3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else get a whining engine sound at 2,500 rpm's??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else get a whining engine sound at 2,500 rpm's??

I bought my 04 TL back in Feb and about 2 months ago I started hearing a high pitched whining sound coming from the engine when I would hit 2,500 rpm's while accelerating. It doesnt do it while in park, just while accelerating. I took it to the service department in Macon, Ga and after THREE hours of them checking it out...they said they could not tell where the noise was coming from OR what was making the noise...nice. They said they even called the Acura teck (that is how it was spelled) line and apparently I am the only person in the US with this problem. RIGHT! Then they told me to try a gas station that is reputible...whats that got to do with anything? I already use premium at a reputible station...so anyway...I actually bought the car down in Clearwater so I am going to take it by their service department since I am going to be down there next week. I wonder if they find something this time or maybe I could just get a new TL instead?

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

I haven't heard of this problem. Don't let the dealer push you around on this. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

hey, mine whines like a bitch when cruising at around 40.

the whine never really goes away, just goes into frequencies that are either lower or higher than audible.

is this what you are talking about? and if so, anyone else getting this?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:41 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is whine sound?
Old 09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Cruisin'

I hear what sounds more like a bearing squeal at that RPM (2500). Sounds like something driven by the belt. After a 1/2 hour trip or so, the bay is warmed up pretty good and the sound is gone. Acura told me they heard nothing they hear on every TL. Of course I don't buy that.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:41 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

i heard that noise in our 04 tl also.. when i left to the dealership i heard it.. but when i got there it was gone! i was like wtf.. the guy said they only will service it if they can hear the problem also.. so yea my car still makes that noise.. dealer said it was the intake.. but i doubt that
Old 09-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure whether it's relevant... I had similar whining noise during acceleration in my 2000 tl. It went away when I replaced transmission for the second time. But it was present in the first replacement and in the dealer's loner that I had at the time.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
I was looking for something else and found this thread on the same subject http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83998
Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 PM
10th Gear

I hear the whining sound all the time around 2,800 rpm. I heard it the 2nd day I got the car. I wasn't sure if this was normal, but the sound is annoying. It sounds like it is coming from a pulley at the top of the accessory or timing belt. I got the car 2 months ago and it hasn't changed. I am going to bring it in soon, but I am dreading the dealer explanations, "they all do that", or "can't hear it". If they tell me they all do that, I will demand they pull up another TL and compare the sounds. I am going to suggest they look at the idler pulley like the above thread.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

i think it's the intake..my maxima has the same problem..but that happens at 3000+RPM and if i am stomping on the gas too much
Old 09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

SUCCESS at resolving the whistling/ whining sound

Originally Posted by taltek
I hear what sounds more like a bearing squeal at that RPM (2500). Sounds like something driven by the belt. After a 1/2 hour trip or so, the bay is warmed up pretty good and the sound is gone. Acura told me they heard nothing they hear on every TL. Of course I don't buy that.
I, too, had the same issue. it would whistle around 2000 - 2500 rpm when cold. I brought it in to the dealer for round 1:

2 days and couldn't resolve the issue. I took the car back for a trip we went on.

A few weeks later for Round 2:

2 weeks at the dealer and here are the things they did:

replaced idler pulley - this did not do it
replaced A pipe - this did not do it
placed clips to stablize the bumpers - this did not do it
did every diagnostic/ listener tool item to every part of the engine - and NOPE, coldn't find it.

They service director called and said they were out of options and the Acura Rep would call.

10 days later, the Acura rep said that they would push for a swap of cars - pretty hard to believe, but I was listening.

1 week later, Acura rep called to notify me that Honda wants to send out 1 of 6 Honda Factory engineers to look over my car. But this wouldn't take place for 5-8 weeks due to their schedule.

2 months later, honda engineer looks over the car, and replaced the heat shield for the A pipe - SUCCESS no more noise.

Apparently they have had issues with the metallic washers on each side of the heat shield emitting noise, they showed it to me and I turned the washers and sure enough it made that sound, albeit at a much lower volume.

I'm just glad they figured it out! Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:49 AM
10th Gear

My sound is not one that appears suddenly at a certain RPM range (which would suggest a resonant frequency noise). The wining sound can be faintly heard at lower RPMs and gets progressively louder and increases in frequency and is most prominent in the upper 2000 RPM range. After that, the engine noise begins to mask the wining, but is still present. The wining increases in pitch with RPM, suggesting a bearing. I have listened to the engine bay and the sound appears to be emanating from the timing and accessory belt area. The sounds occurs when the engine is hot or cold, with the AC compressor on or off.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

its the intake
Old 10-16-2004, 10:56 AM
10th Gear

In my case, apparently the power steering pump was the culprit. The dealer heard the problem and replaced the pump. Problem solved.

On a side note, I was given a loaner TL with 15,000 miles. I hope this car is not a preview of the things to come. This loaner had lots of rattles and a few other things broken:

- passenger side mirror sticks when going into the reverse "look down" position
- rear defroster causes radio interference on FM stations
- rear window trim on left side hanging down and loose (maybe related to above problem)
- part of driver's armrest stitching worn off
- leather seats look dull (front and back)

You would think the dealer would fix their loaner cars. If I test drove or sat in this care before I bough mine, I might have reconsidered based on the projected quality. It is possible that since this was a loaner, the car naturally is abused and probably neglected. My previous Audi with over 100,000 miles had a lot less rattles that this car.

On another note, the loaner was an automatic without the navigation system. Mine is the 6 speed with navi. I must say driving the automatic, even using the manual shift mode, is really boring and the car feels like a dog. The car feels so much quicker and responsive with the manual. The non-navi display seems like a bad joke Honda sells to some of its customers. Maybe they want you to buy the navi.

I'm enjoying my car again, and I am happy with my decision.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2003 3.2TL. I hear a high pitch whine only upon acceleration about 30mpr and above. The TL runs strong but the whine is anoying. Could fuel injectors have anything to do with it? or maybe the intake? I hope they figure it out soon. I have an appointment for service on Monday in Macon, Ive already had bad a bad experience with their sales staff. I hope the service isn't as bad.
It's gotta be something stupidly simple.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112346