Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using the Ipod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Anybody using the Ipod?

Anybody using the Ipod? I so, what is the best way to play thru the TL sound system?
Old 11-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FM transmitter dude!!! Plugs right into your headphone jack on your Ipod. Tune to either 88.1,2,3,4 and it works perfect.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:08 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Your other option is to get a cassette adapter at Radio Shack. Looks like a cassette tape with a wire coming out of it. Plugs right into your Ipod's headphone jack. $20
Old 11-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I use a cassette adapter with mine. The sound quality is, in theory, better than with an FM transmitter. I am going to be testing a Griffin iTrip (my iTrip for 3G iPod was ordered in July and shipped last week) shortly, if the sound quality isn't good, it's going to be eBayed.

I may also have to re-rip my CDs at 192k AAC rather than 128k as I can hear too many recording artifacts when using the iPod in the car.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can the iPod play VBR mp3's? If it can, then you should be encoding something like 128/256 high quality VBR mp3s (or at least 128/192). I recommend using LAME and a front end like Razorlame.

http://mitiok.cjb.net/
http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php
Old 11-30-2003, 12:46 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I hear there is a product in the works (can't remember who the company is, but they make a lot of these products for different makes of cars) that will allow you to convert the aux-in to an input for the ipod.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by vitocorleone
Can the iPod play VBR mp3's?
Yes. It plays AAC (preferred by Apple as it has DRM), MP3 up to 320kbps, VBR, and WAV files.

My 1000th post!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Smile

I just got the Griffin iTrip for my iPod. I have one of the original 5GB iPods. This FM transmitter works well (for an FM transmitter that is). The sound quality is okay (about like FM radio, no surprise there). The transmitter is a little larger than a AA battery and plugs into the top of the iPod. Frequency selection is via a set of "song" files that you upload and play to select a frequency, so you aren't limited to just a few frequencies. The iTrip draws power from the iPod, so there are no batteries to worry about. The iTrip has a blue LED (that matches the blue lighting of the TL) to indicate operation and it shuts down after 60 seconds of nonplay to preserve your iPods power.

I have a silicon gel cover for my iPod and it sits securely on top of the cupholder cover and doesn't slide around even when I turn quickly.

The only down side of the iTrip is that it blocks the Firewire port when it is plugged in. So if I want to plug in the power adapter, I have to turn the iTrip sideways to allow the Firewire cable to plug in, so then it doesn't sit flat. This is only a problem with the older iPods, the newer ones the power plugs in the bottom of the iPod and doesn't interfere with the iTrip. I have an iRock FM transmitter and the iTrip works much better. Having a larger selection of frequencies helps, especially if you are in a large city with lots of stations.

Also, sound quality is best if you set the iPod's volume at about 10-15% and let the TL stereo do the amplification. If the iPod's volume it too high you get a lot of distortion.

The iTrip is a decent solution, but by no means is as good as something hardwired. I'm sure there will be some third parties creating some solutions as we speak, but until then the iTrip works well enough for me. If you are an audiophile, you probably won't be satisfied, as the sound is not that good, but for me it is just fine.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Instructor

I have an iPAQ with Bluetooth. Surely there has to be a way to wirelessly stream music from the iPAQ to the TL using Bluetooth. Anyone have an idea as to how to implement this??
Old 12-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Mook, I just got my iTrip for 3G iPods. I did a direct comparison using the same music between my cassette adapter and the iTrip. I found that the sound quality in my TL was exactly the same--flat, reflective of the AAC 128 bit formatted music on the iPod. I had no trouble with intrusion into the frequency I selected as I drove from the exurbs of Cleveland all the way into downtown (87.9 MHz for you few Clevelanders works perfectly!)

I'm glad I gave it a try, it's a lot less cumbersome than carrying a bunch of wires around....

An aside....If 128 bit AAC is equivalent to 192 bit MP3 sound, MP3 must not be all that it's cut out to be...
Old 01-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Racer

I've got the brand-new Belkin FM transmitter (available only at Apple Stores) that can tune to any station on the FM dial rather than just four. I'm using it in my CL and it still kinda sucks but its really my only choice.

When I get my TL I think I want to get the cassette adapter but I forgot to look to see if the non-Navi models have cassette decks in them. Anyone know?

I know the Navi-models do because there's a picture of it in the brochure.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Stewie
but I forgot to look to see if the non-Navi models have cassette decks in them. Anyone know?
I've got a Canadian non-navi 6 speed and its got a cassette.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Cruisin'

The best way to make an ipod work is to connect it directly to the head unit. This HAS been done in an '04 TL and will be the way I connect my ipod when I get my car (picking it up tonight).

If you do a search on this forum you will find other threads and if you go to www.ipodlounge.com there is a forum called in-car installations. Here is where you can get all the particulars. I will not do the install myself (getting navi and dont feel comfortable taking it apart) but I am taking it to a shop. The wires should run about 150 and the labor the same.

This is BY FAR the best solution for the ipod in our cars.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Racer

>>This is BY FAR the best solution for the ipod in our cars.

I concur completely but I want you to do it first so I can see if it really works
Old 01-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have an iPod with the Griffin iTrip 2.0 (for new iPods). Sounds pretty good and works on ANY radio frequency. Direct-wire would sound better but you can't accomplish for $30...

-josh
Old 01-08-2004, 07:35 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I use a tape adapter and it sounds really crappy... extreme trebles and not a whole lot of bass. What volume levels are you using with your ipods when you have the adapters connected? I have a 3G 15gb ipod.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Here is a neat accessory to keep your iPOD secure in the vehicle. Made by Belkin Components:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=153999
Old 01-08-2004, 08:52 PM
9th Gear

I just got a 20GB iPod for Christmas and I'm a fairly happy camper... though I am not impressed with the Belkin Cassette Adapter it has an annoying clicking noise as the tape wheels rotate and after fiddling with both iPod equalizers and sound levels I think the performance could be much better with a direct connection to the stereo.
I'm going to try the Belkin Car Adapter (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006)
Use this Promotion Code for a 50% discount: 35491

To get the best sound, I use the equalizer and Sound Check on the iPod and try to make sure all songs are either MP3s at 192kbps or AAC at 128kbps sample rates. I noticed many Windoz users typically import MP3s at 128kbps - I avoid these, I can tell the difference and I'm no sound guru.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:58 PM
9th Gear

Whoa!!! Check out this solution announced on the 6th by Alpine --- this will likely be the best solution --->
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...004/0002084211
Old 01-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Racer

Forget about the casette adapters, and FM Transmitters. Use this thing:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounsnhond3.html

Heres directions on how to setup the SNHOND3 AUX input on cars with Navi

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/snhond3navinst.html
Old 01-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
As far as I could tell, those adapters aren't for the '04, only up to '03 and the TSX.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Racer

Perhaps, but you know how the mfg's recycle interfaces for many years. A quick call to the MFG or this site could provide an answer as to if they will adapt to '04's.

Additionally the site lists 2003-2004 Accord and TSX. Since the 04 TL is essentially a Accord, my guess is that it would probably work fine.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
totally different sound system though. and as has been pointed out in other threads, the xm uses the aux input. if i recall, weeeg had his aux stuff tapped in the trunk by the xm tuner.

mike
Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 AM
10th Gear

Old 01-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Advanced

The ONLY cassette adapter to use is the SONY if you are going to use a cassette adapter. I have tried Belkin and Memorex and tested them against each other and the Sony is clearly better. I have not yet tried the Griffin FM but will do so soon. I rip at 160 and use the Belkin car charger to charge the iPod and I plug the cassette adapter cord into the Belkin and it controls the sound. This gives MUCH better and louder sound then plugging the cassette plug directly into the iPod. I spent 2 hours doing these tests and am very anal so you can trust this info. You just have to adjust the Belkin volume and your car stereo volume to get the best sound for the music you like and the car you have.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:57 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Woodman:

It's probably because the Belkin's output is a line-out as opposed to headphone out as on the iPod.

Does the audio ever sound really really trebly? That's what I have problems with.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Advanced

This is true, and when plugging any of the three cassette adapters into the Belkin, all had improved sound but the Sony sounded the best by far.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:08 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by WOODMAN
This is true, and when plugging any of the three cassette adapters into the Belkin, all had improved sound but the Sony sounded the best by far.
What model Sony is it? I have some janky Magnovox one that I got from a friend YEARS ago... it worked well in my old car but in the Acura it makes everything very shrill.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Advanced

The Sony is model CPA-9C. Also, the other model I tested was a Maxell and not the Memorex. Sorry. After adjusting the bass and treble on the stereo and playing with different volume combinations on the Belkin and the stereo, I was able to get what I feel is the best sound given the situation, and with the Belkin you get louder, clearer sound while being able to charge the iPod.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:36 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Have you read anything about the Sik IMP?

http://store.sik.com/merchant.mv?Scr...egory_Code=AAi

According to a lot of people on the ipodlounge forum, this product offers a true line-out and is better for that, while the Belkin offers an adjustable volume (which defeats the line-out purpose).. or does it? Is there a "neutral" setting you can set on the Belkin which forces it to be a true line-out instead of an amplified one?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Advanced

I had not seen that before. Looks good. Might be a better solution than the Belkin. Belkin may just be an amplified line-out. I do not know about a "neutral" setting. Darn. Just when I thought I had it worked out!
Old 01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I had not seen that before. Looks good. Might be a better solution than the Belkin. Belkin may just be an amplified line-out. I do not know about a "neutral" setting. Darn. Just when I thought I had it worked out!
If it sounds good, I'll buy it just the same. I don't have any problems with that -- I just want a quick and easy solution to my qualms

I'm taking my dock to my car later and trying it out in pure line-out mode to see if it's better to do it that way or not. CompUSA (right next to my apartment) has the Belkin but they don't let you return things without a 15% penalty so I need to make sure what it is that I want first.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Race Director

the iRock 400FM is the best transmitter there is, far as I hear..

I have a iRiver iHP-120 and I am gonna buy it soon, will let u guys know how good it is.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Advanced

I tried plugging the cassette cable right into the dock with the iPod in it for the pure line-out and it sounded terrible no matter what i tried. The dock does not seem to be meant for the car.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:09 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I tried plugging the cassette cable right into the dock with the iPod in it for the pure line-out and it sounded terrible no matter what i tried. The dock does not seem to be meant for the car.
It actually sounded fairly decent on mine. Definitely better than when I had it hooked up directly to the headphone jack!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Wow. Guess I will have to take another look at that hookup. I am going to compare direct dock connection to cassette plug into Belkin connection. Will let you know what I find.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:21 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wow. Guess I will have to take another look at that hookup. I am going to compare direct dock connection to cassette plug into Belkin connection. Will let you know what I find.
Yes, please let me know! Also, when you're using the cassette adapter, does it very audibly have noise (the tape rolling noise)? Whenever the tape deck is going it's loud!
Old 01-10-2004, 05:00 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Woodman:

I just picked up the Belkin Ipod adapter today. It actually sounds phenomenally good -- even better than my dock connected to it. Interesting! I'll play with it more on my drive back home.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Lore:

Great news. I had a feeling you would like the Belkin. I checked again and the dock just does not sound right in the car. Just got home from a 40 minute ride using the Belkin and the sound was nice. I make note of the volume setting that I usually use on my stereo and then adjust the Belkin and radio so that the sound level is right when I turn the stereo to that number. As far as tape noise, make sure you have cassette inserted correctly and on side one on stereo and make sure the ff or rw is not going. When I left today I heard this noise coming from cassette deck like a tape was moving so I ejected the Sony and reinserted and the noise stopped.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by vitocorleone
Can the iPod play VBR mp3's? If it can, then you should be encoding something like 128/256 high quality VBR mp3s (or at least 128/192). I recommend using LAME and a front end like Razorlame.

http://mitiok.cjb.net/
http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php
Yes, the iPod can play VBR MP3s. THis is you rbest size/quality choice!

-Josh

Quick Reply: Anybody using the Ipod?