Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost had a heart attack!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost had a heart attack!

A new Sheetz gas station opened by us and was having a weekend special ($2.11 for 93 octane) so everyone and their grandmother was there getting gas, including me. Since it was a nice day, I decided to get a carwash at their new touchless carwash - I have a NBP, which needs to be washed every two hours (or so it seems.)

Anyway, this place has a "drive thru" path to the carwash which wraps around the building, so I pull in line. By the time I round the corner 5 minutes later there are several cars behind me. It's at this time I notice that indeed this carwash is NOT a touchless carwash, and there is no way to get out of line without driving over an 8 inch high concrete curb. And I can't back out since there are cars behind me.

So, I'm thinking I'm screwed. There goes the Acura paint, and this car is less than 2 months old. After several moments of cursing up a storm with the windows up, I finally end up resolved to my fate that the best I can hope for is to wait the 15 minutes to get to my turn, then simply drive through without washing the car...

When finally comes my turn, I notice that this carwash's brushes aren't made of heavy felt or mini plastic rods. These are RUBBER brushes!! I've never seen those in a carwash before. In my mind I'm imagining this being one big claybar treatment. So, I sucked it up and went through.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I did let this automatic carwash actually touch my car...

And do you know what? I was thoroughly shocked and pleased with the result. Not only did it not scratch a thing, it removed most of the swirlies from my last wax job. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it did just as good a job as I could have done with a between-wax washing, and in less time (including the wait!)

So, while I know the ultra-paranoid $100 wax kit guys will never buy it or try it, for the rest of us, those rubber car washes actually do a decent job without harming the paint...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with a drive-thru hands-only but with machine soap-spray/rinse carwash that I went to in Santa Clara, CA. It was not only fast, but it really cleaned everything and left the car looking like the day I bought it. Obviously if you look hard enough, you'll find little bits and pieces of dirt/debris, but for $13.95, which includes detailed hand drying, interior wipe down/clean/freshening, and tire dressing, I think I wouldn't mind taking this option once in a while. It sure saves a lot of time...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Banned

really? My TL has been in automatic carwash for 7 months before I got my lazy ass up and decides to buy some washing gear and do it myself since it's summer.
Automatic carwash is just fine, just have to know where to go, what kind of gear they use.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,005 Likes on 575 Posts
Also have to be real careful about not getting the rims scuffed from the guide tracks.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ron A
Also have to be real careful about not getting the rims scuffed from the guide tracks.
I hate those washes that require you put your car in neutral and pull you through.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah but when the car washes get older, pebles and shit can get lodged in the brushes. Then the car wash is no fun. I think I will buy myself a mr. clean autodry.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Troublemaker

most microscratches from car washes can be taken out with a proper polish. Dont polish unless you know how to do it though.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:12 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazymjb
Yah but when the car washes get older, pebles and shit can get lodged in the brushes. Then the car wash is no fun. I think I will buy myself a mr. clean autodry.
Thread hijack!!!

That's what I did. I just bought a Mr. Clean Pro (the newer model) with a $5 off coupon at Costco just to try it. It actually works great with no water spots but there are 2 problems with it. If you are planning on waxing, it doesn't dry fast enough if you want to wax immediately and you still have to dry the car but it's much easier and quicker with much less water. If you are just washing I suppose you could let it air dry, however even when just washing I use Zaino Z8 spray and have to dry the car because i'm not willing to wait. The other problem is the life of the filter. It’s says it should last 5-10 washes depending upon your water hardness. Mine turned brown after one wash indicating it’s used up. Just to make sure I’m going to try it again and see if it works without changing the filter. If not it’s a rip in that it only lasts one wash…won’t be worth it imo.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

They always get you with the razor blades.... How much are filters?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by EpiK
And do you know what? I was thoroughly shocked and pleased with the result. Not only did it not scratch a thing, it removed most of the swirlies from my last wax job. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it did just as good a job as I could have done with a between-wax washing, and in less time (including the wait!)
No way it removed swirls. If you want to try an experiment, wash your car by hand with (I know I'm gonna get flamed for this) Dawn dishwashing detergent. My guess is you got their super-duper crappy wax option. This stuff is such a load of snake oil it ain't funny.

My guess is the sealant they applied is just masking the damage underneath. Once you wash a few times (or once with Dawn) you will see the swirls back again.

Think about it. I drive my 80 Ford F150 that just finished a mud-bog run through the woods through the car wash a few minutes before you pull up to get yours washed. Care to venture a guess where all the crap that was on my car is now resting? Yup, right on the rubber brushes you described. You don't see anyone out there hosing off the brushes between washes and they certainly aren't washed off during the car wash process.

I drove my car (99 TL) through 1 brush car wash at the end of Winter. I knew I was planning to go over the entire car with my PC and Meguiars #80 so I didn't much care.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Echoing TL Trance,

After I took my wife's Volvo for a service, they gave me a coupon for car wash. I took the Volvo to this place on Stevens Creek Bl called "Country Club" and they actually did a very good job.

It's all hand wash, no auto brush or micro fiber clothes. they do have auto-sparying wax and polishes, and force-air drying.

The left side of the tracks is padded with a strip of thick rubber/plastic.

I have since taken the TL there twice. It's $12.95. Add $2 if you want the tri-color polish and tire dressing, plus air freshner.

I usually drive straight home after a wash, dust the car clean, wipe teh car off with clean damp cotton towel, and polish it with McQuiar's Quick Wax.

So far so good.

I still try to wash the TL myself with Mr. Clean as much as I can, though.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Car Addict

Beware the guidetracks!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:32 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Last Monday, I pulled into a Chevron station to get some gas and decided to get the touchless car wash, too. As I sat waiting my turn, I was watching the Lexus ahead of me get washed. In this car wash, you pull forward until it tells you to stop. Then a machine moves forward and back carrying a series of high-pressure sprayers that follow the contour of the car. So there I am watching the dance of the sprayers when the nozzle on one of the heads pops off and smacks the back window of the Lexus with enough force for me to hear the "Crack!" After that, that nozzle was just spraying a strong stream instead of the fan pattern. Since no one was behind me, I backed out and went into the market and got a refund for the wash. I let the cashier know what just happened and he said, "Yeah, that happens sometimes. I'll let the manager know."

Touchless indeed.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Car Addict

I have fond memories of driving my beater thru a drive-thru and having it rip off my front plate and side mirror.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:05 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
EXACTLY!!...unless you're anal about your stuff touchless carwasher are OK but if you have a black, blue or red you will notice all types of scratches sooner than later, not to mention the rims....ouch....
Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Last Monday, I pulled into a Chevron station to get some gas and decided to get the touchless car wash, too. As I sat waiting my turn, I was watching the Lexus ahead of me get washed. In this car wash, you pull forward until it tells you to stop. Then a machine moves forward and back carrying a series of high-pressure sprayers that follow the contour of the car. So there I am watching the dance of the sprayers when the nozzle on one of the heads pops off and smacks the back window of the Lexus with enough force for me to hear the "Crack!" After that, that nozzle was just spraying a strong stream instead of the fan pattern. Since no one was behind me, I backed out and went into the market and got a refund for the wash. I let the cashier know what just happened and he said, "Yeah, that happens sometimes. I'll let the manager know."

Touchless indeed.
"Yeah, I know, that happens sometimes???!?!?!?" You gotta be shittin' me! Seems as if they really are not trying to be concerned about this kind of crap....
Old 05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Automatic car washes are for heartless (for their cars) and lazy people.