Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with driveline vibrations 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with driveline vibrations 6MT

Anybody here with a 6MT experience driveline vibrations? I've seen all the previous threads and they were mostly concerning the 5AT. I only have 1800 miles on the car and already I can feel a vibration through the steering wheel at idle. When the car is moving, I can feel the vibration through the floor as well as the steering wheel and stick. It's not a major vibration where the whole car is shaking like some have posted on here. Maybe I'm just anal but it bothers me as this vibration just started. Could this be the crappy BS tires? I've tried coasting in neutral and I can still feel the vibration.

To top it all off, I was also one of the people on this forum to post about the 2nd gear slippage. Whenever I shift to 2nd and floor it, I can feel the engine working hard and revving to almost redline but the car feels like it's a 4cyl Civic with the A/C on.

I'm starting to regret my decision to purchase this car. Don't get me wrong, the car is beautiful and the features for the price can't be beat. But with less than 2000 miles on the car, I should not be having these problems. This is on top of the rattles that I have learned to accept and live with.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:51 AM
pps
Advanced

me too

I have about 10,000 miles on my car 6mt. Recently, I have felt when at idle the driveline vibration. Not major, but irritating. Can feel it in the steering wheel.

Also when accelerating from stop to 1st to 2nd, seems to be more vibration feedback through the floorboard and steering wheel. Not major, but irrating. I had this checked out by the dealer -- "within normal tolerence" -- I plan on complaining every time I go in about this.

Other than this, no other complaints about the car.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
9k on my car and i have felt it since 1k i want a car with no problems for a change!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Instructor

My car has a slight vibration when in idle, can be felt thru the steering wheel, but when it is moving, it is very smooth. I have 4400 miles on it so far. I don't think it is an issue for me yet.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Racer

same here ludachrisvt, just once I would love a car without any problems. Especially so early in the life cycle of a new car.

Have anyone of you noticed problems with 2nd gear as well???
Old 09-30-2004, 10:11 AM
s54
Advanced

same thing, but gone now...

...after the dealer replaced my BS tires with Michelins, replaced the rims, and balanced them on my 6MT. Still have all the major rattles (the sun visor one reappeared today), but at least the vibration is gone.

With the cold weather coming soon I do not expect any flat-spotting issues, but I will reserve judgement.

S
Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Willz822 - 2nd gear issues here too

I am also having 2nd gear issues,m especially when cold. I switched to Redline gear oil with only minor differences in shifting.

I have found that there's something about the shift gate that requires a pretty precise straight-back shift to avoid a "lump" or occasional gear clash. However, once my trans. is warmed up and I concentrate on going straight back, it shifts, for the most part, okay. I sure don't see why all of the magazines rave about Hondas six speeds though. I can't understand why two major automobile manufactures can't figure out how to produce a reliable, smooth shifting their six speed transmission.

At this point, with only a few minor rattles I am still happy with my car. I am just hoping that things don't go downhill from here.

Good luck and let me know of any developments with your trans.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nuthin'...

5200mi and I absolutely no vibration issues with the car and no problems with 2nd gear either.

In fact yesterday, unintentionally - I swear , I managed to get the car up to 95 without even realizing I was going that fast, until I looked at the speedo.
Everything was smooth as silk and deceptively quiet. Actually hit the rev limiter in 4th because the engine was so smooth I didn't think it was revving that high.

The Red Line MTL swap worked well for me, 2nd gear has been flawless since the change out.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:33 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
12000 miles. No vibrations on my 6MT nor 2nd gear issue.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Advanced

All these problems with 6mt make me kinda scared, cuz I'm buying the 04 NBP TL 6spd w/navi in a couple of days.
Compared to the VW R32 I'm driving right now, the TL is MUCH more comfortable, smooth, and quiet. I've test driven 2 different 6 speed TLs but didn't notice any vibration or gear slippage.
Hope none of these problems happen to my car.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Click in Gas Pedal on Initial Acceleration

First thing in the morning, when I shift into first gear and drive a few feet, I feel a "click" in the accelerator pedal. I do not think that this is the ABS self-test as it was a longer buzz in my previous Hondas. The click does not recur on subsequent shifts into first gear. Is it a warm up issue? or some other diagnostic test?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:15 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

6 spd manaul, approx 3000 miles.

I can feel some vibration through steering wheel and floor board.

Definite vibration at approx 1800-1900 rpm. I can feel the buzz at that RPM in any gear. It was not noticeable until about 1000 miles.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Zed's TL
First thing in the morning, when I shift into first gear and drive a few feet, I feel a "click" in the accelerator pedal. I do not think that this is the ABS self-test as it was a longer buzz in my previous Hondas. The click does not recur on subsequent shifts into first gear. Is it a warm up issue? or some other diagnostic test?

Most of ppl believe it's ABS relative issue. If having a doubt, please check with your dealer, I bet your dealer could tell you more about this, they may tell you the same reason or something else.

I know you have checked the Garage.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Awesome to the Max

what is Red Line MTL swap ?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got almost 15k miles on my 6MT and have experienced the vibrating steering wheel (at hwy speeds) since day one. I had the OEM tires replaced/upgraded at 5200 miles. As for the 2nd gear issue, I do experience the lag but I think that's more a result of no low-end torque than anything else.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:36 PM
MBI
Intermediate

About the vibration, I would check the oil level. The problem that most cars have is that if the level exedes full, the engine will slightly vibrate which will be transfered and felt inside the car.

About the gear problems, did you guys break in the cluch for the first 1k? If not, then that could be the problem. Its not the transmition for sure, its the cluch that was not broken in from the begining.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Racer

I just got the tl and I think its the 45 tires it looks nice but the rim absorbs the impact and bends out of shape the mitsibushi eclipse had the same problems bent rims when they had the low profile tires I want see somebody with 50 tires complain.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by willz822
Anybody here with a 6MT experience driveline vibrations? I've seen all the previous threads and they were mostly concerning the 5AT. I only have 1800 miles on the car and already I can feel a vibration through the steering wheel at idle. When the car is moving, I can feel the vibration through the floor as well as the steering wheel and stick. It's not a major vibration where the whole car is shaking like some have posted on here. Maybe I'm just anal but it bothers me as this vibration just started. Could this be the crappy BS tires? I've tried coasting in neutral and I can still feel the vibration.

To top it all off, I was also one of the people on this forum to post about the 2nd gear slippage. Whenever I shift to 2nd and floor it, I can feel the engine working hard and revving to almost redline but the car feels like it's a 4cyl Civic with the A/C on.

I'm starting to regret my decision to purchase this car. Don't get me wrong, the car is beautiful and the features for the price can't be beat. But with less than 2000 miles on the car, I should not be having these problems. This is on top of the rattles that I have learned to accept and live with.
I don't have the "at idle" vibration issues that you have, but I do have a variable vibration issue that comes and goes. It seems that when I first drive the car on any given day and get it up to about 80 mph I will experience a mild vibration in the wheel and floorboard. However, once I back off from that speed, the vibration disapears and all subsequent runs above 80 are vibration free until the next time I drive the car. I find myself intentionally running up to 80 just to get the vibration over with. Some days there is no vibration at all. I think it is a suspension harmonic problem as I have had my wheels Hunter Road Force balanced.

As for your gear issue. I have been meaning to initiate a post on this topic for a while, but since you have mentioned it I will add my 2 cents here. I don't think what you are experiencing is gear/clutch slippage. I think what you are seeing is a bad gearing ratio with 2nd gear. My favorite gear for acceleration is actually 3rd. I will zip through 1st and 2nd to suck up all of that 3rd gear power. Not to mention that 4th is my second favorite for hard acceleration at 60-80 mph. That said I also noticed I get the best acceleration in all gears when I run the tach up to 5k before shifting. The car is really best above 3500 rpm and shifting at the 5k point puts you just above 3500 in the next gear. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome...

Originally Posted by jmn4667
...As for the 2nd gear issue, I do experience the lag but I think that's more a result of no low-end torque than anything else.
I believe this could be the cause.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Racer

The slippage you feel is the traction control. The car will overpower cold tires on dirty winter highways almost every time. Summer time is much better, since available traction is higher. Also, the A/C will cycle on in Auto mode even in winter unless you've hit the A/C button again to turn it off.

Tires are your most likely source of vibration after the engine has warmed up on 6MT's (especially w/ EL42's). Engine vibration increases somewhat in very cold weather due to motor mount and exhaust bushings stiffening at low temps.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Those that have extremely smooth cars I'd like to know if some are more sensitive than others---At idle--if you place your hand on a front tire do you feel any vibration?