Advice, just bought a used 04 TL and......

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:06 AM
Instructor

Advice, just bought a used 04 TL and......

Hey all acurazine members, I recently purchased a used black 04 TL, black leather, stick, nav, and it is a beauty. It has 63,000 miles and runs great. Paid $17,500/

I was just browsing craigslist, and I found a black aspec 05 TL with all the works, black leather, nav, aspec rims, aspec kit, suspension all installed by the dealer with 36,000 miles on it. It is going for $21,000 and this is such a great deal.

It is also automatic, which after driving my tl for a couple of days, wish I had.

Would it be crazy for me to pursue this after just getting my car the other day?

Opinions appreciated.
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:25 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

How long ago did you get your car? I mean if it's within a couple days ago - you can probably back out of your purchase.

Otherwise - your stuck with 2 very reasonable options. First being that you just deal with the car that you bought, and know that you have a great car. It's not like you bought a 86 CRX and now you see the new TL's and are kicking yourself in the butt.

Other option is to sell your car and get the other. It is very reasonable to get 17k back for your car. Sticks are actually more sought after from what I read. I went with an auto, due to the amount of driving I do. Not a leisure car that I have fun with - but more of a business on-the-road car that I can enjoy the comforts of (while having a blast)

Up to you I guess. I don't think your really going to be losing anything $$ wise, unless you drop the price to get a quick dump. if you have some time to spare, and can perhaps afford a double car payment for a few months - I would buy the aspec, and list yours for sale and wait.
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:26 AM
Instructor

no one? I think I might pursue this, only thing is getting another loan on top of the one i have for the current car. Also, I might lose a little on taxes.
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:28 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by jingy08
no one? I think I might pursue this, only thing is getting another loan on top of the one i have for the current car. Also, I might lose a little on taxes.

What about me
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
How long ago did you get your car? I mean if it's within a couple days ago - you can probably back out of your purchase.

glow- I have never heard of this even being a possibility. What state allows a purchaser to rescind a purchase of a vehicle under these same circumstances?
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey all acurazine members, I recently purchased a used black 04 TL, black leather, stick, nav, and it is a beauty. It has 63,000 miles and runs great. Paid $17,500/

I was just browsing craigslist, and I found a black aspec 05 TL with all the works, black leather, nav, aspec rims, aspec kit, suspension all installed by the dealer with 36,000 miles on it. It is going for $21,000 and this is such a great deal.

It is also automatic, which after driving my tl for a couple of days, wish I had.

Would it be crazy for me to pursue this after just getting my car the other day?

Opinions appreciated.
Taking the financial aspect out of this equation, is the 05 being offered for sale by the dealer? If yes, you could quite possibly trade it in and see what they will give you for your 04?
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:35 AM
Instructor

I will not rescind a purchase, just resell the car.

Glowrdr, thanks for your response. Helpful info. I actually posted mine and then saw your post. I think I am going to pursue this, although it will be extra work for me, hopefully it will payoff.

One problem I have is selling it again, being the second owner, someone might think something is wrong with the car. But I do want automatic now, and this is a way for me to do so.
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

If you are willing to take a huge financial hit go for it. Personally it does not make any sense (common or financial). Unless you can prove something is defective that was not provided, you can't take it back. Selling it will be a hassle and you'll lose on taxes. I bought my 05 TL new w/o nav. Several weeks later I kind of regretted not getting the nav but it's still a great car and just went with it.

Just enjoy your new purchase.
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:50 AM
Instructor

It wont really be a huge financial hit. As per my calculations:

I paid $17,500 + $1,100 taxes + 1500 aspec rims I purchased = $20,100

Aspec TL = $21,000 + $1500 taxes = $22,600

difference of $2500. $2500 = 30K less miles, full aspec kit, aspec suspension, aspec rims, automatic, wing.

Is it worth it?
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:52 AM
Instructor

So, no i dont think it will be a huge financial hit, it would actually make more sense financially.
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:53 AM
Safety Car

yea, the 05 sounds like a great deal, but as others have stated, you will not come out good trying to trade in your 04 for what you paid....so i would say your stuck...remember, the grass is always greener on the other side....
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:55 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by ggesq
glow- I have never heard of this even being a possibility. What state allows a purchaser to rescind a purchase of a vehicle under these same circumstances?

I'm not sure if it is the state, or just the banks. I have actually heard of (and seen with my car finance) that there is usually a 3-5 day grace period to recind the contract.

Just like when I refinanced my house 2 monthes ago. I was given a 3 day recind period from Countrywide Mortgage before the loan would pay.

I don't have the exact details on my vehicle - but I do recall a couple years ago when I bought it that there was a way out - but - you have to be quick about it. There's no driving the car for 2 weeks and deciding against it. You pretty much have a couple of days (could it possibly be that you have a couple of days before the loan finalizes, and its easy to back out? Not sure)
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:59 AM
Instructor

No, i will not back out. I don't think that would be a great move on my part. It would be smarter, but I will put in the extra work to sell the car. The purchase has been made and the car is mine. To vinnier, I am not trading in my car, I am selling it. I am pretty sure I can get the same if not more for the car as it looks great.

I just don't think it will be great karma on my part to go back and rescind. The grass is greener, but if i put in the extra work, it would be worth it. Well Im gonna try, ill let you guys know how it turns out. Wish me luck.
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:07 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

I'm not sure if it is the state, or just the banks. I have actually heard of (and seen with my car finance) that there is usually a 3-5 day grace period to recind the contract.
Just like when I refinanced my house 2 monthes ago. I was given a 3 day recind period from Countrywide Mortgage before the loan would pay.

I don't have the exact details on my vehicle - but I do recall a couple years ago when I bought it that there was a way out - but - you have to be quick about it. There's no driving the car for 2 weeks and deciding against it. You pretty much have a couple of days (could it possibly be that you have a couple of days before the loan finalizes, and its easy to back out? Not sure)
In California at least, this is an urban myth. There is no cooling off period for cars unless stated in the contract. I think it is the same in lots of other states as well.

To the OP, if you have the desire, money and time; go for it.
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:09 PM
Intermediate

are you getting it from a dealer???if so where at..?
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:56 PM
Instructor

Always remember the other car can be a lemon of some sort. You already have a car that seems to check out, so definitely keep that in mind as it may be worth more than you think. If you were/are buying recertified cars with extended warranty included that would be a different story.
Old 05-08-2008 | 12:08 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

difference of $2500. $2500 = 30K less miles, full aspec kit, aspec suspension, aspec rims, automatic, wing.

Is it worth it?

Huh? I think someone's math is a bit off. You paid $17,500 for your current car. That may be a bit high for such a high mileage 2004 but to be safe, it's probably worth $17K and you already stated that you paid $1,100 in taxes. You won't get the taxes back in a resale. That means that you have already spent $18,600 for the car you have now. The low mileage car you want is $21,000. Since it's on Craigslist I think it's most likely an individual and not a dealer so that means that you will have to pay taxes AGAIN on the next car. The $1,500 you show would make the noex cost $22,600. Now, you only going to get $17K for your car and the new one is $22,600. $22,600 subtract $17,000 leaves $5,600 in additional costs. That's a pretty big hit for such a minor change. Best to live with your mistakes sometimes.

Your NOT going to get your money back out of the A-Spec rims.

There are no "cooling off" periods for MAJOR purchases (Houses, Cars, Boats, etc) so once you've driven it off, it's yours. There ARE some "kinda shady" financial documents that allow the dealer to take 3 days to find suitable financing (if they don't they simply stick you with a higher interest rate) but you still own the car and can't back out even if the interest rate does go high.

Some dealers do now allow you to buy a car and return it (for a credit towards another off their lot). This works because trhey can STICK you with whatever (usually significantly inflated) price they want on the second one.
Old 05-08-2008 | 12:19 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Ah, it's a RE-FINANCE, not a NEW purchase. That is a HUGE difference. And no, you DO NOT have a couple of days to return a car UNLESS it's one of those dealer promotions where they are trying to get you to buy a Kia and as I stated in the post above ^^, most of those are for a CREDIT towards another car on the lot. You may have gotten a good discount on the first car you drove off the lot but the dealer then has your cash (no refunds in these deals) and they can say ..."Oh, you want the High Performance "SuperDuper 9000"? Certainly, we will credit the $8,500 you gave us for that Kia towards the MSRP price of $25K on the SD 9K". What's that? You want a discount on the SD9K? Sorry, but we sell those for retail all day long. No discount, sorry (even though the dealer aruond the corner sells the SD for $3K off MSRP you have no recourse as you are now playing by THEIR rules that you agreed to when you bought the first car).
Old 05-08-2008 | 12:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Is it worth it?

I'd look at it differently. You Paid for the car you have, $20,100. You can sell it for, say, $17,000. You lose $3,100.

The Craig's List car is $22,600 PLUS your $3,100 loss = $25,700. Is the Craig's List car worth $25,700 to you?

(you can plug in whatever purchase/resale values you want, but I think this is the easiest way to look at it).
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Opinions appreciated.
You own a six speed, but are sick of it after a couple days and want an automatic?

Pussy.
Old 05-08-2008 | 02:08 AM
Instructor

If you like driving manual transmission at all I would recommend you keep the stick shift. I got automatic because there were hardly any stick shifts available and I was impatient to get a new car, and I regret it because the auto is just so boring, and also the handling feels too loose (in case you don't know the suspension is tweaked to handle better on manual trans.) Not to mention the stick shift is faster.

I test drove a stick shift that was the only one in a 50 mile radius at the time and thought it was a very nice transmission but the one I tested didn't have nav and was an '06 which was too much money for me. So I got an '04 auto which is still nice but I like driving and I miss having stick shift because there's nothing to do while driving now and I miss the feeling of having all the control over the car and shifting. The tiptronic or whatever Acura calls it isn't much of a substitute.

Although I can see why some people prefer auto I myself like the experience of driving and like pushing my car not just leisurely driving which I think is what automatic people use theirs for mainly.

Although one thing I didn't know when I got mine is that there is a difference between the '04 and '05 sound system which apparently makes the '05 sound a lot better because they space the music more evenly between the front and rear speakers, where in the '04 the sound came mainly from the front and the back was mainly used for filler. That makes we wish I got an '05 but it's not a huge deal, the sound system still sounds good I just wish I had known that because I care a lot about sound quality and would have held out for an '05.

If you really don't care about the enjoyment of driving stick I would get the '05 if I were you, but you really should try driving an auto for a few weeks before you do so because I thought that I wouldn't miss driving stick but now that I can't I just find driving boring and wish I had a manual transmission.
Old 05-08-2008 | 08:37 AM
Intermediate

im a sales person.....

best advice is if you get it at a dealership. ALWAYS ASK 3300 OFF from what they are selling it..!! use cars are always mark up at least 3000. depending on what type of name it is. but esencialy you want to take 3000 off from the dealer and 4500 for a private sell.......

hope that helps..
Old 05-08-2008 | 05:04 PM
Registered Nutsack

Hmm...for 5600 you could probably get an auto tranny installed in your car and sellem your
MT...
Old 05-08-2008 | 06:13 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

lmao fokkerfitch83... that would cst more than 5600 I would think...LABOR IS AN ASS!

They'll charge you like 4-5 hours to remove the tranny, then 4-5 to put on the new one... thats 10 hours of w/e they charge... they usually charge a LOT!
Old 05-09-2008 | 04:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by anx1300c
You own a six speed, but are sick of it after a couple days and want an automatic?
Pussy.
LMAO, hey I think it will just get some getting used to. When I got my '04 TL I moved to the DC Metro area and was stuck in traffic everyday! I was new to the area and haven't driven Manual for about 2 years. I was so pissed and I wanted to go auto but I stuck it out, and I'm so glad. I also have a beater in case it rains or something (VA ppl cant drive in the rain) if traffic is going to be bad, but I'm even thinking of just getting rid of that now. I love my manual, plus it's fun to chirp gears...
Old 05-09-2008 | 04:42 PM
Instructor

yeah, being stuck in traffic and being a new stick driver after driving auto for many years is frustrating. But I am used to it now and love it! I am sticking with my car, but thanks for all your input!!!

Just got my tint today, looks great, and I have my rims. I just my suspension, add a front lip, and add wheels and im good. Oh and a type s spoiler.