Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Dead Transmision

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Another Dead Transmision

Driving on the highway, no problems at all for the first couple hours of the trip, then leaving a toll booth up a slight grade, felt like going over rumble strips any time I pressed the gas once it went into 5th. Switched to SS mode and drove in 4th with no problems for a while and then tried going back into 5th and it was like going into nuetral. Drove the rest of the way there avoiding 5th, then when I went to head home, realized that reverse was gone too (Do reverse and 5th share a clutch??). Had to rev close to 4k to back out of a flat parking spot.

Anyways, threw a couple bottles of Lukas stop slip in it (That stuff is like syrup compared to standard fluid) and I can at least back up in reverse if I am gentle on the throttle and by using SS mode I can avoid 5th and get where I need to go (5th still slips with anything other than very light throttle). Looks like the best deal I can find for replacement is 2800 bucks for a remanufactured tranny with a 3yr 100k warranty through and indy shop (don't want to go used). Dealer wants over $4k and will show no good will even though my first service at 75k miles, according to them, was unecessary and not due till 120k miles.

04 TL w/106,000 miles. Had dealer do a 1x3 with Honda fluid when i bought the car @ 75k. I had then done a 3X3 with redline as per the threads on here with 1 being all F, 2 being lightwight and F and 3 being F, lightweight and D4. That was done around 80k miles along with the pressure switches. I have been doing a 1x3 with 1qt F, 1 1qt Lightweight, and 1qt D4 with every oil change since.

Take it for what it's worth, just thought I'd share...

So in the last 25k miles with the car (a little over a year), I have now replaced a stuck brake caliper, had the AC system cleaned twice (musty smell still there), had the wind deflector for the sun roof replaced (excessive vibration at speed), the blue tooth stop working, the memory seats stop working, the climate control module failed, and the starter was replaced. If I hadn't just had the timing belt, waterpump and spark plugs replaced, I can tell you the tranny would have been the last straw. All I can hope for now is that there isn't much else left to go wrong with this thing...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:34 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I feel your pain. I had my transmission go out on me as well. I got lucky and my dealer paid for half the cost of a new one. Sounds like you have had it rough with all the issues. I have had quite a few myself but I just fix them and move on.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Im on the same boat, i bought the car 2 months ago and so far ive changed an O2 sensor, had an electrical short that caused my #13 fuse to pop and require me to manually unlock my shifter everytime i got in the car, my passenger front door ajar keeps coming on and ive searched the forums and tried all the fixes and still no dice, started getting some power steering whine so i replaced the o ring and resealed the power steering pump and now i need a $1500 steering rack. In the 2 months that ive owned the car ive driven it for about a month, the other month its been in and out of shops. Oh and ofcoarse i know sooner or later i will have tranny problems so im just waiting on that. Believe it or not i love the car it just looks so good after a nice hand wash. Its a love/hate relationship...

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 08-16-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I suggest changing out the external filter along with proper flushing the tranny, not just the 3x3.

the 3x3 method is not a proven method because you're still mixing old fluid. The proper way is to flush it.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by profuse007
I suggest changing out the external filter along with proper flushing the tranny, not just the 3x3.

the 3x3 method is not a proven method because you're still mixing old fluid. The proper way is to flush it.
It is recommended method by Acura technicians.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Not a good idea to flush honda automatics.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by profuse007

A drain and fill is the proven way. The percentage of new to old fluid with each drain and fill has been posted many times. After 3 drain and refills you're close enough to new fluid. That's why we do a 3x3 and not a 3x1.

The only other way to do it is to pull one of the cooler lines (if you have cooler lines) and stick the outlet line in a 5 gallon bucket. Drain and refill the transmission, start the engine, and fill the transmission at the same rate its pumping fluid out of the cooler line. All at once the fluid coming out of the line will go from dark to red and you're done. Old and new fluid do not get mixed during this process.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You just defined "flush". I'm not sure what you all think when you hear flush; hooking it up to a machine?

The 3x3 is not the best method and the typical flush method is the way to go. However, it's better than 3x1 (3qtx1time) that honda typical recommends.

My method is to hook a line to the banjo bolt at the external filter on 04-06 TL and do the drain/fill every 2qts. This method is not new, and has been used over decades.
Originally Posted by I hate cars

The only other way to do it is to pull one of the cooler lines (if you have cooler lines) and stick the outlet line in a 5 gallon bucket. Drain and refill the transmission, start the engine, and fill the transmission at the same rate its pumping fluid out of the cooler line. All at once the fluid coming out of the line will go from dark to red and you're done. Old and new fluid do not get mixed during this process.

Last edited by profuse007; 08-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Agreed it is a flush but when you hear the word flush from a mechanic its usually a power flush which is a no no. I use short intervals so I just do a single drain and fill most of the time. When I changed the black factory fluid at about 20k I did a flush. The drain and fill is just simple, less to screw up.