Another new guy here

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014 | 12:47 AM
4th Gear

Another new guy here

I had been browsing Acurazine on and off for a while. Seems like a good community and a good resource for anything relating to third gen TL's. So here's a brief summary of my TL ownership from the past several months, as well as a supreme cell phone photo of it:

I purchased my '06 TL in December of last year. It has been a huge pleasure so far. Heck, coming from a '91 Integra, it was great to finally have cup holders in my car!

Here's a few highlights:

* Got 30mpg once - not bad for a 3.2l V6 cruising down the highway with the AC on
* APP sensor died - free replacement at a local dealer. I read that it was easy to do it yourself, but I decided to take advantage of the used car warranty I had purchased for the car.
* Involved in a hit and run last weekend - just dropped it off at a body shop today to get the bumper replaced and fender touched up. Rim got scratched up too. I parked it on a relatively busy street in a college town on Halloween. I'm assuming it was some drunk moron that didn't want to own up to his screwup (didn't leave a note).

* Broken into - happened a few months ago. At this point I'm not sure how they got in. Nothing was damaged. I might've left it unlocked. Anyway, I was off to work and I noticed every compartment was open. All of the few items I keep in my car were tossed onto the front passenger seat. Some things they stole: a $20 bill that I had in the owners manual in my glovebox (which was unlocked), a cell phone charger, and a bag that was in my drunk which contained a towel and some extra clothes.

That's about it. The car is amazing to drive. Quiet, but has a nice tune when you step on the gas. If I could change two cars about my car, I would: add beefier side bolsters for the front seats (I find myself holding myself up when I go around tighter corners), and move the ignition cylinder up higher (if my seat and steering wheel aren't positioned just right, my knee will hit the key fob when switching between the pedals).
Old 11-08-2014 | 05:57 AM
Racer

Welcome to the forum man!
How's the interior on your car? Got any pics? If you like a little sound, consider the mid muffler delete, it's inexpensive (40$) and it gives the car a nice little purr around 2.5-3k rpms.
And I have the same problem as you with the key fob, this car has the space to accommodate my moderately tall person but my stupid keys get stuck between the steering wheel and my knee all the time!!!!!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-08-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: No need to reqoute, especially if you're the next posting.
Old 11-08-2014 | 06:02 AM
8th Gear

Hi there, I'm sort of a new guy too. Purchased an 07 WDP 6MT about a year ago, did a few things to it but nothing major. One thing I don't regret is the Viper alarm I installed. I purchased the 5904 and installed the smart start module so that I actively receive all triggers wherever I am via text and email whenever there is a security trigger. Along with these I had the tilt sensor and audio sensor installed. I'm sorry to hear about your car being broken into. I would recommend this alarm system to anyone who owns a vehicle they care about. Just my 2 cents. Congrats on your new car, it's definitely a fun car to drive.
Old 11-08-2014 | 12:41 PM
Team Owner

^^^ Welcome to AcuraZine-both of you!
Old 11-08-2014 | 02:56 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

I've had my car broken into without signs of forced entry. The bizarre part was they took all the quarters out of my coin holder, but not my portable hard drive and left a cherry tomato in my cup holder. Was probably some kid.

Last edited by 1black_seven; 11-08-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2014 | 10:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EddieOnAZ
Welcome to the forum man!
How's the interior on your car? Got any pics?
No pics of the interior at the moment, but the dash does show the outline of the passenger air bag, which I believe is a common issue with these cars. The center arm rest pad is pretty well worn out as well, even though the car only has 77k miles. There's a few minor chips in the aluminum trim around the center console too. The rest of the interior is clean.

Originally Posted by angolmois
Hi there, I'm sort of a new guy too. Purchased an 07 WDP 6MT about a year ago, did a few things to it but nothing major. One thing I don't regret is the Viper alarm I installed. I purchased the 5904 and installed the smart start module so that I actively receive all triggers wherever I am via text and email whenever there is a security trigger. Along with these I had the tilt sensor and audio sensor installed. I'm sorry to hear about your car being broken into. I would recommend this alarm system to anyone who owns a vehicle they care about. Just my 2 cents. Congrats on your new car, it's definitely a fun car to drive.
Thanks for the recommendation. I live in a not-so-great area just north of Seattle (in fact, within the last week I've seen the cops in front of my apartment building 4 times, including an arrest on Friday morning), so I may consider getting another alarm sometime, but I also might move to a lower crime area once my lease is up.

Originally Posted by 1black_seven
I've had my car broken into without signs of forced entry. The bizarre part was they took all the quarters out of my coin holder, but not my portable hard drive and left a cherry tomato in my cup holder. Was probably some kid.
Interesting. My guy left me a lighter.

I also forgot to mention that my HFL only works about 10% of the time now. It was working when I bought the car, but then a couple weeks later it started cutting out. It progressed downhill pretty quickly after that. Thinking about buying a new module this week, but I'll probably keep the old one and see if I can find something obviously wrong on the circuit boards.
Old 11-10-2014 | 07:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Welcome and congrat.
Old 11-10-2014 | 11:27 AM
Team Owner

Welcome and nice car! Too bad for your crappy luck, but all in all, those two events could have been much worse. Better polish up that horse shoe!
Old 11-10-2014 | 12:17 PM
Alien from Mars

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your hit-n-run accident.. how much did you have to fork out of pocket to get it repaired?
Old 11-11-2014 | 05:48 PM
8th Gear

New guy!

Welcome! I'm also new to this. I'm sorry about your hit n run. I bought my 05 tl last October. It has been a nice ride until I had to replace the engine. I have a few things done to it like fogged headlights and CAI. What's weird is that someone hit me on Halloween night also. Now my tl is in the shop for a while.
Old 11-11-2014 | 10:48 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by corrado85
Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your hit-n-run accident.. how much did you have to fork out of pocket to get it repaired?
The original repair estimate was for $1500 (new bumper cover, repair/paint the fender, misc. labor) but the body shop discovered that the bracket for the driver side headlight assembly is ruined. Plus I think the housing is cracked, or it might have a hole in it. That means the whole assembly needs to get replaced, tacking on another $600 to the bill. Thankfully my deductible is only $300.

Originally Posted by binridge
Welcome! I'm also new to this. I'm sorry about your hit n run. I bought my 05 tl last October. It has been a nice ride until I had to replace the engine. I have a few things done to it like fogged headlights and CAI. What's weird is that someone hit me on Halloween night also. Now my tl is in the shop for a while.
Had to replace the engine? Was it possibly worn out by the previous owner?
Old 11-12-2014 | 04:20 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Ac20TL06ura
The original repair estimate was for $1500 (new bumper cover, repair/paint the fender, misc. labor) but the body shop discovered that the bracket for the driver side headlight assembly is ruined. Plus I think the housing is cracked, or it might have a hole in it. That means the whole assembly needs to get replaced, tacking on another $600 to the bill. Thankfully my deductible is only $300.

Had to replace the engine? Was it possibly worn out by the previous owner?
Yes. Last owner was an idiot. I pick it up from the shop on friday.