3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else been in a bad accident in TL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else been in a bad accident in TL?

I was in a collision about 5 weeks ago in my 2007. The guy rear-ended me and then I hit the car in front of me. Car is now in the shop. Was supposed to be in paint on Monday. So hopefully I will finally get it back this Friday. I had the car 6 days. The odometer read 666 at the time of the collision!! I went through my own insurance so they can deal with his insurance company. I am sick over the whole thing! There were 9 hours of frame labor on the estimate. Total repair cost $10,000. Just wondering if anyone else has been in a collision similar or similar damage. I just wanted to see. If so, is the car okay after being repaired? Does it ride right? Tires wear funny? Thanks for any input. Hopefully my body shop with do a good job on the repairs.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM
[PA] NBP-TL

:gheyhug:
:gheywave:
Old 06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by clavodulce16

:gheyhug:
:gheywave:
you forgot :rippedoff
Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
2008 KBP Type S

I launched my S2000 airborne through a brick wall a few years ago. Cost $22,000 to repair. The car is absolutely just like new cosmetically and mechanically. Any car can be brought back to new condition no matter how much damage. It just takes a top quality body shop, OEM parts, and a good insurance company.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by CBR2200
I launched my S2000 airborne through a brick wall a few years ago.
rofl how the hell did you manage to do that?!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

No Pix Available

Unfortunetly I don't have any pix of the car. The police took the photos and then forwarded them to the insurance company. I almost don't even want to look at them. OMG $22,000 worth of damage! Glad your okay and that the car is looking and driving well. The shop I took my car to was recommened by two friends in the auto industry. They do a lot of high end work, i.e., Aston, Rolls, BMW, Porsche, etc. So hopefully it will be okay.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
plenty of people that have been in serious accidents. if the work is done by a reputable shop you shouldnt have any major issues. unfortunately they totaled my car in the accident that i was in, not that bad, but good amt of front end damage (check my sig).

hopefully u or any of ur passengers werent hurt
Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
6 days with 666 miles says it all. Your has a demon inside, get rid of it now!!! ^^
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, myself and my passenger were fine. My airbags didn't deploy. The guy behind me was going about 40-45mph. Not only did this happen on the 6th day of ownership and have 666 on the odometer, but the car is RED! Nobody could believe me when I told them.When the lady faxed over the authoriztion to tear down the car I had to call her to confirm the mileage. She couldn't believe it either.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by imj0257
you forgot :rippedoff
and this...

Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Pro

Muahahahahahah ^^^^^^
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gth181a
and this...

thas trippy
Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Pro

i got run off the road onto the side of a bridge crossing a highway. there is a sidewalk on the bridge, which i went over, smacked into the bridge, and bounced off back into the road then pulled over. I have a 2000 TL. Gunna be about $4,200 to repair. Blew both my tires on the right side and the front left has a big bubble; right side rims look like eggs; need new bumper, & fender; right headlight was pushed back into the engine bay; frame was bent and chassis scratched the hell up. LUCKILY on $250 deductible. but still, no for 3 weeks... i miss it.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:24 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
My wife was driving our near new MDX and was broadsided a few years ago.There was over $10,000 in damage including both front airbags and the right front suspension. She was shaken up but not seriously injured.

The car is fine over 20,000 miles later. For the best protection, we went through our insurance and one of their recommended repair shops. All repairs are guaranteed for the length of our ownership.The repair shop was one I had had used before and was pleased with. It took the better part of a year to get it to my satisfaction but everyone worked with me.

The last eight months or so of the repair process was replacing or adjusting things as we noticed them. Bottom line, patience and firmness works things out. Glad there were no serious injuries.

Depending where you live, might want to look into a diminished value settlement possibly.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MR1
Depending where you live, might want to look into a diminished value settlement possibly.
Diminished value claims are valid in all 50 states. You need to go through the at-fault driver's insurance, because you have to be a third party claimant. There is plenty of case law if you do your research. It's tort law.

According to Restatement (Second) of Torts § 928 (1977):

When one is entitled to a judgment for harm to chattels not amounting to a total destruction in value, the damages include compensation for:

(a) the difference between the value of the chattel before the harm and the value after the harm or, at his election in an appropriate case, the reasonable cost of repair or restoration, with due allowance for any difference between the origi-nal value and the value after repairs, and

(b) the loss of use.

The insurance company will bullshit you all day and night, but you can sue and win pretty easily. They're banking on you giving up, but as you can see it's common law, and it's on your side. You can go to Car Max and get your car appraised for free, and compare that to the trade in value on NADA, and you have a prima facie case that they have to disprove. All the judge has to believe is that your case is 51% credible (ie based on a preponderance of the evidence, not a reasonable doubt like a criminal case) and you win. The defense won't have anything to dispute you if you have solid documentation, so that's very easy to achieve.

The only thing that varies by state is the contributory negligence portion. Once you submit the claim through the negligent driver's insurance, and they accept liability, you've pretty much cleared that hurdle.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

Red face

MR1 I'm glad your wife was okay. I was shaken too. I'm glad to hear from people posting that the cars can be fixed to almost like new condition. I will hope for the best. And you bet I will be back at the shop if anything seems off. I already hired an apprasial(spelling?) firm to assess the car. I filed the DV claim with the 3rd party driver's insurance company as the other post is correct it is a tort claim and valid in all 50 states. I am in CA and can't claim the DV with my own insurance company. I did a lot of research on DV and figured I am definetly owed it. The apprasier's report states $12,654 in DV. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you up to date. Will probably take another 4 weeks or so for anything to happen or begin negotiations.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Advanced

You didn't use Appraiser's Group LLC (I think that's their name) out of Portland Oregon, did you? What they provide will not hold up in court. Last name of the people is Fisher? They're bullshit. I had to learn that the hard way. They take about 5 minutes to type a bunch of crap out, and don't stand by it and will stop returning your calls.

Maybe it will work and you'll settle, but if you actually go to court, you have to have somebody physically inspect your car, not glance over the repair estimate. I was supposed to get $15k according to them, in reality it was about 5. They suck you in with their inflated number and then provide you with nothing of substance.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Red face

MR1 I'm glad your wife was okay. I was shaken too. I'm glad to hear from people posting that the cars can be fixed to almost like new condition. I will hope for the best. And you bet I will be back at the shop if anything seems off. I already hired an apprasial(spelling?) firm to assess the car. I filed the DV claim with the 3rd party driver's insurance company as the other post is correct it is a tort claim and valid in all 50 states. I am in CA and can't claim the DV with my own insurance company. I did a lot of research on DV and figured I am definetly owed it. The apprasier's report states $12,654 in DV. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you up to date. Will probably take another 4 weeks or so for anything to happen or begin negotiations.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Muldsr01 - OMG that is the company I used. You are correct they really are terible at communication after the fact. I actually read on anther forum, can't remember which one, and they got som really good comments. Oh well, if I have to take the 3rd parties insurance to court, you bet your butt I will. I will go to Carfax and NADA and check them o9ut. I will also have the dealer look at the car as soon as the repairs are complete. They said they have done DV claims before.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Advanced

cool and good luck. I think they probably set up a faux-forum and praised themselves so it looked like they're reputable. LOL
Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

ok, it's not a 3rd gen, but it is a tl! haha

guy ran a red light and i plowed into him goin about 60. flipped him 4 times.

sucky thing was.. he was an illegal mexican, no car insurance, no license, he had no seat belt and it was all his fault.

cost of repairs was close to $20k , so it was totaled out and i got my current 3rd gen

but in my 05, a post of some sort fell off a truck and hit my front end, tearing off the whole front end and passenger corner panel, passenger headlight, passenger side mirror, while destroying 3 engine mounts, my whole front subframe, shattered my rotor and caliper, while demolishing the passenger door and both wheels and tires on the passenger side, and bending the driver rear wheel. it was roughly a $15k fix.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by siddysue
I will also have the dealer look at the car as soon as the repairs are complete. They said they have done DV claims before.
So many new members come and go. Please follow up with the inspection after the repair and how the DV claim goes. It can help other forum members in the future if they run into the same situation.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks, myself and my passenger were fine. My airbags didn't deploy. The guy behind me was going about 40-45mph. Not only did this happen on the 6th day of ownership and have 666 on the odometer, but the car is RED! Nobody could believe me when I told them.When the lady faxed over the authoriztion to tear down the car I had to call her to confirm the mileage. She couldn't believe it either.
a red TL owner in California.
there weren't many red TL sold in CA, so there is a good chance that i may know your car. btw. my Tl-s is also red, the only red one around LA as far as i know.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ghosthunter
a red TL owner in California.
there weren't many red TL sold in CA, so there is a good chance that i may know your car. btw. my Tl-s is also red, the only red one around LA as far as i know.
I wasn't aware that they didn't sell very many red ones. It just happened to be the one with the best price! But I love the red. I am in the Palm Springs area and haven't seen another one like it....
Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by alltrac
So many new members come and go. Please follow up with the inspection after the repair and how the DV claim goes. It can help other forum members in the future if they run into the same situation.
I definetly will. It may be a few weeks, but I will post the info back on this thread. I am also going to have an independent body shop or possibly the dealer laser measure the frame once the repairs are complete.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by muldsr01
cool and good luck. I think they probably set up a faux-forum and praised themselves so it looked like they're reputable. LOL
I got a bit nasty with the woman last night and she has e-mailed twice this morning. I will continue to keep on her. I'm not one to back down. Now I'm kinda feeling like I am getting hosed and I am not a Happy Camper!! I will let you know how things pan out. It could be a few weeks, but I'll post in this thread.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

Unfortunetly I don't have any pix of the car. The police took the photos and then forwarded them to the insurance company. I almost don't even want to look at them. OMG $22,000 worth of damage! Glad your okay and that the car is looking and driving well. The shop I took my car to was recommened by two friends in the auto industry. They do a lot of high end work, i.e., Aston, Rolls, BMW, Porsche, etc. So hopefully it will be okay.
I got some pix from the apprasier that went to the body shop but not sure how to add them to a response. I understand that the file goes between the IMG tags, but not sure what part of the file I need to put in there. I have the files on my computer desktop. Any help would be great, them I can load the pix.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=ricgrrarrow]

guy ran a red light and i plowed into him goin about 60. flipped him 4 times.

sucky thing was.. he was an illegal mexican, no car insurance, no license, he had no seat belt and it was all his fault.

QUOTE]

That does suck!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM
2006 Acura TL

I was in a collision about 5 weeks ago in my 2007. The guy rear-ended me and then I hit the car in front of me. Car is now in the shop. Was supposed to be in paint on Monday. So hopefully I will finally get it back this Friday. I had the car 6 days. The odometer read 666 at the time of the collision!! I went through my own insurance so they can deal with his insurance company. I am sick over the whole thing! There were 9 hours of frame labor on the estimate. Total repair cost $10,000. Just wondering if anyone else has been in a collision similar or similar damage. I just wanted to see. If so, is the car okay after being repaired? Does it ride right? Tires wear funny? Thanks for any input. Hopefully my body shop with do a good job on the repairs.
When my wife had her accident in her Grand Prix, we were told we would get oem parts but not the original. They had an Acura in the same body shop and he told that those cars get special attention and they get oem replacements as they need to be brought back to original specs as they are luxury cars. Again it also depends on the shop and the quality of the work that they do. If you are having the repair done at an Acura dealer, then their is no need to worry as that will be under warranty. The only hassle is that you would need to take your time out to bring it in for repair.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rajunwild
When my wife had her accident in her Grand Prix, we were told we would get oem parts but not the original. They had an Acura in the same body shop and he told that those cars get special attention and they get oem replacements as they need to be brought back to original specs as they are luxury cars. Again it also depends on the shop and the quality of the work that they do. If you are having the repair done at an Acura dealer, then their is no need to worry as that will be under warranty. The only hassle is that you would need to take your time out to bring it in for repair.

I have taken my car to a (hopefully) reputable shop. They work on pretty much all high end luxury cars. The insurance company, not the shop was trying to put an aftermarket hood, radiator and condensor on my car. The shop and I both said no way. The insurance co. supervisor back dated my insurance policy to the date of the loss to include an OEM endorsement. The endorsement costs $35 a year. I figured $35 was cheaper and quicker than taking them to court for the extra $300 it would be to use OEM instead of non. Can you believe thethe insurance company's put people through for $300!!! Oh, my Acura dealer doesn't do body shop work.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
siddysue,

Sorry to hear about your accident. If it all helps. I had a 2007 TL Nav. I trated it in January and got myself a 2008 RL Tech. I reareded this new car to a concrete column in the parking garate. I took it to the dealer recommended body shop last week. I went this afternoon to pick up the car and I was pissed to see how terribly the car was painted. The paint didn't match and the overspray on the bumper was evident and rough. The finishing wasn't anywhere near acceptable. I left the car with them to match the paint. I am loosing my mind over it and I certainly can understand your feelings.

All the best to you.

Please keep us posted.

All the best.

MDs1
Old 06-11-2008, 10:33 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Came across these pics of this 2005 Acura TL on an insurance website....Obviously it was involved in a very bad accident but I really wonder what happened...

Steering wheel Airbag did not deploy?!?!?!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
4th Gear

hahah wow cant believe the steering wheel airbag didnt deploy...what did that guiy do drive into a trash compactor ...seriously

surprisingly all the wheels look to be in good shape
Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by YamiFanatic
hahah wow cant believe the steering wheel airbag didnt deploy...what did that guiy do drive into a trash compactor ...seriously

surprisingly all the wheels look to be in good shape
haha...I know so much for airbags huh?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by carlos9827
haha...I know so much for airbags huh?
no joke, in my accident, the airbag is what f*d me up the most! it was a delayed deploy... so it didn't do it's thannggg.. but the tl is still pretty safe -- maybe just have to relocate or fix the airbag issue.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveS221
i got run off the road onto the side of a bridge crossing a highway. there is a sidewalk on the bridge, which i went over, smacked into the bridge, and bounced off back into the road then pulled over. I have a 2000 TL. Gunna be about $4,200 to repair. Blew both my tires on the right side and the front left has a big bubble; right side rims look like eggs; need new bumper, & fender; right headlight was pushed back into the engine bay; frame was bent and chassis scratched the hell up. LUCKILY on $250 deductible. but still, no for 3 weeks... i miss it.
That sucks...I have a 2000 TL also. I got side swiped jumped a curb, and jumped another ditch like thing. Passenger side front and rear doors are replaced, min damage to the frame, front bumper replaced, reused front lip, paint, 2 new wheels/1 new tire, tint, and a few other things cost the insurance company over 7000 dollars. Other persons insurance company paid.

https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/iraq-rebels-aided-sources-syria-162988/
Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

More picture from some ziner. Use to be his TL.

Just do search
Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Unkn0VV17
That sucks...I have a 2000 TL also. I got side swiped jumped a curb, and jumped another ditch like thing. Passenger side front and rear doors are replaced, min damage to the frame, front bumper replaced, reused front lip, paint, 2 new wheels/1 new tire, tint, and a few other things cost the insurance company over 7000 dollars. Other persons insurance company paid.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162988

dude that sucks more than my crash did! At least you got a rental to drive around tho. Since i'm underage they said i didn't qualify for one. It reallyyy sucks but hopefully she'll be done by tommorow and everything will be good as new. It'll have 4 new tires and as a present to myself i ordered a touchscreen headunit for when she returns home.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by A-TLvic882
More picture from some ziner. Use to be his TL.

Just do search

OH MY GAWD HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN? Did a bullet train hit him?!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MDs1
siddysue,

Sorry to hear about your accident. If it all helps. I had a 2007 TL Nav. I trated it in January and got myself a 2008 RL Tech. I reareded this new car to a concrete column in the parking garate. I took it to the dealer recommended body shop last week. I went this afternoon to pick up the car and I was pissed to see how terribly the car was painted. The paint didn't match and the overspray on the bumper was evident and rough. The finishing wasn't anywhere near acceptable. I left the car with them to match the paint. I am loosing my mind over it and I certainly can understand your feelings.

All the best to you.

Please keep us posted.

All the best.

MDs1
MDs1,

I know how losing the mind goes when dealing with the car! Sorry to hear you are in a situation similar to mine. It really is the pits! It has been since May 2 and I should get the car back today. I am hoping and praying that it looks new like it was before. I'll have to see. I now have accident pix of the car. I will try to put some of them up tonight. I have to load them to Photobucket first. Oh, great thing was, in the pix the apprasier took, the odometer reads 665 not 666!

Quick Reply: Anyone else been in a bad accident in TL?