Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another new one

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another new one

ok.. another newbie.. I am in the market for a 2004-2005 TL. I am new to the forums and I appreciate all the info. Last night I was scanning the "problems and fixes" forums and got a little nervous! What should I be on the lookout for a 2004 and 2005? I mean, its a Honda. Nothing is perfect, but they are pretty close in the auto world. I am no stranger to Honda's and I have had a couple of Integra's and I know they are great cars, but I have never spent 25000 to 28000 $$ on a USED car. I want to make sure my bases are covered.
I look forward to being a productive forum family member in the future!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
I happen to own a 2006 (not an 04-05), but I understand the concerns you may be feeling after reading some of the information on this board. One thing to bear in mind, this board is full of enthusiasts...meaning we tend to be a little more critical, and there are more people "tinkering" with their cars.

That being said, there are a few documented issues, especially with some of the early 2004 transmissions. Beyond that, most of the problems are of the occasional rattle, etc. If it alleviates your concerns any, I have close to 9,000 miles on my car and have only one small rattle (around my gear shifter) and the car runs fabulous.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Welcome to the board - it will suck you in and become addictive so be warned! haha.
I was in the same boat as you about 7 mos ago. I bought an 04 TL with Navi. I made sure to get a late buil (9/04) to avoid the tranny issues with the early ones. I read the same things you did and had my concerns. Though after looking around online, realized that you will find message boards with problems about ANY CAR out there.
No matter what you're looking for, you find people online ranting about problems, people are in general FAR more likley to go online and post negative things about cars then they are positive ones. Just like anything -people dont normally go out of their way when they are pleased, but you bet you will hear them when there's a problem.
Well so far on my late build 04 TL i have (knock on wood) only had a few cosmetic issues (rattles and new HFL - all Free under warranty) to fix on the car. So far no mechanical issues at all! Car runs great! Being that you are looking for a used one, just make sure they replace the Tires, breaks and rotors. I had those done before i bought mine. Do that and i think you be will be good to go and be VERY happy. Best of luck!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Welcome!

Originally Posted by 2life
ok.. another newbie.. I am in the market for a 2004-2005 TL. I am new to the forums and I appreciate all the info. Last night I was scanning the "problems and fixes" forums and got a little nervous! What should I be on the lookout for a 2004 and 2005?
The 2005s have an extra line of stitching on the front seats, apparently some of the 2004 front seats were getting premature leather wear.
Some manual transimission (6M) drivers had issues with a hard 2-3 shift which was largely corrected with a change in fluid (GM fluid preferred!).
Some of us complain about rattles and/or squeaks, but we are a small minority of TL owners. I have an '05 (5A) that has never been to the dealer for any warranty fixes. I had an occasional, intermittent and minor squeak (radio had to be off to hear it) from the driver's window weatherstripping which disappeared after a couple of months.
FWIW, my 1988 Integra developed one squeak that was corrected within a couple months of purchase, then was rattle- and squeak- free for 7-8 years thereafter.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome. just look for 05 where 04 is the 1st model for 3rd Gen TL. And if you are looking at 04 model, make sure all the recall has been fixed and all the extra extend warranty are issued.

as for 05, I have one for 1 yr and 11 months, and nothing major.

But do remember you are getting a hell of vehicle...

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL1999
welcome. just look for 05 where 04 is the 1st model for 3rd Gen TL. And if you are looking at 04 model, make sure all the recall has been fixed and all the extra extend warranty are issued.

as for 05, I have one for 1 yr and 11 months, and nothing major.

But do remember you are getting a hell of vehicle...

Good luck.
I have an 05 TL, and not peep out of it, it is a very quiet ride - I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FriscoNick
I have an 05 TL, and not peep out of it, it is a very quiet ride - I couldn't be more pleased.
I agree, I love my NBP
Old 01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard! Another thing you can do is check the 3G Garage. It has a lot of general info as well as 3G FAQ.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear

I am not too worried about the rattles, I drive a Nissan Altima. I am used to them. I just turn up the radio! It is the big stuff like the transmission. I think I am going look for a 2005. I will lurk through the forums some more and will keep you posted with what I get. This is by far the most impressive Acura forum I have found.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you should take in consideration most people who find this site because they have a problem with there and they get on the internet looking for ansers. of course you should always be cautious with the purchase of a used car. you never know what has been done to it. if you can get one with navi it comes in handy
Old 01-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I have an 05 TL. No issues to date after close to 18K miles. Like you've highlighted only issue for me are the occasional rattles. However, this car is a Honda and is very reliable. I intend to keep this car around for 4-5 more years, then I'll think of upgrading to the next gen once the kinks have been worked out. Personally I'd go with an 05 but I have really nothing to base that on apart from it being a bit newer and probably some more time left on the manufactures warranty.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have two, both purchased new. Mine is an '04 manual built and bought in July '04 and my wife's is an '05, built and bought in March '05. Both have been perfect and enjoyable.

For me, a car has to entertain me, and continue to do so, otherwise I tend to get bored with it and start looking at other offerings. This is one of the primary reasons I buy cars with manual transmissions. And in the case of my '04 TL, I am still being entertained quite nicely. The car is a joy to drive.