Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice to Fence Sitters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice to Fence Sitters

Now would be a really good time to buy a new TL off the lot of your favorite dealer. It's the end of the month and the end of the year. You'll find some very motivated car dealers out there.

Don't get dissuaded by some of the negative postings. People who have problems tend to vent in these types of forums.

It's true that any car can be a lemon or a lime. My last car was- Volvo S-80 T6.

We're increasing our odds of having a trouble-free car by buying an Acura. Check out Consumer Reports from last month- Acura is THE most trouble-free car; 4% points ahead of Lexus and Toyota.

I have an early build car (<500) that has had no problems except forgetting the seat memory occasionally. Also, I had a loose bolt that was making a rattle that was corrected easily.

I have no vibration issues (just Good Vibrations to steal someone else's line) and I have the OEM Turanza 42's. No torque steer on my 5AT non-nav. No flat spots. No other rattles. Butt prints- give me a break; it's a non-issue.

Fun car to drive. Fast, handles great, luxurious, best stereo anywhere, hands-free phone, homelink, and a great value.

If you buy one off the lot now you'll pay less than any of us did probably.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like you have a almost-perfect 04TL so far. Congratulations.

The newcomers should not be scared to buy this vehicle. It's great and completely worth money you're paying.

However, you should think those cons or bugs here are useful tips, too. In case your car has an issue, you know how to deal with it.

I don't want to join a place full of praise and glories of cars. Here is just right for ppl discussing how to learn the solutions or make an improvement for your cars.

For the newcomers, if you don't like those harsh opinions, please ignore them, this is the best way to make yourself feel better.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

I have 300 miles on my blue w/ navi. No problems at all. I got only $500 off mrsp because I didn't want to wait for another dealer to get blue in stock. I got my car at Tustin Acura, CA.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:45 AM
Instructor

Assuming your dealer has several of these on the lot, you should be able to get a non-nav 5A for 2K off sticker if you do it today or tomorrow. Just let them know that you'll deal now, at that price, or not at all. Have a fun day.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Racer

Originally posted by rets
Sounds like you have a almost-perfect 04TL so far. Congratulations.

The newcomers should not be scared to buy this vehicle. It's great and completely worth money you're paying.

However, you should think those cons or bugs here are useful tips, too. In case your car has an issue, you know how to deal with it.

I don't want to join a place full of praise and glories of cars. Here is just right for ppl discussing how to learn the solutions or make an improvement for your cars.

For the newcomers, if you don't like those harsh opinions, please ignore them, this is the best way to make yourself feel better.
I think this forum should accomplish both things:

Discuss the positive aspects of the car and discuss the negatives.

I want to hear about features that I didn't know existed or wasn't taking full advantage of. I want to hear from people who know more about cars than I do- most people in this forum I suspect. I like hearing other people's positive points.

Additionally, I think negatives should be discussed as well. It's good to know that other people are having memory seat problems too. It's obviuous that Acura is working on a fix. Frankly, it doesn't bother me that much. My last car had so many issues- including a memory seat problem- that this is a minor thing for me.

I have total empathy for someone who's having many issues with their car. I hope that these folks get their problems resolved quickly.

My main point here is that there is a huge silent majority out there that love their new TL. There is a majority of people who come here who love their car. The minority of folks who are having major issues are quite vocal. The other minority are people who make quite a bit of noise about minor issues; i.e. butt prints (already mentioned), steering wheel was 1/4 tooth off, rear deck driver's side is 1 mm higher than passenger's side, etc.....

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by gregory28

My main point here is that there is a huge silent majority out there that love their new TL. There is a majority of people who come here who love their car. The minority of folks who are having major issues are quite vocal. The other minority are people who make quite a bit of noise about minor issues; i.e. butt prints (already mentioned), steering wheel was 1/4 tooth off, rear deck driver's side is 1 mm higher than passenger's side, etc.....

Happy New Year everyone!
I know. Those opinions are incurable.

BTW, inside "a huge silent majority out there that love their new TL", some of them are unaware of the issues/problems, hence they're unable to complain.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:38 PM
Rum Runner

Thank you all for the advice. I got a call in to a dealer today. I still owe a few months on my current lease, so we'll see what they can do...
Old 12-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally posted by rets
I know. Those opinions are incurable.

BTW, inside "a huge silent majority out there that love their new TL", some of them are unaware of the issues/problems, hence they're unable to complain.

Happy New Year.
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:57 PM
rarely registered user

I've had several problems with my 04 TL but I would buy one again because there is nothing out there that is great a deal as the TL.

My one piece of advice to new buyers is to INSIST on driving the car for at least a 20 minute test drive before you take delivery. Check for some of the common problems that have been brought up on this site. I know, I know, many of these issues won't be obvious but perhaps the vibration or slipping out of gear will occur on your test drive. Also look over the fit and finish closely.

Don't assume that your car will drive the same as the one you test drove. I had to wait for two weeks for my car to arrive and when it came in, I signed the papers without even taking it for a spin since I had test driven another TL before I put my deposit down. That was stupid. Drive the car before you sign the papers and give it a good walk around. If you don't like what you see, walk away or wait for another one.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I concur. This is an amazing car, and for the money it cannot be touched. Heck, for another 5 grand you couldn't do better than the '04 TL.

Yes, I'm having some tire vibration issues and my memory seats are intermittantly working right, but I'm certain that both of these problems will be resolved.

If I discover any rattles or creeks, I know that Acura will pay for my dealer to fix them as well.

Acura all the way. No other car comes close, and I've owned plenty of others over the years. Nissan, Datsun, BMW, Toyota, Volkswagen and even British Leyland.