Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Air Filter

Here is the original airfilter from my 05 TL 6MT at 18K miles. I replaced it with another Acura OEM filter. This car was used in a residential suburbia area in MD, no real diverse conditions (i.e. dust, sand, construction,...) that would abnormally affect the filter. Regardless of what filter you use, it's good maintenance practice to replace them more often than the 30K mile recommended schedule in the Acura service schedule.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Here in NYC, I've had to replace mine about every 10,000 or so.

Recently picked up the STP replacement at AutoZone for less than ½ the price of the OEM.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my last car ('99 Saturn) at around 40k miles, it started driving really poorly. Slow acceleration, rough idle, poor mileage. I knew the air filter "only" had 20k miles on it, but I replaced it anyway and the difference was night and day. I couldn't believe it; it felt like my engine power at least doubled and my mileage increased by 50%. The filter was that clogged after 20k. Now I'm a believer; I replace the filter every 10k miles. It's cheap insurance against poor engine performance, besides being a good idea in the dusty desert.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Got VTEC?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an AEM CAI. Do I still have an air filter like that?
Old 12-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTVtec
nope...you have a cone-shaped filter
Old 12-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
Here in NYC, I've had to replace mine about every 10,000 or so.

Recently picked up the STP replacement at AutoZone for less than ½ the price of the OEM.
I just replaced mine today too. I was a little surprised at the $32 price for the OEM filter. But it seems built very well, and appears to have 2 stages of filtration. I looked at a Fram filter and it didn't seem to be nearly as sophisticated. How does the STP filter compare?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wolftag
I just replaced mine today too. I was a little surprised at the $32 price for the OEM filter. But it seems built very well, and appears to have 2 stages of filtration. I looked at a Fram filter and it didn't seem to be nearly as sophisticated. How does the STP filter compare?
I just replaced my air filter with a K&N filter.....no one around here had the filter for my TL-type-S--go figure. anyway i paid $40 shipped-vs- dealers $32.... and u never have to replace the k&n filter just wash it, clean it, let it dry and oil it to catch fine dust particles. ( they say ever 50K) but I will do it ever 10. 107K and purres and jumps at the line.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

the K&N filter replacement for the 07'TL-S has come out yet, Damn it man!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 PM
信是寶

Yeah you should have a cone man, just follow the pipe. I actually just changed mine today. I have a Fujita CAI and after 6 months it still looked good.

I used to change my OEM filter every other oil change and it looked dirty. I feel that the CAI filters are not as fine as the filters for the stock set-up; just holding them up to a light I can see the difference.

btw: I still have a brand new STP filter I am willing to give away. Since I slapped on the Fujita I have no need for the STP filter. If you live in the Lancaster/Exton/Philly area PM me, I'd give it to ya! ;-)
Old 12-10-2006, 10:40 AM
HMFIC

I just replaced mine last week with a NAPA gold filter. It was only $20. I also did the cabin filter and it was only $21. My A12 service was due at ~27,000.

It it just me or does it seem stupid to need a screw driver to change an air filter?

Don
Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
On my last car ('99 Saturn) at around 40k miles, it started driving really poorly. Slow acceleration, rough idle, poor mileage. I knew the air filter "only" had 20k miles on it, but I replaced it anyway and the difference was night and day. I couldn't believe it; it felt like my engine power at least doubled and my mileage increased by 50%. The filter was that clogged after 20k. Now I'm a believer; I replace the filter every 10k miles. It's cheap insurance against poor engine performance, besides being a good idea in the dusty desert.
Well, looks like I'll be changing mine prettty soon. Im currently close to 32k, I bought the filter but just havent had time to replace it. How is ACDelco air filters?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by wolftag
I'm a good judge of quality having been a mechanic back in college.
The STP seemed to be well made.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:37 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
It it just me or does it seem stupid to need a screw driver to change an air filter?
No. it's not just you. My ex-Honda had clips.

Maybe they felt they had to do it the way they did it due to clearances under there?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by shayan
Well, looks like I'll be changing mine prettty soon. Im currently close to 32k, I bought the filter but just havent had time to replace it. How is ACDelco air filters?
Air filters are cheap, easy to replace yourself, and it certainly doesn't hurt to replace them more often than the manual recommends. My TL has about 6300 miles. On the next oil change (probably around 12k) I will change the air filter. Again, probably not as important in non-desert environments, but here in Arizona the dust and dirt really clog that thing up in a hurry.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
anybody know the part number of the STP engine air filter?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
WOW! scary question!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
GM recommends every 50,000 miles...

But anyway, the air filter increases in efficiency as it loads up with dirt, so changing it too often may actually be harmful.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:48 PM

Btw- that filter doesn't look bad at all. It could've gone much longer...
Old 12-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
GM recommends every 50,000 miles...

But anyway, the air filter increases in efficiency as it loads up with dirt, so changing it too often may actually be harmful.
just curious, can you explain the science behind this concept?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Pro

I don't get it.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 PM

In short, as dirt loads up the air filter, efficiency will increase as the flow rates will decrease. As a result, filtration will improve at the expense of air flow. Of course, I don't suggest running your air filter until it's a chunk of dirt...at the same time, replacing it every 15-20k is a bit excessive. The key is to find the "sweet spot" between the two extremes...which is every 30-50k miles for most people.

Here was what my contact at GM, who's an engineer, told me:
I would say that most of the air filters we release these days as the OEM part will likely last for 100K or better. Like I mentioned, air filters will last far far longer than most people realize by their visual inspection. Only after all the pleats are bridged with dirt and starting to get caked with dirt do the flow decreases become excessive and the filtering actually improves with the addition of more and more dirt. Takes the wind out of people's sails that think they are doing something good by going to a K&N filter that lasts "forever". So do paper filters, virtually. For the price of a K&N you could buy enough paper filters to drive 500K and you would have better filtration to boot.
Btw- Ford has been using a sealed "lifetime" air filter in the Focus for the last three or four years. It is an oiled box of filter material that has been designed to last (and has proven to last via SAE testing) 150-180k miles under most conditions.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:24 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
anybody know the part number of the STP engine air filter?
STP Air Filter for 04 TL = SA9600
Old 12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Tecciztecatl
STP Air Filter for 04 TL = SA9600
Thanks bro
Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

In short, as dirt loads up the air filter, efficiency will increase as the flow rates will decrease. As a result, filtration will improve at the expense of air flow. Of course, I don't suggest running your air filter until it's a chunk of dirt...at the same time, replacing it every 15-20k is a bit excessive. The key is to find the "sweet spot" between the two extremes...which is every 30-50k miles for most people
so.........the concept is that by clogging surface area of the filter with dirt the same volume of air is still being filtered by a reduced area of the filter thereby making the filter more efficient!!!!! Ok I buy the explanation, but somehow when people hear increased efficiency they are thinking that it is a good thing and this is not!

I am now planning on coming out with a new air filter that has half of the stock surface area of the filter replaced with a solid plastic panel and advertising it as 100% more efficient than the stock filtration..............who wants to get on the group buy list!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Pro

In short, as dirt loads up the air filter, efficiency will increase as the flow rates will decrease. As a result, filtration will improve at the expense of air flow.

Ahh, ich verstehe sehr gut. While your statement makes sense, I'm telling you that my Saturn had an air filter with 20k miles that was so clogged that it was causing the engine to idle very roughly, acceleration was very poor, and I was getting a third lower than rated gas mileage. At that point, I don't care what the "efficiency" or anything else about the filter. It needed changing and it was like instantly putting a supercharger in my engine, the improvement was that immediate and dramatic.

As I've said in prior posts, it probably makes more sense if you live in the desert. That happened while I was living in New Mexico. I live in Arizona now. I would NEVER buy a car with a "lifetime" air filter. That's a load of bull - at least in this part of the country. If you keep an air filter in your car longer than 75k miles, your car will die. End of story.

But back to your statement. Maybe you or someone else can answer a question I've had. I agree with your statement; it seems like air flow vs. the quality of filtration are direct tradeoffs. That is, if a filter had high air flow (e.g. K&N), then it must do a poorer job of filtering contaminents compared to a "standard" flow filter (e.g. Fram), which must do a better job of filtering contaminents. If the K&N and the Fram were the same size, I can't think of any way that there wouldn't be a direct trade-off between the two. That's why I've been hesitant to put a K&N in any of my cars. I don't want to potentially shorten the lifespan of the engine because of poor air filtration just to get a few extra HP. Is there something else I'm missing or some kind of voodoo I'm not thinking of that K&N does?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:15 PM

SAE tested the lifetime air filter in the Focus and found that it lasted at least 150k miles even under the worse possible conditions.

I have a Saturn too. The filter was somewhat dirty after 25k miles, and after installing a new Fram AirHog, I wasn't able to discern any differences. YMMV.

I think you answered your own question...some people think that the K&N filters let through too much air, hence poorer filtration. But whether or not its enough to cause engine damage is debatable.

pohljm, as the filter loads up with dirt...you are reducing the FLOW RATE of the filter...this is unrelated to the surface area.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

pohljm, as the filter loads up with dirt...you are reducing the FLOW RATE of the filter...this is unrelated to the surface area.
So how does a reduced flow rate equate to higher efficiency?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:55 PM

I should've been more clear...the reduced flow rate is a result of a less porous media due to the dirt buildup...which allows it to filter more efficiently.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
I've read a few Internet posting both positive and negative on the effectiveness of the K&N filters. Personally I prefer the OEM or replaceable oil soaked paper aftermarket air filters.

On the efficiency of the air filters as they collect more debris, that is both true and false. Alot very much depends on the filter permability and the size of the particles it is designed to restrict. As most vehicle airfilters collect more debris, they do become more effective at the large particle collection.

However as the available surface area for filtering decreases due to collecting debris the air pressure difference across the air filter increases which causes the filter to suck in more smaller particles. Here the air filter is less effective and allows more small debris to enter the engine. Is this debris harmful, it's debatable since it depends on the size and filter material. I always err on the side of caution when it comes to maintenace and replace them sooner than later. Personally I think the theory that "new air filters cause more engine wear" is just a urban legend, I've never seen any reputable source for that claim.

A friend of a friend works for Catepillar engines and explained to me this is why most large heavy machinery engines have two stage airfilters. The first stage is for large/medium particles and the second stage is for the smaller particles. They also have pressure sensors to compare the differences across the filters to indicate a fitler is clogged, not only for reduction of fuel efficency but more importantly to prevent the engine from sucking through the filters the smaller partcles. He also said the smaller particles tend to create problems for diesel engine wear since they tend to become staticly charged as they go through the intake plenum then cling to metal parts as the air flow rapidly decelerates in the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
Ahh, ich verstehe sehr gut. While your statement makes sense, I'm telling you that my Saturn had an air filter with 20k miles that was so clogged that it was causing the engine to idle very roughly, acceleration was very poor, and I was getting a third lower than rated gas mileage. At that point, I don't care what the "efficiency" or anything else about the filter. It needed changing and it was like instantly putting a supercharger in my engine, the improvement was that immediate and dramatic.

As I've said in prior posts, it probably makes more sense if you live in the desert. That happened while I was living in New Mexico. I live in Arizona now. I would NEVER buy a car with a "lifetime" air filter. That's a load of bull - at least in this part of the country. If you keep an air filter in your car longer than 75k miles, your car will die. End of story.

But back to your statement. Maybe you or someone else can answer a question I've had. I agree with your statement; it seems like air flow vs. the quality of filtration are direct tradeoffs. That is, if a filter had high air flow (e.g. K&N), then it must do a poorer job of filtering contaminents compared to a "standard" flow filter (e.g. Fram), which must do a better job of filtering contaminents. If the K&N and the Fram were the same size, I can't think of any way that there wouldn't be a direct trade-off between the two. That's why I've been hesitant to put a K&N in any of my cars. I don't want to potentially shorten the lifespan of the engine because of poor air filtration just to get a few extra HP. Is there something else I'm missing or some kind of voodoo I'm not thinking of that K&N does?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KilroyR1
I just replaced mine last week with a NAPA gold filter. It was only $20. I also did the cabin filter and it was only $21. My A12 service was due at ~27,000.

Don

Oh man replacing the stock air filter is the biggest pain in the ass, it takes 5 minutes to open the box and without the right tools forget about it. It's just a ploy for the Acura to coerce people into going to the dealer for what I like to call the do-it-yourself stuff.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eoanou
Oh man replacing the stock air filter is the biggest pain in the ass, it takes 5 minutes to open the box and without the right tools forget about it. It's just a ploy for the Acura to coerce people into going to the dealer for what I like to call the do-it-yourself stuff.
I'm sorry, but are you being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell. All you need is a screwdriver or 8mm socket. If it takes you 5 minutes to get 4 bolts loose, you aren't very good at screwing.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was somewhat challenging to reach the screws near the interior of the motor, not mention avoiding some pipes that were extremely hot, add to the fact avoiding the washer from falling into the engine bay was also a pain. Also I used a screwdriver instead of a rachet for one of the screws and ended up stripping the screw.

Yeah I probably do suck at screwing, haha!

I don't think it should take longer than a few seconds to pull out the filter, though it should just be a few clips like found on other cars.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

same old blog VATO!