "keyed". You see this and it's like "get a clue dude".
Old 05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by maying2001
I ALWAYS park far away from other cars whenever I park, especially in ghetto areas or at the asian supermarkets (No offense to the asians who are oblivious to their surroundings and cannot drive ) I also try to park my car in a spot that is toward the end, so that way only one side is vulnerable to a parking car. Its not necessary to park far away, but it is up to the owners judgement to determine if he/she needs to. Parking is basically common sense and whether or not you care about your car
most asians drive better cars than our TL, especially in areas like Irvine. they dont even consider acura a car brand, what's acura?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 AM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

How am I suppose to tell this guy he can't sit shotgun with me???
awww...that's such a cute face!! I can see your dilemma...

if there was a dog in my life, I just wouldn't have my TL... or I'd have to find something durable to cover the seats...
Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 PM
2007 NBP TL

I park as far as I can when I can.....Been doing it since my 2004 Jetta. Most of my friends think I'm crazy, but they know I can get about my car!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Racer

Parking 101

Some of my handiwork......

Old 05-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Advanced

Very nice onsknth,

Only I don't like to park on the top floor as to avoid sunlight on the paint and dash.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Acura Vet

I park in the very back of our lot , but since it has started getting so hot, I have reluctantly started parking under the trees (NOT PINE) I have not encountered any sap. but I got pooped on yesterday. Thank goodness for MEGUIAR'S Quick Detailer!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
When I go shopping and out to eat and stuff I do try and park far away but at work it's a catch 22. I work in a really winner of a neighborhood. Cars get broken into and have been stolen in broad daylight. It's a pretty bad neighborhood. So if I park close I am near lots of cars but if I park too far away I am worried about something happening to my car as well. I try to park in a happy middle range in a corner spot so there is only one car next to me.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Instructor

As for the cute Boxer in the car try these, it will protect the interior: http://www.seniorpetproducts.com/ind...FRI7ZQodi1mp6Q

I got burned about 10 years ago parking way at the bottom of a supermarket parking lot. Apparently, the special ed kid that was working retrieving the carts lost his grip and about 5 carts built up speed and crashed right into the passenger door of my Mustang GT. They paid for the damage and I felt bad for the kid who apologized profusely and fessed up, but still I was not happy.

I adopt the corner spot idea in the parking garage at work and luckily there are cameras if anything does happen. The top level is always empty, but I like the shade.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Racer

Very nice onsknth,

Only I don't like to park on the top floor as to avoid sunlight on the paint and dash.
Fortunately, I usually take the train to work... In the parking garage at the train station I stay covered up and know the security guards really well (they tease me a lot about coming and going to work too early/late) so they're looking out for me. But this spot today is in The Loop and when I drive down here I need to go to the top deck to find other folks like me... Note the BMW and Audi are both cocked in their spots around me.... The upside is the parking garage is shadowed by skyscrapers so the sun is minimal during the day.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by onsknth
Some of my handiwork......

This is sort of what I was describing in my post about the Total Beverage store earlier in this thread, except that it wasn't in a parking garage and there was grass on either side of the corner space (and I don't engage in back-in parking, never understood the point of that).

but I got pooped on yesterday.
You mean your CAR got shat upon. Better that than what happened to me when walking back from lunch....crossing the street and felt something hit my hair....you guessed it. Thankfully I got a haircut two weeks ago, so it was easy to go in the men's room and wash it out with just water.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:59 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
dam dude, getting poop on ur hair is really bad..whats the odd of that? lmao
Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
and I don't engage in back-in parking, never understood the point of that.

Easier to pull out onto oncoming traffic than backing out and God forbid you break down, its easier for a jump or tow.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Acura Vet

Oh yeah, I should have said that the car got pooped on. Birds stopped crapping on me as soon as I changed my shampoo.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I park far away, but that actually screwed me last time. Door ding + rear ended. The other person's insurance paid for the damage, but I had to get my bumper painted when it was only a month old. It's almost impossible to avoid, especially in cities like NYC.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
i do that too...i just dont like when certain peopletake 2 car spaces for their car...that annoys me

Quick Reply: Anyone else park FARTHER away than necessary?