Sponsored by:

Aftermarket or OEM ... I need Input !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Aftermarket or OEM ... I need Input !!

Well, my luck blows... as usual...

I was out in Riverhead today, when a prick !@#! truck driver going the other way, has a rock FLY out of the truck... i saw the rock barreling towards my car... and BAM... smacks my windshield, and puts a small spider web crack, a little bigger than a half dollar....

As i drove , a crack emerged, and continued spreading... it is deemed "unrepairable" and must be replaced

heres my beef

I have no glass coverage insurance.... They offer "extended" glass, which means if it can be repaired, no charge... if it must be replaced..... i gotta pay my deductable... my deduc. is $1000

So... OEM windshield is about $950-$1000 installed

Aftermarket , is $379.99 installed

So, since I am paying for it no matter what, i will probably get aftermarket... i just wanted to know if anybody here has experience with it, and if they are just as good? I am getting this done at SafeLite AutoGlass on long island, a pretty large and reputable place

The only differences i was able to find on acurazine, is that the OEM windshield has a "sound deadening" gas inside of it? is that BS? i am gonna really notice a sound difference in my cabin?

Thanks

Here is the initial hit...

Here is the crack that appeared within hours

Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Check PM
Old 07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I have car ADD

Thanks for the advice i'll have to figure out what im doing tomorrow....

Does anybody on here have an aftermarket windshield ?? any feedback
Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Check PM
Can you send the same PM to me too please? I need some more information as well on replacement.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The same thing's happened to me before. Just my opinion, but I'd go OEM windshield. Quality doesn't have to be questioned, and you'll have "Acura" windows all the way around.

It's unfortunate that you don't have glass coverage. When it happened to me, I had < 8K miles on my car. I called the insurance company and told them that I wanted an OEM replacement. They said they will only do an aftermarket replacement. I told the adjuster to let me pay my deductible, and I'll pay the difference of the cost between the OEM and aftermarket windshield out of my own pocket. (BTW, my comprehensive deductible is only $250). He said they won't do that, in reply to which I asked to speak to his supervisor. He then asked what the mileage on my car was, and then he said that in newer cars they allowed OEM replacement glass, for whatever reason. So, after speaking to the insurance company, I ended up with an OEM Acura windshield for only $250, installed. I'm insured through Progressive, btw, and this is in no way, shape, or form, a plug.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you know what the funny thing is... in Toronto... insurance company,, when paying for windshield damage... usually go aftermarket.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by tidus888
you know what the funny thing is... in Toronto... insurance company,, when paying for windshield damage... usually go aftermarket.
It's not really "funny". All insurance companies will usually only pay for aftermarket windshields. It's all about profit margins. If OEM was cheaper, then they'd only pay for OEM parts.

The same thing goes for body shops. They will always go for the cheaper aftermarket parts to fix your car with, and not the more expensive OEM parts from the stealership. It's all about profit margins.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
It's not really "funny". All insurance companies will usually only pay for aftermarket windshields. It's all about profit margins. If OEM was cheaper, then they'd only pay for OEM parts.

The same thing goes for body shops. They will always go for the cheaper aftermarket parts to fix your car with, and not the more expensive OEM parts from the stealership. It's all about profit margins.
Blackura, I would go with the OEM windshield. It is much more expensive, but there is a why I say this. You are a guy who wants power and performance from his car, correct? Well the OEM windsheild helps with ridigitity for the TL, and I doubt you would want a floppy tl...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
No glass coverage on such a young car?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've used safelite before roughly 5 times. Not a single problem ever.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Needs wheels

A couple of things from a guy who had to replace his windshield about a month ago:
1. safelite makes a windshield that has the sound barrier layer too...it is about 200 - 300 less than OEM if i remember correctly.
2. there is a resale consideration....if i were buying a used car and noticed aftermarket glass, i'd think twice....just a thought
Old 07-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I have car ADD

^ i had NOOOO clue i didnt have glass coverage... i assumed it comes with the policy? I have high coverage on a 2008 Acura TL-S, and 2008 CLK550 Cabrio.... i didnt think i would have to "ask" for glass coverage.. i mean shit.. my carbon fiber hood, rims, exhaust, body kit are all insured under my CPE (custom parts equipment) why the hell isnt my glass covered?? :angry:

Well, i have it now... and i lowered my deductable to $500... (i am only 24, so a $250 deductable would be super expensive)....

I know the OEM is better, especially with this whole "sound barrier" but.... $400.... $1000.... ya know... if anything, now that i have full coverage, i can hope it breaks again in the near future and they'll replace it with OEM

But honestly... i have ATLP Jpipe, ATLP exhaust, Precat deletes.... i dont think a "quiet comfortable ride" is up my alley anymore ... my only concern is STRENGTH

i have NO strut tower brace on (edfc) and i know that effects rigidity of the the car and the windshield.....
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by godizus
A couple of things from a guy who had to replace his windshield about a month ago:
1. safelite makes a windshield that has the sound barrier layer too...it is about 200 - 300 less than OEM if i remember correctly.
2. there is a resale consideration....if i were buying a used car and noticed aftermarket glass, i'd think twice....just a thought
What did you end up replacing yours with?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
holy shit... allon dat suks.... come down to the Bx hunts point got u on that, and it no luck then go to Jerome Ave... but ull find one
Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 PM
I have car ADD

funny thing, id rather the rock had hit my CF hood... thats COVERED under my insurance

Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^ i had NOOOO clue i didnt have glass coverage... i assumed it comes with the policy? I have high coverage on a 2008 Acura TL-S, and 2008 CLK550 Cabrio.... i didnt think i would have to "ask" for glass coverage.. i mean shit.. my carbon fiber hood, rims, exhaust, body kit are all insured under my CPE (custom parts equipment) why the hell isnt my glass covered?? :angry:

Well, i have it now... and i lowered my deductable to $500... (i am only 24, so a $250 deductable would be super expensive)....

I know the OEM is better, especially with this whole "sound barrier" but.... $400.... $1000.... ya know... if anything, now that i have full coverage, i can hope it breaks again in the near future and they'll replace it with OEM

But honestly... i have ATLP Jpipe, ATLP exhaust, Precat deletes.... i dont think a "quiet comfortable ride" is up my alley anymore ... my only concern is STRENGTH

i have NO strut tower brace on (edfc) and i know that effects rigidity of the the car and the windshield.....
Like I said before, the car is also held together with the windshield. As it is, you have no strut bar, and if you have a windshield that can't take the stress from the car flexing, its going to crack again... Also right now with the detuctible, its a matter of 250 dollars difference between OEM and Aftermarket...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
I have car ADD

If it was a $250 difference, i would jump on it... my only options now are

1) OEM $1000
2) Aftermarket $380

3) wait it out for a few months, and get an OEM replacement for free under my full glass coverage... but... thats not a very honest thing, and im a pretty ethical guy.... plus.. the term "insurance fraud" keeps lingering in the back of my head

BUT... say i pay the $380... get an aftermarket, if it breaks in a few months, i can get an OEM replacement from insurance? then i can feel honest about having them replace it, and happy that i have an OEM

I really really want OEM... but is it worth $600 more for a piece of glass?? could OEM be that much stronger? i could quite frankly, give a sh*t about the sound proof... my car already gives all the passangers a headache once i get on the throttle...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i would go with the OEM any day. even if it is much more expensive. but i can understand if you go aftermarket. its all about whats best for you overall. to each his own.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

If it was a $250 difference, i would jump on it... my only options now are

1) OEM $1000
2) Aftermarket $380

3) wait it out for a few months, and get an OEM replacement for free under my full glass coverage... but... thats not a very honest thing, and im a pretty ethical guy.... plus.. the term "insurance fraud" keeps lingering in the back of my head

BUT... say i pay the $380... get an aftermarket, if it breaks in a few months, i can get an OEM replacement from insurance? then i can feel honest about having them replace it, and happy that i have an OEM

I really really want OEM... but is it worth $600 more for a piece of glass?? could OEM be that much stronger? i could quite frankly, give a sh*t about the sound proof... my car already gives all the passangers a headache once i get on the throttle...
Me stupid, deductible doesn't count for glass... I would go with the aftermarket, and just hope it doesn't crack due to the stess... Or you could go with a greddy strutbar to help releive the stress in the mean time...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
what is that little square thing?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I would go with aftermarket windshield made by PPG or Pilkington as they are OEM distributors for Honda/Acura.

You can go with Safelite, but they may be thinner than OEM specs.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I have car ADD

i dunno... i think headlight sensor for auto-headlights... or temp sensors?

i read somewhere that the acura can tell if the windsheild is really hot, and it increases the fan speed or lowers the temp in the car.. i call

just like the ANC =
just like the Sound-deadening windshield is

sorry.. im just grumpy about this.. either way, im out $400 minimum... for no reason... money that could have been spent on the new brakes i need so badly
Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Needs wheels

What did you end up replacing yours with?
I am covered by geico. I makde them replace it with Acura glass since i had to pay the same 250 deductable either way. It cost 925 and i think the quote was somewhere in the 700 range for the safelite glass with sound barrier installed.........
Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

i dunno... i think headlight sensor for auto-headlights... or temp sensors?

i read somewhere that the acura can tell if the windsheild is really hot, and it increases the fan speed or lowers the temp in the car.. i call

just like the ANC =
just like the Sound-deadening windshield is

sorry.. im just grumpy about this.. either way, im out $400 minimum... for no reason... money that could have been spent on the new brakes i need so badly
That is the sensor for the automatic headlights. To the left and right you will see the domes that measure temp. and do the handling of the HVAC feature. ANC only works below 2K RPM range and the sound-deading is a vacum cavity or a gas filled gavity where the sound is blocked... I know, money could be spent on better stuff, but shit happens. When a stupid lady hit my car, I was out of pocket almost 400 dollars for a rental and gas to go the the stupid bodyshop over 60 miles away... that money could have been spent on brakes for me too. weeks later I still am getting there to buy my brakes... that screeching is horrible...
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

ouch that sucks bro! go aftermarket -- OEM is over rated imho. all that sounds barrier bs, is retarded.

like you said, a quiet ride isn't up your alley anymore

but i woulda thought you would get glass coverage with full coverage .. i have full coverage and my deductable is 500 -- my 6 month premium isn't bad either (1200)... AND i have glass coverage ---

what's your premium and such? it couldn't be that bad. get a better insurance provider imo lol
Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
I have car ADD

I've got progessive.. and they are AWESOME

I was paying $2010 for 6 months (CLK550 & TL-S)... $1k deductable.. now my premium is $2270 for 6 months, $500 deductable AND full glass coverage....

progessive, kicks ass... when i wrecked the BLACKURA.. they let me... actually, the PAID, to tow the car to my house and my mechanics so i could strip down all my custom parts... they didnt even require i reinstall the stock stuff, i just had to give it back (threw it all in the trunk)

All in all, that price isnt THAT bad.. considering i am 24, live in NY, and those are two expensive cars, and i wrecked the blackura just about a year ago

When i was 17.... i had to pay $3400 a year for LIABILITY only on my 1992 Ford Explorer....
Old 07-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I would say aftermarket rather than outta pocket.
I had one replaced on my 03tls
And another bb type hit repaired with glass epoxy. Both free, but simple solutions. Did u try Safelite?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
I would say aftermarket rather than outta pocket.
I had one replaced on my 03tls
And another bb type hit repaired with glass epoxy. Both free, but simple solutions. Did u try Safelite?
thats were i went (over on hemp. tpke)

the damage is too big and squiggly to fix it... i actually just went out to get some smokes, and the crack grew EVEN MORE!! a whole new 10" crack spidered out from the center of the hit
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Dam.. that blows, have you shopped for the OEM windshiled and is that price the best you could get? Have you tried to see if TIM can do anything for you at Ray Laks? Call me tommorow with the best price you can get and I'll see if I can ask a buddy of mine who has a link at Acura what he can do. But let me know the best price you can get first.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am rocking a aftermarket one, my oem windshield cracked the 2nd month I had the car

ps. the aftermarket one also has a rock chip in it, from i95

no problems, no leaks just slight glare from the tan leatehr during very sunny days
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I had an aftermarket one put in my Tacoma years ago with 0 issues.

No deductible (I thought all glass coverage was this way). Smart move picking it up; it's cheap, and smart move lowering your comp deductible. I run 250 comp/1000 collision. With all the deer these days and hail storms etc, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a higher deductible.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:23 PM
B16 Swapped TL

If you go after market make sure you are going with something quality.

Here is what I would pay extra close attention to..... who would be doing either install.... what is their procedures and what is their reputation?

Csmeance made a great point about the windshield being a critical component in the structural rigidity of a car...... particularly in the case of roll overs. Quality glass is one part of the puzzle, but you want a good install too.... otherwise if you get a crappy install you get leaks, and worst case in the event of a rollover the windshield pops out and you risk getting crushed.

Good move on getting that deductible down.... a $1000 deductible is almost debilitating.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Allon, pbg is the best aftermarket brand windshield, my boy just put it on his I35. There is a good place on queens blvd by my restaurant. Let me know if you wanna go over there. Hit me up 1347 791 5752.