3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another minor glove box rattle fix in 10 sec (PICT) (3G TL Garage# F-043)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another minor glove box rattle fix in 10 sec (PICT) (3G TL Garage# F-043)

If this has been addressed previously, I apologize. My glove box has been squeaking like hell lately. When I leave it open, it does not squeak. In addition, I knew that the edges of the box do not rub against other plastic parts. So, I got a small can of silicon spray at a local hardware store and sprayed around all door hinges (I stole this picture from the 3G Garage) incuding anything that was connecting the glove box to the main dash. Now, all those annoying rattle noises are gone. I hope they are gone forever!

Old 11-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Good post. I don't remember seeing this solution, so it may save someone the annoyance of all those rattles.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Ron.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have to try that method.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for tips.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I used Wurth Synthetic spray lubricant, and it did not help my car. I do not think that those hinges are the cause of the buzzing; this is the only remaining buzz/rattle I have been unable to gat a hold of - I suspect that something "unloads" when it is in the closed position that "loads" (tightens) when the box is open. It is likely only accessible from inside, which is what make it is hard to correct. I am going to disassemble the whole system and see what I can find. I know that the intake pollen filter is in that area.

So far, I have 6 felt discs of 1/2" diameter across the front of the panel that covers the lock mechanism. There are also two rubber "nipples" that seat into indentations on the glove box cover. I put felt discs in the indents as well, hoping that that might secure the box, but it did not. That is why I do not think it is a matter of the glovebox rattling against the dash.

Thx for the tip - is it still working in your car?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

RR: Sorry that my remedy did not work for you. Yes, my glove box still has been silent after a couple of shots of slicon spray.

PS) My glove box is terribly misaligned. I thought about asking my dealer to re-align it. But, I completely gave up on asking things like that as I know for sure that they will end up scratching somewhere else in my car. I will just live with it.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Wow, sorry to hear you guys are having all these rattle problems. My question is for Road Rage.....since some TL's have absolutely no rattles..mine included thank heavens....do you think that the base problem with the TL is different assembly crews? Since some of the cars don't have any problems, it seems to me that the basic design is sound..and that the problematic cars aren't assembled properly. If the design of the car was poor, then all of the vehicles produced would have the same problems. My car hasn't had any issues to speak of, and I believe it was manufactured on a Tuesday or Wednesday..and is a fairly early VIN#. I still have butprints, and that's a design problem, but everything else seems to be OK with my car. I'm just curious why some people seem to have endless rattles, and others have none.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Novice
If this has been addressed previously, I apologize. My glove box has been squeaking like hell lately. When I leave it open, it does not squeak. In addition, I knew that the edges of the box do not rub against other plastic parts. So, I got a small can of silicon spray at a local hardware store and sprayed around all door hinges (I stole this picture from the 3G Garage) incuding anything that was connecting the glove box to the main dash. Now, all those annoying rattle noises are gone. I hope they are gone forever!

Thanks for the tip. I sprayed all around my glove box with some "Gunk" brand silicone spray last night. Then gave the box a "massage" back and forth and gently side to side. So far today no rattle to be heard. Hopefully this will continue.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I used Wurth Synthetic spray lubricant, and it did not help my car. I do not think that those hinges are the cause of the buzzing; this is the only remaining buzz/rattle I have been unable to gat a hold of - I suspect that something "unloads" when it is in the closed position that "loads" (tightens) when the box is open. It is likely only accessible from inside, which is what make it is hard to correct. I am going to disassemble the whole system and see what I can find. I know that the intake pollen filter is in that area.

So far, I have 6 felt discs of 1/2" diameter across the front of the panel that covers the lock mechanism. There are also two rubber "nipples" that seat into indentations on the glove box cover. I put felt discs in the indents as well, hoping that that might secure the box, but it did not. That is why I do not think it is a matter of the glovebox rattling against the dash.

Thx for the tip - is it still working in your car?
I posted previously on this, here's what I found my glovebox door problem to be.

There are two plastic 'locator fins' on the frame which project thru two small slits on the liner of the glovebox door (not certain what their function is, I was tempted to just break them off with pliers).

Anyway, I finally tracked down the squeak to be due to one or both of these fins rubbing against the liner of the glovebox door on subtle body motions going over bumps/rough pavement, creating a cricket-like chirp or squeak. Wrapping the fins with a bit of black plastic tape provided enough 'insulation' that their rubbing against the liner no longer produced a squeak.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

buzz

In response to Road Rage's buzz sound - I had that buzz sound and found the source. It is the upper compartment door in the console. When closed it buzzes at 1500 RPM when driving (engine lugging a bit). When the door is open, there is no buzzing. A solution is to put something inside to force the door against the latch, like tissues. However, I'm taking the car in to see if they can lube it. Also have the mysterious little rattle on passenger side, but I'm not convinced it is the glovebox. Maybe the door gasket as described in another thread. The car is too quiet - these noises would get lost in most other noisy cars!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

This has been bothering me quite a bit since day 1. I finally took a very drastic approach and put this issue to rest. Many of you know that Screw#1 gets loose and causes rattles. That's because this thing gets screwed into a plastic mold in the back.

I removed:

1. the glove box (instruction is in the 3G Garage section),
2. removed the surrounding plastic piece (need to detach the cables for the trunk lock and the light in the glove box),
3. Shaved off that stupid plastic piece that holds the screw,
4. bought #10 screw, bolt, and washer.
5. tightened everything to the max,
6. then reinstalled everything backwards.

Nothing rattles now as there are no loose pieces in and out of the glove box.

Sorry, I didn't have a camera with me.

If you are sick and tired of the glove box rattle, do the above.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Will keep in mind in case it rattles in the future
thanx!!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Advanced

u do it by yourself...i asked the acura belevue...and gues what they could not fix it...it's been 3 times...and in the end they will replace the whole glove box
Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, believe it or not, replacing the glove box will make it worse as the screw will chew up the cheezy plastic fastner in the back. I got mine replaced 2 months after I got my car because the box was stuck.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I found the screw#1 was easy to get loose too. I thought my dealer had been fixing my rattle of the glovebox in my last visit, however, it's not. It started to rattle again two weeks ago. I use the bigger size's screw to replace screw#1 for now, it seems to work well.

Perhaps, I should remove that plastic and shave it off in order to get the better fix. Thanks for the hints.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey, rets:

That's exactly the problem! Obviously it is not that hard to do it (took me about 10 min). The housing for the glove box comes off very easily-I just yanked it out.

Just be careful not to scratch your seat with those plastic pieces!!

Now, I hear annoying sqeaking/creaking sound coming from the Navi area (the sound you hear when you push the black plastic parts.

I don't understand ACURA. They could've spent $20 to put padding/felt materials all around the plastic parts to prevent these annoying sounds. I would've gladly pay extra $20.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acurich
There are two plastic 'locator fins' on the frame which project thru two small slits on the liner of the glovebox door (not certain what their function is, I was tempted to just break them off with pliers).

Anyway, I finally tracked down the squeak to be due to one or both of these fins rubbing against the liner of the glovebox door on subtle body motions going over bumps/rough pavement, creating a cricket-like chirp or squeak. Wrapping the fins with a bit of black plastic tape provided enough 'insulation' that their rubbing against the liner no longer produced a squeak.
I too had the rattle. The dealer's "fix" lasted about 3 days and it came back.

I sprayed silicone on a paper napkin and rubbed it on the two 'locator fins'. It didn't make a mess and fixed the problem (going on two weeks now).