Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else NOT happy with their TL-S??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeowen
to bad man, I am 1/2 through my lease as well- 18 months, and WILL be purchasing the car in FEB of '11. I have not exp. any of the issues you have mentioned, I just went on an 800 mile road trip, and loved all of it. I enjoyed shifted with the paddles, from 80 down to third through the mountains of WV was FANTASTIC. The paddles work great, they are not DSG, so you can expect a lag, if you want an AUDI with DSG go agead and spend an extra 20G. Remember this is a 35K car, its tough that you have had a bad exp, but if you want more, then go ahead and plan on a 600+ car payment new, or a used German that wont be as near as reliable- good luck
All I can say is that YOU got a "good one". Congrats. My wife and I took a trip from Vegas to Newport Beach (Balboa Island) in California about 1 month ago. We took the TL-S. The TL-S averaged 30mpg on the highway, going between 70-75mph. Around town driving is ALWAYS 18mpg.

The passenger window WOULD NOT roll back up with passenger or driver window switch.......I had to use the KEY in the door lock to roll it up. This happened on our way to California.......and it is still not working. (I will take the car to the dealer next week)

The paddles IMO are useless. They shift too slow and too hard/lurch when trying to use them. No, the car is NOT a dual/clutch or DSG as you mentioned, I know this. But Acura SHOULD be able to make the paddles work a little better IMO..........and not shift/lurch the transmission so hard.

BTW, I drove a VW GTI 4-door that had DSG & the 2.0T motor. That car runs about $27,000 and the transmission in the VW is FAR superior to the transmission in the TL-S. Again, this is my opinion &
Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Originally Posted by ggesq
^ The OP didn't pay 39k for his TL-S. He negotiated it down to 35.5 and his lease payments are around $530.00 ( with I think 0 down)

This is correct! I was able to get the 08 TL-S for just about invoice in Dec 2007. Zero down & $530/mo. for 36 months (10k miles/yr).

However, the MSRP of the car was $38,940. (roughly $39k)

I am trying to convey my point to the "build quality" of the car in relation to the MSRP of the car........which has disappointed me.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VegasRPh
All I can say is that YOU got a "good one". Congrats. My wife and I took a trip from Vegas to Newport Beach (Balboa Island) in California about 1 month ago. We took the TL-S. The TL-S averaged 30mpg on the highway, going between 70-75mph. Around town driving is ALWAYS 18mpg.

The passenger window WOULD NOT roll back up with passenger or driver window switch.......I had to use the KEY in the door lock to roll it up. This happened on our way to California.......and it is still not working. (I will take the car to the dealer next week)

The paddles IMO are useless. They shift too slow and too hard/lurch when trying to use them. No, the car is NOT a dual/clutch or DSG as you mentioned, I know this. But Acura SHOULD be able to make the paddles work a little better IMO..........and not shift/lurch the transmission so hard.

BTW, I drove a VW GTI 4-door that had DSG & the 2.0T motor. That car runs about $27,000 and the transmission in the VW is FAR superior to the transmission in the TL-S. Again, this is my opinion &
Well said, and I completely understand, and to a certain extent agree with the paddles. When you say that the tranny in the VW is FAR superior to the tranny in the TL-S, please explain. Why is it FAR better? Does reliability play a factor in your decision, performance, longevity? just curious man
Old 09-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
39k for a TL? Wow.

Good luck on the issues....
Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasRPh

I am trying to convey my point to the "build quality" of the car in relation to the MSRP of the car........which has disappointed me.
You won't be the first on this forum and certainly won't be the last. Good luck w/ your VW.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
G Force

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Rattles is the only thing I am unhappy with. No issues with leather, brakes, etc. No mechanical issues. I have had the spark knock, but it's either gone (with CAI, TB coolant bypass) or I just can't hear it anymore.

Thinking about enlisting some help this fall for a rattle elimination program though.
Looking forward to your list to fix and eliminate rattles....

All I have are rattle around the driver side window.... other than that, my 07 TL-S is a beast....
Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Originally Posted by jeowen
Well said, and I completely understand, and to a certain extent agree with the paddles. When you say that the tranny in the VW is FAR superior to the tranny in the TL-S, please explain. Why is it FAR better? Does reliability play a factor in your decision, performance, longevity? just curious man

Comparing the transmissions just on a recent test drive. The DSG is a fantastic transmission (similar to the Porsche's PDK trans) it acts like a manual, but its an automatic. You can shift it yourself (paddles or with the shifter) and it changes gears in a millisecond (almost instantly). Honestly, the DSG blew me away with how FUN it was to use the paddles and how QUICK the transmission shifted. Reliability? Hard to say, I don't own a car with DSG.
Performance was superior in the sense that you could "blip" the shifts instantly up/down.......without the Acura's lurch/harsh/delayed shifts. To me, it seems like the paddle-shifters in the TL-S were a sort of "after thought" on Acura's part..........they don't really work well.

Maybe Acura's NEW 6-speed automatic (in the ZDX) will be better & more performance oriented. Not sure, I will have to drive one.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Originally Posted by ggesq
You won't be the first on this forum and certainly won't be the last. Good luck w/ your VW.
I am not buying a VW, just test drove a 4-door GTI with the DSG. Remember, I still have about 18 more months with the TL-S (1/2 way thru my lease).

The VW is a little too small for me......I am 6'5" tall.

I wish the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 was a little bigger........I would buy that car in a HEARTBEAT. For $23,000 that Mazdaspeed 3 is very hard to beat (most car magazines agree as well). Major "bang for the buck" there in that car. What an amazing car for the price.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Honda has only just now created a dual clutch gearbox, and they're going to be putting it into a motorcycle first, so it will be a while before you see a Honda / Acura automobile that has that style of transmission.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...e8217s-a-catch
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the gti does have a good trannybut...........i smoked one with my tl-s MT i pulled so hard it didn't even feel lke a race i even got one with my SI the Si was in front the whole time not by a lot mayb 1/2 a car it was close
Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Advanced

I just bought a 2005 TL 6MT a week ago and Im in love with it....
I always wanted to have it. I used to have a RX8, it was great too...

The only thing that is getting on my nerves is the FREAKING 3th gear. It feels weird to engage. The clutch is very different than the RX8..
I never EVER EEEEEEEVER had an automatic car, so I know what is to drive a standard car.

Well, so far, great car!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow.. that sucks.. the only thing I have had problems with is the leather.. I dont know why acura uses such crappy leather.. my gf and I just went to look at cars.. and Lexus leather is soooo much nicer.. So she ended up with another lexus.. Also the service at Lexus dealership is soooo much better.. But I would never buy a new car..
Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

The leather on my 07 TL-S steering wheel has started to flake/peel. Annoying. But besides that and some dash fading, I can't complain and still LOVE the car!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:17 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasrph
i am not buying a vw, just test drove a 4-door gti with the dsg. Remember, i still have about 18 more months with the tl-s (1/2 way thru my lease).

The vw is a little too small for me......i am 6'5" tall.

I wish the 2010 mazdaspeed 3 was a little bigger........i would buy that car in a heartbeat. For $23,000 that mazdaspeed 3 is very hard to beat (most car magazines agree as well). Major "bang for the buck" there in that car. What an amazing car for the price.
lancer evo!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dohboy
The leather on my 07 TL-S steering wheel has started to flake/peel. Annoying. But besides that and some dash fading, I can't complain and still LOVE the car!
The leather quality is shitty, I will grant you that.

As for the dash, do you treat it with anything? I've been putting 303 on mine every month since I've had it, no dash fading. Car sits outside 24/7 too.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Acuras Only in

You can even find certain things you don't like in a M5, let alone a type-s ... but I feel your pain as a fellow type-s owner ... at least you're half way out of your misery, right?

Meanwhile, I'm happy with the perf. & relia. type-s has brought to me so far ....
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my TL-S. BUT if there's just one thing that really pisses me off is the pinging issue...inexcuseable for a car of this caliber.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Since day 1, my Type S has been a rattling Pepsi can on wheels. I have taken it to the dealers countless times and I still have those rattles. But those are the least of my problems. I think the pinging sound of the engine is a huge disappointment. That pinging sound total ruins spirited driving. This is my 4th Honda manufactured vehicle and have been the most disappointing.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Wow bro, just reading through the entire post and sounds like you have a lemon man. Small things here and there definitely increase your frustration to the point you are at. I agree with you on certain things, but regarding the brakes.....you definitely have to expect that from Brembo's unless you go with ceramic or low dust pads. I've had those issues with windows on a 3 series BMW that i've owned as well. You mentioned you are tall and like Inifinity/Nissan....how about the M45 S? I was considering that car vs my TL-S. Bought my TL used and have been happy since.....we just have to keep in mind that it's a sweet family sedan with some HP potential, not a EVO, STI, Audi S4 etc....so we can't exactly expect it to perform like they do modded....
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Cruisin'

i have to agreed with Vegas about some of the problems with my 08 TL-S lease as well (18 months into lease) rattles, rattles, lots of it. I'm a big person 240lbs, the seat is taking a wear for only 9000 miles!! i know 18 months 9000 miles right, my other car is a 07 Honda S2000 and its been 3 years and 20000 miles and show no wear. Anyways car is doing pretty good on gas mileage i averaged around 24 mpg on my TLS so i have no problem there but im planning to return my TL-S when lease is up.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by 08TYPE_S
Since day 1, my Type S has been a rattling Pepsi can on wheels. I have taken it to the dealers countless times and I still have those rattles. But those are the least of my problems. I think the pinging sound of the engine is a huge disappointment. That pinging sound total ruins spirited driving. This is my 4th Honda manufactured vehicle and have been the most disappointing.

This still just boggles my mind. My 30,000 mile 07 Type S interior is sooooo quiet and rattle free. I just dont see how one car can be perfect and other guys cars are rattle traps?!?!?!? Also, regarding the pinging you do use premium gas correct? My 07 engine is 100% silent. Weird.

Also, as far as the leather I think its perfect. Im no 200 pounder but even after 30,000 miles it looks literally the same as the day it came off the showroom floor.

James
Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Banned

What do you HATE about your TL?

Ok I've only had my TL-S for about 6 weeks now but I have noticed a few things that Suck!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love my car but come on. This is a luxury ride. It should exceed a Honda Accord in every way. So here is my list of gripes:

1. Door lock knob. The one that sticks up on the door to let you know it is unlocked I guess. I drive with my windows down and this is the exact place I rest my arm. Not comfortable.

Hahahah it has been posted before. Guess I am not the only crazy person.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...door+lock+knob

2. Cheap A$$ sun visors. They don't block out much sun and the springs or mechanism that holds them is weak and cheaply made.

3. Sound system. What does it have like 6 speakers and a sub and still sounds like garbage. My GF 03 Accord sounds amazing.

4. Nav screen always displaying that stupid warning when starting car. I know it is a liability but then don't put it in the car.

5. Heavy steering wheel. It just doesn't seem like the power steering pump is doing anything. Had the dealer check it out and they said it was fine and working normally.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
My worst issue is with the paint. It is too thin and of course the WDP has issues with the bumpers matching the rest of the body. I've seen better paint jobs from the Big 3. I guess I'm not as fussy but I also agree with your #4 above.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
When i had an '05 TL, I disliked the overly stiff ride (the '07 and '08 are much much better in this respect), the door lock pull location and the huge pillars resulting in terrible visibility.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I can't say that there is anything that I really hate on my car. I hate ppl that I drive around sometimes cuz they don't care about my car as much as me and they dirty it up but that's about it. Oh and I think they should have came with fog lights on the bumper like 07-08 models(04-06 canadian models didnt have any kind of fogs)
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

small glove box
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I hate the rattles, nothing new. That is all.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
scary things happen in

I agree with the lock (i rest my arm there while driving too), never really noticed the rest (except for sound system).

the heavy wheel feels so good though.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJack75
4. Nav screen always displaying that stupid warning when starting car. I know it is a liability but then don't put it in the car.
I don't have a nav screen. If you don't care for it then I'll swap my non-nav unit for yours. Then both our problems will be resolved.

I don't hate anything about the car. I am annoyed however by the self decapitating door feature and the lack of torque down low. You might not have that with a type S.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

1. Door lock knob. The one that sticks up on the door to let you know it is unlocked I guess. I drive with my windows down and this is the exact place I rest my arm. Not comfortable.

2. Cheap A$$ sun visors. They don't block out much sun and the springs or mechanism that holds them is weak and cheaply made.

3. Sound system. What does it have like 6 speakers and a sub and still sounds like garbage. My GF 03 Accord sounds amazing.

yea i hate the stock system is alright but its not the best but hey that means i get to upgrade........JL AUDIO STYLE

i actually like havin that warning come on cause sometimes i dont even press ok and it goes in to ninja mood haha

5. Heavy steering wheel. It just doesn't seem like the power steering pump is doing anything. Had the dealer check it out and they said it was fine and working normally.

and im sorry man im gonna have to disagree with you on this one............it does feel heavy dont get me wrong but in all the other cars i drove it feels like your floating along road and in the TL you can feel everything in the road and i mean everything and my car is still 100percent stock.................I LOVE MY TL

[/quote]
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
torque steer on a 6MT
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
I hate the rattles, nothing new. That is all.

I also hate the rattles besides that I am very happy with the car.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
173rd Airborne!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
deffinately the rattles!!! as far as the nav system warning screen, i just let it black out after a few sec's. Have no use for it 90% of the time.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
rattles and oversized pillars that block visibility
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Racer

1 - Brembo brake dust
2 - torque steer
3 - sub rattle
4 - door hinges (my door always swings open & then closes on me)

These are all minor to me - all in all, I love my TL-S.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
+1 for torque steer.

Btw you opened this thread twice you know...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
1) I moved where I put my arm.

2) I have sunglasses so I don't use them.

3) Agree, it sucks. I've blown the sub twice. I've heard stock 2G's, Accords, and even a Mitsubishi Montero that sound better.

4) Don't have navi, don't need it, don't care. However, there's a nav hack to eliminate the nag screen...do it and be happy.

5) No problems here.

6) Torque steer...sometimes it occurs, and yes, it's annoying.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJack75

Originally Posted by iBBitHEkID
I agree with the lock (i rest my arm there while driving too), ....

You guys REALLY need to visit the 3G Garage: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/

E-022: DIY: Driver side door lock MOD
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82775
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/quick-question-aftermarket-hu-125597/

Originally Posted by chill_dog

4) Don't have navi, don't need it, don't care. However, there's a nav hack to eliminate the nag screen...do it and be happy.

Doesn't work (for the OK button) on the '07/'08's. Splash screen hack only.

BigJack75 is there anything you LOVE about your TL-S? Did you test drive it before purchase?

There is nothing I HATE about my car. A few annoyances that I can either fix (easily in most cases) or live with.

And heavy steering is much better than loose steering.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 10-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

i love my nbp 07 tl-s m/t, i have had this car at 80 mph and it said it was getting 34 mpg.. maybe i was trippin.. and i bought mine used with 41,000 miles on it.. i paid cash for it 20500.. it has a few scratches on the bumper from rocks on the freeway.. right now it is stock BUT NOT FOR LONG.. THE ONLY ISSUE IS THE DUSTY BRAKES BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T BOTHER ME..

Last edited by dork559; 10-07-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by dork559
i love my nbp 07 tl-s m/t, i have had this car at 80 mph and it said it was getting 34 mpg.. maybe i was trippin.. and i bought mine used with 41,000 miles on it.. i paid cash for it 20500.. it has a few scratches on the bumper from rocks on the freeway.. right now it is stock BUT NOT FOR LONG.. THE ONLY ISSUE IS THE DUSTY BRAKES BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T BOTHER ME..
Dusty brakes isnt an issue thats 100% normal with high performance brakes. The base brakes have little to no brake dust AND THEY SUCK!

Almost all the replies in this thread are from older base guys now. This topic is about the Type S!!

Quick Reply: Anyone else NOT happy with their TL-S??