Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angel eye question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Another one bites the dusta!

On the other hand, mine is still perfect, of course, I didn't buy from Umnitza!

Simon from USR had a perfect explanation on flickering LEDs when I talked to him before. He explained to me on why it happens and what prevents it from happening. Someone should give him a call, I forgot what he told me.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^lol champ...i love how you always have an explanation for something but never actually tell us what it is.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:46 PM

^haha i know. I tend to not remember things well
Old 08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
short term memory loss, must be smoking too much
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by lucnex
short term memory loss, must be smoking too much
Amen.

Side note: I know you all are pissed, I would be too. But the immature comments are no fun for anyone. I'm sure for every 1 bad halo we have found on here there are tons running just fine. He also came in here, took the beating well, and was willing to figure this out. Should account for something...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Another one bites the dusta!

On the other hand, mine is still perfect, of course, I didn't buy from Umnitza!

Simon from USR had a perfect explanation on flickering LEDs when I talked to him before. He explained to me on why it happens and what prevents it from happening. Someone should give him a call, I forgot what he told me.
getting TOOO COMFORTABLE BRO LOL
don't jinx your luck haha
Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
BANNED

Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 PM

well hopefully someone figures out something to fix this! Its not so much a problem about getting the lights replaced from the vendors since they all offer lifetime warranties, its just their failure rates seems abnormally high. I wish those who have working Halos would chime in, but it tends to be only those with the problem are the ones who are heard...

Shit I dont even have my halos hooked up yet, they are installed in my lights, just not connected to a power source....I refuse to work outside until it gets belor 90 degrees with heat index
Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Anyone ever taken a stroll over to some bimmer forums to see if they have the same failure rates there? I have a feeling they don't. Which sucks in a way too.
Almost nothing on failures. Most of the traffic is about upgrading to the new style versions.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Boyhamdzui check the Texas regional board and join us at our tri city meet and we can check the problem
solicitation?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
il be removing my halos soon. USR is replacing them with new ones but i dont think il be installing them again.

i guess this is natures way of saying "If you want Angel Eyes, go get a beamer"
Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm going to go through Rich at HID Illusionz for a new set of angel eyes. Seems like he's already done a TL.

http://hidillusionz.blogspot.com/2011/07/acura-tl-led-angel-eyes-headlights.html
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Race Director

So why would the same exact product not have near the amount of failures on a different car? Makes me wonder you know...
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
So why would the same exact product not have near the amount of failures on a different car? Makes me wonder you know...
Actually, come to think of it, the first set I ever did of that iteration that nate posted was in June 2009 and I just checked with the owner and they are still running fine. That product is completely different than Orion or the USR LED based halos.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&postcount=422

Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 PM

^^ now you tell us lol
Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Race Director

How do we know that? If you go to umnitza's website, they have Orion v2 for bimmers as well...

Are you saying it's really a different product?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:00 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lucnex
^^ now you tell us lol

I know

And to think that I had to get those halos from Korea back in 2009 only because they hadnt made to state side back then, the only issue that some people might run into with these SMD based halos is that the color might be off as the manufacturers use different bins at time from different manufacturing lots hence leading to a chance of having one halo slightly whiter/bluer than the other.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

How do we know that? If you go to umnitza's website, they have Orion v2 for bimmers as well...

Are you saying it's really a different product?
I think that question can only be answered by Umnitza, I thought we were talking about the SMD based halos that nate posted.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Race Director

Oh. Lol. My bad!

I just want to know if these v2 orions are failing on BMWs like they are here for us.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

I don't see why they wouldn't be failing for BMW, unless they're favoried to a particular type and have a high quality product
Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Originally Posted by JnC
Actually, come to think of it, the first set I ever did of that iteration that nate posted was in June 2009 and I just checked with the owner and they are still running fine. That product is completely different than Orion or the USR LED based halos.
I'm surprised you haven't offered this service to the community here, they look like they turned out pretty well
Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think BMW is where the angel eyes come from so they should different from non-halos cars. We need modification but BMW just simply plug and play ( change the OEM to after market ) .
Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 PM

The LED angel eyes problems are most likely failing from not installing them correctly to a power source.

LEDs last longer and has less heat consumption. Only ideal conclusion would be the quality of the built or the connection to the power source is loosening through driving which could lead to a power surge.

I doubt it's the manufacturer problem tbh.

I bet if JNC installed them and the headlights to the car, there would be 0 problems.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by boyhamdzui
I think BMW is where the angel eyes come from so they should different from non-halos cars. We need modification but BMW just simply plug and play ( change the OEM to after market ) .
The LED angel eyes problems are most likely failing from not installing them correctly to a power source.

LEDs last longer and has less heat consumption. Only ideal conclusion would be the quality of the built or the connection to the power source is loosening through driving which could lead to a power surge.

I bet if JNC installed them and the headlights to the car, there would be 0 problems.
This is why I brought it up. I mean, I hate to rain on people parades but to me there has to be something going on here that has to do with either how our cars are or how we have to install them.

I know there are failures here on cars that JnC did himself but I don't think he actually did the power wiring, just the headlight stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

how can it be the way people are installing it when we are following umnitzas directions...acktl told me 5 out of his 7 customers complained about the same problem months later and he wired them too
Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC
I take the connectors off of the two wires, feed them through the two small holes drilled on top of the headlights and feed them through the holes and then leave them out so that the owner can connect to the wires and supply power to the halos.

The connectors get taken off so I dont have to drill a huge hole in the headlight in order to feed the wires through with the connectors on them, a small hole suffices if you take the connectors off.

I still need to be explained to as to how taken the connector off of the power supply wires will ONLY affect one halo, partially, and not the other .

here is a picture of the kit

snip snip take the connectors off and only one halo would go bad?????

I have been very professional responding to this thread to make sure I dont come off bias towards any ones products but it seems like you are blaming my workmanship for the issue rather than the product itself. If my workmanship was the issue then I do need explanation as to why there are tons of people in this thread having the same issue that installed the halos them self or through another installer?
I agree with this whole statement. A connection is a connection, how can a snipped connector cause this problem? Other then mounting these halos in the headlight, the installer shouldn't be blamed at all. Its in the wiring or the actual LEDs. Lets say LEDs are supposed to be built strong, what LEDs are you using? I have seen cheap EBAY LEDs last 3 days and some last years. Maybe your supplier of LEDs is getting them through a cheap vendor and is undercutting longitivtiy. When a customer asks for LED strips, I don't even sell them or recommend them because I never had a good vendor that has an LED strip that lasts.

I am just looking for a solution here because out of all my customers for the last 3+ years that got my custom headlights, you have replaced the Halos for free of charge and helped them out (problem being they're car is yet out of commission again). BUT, this is something that I agree with you that some other companies may not help out and this is one reason why I don't buy things off EBAY because the one time I bought a roof spoiler, it came in a different color and they kept promising me a refund, but waited until the month period of time was over that I can leave them negative feedback and stopped answering me. Same thing with these EBAY vendors stealing my custom tail light pictures and ignoring me and asking me to prove that it was my picture...(He told me a forum member sent it to him, but refused to remove it unless I had proof). I had one customer buy the USR tail lights when I did they're headlights and the tail lights leaked. He asked them for a solution and they said to throw it in the oven for 5 minutes at 200*. This WOULD melt the tail light. My point is that you back up your product and I like that, but the rate of failure is just too high and needs to be addressed.

I had failure from members that wired them over 5+ different ways so it can't be just the wiring.

Originally Posted by jptl04
so yesterday im driving and its getting dark and my headlights turn on. i come to a stoplight im behind a car and can see in the reflection my driver side halo is only lit up halfway! im like shit! (i have the orion V2 halos)

i get home, im in my driveway and get out. i turn the headlights off then on. look at the halo its all lit up im like cool, just a fluke or something. i sit there for like a minute and the damn thing starts flickering, then half of the ring turns off then starts flickering on and off but really dim. i thought leds were supposed to last. wtf!

so i get online and read this thread. lame! my halos were installed super clean and i know i did the wiring right. ive had these for a while now. i dont have the energy to remove the headlights and open them up right now. but i will go to the garage sometime today and disconnect these POS leds. i cant roll like that!

umnitza strikes again!
You know your stuff, so this proves the point that wiring can't just be the only issue, or issue at all.

To be honest, power is power if its the right source and LEDs are low voltage bulbs that should last a very long time. I wouldn't wiring it to the parking lights though because they blink and for others, NEVER wiring your HID fog lights or such to parking lights.

Originally Posted by mrlal8
how can it be the way people are installing it when we are following umnitzas directions...acktl told me 5 out of his 7 customers complained about the same problem months later and he wired them too
This is true, but as said before, unlike most other companies out there (even you can agree) that they stand behind their products. The problem with this is that longitivtiy isn't there. Yes you stand behind your products but I had one customer (eric from CA) that is sending in his headlights now for the third time to fix and I am the one sending him a temperately headlight which means its affecting my sales and his pockets paying $60 each time for the headlights to be sent back and forth. Yes, I don't have to do this, but I help out anyone in anyway I can possible.

Last edited by AckTL05; 08-04-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 PM

I usually agree but come on now. I could make an angel eyes if I wanted too. It is not hard. LEDs are LEDs, there is really no such thing as real quality with something so simple. Almost the difference between buying a Dell/Alienware computer between building one yourself. Same quality, different price tag.

It is the connection. Only thing that makes sense. JNC wired the TSX guys angel eyes completely and it is still working. What does that tell us?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
BMW 535i

Agree that it's not wiring or set up problems. I got problem in less than 7 days. I swap boxes , switch wire but still exactly the same rings got problem. A few days ago, I even changed the way I wire the halos ( don't tell me that because I already broke the halos ).

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 08-04-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Since you have it out, why don't you just get them replaced?

Maybe the setup problem when you installed was incorrect so now it damaged the LED?

/end hangover off day
Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
BMW 535i

I definitely replace them but umnitza stop emailing me somehow. I will do something with the replacement but not gonna put them back in my headlight anymore. After wasting $180, I realize that our TL already has a really nice headlight .
Old 08-10-2011, 05:21 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&postcount=422

Does this company not make them for our cars? Or can we not use the TSX ones?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Raj DONT DO IT BRO lol
Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Race Director

I pulled into the garage today for the first time in a while. My right halo is out. Is it likely a loose connection? I hope so. Lol
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Does this company not make them for our cars? Or can we not use the TSX ones?
These are generic diameter halos i.e they come in 40mm, 50mm, 60mm, 70mm etc diameters. The above shown on is on a 04-06 TL bezel and not TSX. I believe the ones I used were 70 mm, I could be wrong as that was a while ago.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jptl04
so yesterday im driving and its getting dark and my headlights turn on. i come to a stoplight im behind a car and can see in the reflection my driver side halo is only lit up halfway! im like shit! (i have the orion V2 halos)

i get home, im in my driveway and get out. i turn the headlights off then on. look at the halo its all lit up im like cool, just a fluke or something. i sit there for like a minute and the damn thing starts flickering, then half of the ring turns off then starts flickering on and off but really dim. i thought leds were supposed to last. wtf!

so i get online and read this thread. lame! my halos were installed super clean and i know i did the wiring right. ive had these for a while now. i dont have the energy to remove the headlights and open them up right now. but i will go to the garage sometime today and disconnect these POS leds. i cant roll like that!

umnitza strikes again!
Thank god for this thread!!! I thought i was the only one i had the same problem with my driver side halo they are Orion V2's and i started having the problem 2 months after instillation and i notified umnitza and they told me to check what it could be. So i tried swapping around those little black rubber wrapped ballasts and figured that was the problem because it worked so they sent me 2 new plastic white ballasts and i plug them in and same shit is happening turns out when i tested them for a couple seconds it worked but if i had waited it would of gone of like before! So then i told them that its still wont work and they told me to send the halo back and i really had no time to take the halo out so then i asked them if i can buy just one from them and we agreed on one halo for $35 shipped and i sent the money and the next week and a half i get the wrong halos, i got 2 bmw halos that are way to big and completely wrong off. So being calm about it i told them you sent me the wrong ones they told me to send a picture so i did and they told me to send them back so i did and shipped them away!! I emailed them and told them when they'd be coming and it had been 2 weeks pasts couple days later a reply saying= "they will be shipped as soon as they come out of customs" now its been 2 more months and counting NO FUCKLIN REPLIES to my emails at all they just keep ignoring me and basically beat me for 35 dollars and shipping charges.....complete BULLSHIT!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the same problems as all of you...

Got the halos from USR and sent to AckTL05 to do the install. My local auto tech installed the lights into the car, not sure if wired into the parking lights (seems that *might* be the problem?).

Absolutely love the way they look (when they work!), but its driving me freakin nuts when they don't, which is more and more often now.

Sent email to USR almost 2 weeks ago asking for resolution since they're on lifetime warranty but struggling to get a response. Hoping that these can be fixed without pulling the headlight apart!!

So is the consensus that it needs to be wired a certain way in order to work all the time? And not into the parking light power supply?

Appreciate this thread!!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
BANNED

^nobody really knows. a lot of us have these wired all types of different ways and we are all having issues with them.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
SOLVED IT BOYS!!! WATCH THE VIDEOS https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/orion-v2-flickering-problem-fixed-2-video-diy-831218/
its not the way you wired them its the halos connection inside that is not connected properly you must open and re-sauter! Works for Umnitza orion V2!
The following users liked this post:
NBP-UA6 (08-31-2011)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Race Director

Bumping an old thread...

I'm about to redo my headlights, for the third and hopefully last time, and ordered a new set of CFFL angel eyes from TRS. However, I've been looking at the new morimoto xbALed units and I think I want to jump to LED.

Has anyone here used the newish Morimoto units? What size TRULY fits best? 70mm or 80mm? With the 80mm LED units, is the outer dimension to large to fit in the headlight? With the 70mm, how much projector light is blocked?

Calling JnC!

And yes Justn, I searched.... :P
The following users liked this post:
JnC (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 AM
BANNED

^

CCFL

Quick Reply: Angel eye question