Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Wood to your Carbonfiber Interior Combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:31 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Wood to your Carbonfiber Interior Combo

Has anyone done or thought about doing this. I'm thinking about adding wood to a few places. My TL is Anthracite with Ebony Interior.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nking54580
Has anyone done or thought about doing this. I'm thinking about adding wood to a few places. My TL is Anthracite with Ebony Interior.
I really wanted wood in the TL, but the "plood" did not impress me and the two color interiors offered with the plood were IMHO too contrasty with the silver and black trim. I went with quartz, but would like it to be a little less stark. I am considering the real wood (dark burl) kit from exoticwooddash.com. It would not replace the carbon fiber, but would add several pieces around the switches and dash area to warm it up. I am currently putting a kit in my wifes 4runner, and after that I will make a decision. I think the kit is about $260
Old 04-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I'm probably gonna do the same thing. The only area that I may replace the carbor fiber is near the gear shift.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

The "Plood" in the TL is the best I've seen in a car of this price. It would have been nice if it was above the glove-box in that one strip as well.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:29 PM
shopguy

Lakeman,

When you get the wood, share with us photos or what you think of it. I am real curious I prefer wood over carbon fiber and may place the wood over mine if it is a nice fit
Old 04-27-2004, 01:45 PM
100k miles club

damn should've taken some pics at the so cal meet. there was one there w/ the wood. it was an anthracite/silver and it looked very nice. the wood really stood out especially the area where the dome lights in the front are and the shifter. the owner's sn is bruce something and he's either in this forum, acurainspired.com or acura world.com forgot to ask. but ya it looks great.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:50 PM
shopguy

W1n78.

Now you got me real curious. Ill have to start searching far and wide for this Bruce guy or someone with pics of the wood interior.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by bodyshopguy
W1n78.

Now you got me real curious. Ill have to start searching far and wide for this Bruce guy or someone with pics of the wood interior.
i'll see if i can find him. it's bruce something. search the 3 sites i listed above and he's in so. cali, sorry i should've taken a pic but i got to the meet late and i got lazy :toothless
Old 04-27-2004, 02:04 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
W1n78.

His forum handle brucedeb1. He had all the pics of his interior here when the gallery was up.
I've sat in his car, it's done up nicely.

Here's a real 'wooded up" TL interior pic (not Bruce's): http://www.bitrim.com/wd541.htm
Old 04-27-2004, 02:54 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by DMZ
His forum handle brucedeb1. He had all the pics of his interior here when the gallery was up.
I've sat in his car, it's done up nicely.

Here's a real 'wooded up" TL interior pic (not Bruce's): http://www.bitrim.com/wd541.htm
see i knew it was bruce something hehe. ya it looks great even with the silver interior
Old 04-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Racer

I dislike the carbon fiber - it doesn't work in a luxury car.

Thanks for the link. This page looks exactly like the page at exoticwooddash.com. Anyone know who is the REAL manufacturer?

Also - If you add the wood over the carbon - does it stick out? Or, is it very thin?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree about the carbon fiber, although others seem to like it a lot. But...shouldn't wood (or plood) in a car be understated? In my opinion that wood kit is just too much. A few pieces might do wonders for the interior, particularly if you have the carbon fiber to begin with. But that much wood...well...it's not MY taste, that's for sure.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

I am here you guys.....

Send me an e-mail with your direct address and I can send you some pics. I am prejudice I know, but I think the end result is great. I ordered the exact plood pieces that you get with the Camel/Parchment interiors before I got the car. When the car came in I had the dealer take out the Carbon pieces and replace with the plood pieces. Then I ordered the additional pieces available through exoticwooddash.com for around $200. I did not order the speedo piece as I personally think that would have been over the top. The end result is what I think a luxury sports car should look like. Again I like it which is the only one I had wanted to please. But I am glad so many on this forum who have seen it agree with my choice. You can get my e-mail from my profile. Or send me a pm with your's.
Originally Posted by w1n78
see i knew it was bruce something hehe. ya it looks great even with the silver interior
Old 04-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by TLGator
I agree about the carbon fiber, although others seem to like it a lot. But...shouldn't wood (or plood) in a car be understated? In my opinion that wood kit is just too much. A few pieces might do wonders for the interior, particularly if you have the carbon fiber to begin with. But that much wood...well...it's not MY taste, that's for sure.
I totally agree, I have the carbon fiber and I just want to add wood to the navi area, gearshift area, window controls and over by the glove box.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would seem to be plenty. Post pics when you're done!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Racer

Lakeman,

When you get the wood, share with us photos or what you think of it. I am real curious I prefer wood over carbon fiber and may place the wood over mine if it is a nice fit
When I get the kit in I will post pics. (The kit I am considering does not cover the CF.) I will then look and see if the carbon fiber looks out of place. If so there is a kit just to cover the CF which I might get. The CF kit is about $160.

also as TLGator said, I think the wood should be understated. The dark burl kit is understated. It is a dark rich brown with black grain. It is also real wood. I got a sample and it blends well with the quartz, black dash and the silver trim. It should not stand out - just add some warmth and a more luxury feel.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Life is good.

The problem with aftermarket wood trim it that the kit covers the entire interior is this fake, bubbliy rubber like plastic. The factory has a hard plastic, resesed into the areas it is susposed to go.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Racer

I saw today that exoticwodddash.com has GRAY burled wood - this should look great in a gray or black interior.

I put a kit in my Solara from them and it looked REALLY good, 99% match with the factory wood. I use it selectively in only a few areas, and it looked factory.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Post Wood over CF?

Originally Posted by automophile

Thanks for the link. This page looks exactly like the page at exoticwooddash.com. Anyone know who is the REAL manufacturer?

Also - If you add the wood over the carbon - does it stick out? Or, is it very thin?

I also have the same concerns as automophile, which is in respect to whether placing the wood pieces over the OEM CF would be noticiable; as in being able to tell that it is sticking out slightly or is it really thin giving it the factory installed appearance ? In addition, I noticed that the link to B&I's website showed essentially the same products as the ones sold by exoticwooddash.com; down to the numbers that they use to label the individual pieces. The B&I website claimed that their pieces are ultra-thin almost unnoticiable. How does this compare to the pieces by exoticwooddash.com? Is it just as thin? And how do the prices of both stack up?
I would appreciate any answers from anyone that has knowledge in these matters, because I totally want to add the wood kit and cover up all that fake CF with real wood.

By the Way, I was also at the So Cal meet and enjoyed admiring the mods in all the TL's that showed up. I also saw Bruce's wood setup in his third-gen tl and thought that it looked superb; although I think I would just opt out for the wood over carbon kit.
Hey Bruce!! I am that guy that had the third-gen TL with the TV tuner installed on my Navi. Hopefully I'll see you at the next meet.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:41 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by automophile

B&I makes the kit for exoticwooddash and drop ships for them for orders from most of the eastern U.S.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Team Secretary of Housing

The kit is the same

Good morning DMZ,
As noted the kits marketed are the same kits. exoticwooddash.com is a distributer. I am not sure of the prices directly through B & I. The thickness of the pieces is about 1/8 of an inch. I probably would still opt for the original replacement pieces through Acura for the Black Carbon areas rather than gong with the overlay. If dollars have a say I am sure most would get the overlay over the original though.
Thanks x420actionx all for the nice comments I hope I can make the next meet too. I enjoyed your idea of having the tuner in the Nav. It was fun to see the few examples of folks doing similar. It sure is fun to live in the 21st Century!

Originally Posted by DMZ
B&I makes the kit for exoticwooddash and drop ships for them for orders from most of the eastern U.S.