Adding TL-S Paddles to '08 base?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012 | 10:19 PM
Advanced

Adding TL-S Paddles to '08 base?

I've searched for a while and can't really find any concrete answers...

I moved to LA a few months ago and bought a 08 base 5AT because I thought I would just be sitting in traffic. It turns out that's not really the case and I honestly regret not getting a manual car. I've been thinking that adding the type-s paddles to the car may make it a bit more involving/fun to drive (I'm coming from a 350whp 300zx, which needless to say was a bit more exciting to drive than the TL). The real question is, how much work is it to do this?

After looking around a bunch, it looks like the steering wheels themselves are identical and I've seen some complete type-s wheels with paddles on them for <$100. Does anyone know if the wiring harness is the same between the base and tl-s (basically just plug and play with the tl-s connector at the steering wheel)? If not, does anyone know how I would need to tap into the wires/switches used for the sport shift in the center console? I remember seeing someone on here with an Accord that did it that way, but can't remember their username... Any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 10-11-2012 | 10:24 PM
Race Director

Wow, that would be awesome. In for results, I hope someone can chime in.
Old 10-11-2012 | 10:49 PM
Instructor

Sell your car and get a 6spd Type-S.
Old 10-11-2012 | 11:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gwhizkid
Sell your car and get a 6spd Type-S.
Haha, if only things were that simple.... I've only owned the car for 6 months so I'm not giving up just yet. There's also still a chance my 300zx will make it out here and I'll have my "toy" car on the side, so I'm keeping the TL for now.

Last edited by lleron; 10-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2012 | 04:48 PM
07 NBP 5A/T UA6 NAVI

I would love to do this as well, I hope it's possible!
Old 10-12-2012 | 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

If it doesn't work out, paddle shifter kit?
Old 10-12-2012 | 05:08 PM
Racer

I know you can tap into the sport shift wiring in the center console. The paddle shifters are just buttons on the back of the steering wheel that mimic the shifter in the console with paddles behind them that hit the button. I can't see why you couldn't do some spicing of the wires to add the shifters. I do not know if the plugs are the same but I highly doubt it. You would need to find both ends from a type S to mate to your base wiring in the steering column. Wish I was there, I would def help you out and try to build a write up for everyone. I can look up all data wiring schematics for both next time I go to work on monday. Just send me a PM reminding me...
Old 10-12-2012 | 07:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by The MuffinMan
I know you can tap into the sport shift wiring in the center console. The paddle shifters are just buttons on the back of the steering wheel that mimic the shifter in the console with paddles behind them that hit the button. I can't see why you couldn't do some spicing of the wires to add the shifters. I do not know if the plugs are the same but I highly doubt it. You would need to find both ends from a type S to mate to your base wiring in the steering column. Wish I was there, I would def help you out and try to build a write up for everyone. I can look up all data wiring schematics for both next time I go to work on monday. Just send me a PM reminding me...

Thanks a lot for the help. I was actually going to look into it a bit more this weekend too. Wiring does not scare me (I used to work on optical gyros for work); it's more that I don't have a great space to work here and start tearing apart the dash (as I'm stuck parking in a tandem spot under my building and it explicitly says in my lease that I can't work on my car).

Does anyone have a link to a wiring schematic for the 07/08 base TL? (I don't have a set of manuals.) I'll also start looking into part numbers this weekend and report anything I find here.
Old 10-12-2012 | 09:04 PM
07 NBP 5A/T UA6 NAVI

Does anyone have a link to a wiring schematic for the 07/08 base TL? (I don't have a set of manuals.) I'll also start looking into part numbers this weekend and report anything I find here.[/QUOTE]

I have the service manual. Scanner is not working at the moment, i can send you some pics, pm me your email .

Last edited by JL-TL_07; 10-12-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: .
The following users liked this post:
lleron (10-13-2012)
Old 10-12-2012 | 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

should got the Type S instead , I am assuming most of the plugs are identical for base model and if you have Navi on your base it would be perfect. Like muffinman said I don't see why you can't tap into the main SS wiring.
Old 10-12-2012 | 11:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by truonghthe
should got the Type S instead , I am assuming most of the plugs are identical for base model and if you have Navi on your base it would be perfect. Like muffinman said I don't see why you can't tap into the main SS wiring.
Good luck trying to find a non-abused <100k type-s in socal for <$25k... When I bought my car, I figured a 25kmile CPO 08 w/ nav was a safer bet.

I do have factory nav, so like I said, I'll start taking a look at part #s tomorrow and post any findings.
Old 10-13-2012 | 12:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lleron
Good luck trying to find a non-abused <100k type-s in socal for <$25k... When I bought my car, I figured a 25kmile CPO 08 w/ nav was a safer bet.

I do have factory nav, so like I said, I'll start taking a look at part #s tomorrow and post any findings.
I guess I got lucky then because I got my CPO TL-S from the Acura dealership for 24k OTD back in January. When I picked up the car, it had 28k miles on it. Car was in great condition so I had to pick it up!
Old 10-13-2012 | 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^I was about to mention about you but you beat me to it lol.

OP you ask for 100k miles or less and being under $25k and here it goes.

CPO http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31774727&Log=0 (I am sure dealer will drop price after you guy came to an agreement)

used offer DCH Acura.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31883398&Log=0

Both vehicle show no sign of being abuse or what so whatever the black one show some maint record. When you shopping for a Type S patient is a must, when I shop for Type S, I am expecting response from the dealer as "sorry its sold" or "some one already put deposit on it". I keep looking until my pop up and the car just coming the dealer from some one just trade it in lol.
Old 10-13-2012 | 10:07 AM
Advanced

^^^I was about to mention about you but you beat me to it lol.

OP you ask for 100k miles or less and being under $25k and here it goes.

CPO http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31774727&Log=0 (I am sure dealer will drop price after you guy came to an agreement)

used offer DCH Acura.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31883398&Log=0

Both vehicle show no sign of being abuse or what so whatever the black one show some maint record. When you shopping for a Type S patient is a must, when I shop for Type S, I am expecting response from the dealer as "sorry its sold" or "some one already put deposit on it". I keep looking until my pop up and the car just coming the dealer from some one just trade it in lol.
Unfortunately, when I moved out here ~6months ago I was planning on using the 300zx as a DD. It started giving me problems literally two days before I was supposed to drive cross country so I ended up having to use a rental. I had less than a week to find a car before I started my job and I had to return the rental so didn't really have the luxury of patience at the time...

At any rate, what's done is done and I'm certainly not unhappy with the CPO with 26k miles that I picked up (and plan on modding 80% of what the type-s would come with anyways). I just want it to be a bit more involving to drive. I picked up a type-s steering wheel with all the switches and covers last night for $100, so will take pics when it arrives.

EDIT: After looking at the schematic it looks like wiring won't be too bad... The sport shift switches are just normally open switches tied to ground, so worst case I can just tap into two wires at the shifter in the center console -> (shift +) and (shift -) and ground the paddle switches at the steering wheel.

Last edited by lleron; 10-13-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2012 | 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

sound like you found the solution, I can't see why you can't tap into the shifter harness anyway. BTW Z32 can't be a DD its too good to be DD, I was looking into those 90-94 Z32 until I found out that they require alot of maint to run like turbo going bad $5200 from nissan dealer, TB/WP, steering rack bushing issue, HICAS system and injector failure due to HPFP. Many member from Z32 plannet forum told me if I am about to buy a used Z32 then I better looking for a 2nd car that reliable as DD, since the 300ZX TT will need alot of attention in order for the car running right, after all the car is almost 20 years old.
I wonder if you can post some of the Z32 pics, thanks.
Old 10-13-2012 | 02:17 PM
Advanced

sound like you found the solution, I can't see why you can't tap into the shifter harness anyway. BTW Z32 can't be a DD its too good to be DD, I was looking into those 90-94 Z32 until I found out that they require alot of maint to run like turbo going bad $5200 from nissan dealer, TB/WP, steering rack bushing issue, HICAS system and injector failure due to HPFP. Many member from Z32 plannet forum told me if I am about to buy a used Z32 then I better looking for a 2nd car that reliable as DD, since the 300ZX TT will need alot of attention in order for the car running right, after all the car is almost 20 years old.
I wonder if you can post some of the Z32 pics, thanks.
Well, most of that is true if the car is not taken care of.. I literally replaced every coolant hose/vacuum hose/timing belt/water pump etc right before I was going to drive it out here.. I think it was a sensor that started going bad, but as I had two days until I moved I just ran out of time to deal with it.

More pics here if you were interested:
http://s157.beta.photobucket.com/use...1%20300zx%20TT

It's for sale too if you were really interested! (Sorry for OT post...)
Old 10-13-2012 | 02:21 PM

the G wheels look Great on it!!!!
and 350 to the wheels aint bad either.
Old 10-13-2012 | 02:58 PM

its definitely possible to find a tl-s for under 25k with under 100k miles....I got mine for 17.5k OTD with 75k miles. no accident, never abused, in better condition than many cars with many less miles.

but back on topic, you know with the paddle shifters, it doesnt shift any faster, it's just more convenient to press. there are times when I use the shifter to shift because during a turn, it's pretty hard to use the paddles since they turn with the steering wheel
Old 10-13-2012 | 03:36 PM
07 NBP 5A/T UA6 NAVI

Sorry this is probably a newb question but if I were to purchase the type-s steering wheel does it come with.the paddle shifters? Fyi I haven't been in a a/t type s before. Also would it even fit on the base model steering column without rubbing against the turn signal and wiper controls?
Old 10-13-2012 | 03:42 PM
A6 and TL

Interested as well!

For all the type s owners that are complaining he should have bought a type s..... Not much of a difference between the type s and the base tl espically if you are comparing a 5AT type s and a 5AT base. I don't understand why type s owners think they are in some "elite" club, its NOT like comparing a 328i to a M3....its more like comparing a 325i to a 330i Barely any HP difference that no one but you will notice.
Old 10-13-2012 | 03:46 PM

Look at this diagram

No, the paddle shifters are separate from the steering wheel
Old 10-13-2012 | 04:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Interested as well!

For all the type s owners that are complaining he should have bought a type s..... Not much of a difference between the type s and the base tl espically if you are comparing a 5AT type s and a 5AT base. I don't understand why type s owners think they are in some "elite" club, its NOT like comparing a 328i to a M3....its more like comparing a 325i to a 330i Barely any HP difference that no one but you will notice.
^^That. If you have an M/T that's one thing, but on an 07-08 auto there really aren't many differences. I'll probably end up swapping out the suspension and wheels at some point, I like the base a-spec front & rear better (esp the front), and I have a set of headlights in my apartment that I am currently modifying anyways. I also get better gas mileage and pay less for insurance... At the time I bought my car, I was more set on getting something clean and low mileage than I was set on getting a type-s.

EDIT: Plus, hey I actually enjoy modding! I like making cars my own instead of having exactly the same car from the factory as everyone else. I think my 300zx above is a pretty good example, as probably 60% of the parts on there are aftermarket.
Old 10-13-2012 | 06:27 PM
Advanced

Alright, it looks like the clock spring is the same on both the base (nav and non-nav) and type-s 35251-SDA-A21. That was my biggest concern; extra wires can't really be run from the steering wheel as it needs to turn >360 degrees.

As expected, all three interior wiring harnesses are different however. Can anyone think of why there would be any wiring differences between a base w/nav and an AT type-s besides those switches? Is anything else in the interior different that I'm overlooking?
Old 10-13-2012 | 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interested as well!

For the record, I never considered my TL-S to be some sort of ultra premium trim that's capable of facing off against an M3. And you're right, it's a very small HP difference. I mean c'mon we're comparing a 3.2 to a 3.5! But do I notice it when I'm riding in my friend's base TL? Slightly, but nothing that's a huge significance.

Back when I was shopping for a car, my budget wasn't very high but I still wanted something that was still in a way, unique. I could've easily gotten a e90 3 series, C class, IS, or a base TL but in my area, you see those everywhere.

Realistically, I knew that I wouldn't be getting a high performance vehicle with my budget. And then when I was checking listings, I found a low mileage TL-S for a great price so I pulled the trigger. I figured it was a win-win; it was a four door sedan, a dash of sportiness mixed in with luxury, and the price was right as well! Don't get me wrong, I love TLs, both base and Type-S. I've always wanted one and now that I do, life is pretty good!

And I apologize on behalf of all douchey Type-S drivers who try hard to cut you off just to let you know that they're driving a 3.5. I myself hate it when another TL-S tails me and then cuts me off. "Yeah, I get it pal, you have the same car I do."

From here on out, we should say "You should have gotten a Type-S.....or a 6MT base!"
truonghthe (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012 | 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Interested as well!

first Type S owner don't considering as "Elite club" like you said and no I am not a douche who say Type S is the shit, I was setting my eyes on the Type S since 07 because it came with no optional except for summer tires, therefore it eliminate the choice combo such as exterior/interior color, AT or MT then Navi vs nonNavi. 04-06 TL has too many choice like MT or AT then AT with navi and MT nonnavi. Yes when I driving my Type S I got head turning every where since it consider rare TL in my area do to large amount of G35 and 335/328. I just want to ask why owner didn't looking to get the Type S to save time and $$$ in the long run, you need to stop jumping into conclusion that Type S owner is douce because we are an "elite club".

OP how many WHP your Z32 pushing?
Old 10-13-2012 | 08:59 PM
Advanced

first Type S owner don't considering as "Elite club" like you said and no I am not a douche who say Type S is the shit, I was setting my eyes on the Type S since 07 because it came with no optional except for summer tires, therefore it eliminate the choice combo such as exterior/interior color, AT or MT then Navi vs nonNavi. 04-06 TL has too many choice like MT or AT then AT with navi and MT nonnavi. Yes when I driving my Type S I got head turning every where since it consider rare TL in my area do to large amount of G35 and 335/328. I just want to ask why owner didn't looking to get the Type S to save time and $$$ in the long run, you need to stop jumping into conclusion that Type S owner is douce because we are an "elite club".

OP how many WHP your Z32 pushing?
Whoah, I didn't mean to offend both of you... I mean, if the option presented itself I would have taken a Type-S over a base, but don't think it's that big of a deal either way. Let's all be friends here .

And it still needs to get tuned after all the parts I put on it (2.5" intercooler piping/Ash-spec massive IC's/bored TBs/850cc injectors/etc...) but I was hoping for close to 400whp on pump gas at 15psi. I was planning on getting it tuned once I moved out here (the best tuning shop in the country is Specialty Z in the SF valley) but that was unfortunately not in the cards for my move. It's listed for sale right now, but if it doesn't sell I may have it shipped out here in the next year or so..
Old 10-13-2012 | 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

No offense taken! I just wanted to clear the air and avoid misunderstandings! I know there was some bickering going on because of the UA7 Squad thread but I think that was quickly remedied once it was moved to the Photography sub-forum. Trust me, we're friends.

Also to stay on topic, I would really love to see your car with the paddles! Be sure to take some pictures of every step so that you can maybe post a DIY here? I'm sure others would be interested in this as well!

Last edited by DaeHanMeenGuk; 10-13-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2012 | 02:07 AM
A6 and TL

I didn't mean to offend anyone either. The type s are great cars and I love the colors (KBP/MRP) that come with them. I am sure if I had a type s in that color I would be very happy .

I was just talking about some other members on this forum (not this thread) that think the type s is a elite car. Its a great car, but NOT a elite car when comparing it to a base 5AT. I believe a 6MT base is the same as a 6MT type s and the 5AT are pretty much the same.

I wish I had learnt about the type s, I bought my TL on impulse. I was considering G37/335i/IS350 and somehow ended up with a base TL. The brembos+waffles+exterior looks (quad exhaust) + my favorite feature is the all red lighting inside. I am sure if I had looked around a bit harder I could have gotten a type s as well. But oh well.

Anyway lets get this thread back on topic, sorry for the thread jack OP!
Old 10-14-2012 | 11:51 AM
Drifting

I personally wouldn't bother with this project. Realistically speaking, will the paddle shifters really help you in your drive when a flick into SIS and a +/- move can also happen pretty quickly. The automatic is already pretty darn responsive without going into SIS mode anyway.

You would get better performance improvements with suspension or tire upgrades. I agree with the 'you should have bought a type-s' comment if you absolutely must have paddles.
Old 10-14-2012 | 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

OP I am wondering if you can do a DIY as well.
Old 10-14-2012 | 06:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I personally wouldn't bother with this project. Realistically speaking, will the paddle shifters really help you in your drive when a flick into SIS and a +/- move can also happen pretty quickly. The automatic is already pretty darn responsive without going into SIS mode anyway.

You would get better performance improvements with suspension or tire upgrades. I agree with the 'you should have bought a type-s' comment if you absolutely must have paddles.
While this may realistically be true, for the minimal cost involved (<$50 once I sell the parts off the used wheel I bought.. hell of a lot cheaper than swapping to a type-s) I thought it would be worth a shot. And coming from a manual, it's super annoying when you can't pass someone on the highway or accelerate when the car isn't in the gear you want. Plus I'm honestly the kind of person that can't leave anything alone and always wants to mod it/find a way to improve functionality in general. I became an engineer for this exact reason. I find these kind of projects fun and satisfying when they're done.

Also, for everyone requesting I'll try and take pics and make a write-up when I'm done. I did have the minor setback of almost losing the tip of my finger today, however (5 stitches and crushed the bone at the tip of my middle finger) so the project may be a bit slower going than I initially planned.. I'll certainly keep everyone posted though.

Last edited by lleron; 10-14-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2012 | 08:51 AM
Racer

These may or may not help you.

TL-s Shifting wire diagram

Base

lleron (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012 | 08:53 AM
Racer

Like you have already found out is is just a N/O switch that goes to ground when pressed. So if you get a TL-s clock spring and wire that to your base underdash wiring you will have the two output wires for Shift Up and Shift Down to run to the center console or control unit wires for the corresponding action.

Pretty simple if you already have the steering wheel in your possession. Good luck
lleron (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012 | 09:00 AM
Pro

I'd like to add paddle shifters to a 6MT TL-S.

That would actually be neat.
Old 10-22-2012 | 09:11 AM

^
paperboy42190 (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012 | 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
I'd like to add paddle shifters to a 6MT TL-S.

That would actually be neat.
do it , lol
Old 10-22-2012 | 08:12 PM
Racer

That would be pimp… Or just build the trans and speed up the shift speed of the auto would be nice as well. i can't stand the delay. Wish it shifted like a gtr or something but I understand why it doesn't Wishful thinking lol.
Old 10-22-2012 | 08:19 PM

That would be pimp… Or just build the trans and speed up the shift speed of the auto would be nice as well. i can't stand the delay. Wish it shifted like a gtr or something but I understand why it doesn't Wishful thinking lol.

$35K vs at least $80k
Old 10-22-2012 | 10:35 PM
Advanced

Like you have already found out is is just a N/O switch that goes to ground when pressed. So if you get a TL-s clock spring and wire that to your base underdash wiring you will have the two output wires for Shift Up and Shift Down to run to the center console or control unit wires for the corresponding action.

Pretty simple if you already have the steering wheel in your possession. Good luck
Thanks a lot for the wiring diagrams. They're a bit clearer than the ones I currently have.

As I mentioned earlier, the base and type-s clock spring are the same part#, so hopefully the wiring should be pretty simple. I have the steering wheel in my possesion but unfortunately mangeld my finger pretty good last week, so it may take some time for me to actually get everything installed.
Old 05-19-2013 | 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Please let me know if anyone has actually accomplished this!!!

Quick Reply: Adding TL-S Paddles to '08 base?