Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to tighten the steering on TL??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any way to tighten the steering on TL??

I currently drive a 2002 TL-S. I was planning on buying a 2005 TL, but when I test drove the 2004 TL, I was very disappointed. The steering was very sloppy compared to my TL-S.

If I wanted something that steered like a Crown Victoria, I'd buy a Crown Victoria. Is there any way to get a 2004/2005 TL that handles like the old 2002 TL-S?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A-Spec suspension tightens the steering nicely. Worked for me! Otherwise, lots of begging to HOA to improve the steering.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
A-Spec suspension tightens the steering nicely. Worked for me! Otherwise, lots of begging to HOA to improve the steering.

Yeah .. A-spec Suspension DOES tighten the steering .. Along with an upgraded rear sway bar. I just had both of these installed this past saturday...

All I can say is nice!!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Cruisin'

Did you drive the 6-speed with the summer tires? Definately a sportier experience than an automatic.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i felt the same way. i went for the more affordable direction to tighten it all up. i got the comptech springs and bigger tires (245/45/17). to help it even more, i also have a set of 18" wheels on the way. it might also help that my car is 6MT which has bigger sway bars than the AT.

take the plunge....there will be no regrets.....
Old 08-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by djh1201
Did you drive the 6-speed with the summer tires? Definately a sportier experience than an automatic.
True, but the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) has to be taken into account. Even though my wife doesn't drive my 5AT, she has to be able to drive it in a pinch. Since she can't drive a manual, no 6MT for me. The things I do to stay married.....
Old 08-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Advanced

If I had a wife...

I would take her out for a nice drive on a Sunday afternoon in my manual transmission automobile. We would drive partway up the Santa Monica mountains, and I would pull over to a nice lookout along Muholland Drive. We would get out, and I would tell her, "honey, you know that being able to drive a manual transmission sportscar perfectly is one of my pride and joys...of COURSE you're my only pride and joy, but driving stick is my second joy next to you, if that is ok with you. I want to take this opportunity to share this with you." And she replies, "oh, I love you honey!" "Get in, you're driving!" I say. "In your new TL, your baby?" she seems surprised, as I spend hours on end taking care of this car. "Yep, and in no time you'll be heel-toe downshifting through these wicked S curves!"

A good way to keep the marriage solid, as well as keep my stick shift!

Disclaimer: The above is a work of fiction as I neither have a TL nor am I married. But can't you see that I am well prepared for what lies ahead?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

You can remove the tires from the rims... that would tighten the ride.... I hear the wheel shackles they place for parking violations also do the trick

ok ok ok I know its... but I couldnt help it... I test drove a dealer demo 04' TL and they had put 18 inch tires - it did tighten the drive somewhat (Now if they made it rear wheel drive... but that's another story)
Old 08-10-2004, 12:09 AM
USC YQUE

Bmw

Originally Posted by awood
I currently drive a 2002 TL-S. I was planning on buying a 2005 TL, but when I test drove the 2004 TL, I was very disappointed. The steering was very sloppy compared to my TL-S.

If I wanted something that steered like a Crown Victoria, I'd buy a Crown Victoria. Is there any way to get a 2004/2005 TL that handles like the old 2002 TL-S?

Thanks.
For me the gadgets and TL styling (interior and exterior) are gorgeous but honestly, the steering is a major turn-off (for **me**).

That's why I will mostly likely buy a 2004 BMW 330i with the performance package. If I were to add the TL A-spec package and buy the Falkens the price would not be that far off from the bimmer (there are BMW dealer incentive and 1.9% apr-->the new 3 series will be out mid-year 2005).

We'll see...
Old 08-10-2004, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I had a loaner 2003 TL-P today. The first thing I noticed when I drove it off the lot was how vague and overboosted the steering is compared to my (base) '04 TL with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. The second thing I noticed was the GM-style hair trigger throttle tip-in giving the illusion of power. The third thing I noticed was how much like my Odyssey the interior appointments are (excepting the plastic wood).

All in all, the '04 TL is a huge step up, and the stock steering feel can be improved by upgrading the tires.

Mike
Old 08-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like the "A-Spec" may be the way to proceed. I need to ask the dealer if they have one to drive.

It's been 3 years and change since I test drove the standard 2002 TL, but of course I've been driving my 2002 TL-S since.

The difference in steering between the 2002 TL-S and the 2004 TL is like night and day. Bottom line is the 2004 TL is not a sports car - not even a sports car wannabe.

I really enjoyed my 2002 TL-S, and I like my local Acura service, so I want to stick with Acura. I'm just not sure how I'm going to be able to do that with the TL as it is today.

I'm also considering holding out until next Spring for the new Infiniti M45, but I'll try and drive an A-spec before then, just to see the difference.

By the way. What the heck is this supposed to be???? --->
Old 08-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

You could always chuck the all-seasons on the automatic and put some decent tires on the car - I expect that would help significantly - people don't realize what good tires will do to a car. Surely someone has tried this?

You could also put a good lightweight pair of aftermarket 18" wheels on the car - and save some money compared to buying the A-Spec. I personally think the A-spec package is too much $$$$.

Try www.tirerack.com or www.tires.com for some nice whee/tire combos.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Racer

I own a 04 TL and my wife owns a 03 TL-S. I've drove on the TL-S for a long time before I bought the 04. I actually finally drove the TL-S today after quite a long time. There is quite a big difference in the steering. I'm not sure what you mean by "tighter", but I think that the 04 has tighter steering than TL-S. The TL-S can't handle a 180 degree turn without keeping my foot on the brakes. The 04 can come in the turn coast through the apex and then allow you to gas is out of the turn. The 04's steering is quite more precise and the slightest touch sends it darting towards that direction and because of this the 04 is quite "jumpy" on bumpy roads. I guess this is what you me as tighter because it takes alot more effort to turn the TL-S than the 04. Funny thing is that I was just thinking about this on my way to work today. I kinda wish that the 04's steering isn't quite as boosted because I'm having quite a tough time keeping it straight just cruising down the highway. The TL-S is quite more stable. On the other hand, when you are slicin' and dicin' thru the curves or traffic, the 04 definitely out performs the TL-S. The 04 feels so much lighter thru the curves than the TL-S. The TL-S feels like a boat. While that does have some advantages, like when the curve becomes bumpy, the 04 just feels more sporty. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, I would not trade my 04 for the TL-S. The 04 is by far a better car, but I like them both. The TL-S has a more luxurious ride quality and it looks more classy. The 04 TL is more sportier and the interior and gagdets are much better. It's good to have both. Although I am trying to convince the wife to trade her TL-S for an 05 RL so she can get a 04 TL.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Wow. We'll have to agree to disagree on TL-S vs. '04 TL handling.

During the test drive I didn't take any coners at 70 MPH, but I could tell the thing steered like a Crown Victoria. By that I mean that it didn't feel like the steering wheel was connected to the tires. I also drove the Jaguar S-Type and the Infinity M45, and neither of these cars gave me that impression.

I think the power steering boost on the '04 TL is part of this. The wheel on a sports car is not supposed to be easy to turn. But I also felt (from my admittedly short drive) that I had the turn the wheel more on the '04 TL to make the car actually turn than I do on my TL-S.

So the force required to turn the wheel and how much the car turns in reaction to turning the wheel is what I meant by tighter steering. I want to feel like I'm connected to the road. "Luxury ride" doesn't do a thing for me. I'm not a sports car expert, but I would think that at least 9 out of 10 sports car enthusiasts would pick the TL-S over the '04 TL (assuming you could get them to sit in a FWD car at all).
Old 08-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by awood

Thanks.
Don't ignore the tires - they make a world of difference - if you are willing to forego the all-season crap, get a set of Michelin Pilots. Remember, ultimately, it is the rubber that makes the diff. The suspension mods help.

For me, the 5AT is my cruiser, the S2000 is a real car. Oh, the Cobra is beyond a real car - it is a weapon of torture to unsuspecting LS-1's and Corvettes. Hehehehe.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Don't ignore the tires - they make a world of difference - if you are willing to forego the all-season crap, get a set of Michelin Pilots. Remember, ultimately, it is the rubber that makes the diff. The suspension mods help.

For me, the 5AT is my cruiser, the S2000 is a real car. Oh, the Cobra is beyond a real car - it is a weapon of torture to unsuspecting LS-1's and Corvettes. Hehehehe.
true that. the TL is NOT a sports car and doesn't handle/feel like one.

I can't say that I'm disappointed in the steering although they could have made the turning radius on the wheel shorter. and in high speed cornering it seems to "float" and I have to watch it.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:36 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also had a 2002 TL-S, and sold it to purchase my 04 TL 6mt. I don't agree about the steering. I have the HPT tire option so mabe that's the reason, but I find the steering on the 04TL nicer than my 2002 TL-S. Can it be the tires? I don't doubt your experience, but I just don't get the same feeling as you do regarding the steering. I really love my 04TL, and wouldn't ever go back to the TL-S.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by spidey07
true that. the TL is NOT a sports car and doesn't handle/feel like one.

I can't say that I'm disappointed in the steering although they could have made the turning radius on the wheel shorter. and in high speed cornering it seems to "float" and I have to watch it.
The floating feeling that you describe is quite evident even with the A-Spec suspension as well. When merging it sometimes feels like it is bottoming out (very disconcerting). I think this has more to do with the shock damping (or lack thereof) than anything else.

For those that say that the A-Spec "fixes" the steering and overall feel I offer a word of caution. It does help to tighten things up on the car, but depending upon your needs and wants it may not be tight enough (as I am finding).

Still love the TL though...

And for the record: = Stay Puff Michelin Man!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:04 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Disconnect the belt from the power steering unit