Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Dead TL Battery - 2 Weeks Old!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Dead TL Battery - 2 Weeks Old!

I have a new (purchased 5/31/06) TL that had about 350 miles on the car. It does not have navigation.

I left for vacation on Sunday June 11 and returned Early Saturday June 17. We took the van to the airport, so the TL sat in the garage for the duration. That afternoon I went to start the car and nothing - nada - no interior lights when the door was opened - completely dead. I checked to make sure no doors were left open (or not shut tight) which could have allowed the interior lights to stay in the "on" mode.

I was unable to get to the car for jump starting until Sunday morning (yesterday). It started immediately when jumped from my 04 Odyssey. I then checked to see if my son had left on the rear courtesy light - nope, and the interior light switch was in the middle position (on with doors), and it was.

I let the car run for a while and drove it over one hour this weekend. No problems this morning, but the battery indicator was still "dark", not green. This would indicate the battery was not fully charged or has a problem.

I dropped it off the the dealer over lunch today and they said the battery checked out fine and they did not measure any draw from the battery when it was not running (don't know how they do that). It read like 539 CCA and over 12 volts (I don't remember the exact number).

I asked then to explain to me why a car would be dead after sitting 6 days and they started talking about the draw with the electronics when it was not used, etc. I basically said that if that was the case that I wanted my money back for the car because I take frequent business trips where the car would sit at the airport for several days at a time and I could not come back to a dead battery every time I returned!

I have owned several Honda and Acura products and never had a problem leaving them at the airport for several days, even in the middle of winter when it gets below zero.

They now have my car and are running additional tests on the battery and testing for draw over a period of a coupld of days to see if they can find a problem.

I think I just have a bum battery - but I will respond after I find out what they discover, if anything.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Dr. Feelgood

IMO it must be the battery. I've never had a problem with starting my car after it has sat in the garage for 7 days. This is even before the TSB on the navi came out.
It is a possiblility that something in your care is not connected properly at the factory and is draining your battery. This has happened to my friend's 240sx a few years ago.
Good luck. I hope they fix the problem.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Undercover Slacker

i want to say battery too. i bought a tsx, and about a month later, i started getting 'buzzing' from my steering column and it took multiple tries before i would be able to start the car. it didn't happen everytime but once every other week. i took it to the dealer and told them and they said my battery failed a load test. battery replaced and no problems yet.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Racer

The car I had before my TL, a 2000 VW Jetta GLX, died on the road the same day I drove it out of the dealership. Then it would not start...everything completely dead. It turned out that it had a defective alternator. They replaced the alternator and low and behold it turned out to be one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned after that initial problem. In fact, I sold it to my niece and she is still driving the car and it's still going strong. I had 2 other Jettas before that car and neither of them turned out to be as good as the 2000. So you just never know....a brand new car can have a defective part but when that is taken care of it might be the only thing that will ever go wrong with it.