Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another example of Acura's crappy paint... PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Another example of Acura's crappy paint... PICS

The WDP match issue is known and documented issue... and I give Acura credit, as that's a difficult problem to solve (matching paint on different surfaces that is)...

but that aside, this is ridiculous.

I'm washing the car yesterday on the first day NOT in the 30 degree range in the passed 2 months, and i find this!

WTF! That's bare metal that's rusting! It's right above the tail light. I self installed my spoiler in May, and the TL-S tails a few weeks ago and this was not there. I'm exceptionally meticulous during installs, and in no way caused this chip. I never use high pressure sprayers either.

The problems looks to have orignated as a poor paint adherence/application on the "seam" right inside the trunk, and no primer applied to that area. moisture worked it's way in and is eating up under the paint.

This sucks, as the spot is almost 1/2 long, and seems like it's a bit too big for touchup paint.

Do you think the dealer is gonna warranty this? I can alread hear how he's gonna say I did the damage with one of my mods.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the exact same thing in the same place except mine hasn't turned to rust yet, i'm sure it will
Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Man, that's way bigger than just a paint chip or scratch. Hopefully they'll warrenty. (They should, but who knows.)
Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
The 7Year/Unlimited (or whatever it is) Rust perforation warranty should totally cover this. don't tell your dealer the spoiler is self installed cause they may try to BS you. Just say that it was done at another acura dealer if they ask which i doubt the will. This should totally be covered under warranty no questions asked.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, dude. That's awful. I'd flip-out (I'm sure you are) if I had that on my car.

Take that f-er back in and get it fixed.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
OMFG... I have the same thing in the same spot. Mine is a bit smaller and it has not rusted, but I do live in AZ so it prob won't rust. I didn't realize this was a common issue on our cars. Maybe I should take mine to the dealer as well.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

That's crazy that all you have this. That's a problem in assembly.

I've been driving on salty Northern Virgina roads for the passed 2 months... which probably accelerates this.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
washing my car yesterday and i had 2 small chip on my hood and my car is only 8 months old =(
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Tone-NBP
washing my car yesterday and i had 2 small chip on my hood and my car is only 8 months old =(
Yah, I have small chips on my hood too. that's normal road damage. This is not.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by geekybiker
Yep... My car is 11 months old. This shit is not a stone chip.
I'm off to the dealer today.

I'll report back.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by geekybiker
bumper i can understand but this is on the very top of the hood close to the windows.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Instructor

wow, i have one very similar in the same exact spot.. but mine looks like a little chip.. not rusted yet
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered P.I.M.P

I'm sure they can tell if its a chip you caused or rusting thats under warranty. I'm sure they will cover it. Don't even mention the spoiler. They don't need to know that.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:49 PM
FOR SALE - BM

I have the exact same problem.. i find it to be on the inside... I have it on both sides of the trunk lid in the corner and on the body.. little knicks... it seems that maybe the trunk must shift a little to the left and right during driving... i don't see how the spoiler would have caused it, but i could see the dealer blaming it on me since i have installed coilovers and the ride is a little bit rougher than stock and probably jolts the trunk somewhat... i have noticed small spots and i use a little touch up paint to take care of it. But it comes back... i do this every 2 months or so...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

I had a small chip of paint come off on the hood of my 07 and that was only after having it for 2 weeks.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Well...

It looks liek they're gonna fix it. I have to wait until the end of the week. Photos are bein emailed to the division rep, but the service manager said, "well, it looks like something hit it, but there's no way that much paint would chip off without leaving a mark in the metal. It looks like the metal in that spot was not properly prepared". I take that to mean he's siding with me.

The n he promptly asked me if I play golf... insinuating a golf club did it.

We'll see.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Losers

I like to play golf too, sometimes I like to play miniture golf in my own trunk.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by Kennedy
What a little bi†ch to throw in that last little question. As long as they fix it, I guess it's all good.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM
All the world's a stage

That's amazing how a lot more people are claiming to have this same paint detereoration at the exact same spot. Hmmm

**runs out to car to check**

Mine seems intact........for now.

After he commented about playing golf, you should've replied:" Yeah, I play golf! I use the crack between my trunk and my rear panel as the tee. Why? You think that may be the problem?"

Focker!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Well...

It looks liek they're gonna fix it. I have to wait until the end of the week. Photos are bein emailed to the division rep, but the service manager said, "well, it looks like something hit it, but there's no way that much paint would chip off without leaving a mark in the metal. It looks like the metal in that spot was not properly prepared". I take that to mean he's siding with me.

We'll see.
The service manager at my local dealership tried asking me a sly question last week when I took in my car to get the driver's leather seat back replaced. The seat back was losing color in one corner. He asks me: "Do you wear a cell phone clip holder on your belt, like I do?"

Reply, "No, I keep my phone in my pocket."
His reply- "oh"

Bastard. Good luck with the fix and hope it comes back better than new.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 PM
My Daily Driver

mine is doing that too, it is a problem with the trunk lid not alligning properly when you close the trunk. Have to take it in yet for that and a massive crack in the drivers seat leather.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

He didn't have a leg to stand on with that fresh Zaino shining like nothing he'd seen before... The car was flawlees when I drove it in (with this issue as the exception) AND the clearbra up front. It was obvious I:

1) Like the TL and don't abuse it.
2) Am quite meticulous.

I has Acura customer service's phone number ready to call if I was anything but less than satisfied.

I'm not buying the trunk alignment thing. Unless you placed a LOT lateral of pressure on the trunk, there's no way it would have made contact there.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Ok so I didnt feel like reading through all the posts, but I take it that it's a common problem on our car to have chips on the corner like that? I noticed it too on my NBP on both corners of the trunk, and on the inside, wehre a peice of plastic seems to be rubbing in the very middle, and i also noticed that when we close the trunk it rubs against the bumper and there are scratches on thebumper too..

do you think acura will warranty this when i take it in for al the warranty work(squeaks)

Mine is an 06 BTW
Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
OH, and i know this is a little off topic but... Do you guys have ripples around your sun roofs too? like around all four corners my roof looks a little dented around the corners...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I don't have the problem on my car but I did meet another TL owner about a year ago that warned me about it. He had the same "rub/interference " between the trunk and the rear fender. On his car you could see that one of the trunk lid's seams was narrower than the other side. Looked just like it would rub as the car flexed. He said his dealer was going to take care of it under warranty.

This was back in Spring 05 that I saw it. I think his car was an 04 but I'm not sure. I've been watching mine back there ever since.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Pro

mine is rustin above the taillights on both sides and on the insides of the trunk lid. booooo
Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comparing the paint of my Acura to the last Toyota I had. Acura has a much better paint... The Toyota had paint chips all over the front and roof at just 2 years old. My TL is about 3 years old and I only have 2 small paint chips.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Pro

compred to my old VW, acura paint it crap haha
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 AM
My Daily Driver

He didn't have a leg to stand on with that fresh Zaino shining like nothing he'd seen before... The car was flawlees when I drove it in (with this issue as the exception) AND the clearbra up front. It was obvious I:

1) Like the TL and don't abuse it.
2) Am quite meticulous.

I has Acura customer service's phone number ready to call if I was anything but less than satisfied.

I'm not buying the trunk alignment thing. Unless you placed a LOT lateral of pressure on the trunk, there's no way it would have made contact there.

I dont know, the guy at the bodyshop I went to slowly closed the trunk and said that it is more than likely that is what caused it. When my trunk closes, it actually does not align properly until it is latched. I though I read it somewhere before on here, but I could be mistaken.

Not saying that is what caused yours, but in mine, it is definitely the case. I have never had anything other than luggage in my trunk.....
Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
wow.. this is surprising.... I will need to check out mine tomorrow...
Old 03-13-2007, 01:07 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
How do you guys close the trunk lid? (looking for a root cause) Do you pull it down from the handle on the under side or do you push it down from the top side? Mine has not experienced this problem at all yet...and I am also in salty conditions. (crosses fingers) BUT, I ALWAYS use the little inset handle to close the trunk...and I use my trunk for shipping boxes twice daily....so it is opened and closed several times daily.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint coming off????? Damn! And a lot of you are saying this too! I gotta go check this out first thing in the morning! I close my trunk with the grip space in the trunk liner. How come Kennedy is the only one getting his fixed? Who else has asked Acura about this?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Pro

i was goin to get it fixed but acura said i loose the value on my car, they said to leave it.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by jdmitr22
i was goin to get it fixed but acura said i loose the value on my car, they said to leave it.
What? chipped rusty spot cause your car to loose value. Of course they said that that though, these repairs are expensive. My service manager estimated this repair to be over $500 in labor)... Body work ain't cheap, which is why they're so particular about honoring claims.

They're using the old "it's been in an accident, therefore your car is devalued"... BS. Get an invoice for "warranty paint repair due to paint defect". If the paintline is detected at trade/sale and they allege the "car was in a wreck" pull that paperwork out.

That's my plan anyway...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
My Daily Driver

michael, I only use the handle as well, but you can actually see the trunk shift when it closes....very strange....
Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dude...go back and try to trade the car in and see what they tell you then in a different conversation. This dealer is full of it and must have thought you were a . Go back and get shitty with em after they low-ball you on your trade due to the chip and rust....at that time might be a good time to ask them to define loss of value....
Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its quite possible its not from closing, but from hitting it under flex. As the car cornors, the body will flex and the trunk is hitting where the paint is shipping. Just a thought. Jason
Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tone-NBP

One of the first things I did was install a Clearbra. As a matter of fact I did the entire front end with a Clearbra. Works Great!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Its quite possible its not from closing, but from hitting it under flex. As the car cornors, the body will flex and the trunk is hitting where the paint is shipping. Just a thought. Jason
I guess my only response to that is I'm not seeing any indication of "impact" on the other side of the chips. There are no matching chips (or marks for that matter) on the opposing edge of the trunk, so I don't see how contact is happening.

I honestly think thiese issues are due to poor quality paint prep.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Godfather of Chrome

That's like the stupidest thing I've ever read right there.

A car with chipped paint and exposed metal is worth less than that same car with good paint without chips would be. How on EARTH could your car lose value by getting that repaired?

That, quite simply, doesn't make any sense at all.

Quick Reply: Another example of Acura's crappy paint... PICS