10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where i can get the real ones?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by umnitza
No, they use NO INVERTER.
They use a power controller box that is the logic behind the rings.

Having said that, please be very careful with the rings. The rings have a wiring system that is a little more touchy than the standard rings due to their size.

These rings are FAR smaller and the wiring has to be more delicate. 9 out of 10 failed rings we've received here have all had their wire pulled too hard and the solder came apart.
power controller box. where is that located in reference to the rings themselves? i swear mine just have 2 leads (+and-) they go from each ring to a dedicated switch. everything worked fine for months...then i started having problems. i never changed anything, they just started acting up on their own.

wiring was done with precise care, so i don't think my wiring could be off. i can stand there and watch half of the ring lit up, and watch the other half flicker and try and light. sometimes it WILL light up fully, and then shortly after fade back out.

what would you recommend i do? take the bumper off, pull the headlights out, and check every connection? need more info on this power controller box as well...i honestly never remember seeing one and i bought the orion v2's straight from umnitza.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^I think what umnitza is trying to say is that the odds of an actual "bad" ring are very low. It's far more likely that during handling and or install, a wire was pulled too hard and the solder point became weak. I'd agree. It's either what's supplying it power or a loose connection.

And if I had to guess about which wire is he saying comes loose, I'd say it's the smallest one that plugs into the back of the halo. So if that came loose, good luck, I think you'll have to take apart the headlights to get to it.

As for the power controller box, the only thing I see is that relay (assuming the harness I linked is correct). Unless there is a small logic board on the back of the actual halos.

I'll say this, I have there other kit. Ordered directly from their website. I am very happy with the actual rings. But within a week of driving the inverter that came with it failed. I replaced them with a completely silicone sealed unit and they have been going strong for 15-18 months now.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
I find it very hard to believe all of these members have been having problems with the halos and that the installation of the lights is causing the issue.

If anyone knows how to install these things its JnC, and if he is saying their reliability is a 4/10 then thats a manufacturing problem it seems to me.

Sharksbreath: My halos are exactly like yours, just two wires +- coming from each. JnC says you can purchase the harness on their website for 15 dollars, maybe that will help solve your flickering issue. He recommended hooking up the harness to an independent switch like you already have for the best results.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
^I think what umnitza is trying to say is that the odds of an actual "bad" ring are very low. It's far more likely that during handling and or install, a wire was pulled too hard and the solder point became weak. I'd agree. It's either what's supplying it power or a loose connection.

And if I had to guess about which wire is he saying comes loose, I'd say it's the smallest one that plugs into the back of the halo. So if that came loose, good luck, I think you'll have to take apart the headlights to get to it.

As for the power controller box, the only thing I see is that relay (assuming the harness I linked is correct). Unless there is a small logic board on the back of the actual halos.

I'll say this, I have there other kit. Ordered directly from their website. I am very happy with the actual rings. But within a week of driving the inverter that came with it failed. I replaced them with a completely silicone sealed unit and they have been going strong for 15-18 months now.
yeah the more i've thought about it...there is no box/relay/anything. just the wires coming straight out of the rings. where did you get your inverter? linky?

and i REALLY hope it's not the actual wires coming from the back of the rings from inside the headlight. that would blow...

Originally Posted by lucnex
I find it very hard to believe all of these members have been having problems with the halos and that the installation of the lights is causing the issue.

If anyone knows how to install these things its JnC, and if he is saying their reliability is a 4/10 then thats a manufacturing problem it seems to me.

Sharksbreath: My halos are exactly like yours, just two wires +- coming from each. JnC says you can purchase the harness on their website for 15 dollars, maybe that will help solve your flickering issue. He recommended hooking up the harness to an independent switch like you already have for the best results.
agreed. i thought JnC said reliabitly was 8/10 for the umnitza V2's if using a dedicated switch?

linky to harness? i'm willing to try anything at this point. i'm still going to take everything out and make sure connections are solid. i used posi-locks on everything...maybe i should just solder and call it a day if nothing else works.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Race Director

It should have come with the harness.

http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1340

Product Description (may describe some optional equipment) :
  • 4 Orion V2 halos
  • 1 full wiring harness
  • Lifetime Warranty
  • Online Instructions
  • All Hardware and Installation Included
And I have the Thinlines not the Orions. Mine aren't LED, so they need a different power source. So you don't need inverters at all.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:17 AM
BANNED

^interesting. *note the 'optional equipment' part tho*

i sent my lights to JnC...i never even opened the halo box so i'm not sure if they included a wiring harness. is it possible that the wiring harness was placed inside the headlight? bc i def don't have a harness that i can visibly see. i mean, where else would this harness be? def not outside the headlights on my end.

i guess i'll need to email umnitza and see if that harness is "optional" and not included with sale...and PM JnC and see if he did install this piece somewhere.

thanks for the help man.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Race Director

To be honest I would trust JnC. He probably had you wire them up differently. Which I don't think is a bad thing. But if you wired straight into a random power source, the issues with half on, on, off, may be because the source is irregular or not consistent.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM

^^ I just talked to JnC yesterday about this. The ones he installed do not have a harness. He told me you can buy it online for 15 dollars or go to an audio shop or best buy. He said if you hook the harness up to a switch then you get the 8/10 reliability he was talking about in an earlier post. I think thats what his halos are only 125 from his vendor, most likely cause there is no harness included with the kit. The harness is pretty standard the more I look at it....very similar to the one with the accord fogs....anything with a fuse and a relay should do the trick

Then again if you bought the Halos yourself chances are it came with a harness? Not sure on this one....
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Race Director

fuse + relay + separate switch = win
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM
BANNED

anyone have a good link of what i should buy?

i have these wired to an add-a-fuse on slot#32 and then wired directly to a rocker switch.

what else do i need here? get beefier fuses? upgrade from 10-20?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wirin...Q5fAccessories

shits expensive....
Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
BANNED

ooof...yeah no thanks haha.

i'll figure out a different way. there must be a different way to get this done right.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So umnitza show up and explain individual ring is "bad" :shakehead. It's time to take off the headlight again .

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 07-26-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

i looked up the orion V2s online and lightwurkz is the online distributor and they took out the bullet point about them coming with the harness. I found it online here for less:

http://www.eurokoncepts.com/Wiring-H...-Kit_p_11.html

and here

http://www.bimmian.com/page.htm?page...als&width=1440
Old 07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NMG-4
where i can get the real ones?
From either Lightwurkz or Umnitza.

Here's the link:

Further, we highly encourage people to avoid CCFL in general. While the past it was the best solution, it is relatively obsolete at this point.

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
power controller box. where is that located in reference to the rings themselves? i swear mine just have 2 leads (+and-) they go from each ring to a dedicated switch. everything worked fine for months...then i started having problems. i never changed anything, they just started acting up on their own.

This would indicate that you are eligible for a warranty. Operation for months and then a failure means something is faulty with the ring.

wiring was done with precise care, so i don't think my wiring could be off. i can stand there and watch half of the ring lit up, and watch the other half flicker and try and light. sometimes it WILL light up fully, and then shortly after fade back out.

what would you recommend i do? take the bumper off, pull the headlights out, and check every connection? need more info on this power controller box as well...i honestly never remember seeing one and i bought the orion v2's straight from umnitza.
Because you bought this straight through us, all you have to do is email us your receipt. It doesn't matter when you purchased, we'll send you a new ring, no questions asked and no payment to us for anything (including shipping and handling). If you have already emailed us, please allow 24-48 hours to reply/confirm/ship the warranty.

That is exactly correct. A ring is not bad out of the box. Look at what we subject the rings to, it's highly unlikely anything will fail. Now, that doesn't mean we can't have a failure over time, it's just highly unlikely.

We do recommend you test the rings, if they are working fine when you install them, then it's fine.

Another very good and accurate diagnosis. Are you sure you don't work for us already and you're masquerading as a forum poster

Yet again, spot on...almost. There is a small logic board, it's designed to control current/voltage/power to the rings and manage their longevity through those regulations

here's a picture of the controller box for the rings.
THIS IS NOT AN INVERTER!!!

"All these members" is pretty broad. There are about 3, maybe up to 5 members out of nearly 200+ sold units. Now we have not had the time to isolate several issues:
1) What is your lot number? This is listed on box you have received.
2) When did you install them?
3) How long after install did you experience the issue? If it's immediately, then it's likely an install issue.

Let's not run and cry fire in a crowded theater just yet

As for the harness, the harness is included with our kits - if you didn't get one, you either a) didn't want one b) were upgrading from another kit c) may have purchased them second hand OR through LightWurkz (they don't always sell them with harness <-- not a bad thing)

It should have come with the harness.

And I have the Thinlines not the Orions. Mine aren't LED, so they need a different power source. So you don't need inverters at all.
Yours are CCFL based, correct again.

^interesting. *note the 'optional equipment' part tho*

i sent my lights to JnC...i never even opened the halo box so i'm not sure if they included a wiring harness. is it possible that the wiring harness was placed inside the headlight?

It was, just open your high beam cap and feel around, you'll likely feel the black box.

bc i def don't have a harness that i can visibly see. i mean, where else would this harness be? def not outside the headlights on my end.

You don't usually need one on Japanese cars. Japanese cars have 12V parking light triggers, so you can just wire directly to that circuit vs the more - much more - complex wiring of the harness.

i guess i'll need to email umnitza and see if that harness is "optional" and not included with sale...and PM JnC and see if he did install this piece somewhere.

thanks for the help man.
The harness would be very obvious, you would have to be the one to install it, not the installer. Further, if we have enough people interested, we can do the install for 5+ people for $75 + return shipping.

To be honest I would trust JnC. He probably had you wire them up differently. Which I don't think is a bad thing. But if you wired straight into a random power source, the issues with half on, on, off, may be because the source is irregular or not consistent.
Along these same lines, as the manufacturer and provider of these rings, we are intimately aware of the rings and their capability. To date, we've had 2 rings fail after we have installed them at our facility. That's ALL the rings, not the rings for the Acura.

anyone have a good link of what i should buy?
i have these wired to an add-a-fuse on slot#32 and then wired directly to a rocker switch.

what else do i need here? get beefier fuses? upgrade from 10-20?
Please check out the information provided to you above about your own kit.

Originally Posted by boyhamdzui
So umnitza show up and explain individual ring is "bad" :shakehead. It's time to take off the headlight again .
No product is perfect, we really believe and have the experience and overall proof to back up our claim that our product is nearly so. But even a sewing machine can break, and they are among the most reliable machines ever built.

i looked up the orion V2s online and lightwurkz is the online distributor and they took out the bullet point about them coming with the harness. I found it online here for less:
$19.99
http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1230
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM

^^ I got mine through our headlight vendor here JnC so maybe he got them through lightwurkz...i dunno...

I searched your site for like an hour and could not find a link for the harness....may be something you want to include...

I followed your instructions and sent an email for this ("fastest response time") and still got an answer on here before the email.....liars!!!!!

next time I need a question answered i will have to start a thread bashing umnitza for something...fast responses ftw
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Race Director

Hey just trying to help from experience umnitza. Lol

I assume since leds are more digitally based that you needed something better to control them? As opposed to the ccfl which pretty much just need a simple consistent source of power?

Thanks for clearing this up for everyone.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

^^ I got mine through our headlight vendor here JnC so maybe he got them through lightwurkz...i dunno...

Probably

I searched your site for like an hour and could not find a link for the harness....may be something you want to include...
Search and Advanced Search are available, though they do call up a lot products.

I followed your instructions and sent an email for this ("fastest response time") and still got an answer on here before the email.....liars!!!!!

If you do not use the online form, it may be lost in spam. If you sent it within the last 4 hours, we are going through emails one by one, and I do not handle emails. That's Anthony's job and he goes as quickly as possible. You may be joking with the last comment but it's a little over the top...imo...always get more bees with honey

next time I need a question answered i will have to start a thread bashing umnitza for something...fast responses ftw
Or not...

Hey just trying to help from experience umnitza. Lol

I assume since leds are more digitally based that you needed something better to control them? As opposed to the ccfl which pretty much just need a simple consistent source of power?

Thanks for clearing this up for everyone.
On another note, you're hired as our AcuraZine spokesperson - the pay sucks (there isn't any), the hours suck (you browse all the time), and you don't get any rewards for number of posts - BUT, you have self-esteem building thanks from people you teach when posting <-- J/K

CCFL is basically phosphor and mercury along with some other energy, a good power shot of electricity and they are usually ok...until those gases a) evaporate through tiny stress cracks or b) the mercury just clumps together and refuses to energize further.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
[QUOTE=umnitza;13117011]We were linked to this thread from another vendor - LightWurkz.

On a side note, we are aware (have been aware now for 3 months) that a competitor is copying our product. There are several key issues we've seen regarding that product that is advertised.
1) it has no warranty compared to ours
2) it uses inferior finish on the rings, with poorer quality LED
3) it uses fewer LED in the ring
4) they did do something perfect, they copied our controller boxes so perfectly, we filed patent infringement papers with a C&D effective July 10th.
5) on web pictures, they look very similar (down to the colors selected for the LED types), please do not be fooled.

Orion V2 is only authorized from two vendors.
And is the only kit that is tested and guaranteed to be replaced even if you ever get into an accident and the rings don't work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j3vAz-4Gcs

I am the one who sent the email to lightwurkz and I guess they showed you the thread. You have about 10 different incidents of half the halo going out for various different cars yet you have not provided any solution to this problem? As noted by a HEADLIGHT vender on this website "jnc" he believes that if the halos are wired separately with a switch then they should not go out. However, when I called you guys for specific directions when I installed my headlights I followed connecting the harness and the white boxes and you guys told me to connect it to the parking lights. We need a solution here...either you directions for hooking up the halos are faulty or your product is defective. Spending $150 dollars on 2 halos that probably cost you 20 bux to make is no joke.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrlal8
I am the one who sent the email to lightwurkz and I guess they showed you the thread. You have about 10 different incidents of half the halo going out for various different cars yet you have not provided any solution to this problem? As noted by a HEADLIGHT vender on this website "jnc" he believes that if the halos are wired separately with a switch then they should not go out. However, when I called you guys for specific directions when I installed my headlights I followed connecting the harness and the white boxes and you guys told me to connect it to the parking lights. We need a solution here...either you directions for hooking up the halos are faulty or your product is defective. Spending $150 dollars on 2 halos that probably cost you 20 bux to make is no joke.
We have 3 confirmed incidents - not 10. We're not here to argue about it. We're here to help out when/how we can. As described above:
1) It's unlikely that the ring - after time - would fail, so we'll be replacing it for that user.
2) If it failed immediately after install, then the wires were pulled out.
3) Wiring harness has nothing to do with it.
4) We need lot numbers to better isolate the issue - so you need to work with your vendor (if it's us, great, if it's not, then go to Lightwurkz).

And finally, if you believe you can make these rings for $20, please by all means make your own. We understand your frustration, you bought the best and need help with it. Best to work with your vendor.

--- I believe I've given enough information for you guys to get support. If you need further assistance - we're not a vendor on this site, please communicate with us directly.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM
BANNED

umnitza, thanks for the responses.

one thing tho, it's not just ONE of my halo rings that acts up...it could be any one of them at any given time. sometimes it's just one, sometimes it's two, sometimes both, sometimes ALL 4. and if i hit the corner of the headlight...the halo will light up again (sometimes) and then go out shortly after.

but like i said, everything worked fine for a while and everything was tested before i even went through with the install hassle you know? so for this to happen a few months down the road...i don't know.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Race Director

one thing tho, it's not just ONE of my halo rings that acts up...it could be any one of them at any given time. sometimes it's just one, sometimes it's two, sometimes both, sometimes ALL 4. and if i hit the corner of the headlight...the halo will light up again (sometimes) and then go out shortly after.
Dude that puts a totally different spin on things imo. You're shorting out somewhere up the line. Have you gone back through and quadruple checked all the power connections? The odds on BOTH going are crazy low but a shared issue causing both to be iffy makes more sense. Start with the closest shared power source. Improve the ground. Although I'm talking like I know how they are wired up. Lol

I just wanted to say I just now watched that video above and damn. My thinlines aren't even a 20th that resilient. I broke one of the four bulbs just taking them our of their packaging. One wrong pinch and poof, the cffl broke. So I see what he means when he says the orions are pretty reliable.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Cliff Notes: Dont install Angel Eyes....cause your gonna be pissed if one starts acting up, which would require you to take apart the entire headlight which is a MAJOR pain in the ass....

Honestly I wouldnt even care if I got "replacement" lights if mine failed....if failure rate is anything above 1%....not worth it IMO....good thing I already got these installed....I am afraid to even hook them up now.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

1) I am not here to argue with you. Yes I did spend $150 on your halos because I thought you guys were the best. THESE ARE THE FACTS.

MY FIRST set of halos purchased a year ago...went out after 6 months. You see what Sharkbreath is describing where the HALOS go out randomnly it can be ANY of the halos...you can slap the headlight on the side and BAM it works for a few minutes then goes out while you are driving. THIS HAPPENED TO MY FIRST set. Lightwurkz has AMAZING SERVICE the guy mailed me a new set of halos as soon as I told him that the halo was defective. I only have positive things to say about lightwurkz they are very good with customer service.

2) My friend bought his halos and they started to go do the flicker bullshit after 2 months. He bought your halos years ago and put them on his TSX and they went out as out. 2 years later he buys it for his TL and the same shit happens. Once you hook up the halos to a battery ac adapter THEY WORK PERFECTLY fine.

I do not believe your halos are the PROBLEM. they are built strongly and I cant see them going out over a span of a few weeks. its the dam wiring harness you guys send and those dinky white boxes. how does a new halo that I just received have the same problems with the same wire harness kit that was used on the old halos??

CLEARLY you believe your product is 100% flawless and have no intention of taking suggestions from customers who are experiencing difficulties. What sharkbreath is describing ....3 of my friends including myself are having the same problems. I no longer have your halos anymore I hate angel eyes after this experience. I am doing this for the benefit of other customers because I know how frustrated I was spending all that money on 2 rings.

My MCAT is august 18tH I do not have time to go over all this. After august 18th you will be hearing from me I will gather PLENTY of customers who have purchased from you and we will sort out this problem. I will take videos of the problems and SHOW you how I wired the halos ACCORDING to YOUR directions. This is truly ABSURD I have never heard so many people describe the same exact problem and you think it may be a lot problem when we ORDERED YEARS APART FROM EACH OTHER
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Race Director

I'm not going to comment on the post above except for one thing. I agree. What I said about my inverter for the thinlines goes for the controller module thing too.

I bet that thing splits right open, right? Basically two pieces of plastic with a silicon board inside? That is the same type of thing as my inverter. When mine went, I pulled the inverter and looked inside. It had gotten water in it and fried.

So if that's the case, before you wire it all in, take some silicon caulking and seal that thing completely up. You can even caulk on the board itself I do believe. But at a min at least seal the seams of the box and where the connectors go thru.

That's just good habit. Not saying it will fix anyone's issues.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
BMW 535i

What should I say , lol. I install them myself, hook them up by myself. After 1 week using, I made this thread. Then today , the second halos got problem .
Edit: I believe most of people, who are proud to have angel eyes and encourage me, are here.

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 07-26-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
BMW 535i

Another thing, it's not about replace or not , it's about the time and work we have to do in order to put the halos in. So I hope the problem can be solved soon.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
well add me to the list, my angel eye is flickering and half out now too. Im the guy MRLAL8 mentioned that installed this on my TSX and now on my TL.

I had the set on my TSX for a good year and after about 6 or 7 months, they started to flicker. I was going to get some replacements and redo them, but lucky for me my sister decides to crash my TSX and BAM, I get a TL

Ive had them on my TL for a good 10 or so months now and they are starting to act up. I do my own work and its pretty damn frustrating to open up the lights every time for a freaking halo. IL probably just unwire them for now and then uninstall them when i have the energy to spend some time on it.

Yes the angel eyes are sturdy and all, but the wires that are coming out from the actual ring are not sturdy and dont seem to be sealed in completely (ive installed countess versions of these halos on multiple cars and have noticed it on every car, just my opinion though). I am very delicate and steady with my hands too, so i dont make mistakes and i know for sure i never pull on any of the wires.

Il just get some replacement rings and probably get rid of the whole set.

my opinion on this now, eff angel eyes, time to UNINSTALL them and be done with the entire idea, unless u go buy a beamer that is

good luck everyone.

Last edited by djmanu; 07-26-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Race Director

Man. So many with the same problem. Is there something in general that we are all missing?

How did all of you with issues wire these things up?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Man. So many with the same problem. Is there something in general that we are all missing?

How did all of you with issues wire these things up?
i have the harness that hooks up to the battery. triggers are on the parking lights.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
BMW 535i

My trigger go to Wiper Motor but when I test before , it seem like only one to the ground and a trigger go to power source then the halos will light up.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 PM

I am gonna start a new thread tomorrow (too lazy right now) with a Poll of members who had problems with their Angel Eyes and then send Umnitza a link since only "3" member have documented problems....I would like to know who has had problems with their V2s vs. USRs (I think im gonna go this route) or LightWurkz (even though its the same shit product)
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
umnitza, thanks for the responses.

but like i said, everything worked fine for a while and everything was tested before i even went through with the install hassle you know? so for this to happen a few months down the road...i don't know.
Same exact problem I have. I also notice that when I squeezed the passenger side box, the light comes on and goes off when I release it. That just confirms that the box is the issue. I've got the CCFL thinlines. I really like them and they turned lots of heads, including BMW drivers. (when they worked)
Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Mine also sometimes only light up half way. I have Ümnitzas wire harness and the angel eyes are also plugged into the converter box as well. I'll see if I can get a video of it tomorrow if I find time.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

WOOOOOOOOOOOW THE NUMBERS JUST KEEP GETTING BIGGER

this is definitely more than "3" incidents
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM
BMW 535i

Just send them pics so I will give you guys also.
This is what happen

This is how I wire

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 07-26-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

^ exactly whats happening to everyone else
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 PM
BMW 535i

It happened to the driver side today, and it's the ring on the DRL lol. So I got symmetry ( although they like O C C O ).
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

here is mine

Quick Reply: Angel eye question