Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amp in the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp in the TL?

is there a amp in the TL somewhere that powers the subwoofer and speakers?
If i wanted to add more bass to the system, how would i go about doing so. replacing the sub? or adding additional sub with an amp?

thanks
Old 02-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Banned

Re: amp in the TL?

Originally posted by ravi
If i wanted to add more bass to the system, how would i go about doing so. replacing the sub? or adding additional sub with an amp?

thanks
yes, it is in the front pasenger kick panel beneath the dash.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks
I don't know if replacing the stock sub will sound better or not. I went ahead and installed an amp and a sub in the trunk. I just went with one 10 in a sealed box and it sounds great. I also tapped into the wires going to the stock sub and ran those into the hi level input on the amp. So now I can adjust the sub using the head unit itself. Works great.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Racer

It has been posted that replacing the stock sub speaker gave a big improvement. This is very likely, since ALL stock auto speakers are very marginal quality.

Replacing the stock sub with a good replacement will surely provide more efficiency (louder) and better frequency response (lower bass). This is what I intend to do, and 8" sub drivers won't be too expensive.

I also plan to replace the dash tweeters and the front door speakers, probably with Bostons.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:54 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks
Depending how much bass you are looking for. If you are looking for just a small upgrade I would just leave everything as is. The system sounds very good the way it is. Its not really worth spending hundreds for just a little extra bass. However, if you are interesting in bigger bass then I would suggest a couple 10-12's inch subwoofer in a seeled box enclosure running an additional amp. Just to give you an idea...I have 2 12 inch Alpine Dual Voice Coil Type R subs in a sealed box. I have a Rockford Fosgate 1000bd Mono Block amp running the two subs putting over 1000watts. I have a smaller 4 channel amp running the mids and tweets and the sound is massive. I spent everything just below $2000 cdn. So I think it depends what you are looking for. Hope that helps!!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Racer

^
you have all that in the TL? damn that must be loud
i dont think im going to go that extreme just want a little more BOOM...
too much bass might cause more rattles in the TL...and we all know theres already enough rattles
Old 02-24-2004, 12:20 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

^
you have all that in the TL? damn that must be loud
i dont think im going to go that extreme just want a little more BOOM...
too much bass might cause more rattles in the TL...and we all know theres already enough rattles
For something less extreme I would just go for one 10inch subwoofer in a box enclosure. However you would need to buy an amp to run the sub. A 100watt amp running in mono will be good and would cost you less than $400 bucks cdn. Think about it. That is how I got started and I guess I wanted more after that. This way you don't have to change the existing sub in the car. Beleive me adding a small sub box will make a big difference. Gotto have some fun with your car and these projects just makes your driving even more fun to drive. Not that the TL isn't any fun to drive. Hehe!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Racer

hehe yep real fun car. Hit 1000kms yestarday so i decided to "test" out the TL...all i gotta say is this car is FASTTT and pulls strong...anyways back on topic
dont get me wrong, im not complaining about the system in the TL...its awesome for stock everyone thats heard it has been impressed. More bass would be nice tho

yea im thinking about going with a 10inch
did you install the system urself or have it professionally installed? If so were did u get it done?
Old 02-25-2004, 12:55 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

hehe yep real fun car. Hit 1000kms yestarday so i decided to "test" out the TL...all i gotta say is this car is FASTTT and pulls strong...anyways back on topic
dont get me wrong, im not complaining about the system in the TL...its awesome for stock everyone thats heard it has been impressed. More bass would be nice tho

yea im thinking about going with a 10inch
did you install the system urself or have it professionally installed? If so were did u get it done?

My friend and I install everything ourselves. It was very challenging I must say compare to my Integra before. Lets just say it took my whole Saturday morning and afternoon to get it done. If u don't mind spending the $$ I would get someone else professional to do it. Probably cost less than $200 to install everything. But if u know how to do it why not eh!!
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Racer

how did u connect everything...i know u have to use some Hi-Lo converter for the new amp..

can you give me a summary of how you connected the two amps and sub.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:16 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

how did u connect everything...i know u have to use some Hi-Lo converter for the new amp..

can you give me a summary of how you connected the two amps and sub.
I left pretty much every thing (OEM parts) the same way. In addition, I install a 4guage power wire directly from the battery to my two amplifiers install in the rear trunk. From the amp, I had to run the RCA cable and Remote wires from the amp to the head unit wiring harness up front. Then I install speakers wires from my Mono Block amp to my 2subs and from my 4channel amp to the mids and tweets for the high end. That is just a quick scoop of how it is done but their is alot of little things I missed out otherwise I could be writing a huge essay on this. With my 4 channel amp, the stock speakers sounds alot more clean/clear/sharp due to the built in x-over from the amp. Having the x-over really helps cleans out the signals that do not belong to the speakers. I hope I explain it well in a short way.

So what are your plans???