Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura's Politeness is BS

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura's Politeness is BS

So I spend all this time patiently, graciously waiting for Honda to get their act and paperwork together and find me a new one, I meet with the regional rep who agrees to honor the theory of the lemon law and I think all is well.

I finally get a call from a lady at Honda Remediation department to get the ball rolling, and they find a car. Granted I have to pay some "usage fees", that's fine under the lemon law for mileage. But the Regional Rep told me that they would find some way to account for the money I spent on tinting as the lemon law states that aftermarket accessories also have to be refunded. Well Lo' and behold, lady from Remediation says none of that will happen. "it only applies to Honda mfr accessories".. welllll.. Bull S**T, it covers anything. So I tell her the deal is off and I now get to contact a lawyer.

So much for my good christian patience and trust in this issue with UnAmerican Honda Corporation.

So now instead of a vehicle trade out, I'm requesting a buy back and I'm going to get something else.

And lemon law allows for reversal of Attorney's fees, so they get to eat that too.

All this for a $300 tint job. HATED IT.

Enjoy your day people, I know mine now sucks.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Bad to know Max is gone with this painful way.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
how are honda access. aftermarket? they are OEM, she is an idiot... good luck man
Old 09-14-2004, 01:26 PM
DWP
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
how are honda access. aftermarket? they are OEM, she is an idiot... good luck man
That's not what he said. He wanted Honda to pick up the cost of his $300 aftermarket tint job and they declined, since it wasn't a Honda accessory. If you spend $2,000 on an aftermarket sound system or wheels, why should Honda pay for that under the lemon law? Sure, I understand that you can theoretically remove your sound system or wheels from the lemon, but that you can't get back the price of your tinting - but that's the risk you run when you make unrecoverable investments in a car that you later decide you don't want after all.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:42 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by DWP
. If you spend $2,000 on an aftermarket sound system or wheels, why should Honda pay for that under the lemon law?
It's not a question of why, it's a question of if. I'm not familiar with the Georgia lemon law, but if it states that the manufacturer of a faulty product must cover the cost of aftermarket modifications, then that's what the law says. It's not Honda's perogative to choose which parts of the law to abide to.

-phil
Old 09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

But the Lemon Law does make the stipulations that they have to pay for such things since you put it on the car in good faith that the car would last. I just re-read the whole law, it is REALLY pro-consumer and goes to great lengths to protect you and the things you might have done for the car.

Things like bed liners, and just other stuff are all covered. You can't take a Rhino-Liner back out..

I'm going to massage therapy, I"m a bit stressed over this crap, time to sit under the hands of the doctor for 2 hours.. See y'all tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:00 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Sherlock,

I really wish everyone could have the same problem-free experience I have had with the 04 TL (well, so far anyway; I am due for my first service visit this week).

If/when you end up with another make and model, your presence on this forum may become scarce. I am sure you will find a forum more specific to your new car.

So, if I may make one request...
Please post an update to this thread and let us know how it turns out. I would like to know that the consumer is truly protected in situations like this, and that you are compensated for the dealer's shortcomings.

I am sorry it had to come to this, but I certainly don't fault you. In fact, I applaud you sticking to your guns!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

It's $300. Is that hassle really worth it?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Disproportionate Member

Sorry to hear about your pain... I do however think you'd spend more money for a lawyer than it would be to spend $300 to add the tint to the new car. Regardless, good luck with your ordeal, and be sure to keep us updated...
Old 09-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Aquineas
Sorry to hear about your pain... I do however think you'd spend more money for a lawyer than it would be to spend $300 to add the tint to the new car. Regardless, good luck with your ordeal, and be sure to keep us updated...

Not only that, but think of the time he'd put in, because its not like The lawyer will snap his fingers, and it'll be all over with. it could take a while. I'd say suck up the 300 dollar loss, and take what they are offering, which is I'm assuming a new car or a buy back?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gyrus
It's $300. Is that hassle really worth it?
My thoughts exactly. Hiring a lawyer is going to cost you more than that.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm with Stewie. $300 is what a lawyer costs for an hour or two in a case like yours...the first of many hours they'd spend on it. I'd be happy they were swapping my car out for a brand new one--that deal is a lot better than some on this board have gotten from Honda/Acura. You should reconsider your decision when you've cooled down some (and had your massage--good idea! )

I'm glad your saga with Max is almost done, though...it must have been rather irritating.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
My only Lemon law situation required a $1500 retainer, and took almost 9 months to resolve. The good news is that the mfr ate all those miles, less the ones I had driven before the defect they could not repair was discovered (all of 123 miles). It appears to be a matter of principle for this gentleman, and I honor people with honorable world views. Go get 'em, Tiger. I will bet that one letter from your attorney will allow you to get the deal done under your terms, and they should eat your attorney's fee as well IMO.

The mfr I dealt with wanted the title the day they took back my car - this forced me and the Dealer rep to go to my credit union. I had arranged for a Nissan dealer to pick me up at trhe mfr's lot and take me over to take possession of my 1991 300ZX - one of the rare hardtop models intended for racing (no T-top).

So I had ridden with the dealer rep, and we piled into the car to go back to the dealer's lot - He says "Where do you you think you're going?" I said "Back to your lot with you". He says "I am under no obligation to give you a ride - get out". Can you believe that? After all the hassle, and my prevailing in the lawsuit, they decide that rather than try and win me back, they would screw me over. I cannot reveal the name of the Company, but they are a Japanese company owned by Daimler-Chrysler, and the car was related to a particular solar event that occurs from time to time.

Know what i did? I had a big fat check from those aholes, and I called a limo place, and said "Send the biggest stretch you have - one way ride". It was the most expensive "cab ride" of my life, but when I pulled into the Nissan dealer in that thing, I must have looked like Donald Trump, because after that, they treated me like gold ervery time I came in. "Oh sir, your lights have developed condensation? No problem, we will order two to be on the safe side, and can we give you a ride and pick you up at your office?". Suurrre.

Sherlock: I am not a vindictive person, but i felt real rage (not Road Rage) against the mfr I sued - they were absolute jackasses all the way - and I would never buy anything from that f-ISHI company again - not a TV, not a condom, not toilet paper. Phooey forever. No wonder they are going down. They have the curse of RR upon their generations. Death is not a question of if, but of when.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:53 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Awwww, Come on Road Rage, not even one of these?
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1
Old 09-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DWP
That's not what he said. He wanted Honda to pick up the cost of his $300 aftermarket tint job and they declined, since it wasn't a Honda accessory. If you spend $2,000 on an aftermarket sound system or wheels, why should Honda pay for that under the lemon law? Sure, I understand that you can theoretically remove your sound system or wheels from the lemon, but that you can't get back the price of your tinting - but that's the risk you run when you make unrecoverable investments in a car that you later decide you don't want after all.

I agree its like asking for your zaino back, lol. Plus his post is #666 pretty scary huh?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Casper42
Awwww, Come on Road Rage, not even one of these?
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1
Funny you should ask - I was offered this for a review free of charge with them bringing it in and settting it up, and retrieving it when i was done. of course, I declined. If nothing else, I have principles.

Now what makes you think i was talking about them.........
Old 09-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Sherlock -- sorry man. Hope you do get another Acura (dunno if you even trust Ed Voyles or Nalley after the shitstorm they've put you through).

Interesting, though, that your last post was #666 for you.... hmmmph
Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by te3point5
Not only that, but think of the time he'd put in, because its not like The lawyer will snap his fingers, and it'll be all over with. it could take a while. I'd say suck up the 300 dollar loss, and take what they are offering, which is I'm assuming a new car or a buy back?
Any good, ethical lawyer (and they're really not that few and far between) will give this advice before taking the case.

Mike
Old 09-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bitsomushi...

Well, RR at the rate things are progressing for the "unnamed" company you refer to I suspect they may not be in the car biz much longer. As I see it, there's no great loss in that.

Their partner in the axis if evil is just about as up front and cooperative with their customers too, as well I can attest. Since DCX has managed to join themselves at the hip with Kamikazi's R Us, rather permanently too since no other company in their right mind would buy DCXs' share out at this point, it will be interesting to see how negatively their demise impacts DCX. The 'ol Germans are in for a treat when their partner folds and takes all the joint venture products down the tubes with them - which amounts to all of DCX's mid and small size FWD platforms. I can hear the already overtaxed corporate coffers screaming for
mercy as R&D money bleeds out to re-do all that development work after just one generation.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:43 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What will really suck is when he looses the Lemon law case and is stuck with the car and manufacturer that he has grown to hate......

Normally I wouldn't say a thing but Sherlock,,, that $300 dollar tint job will have cost you 10 times that with time and headaches by the end of your sagga....

Quoting a line from an Indiana Jones movie: "You chose poorly"......

I truly hope I'm wrong for your sanities sake... I've seen it go both ways.

Best of luck,,,, really
Old 09-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Ah grasshoppahs.. lemon law dictates that all attorney's fees are paid BY THE MFR. This is so that a consumer, who has put up with a P.O.S. lemon does not have to be further financially burdened by paying for a Lemon Law Lawyer. the lawyers know this hence why the sites for Lemon Lawyers are often "free cases, no cost to you" and they review the case during the "free consultation" whether to take the case or not. They know if they'll win it or not before they take it, and if they win, Acura pays for every red cent of it.

I do not mind the effort of going thru this, I want to stick it as far up their ass as I can get it. The regional rep agreed that he would take care of the cost of tinting, and the c*nt in California didn't do it. The lawyers have already told me this is a winnable case, so if they don't come back to me tomorrow as I was promised with their rehash of doing this before I file, then I definately file. If I file, then it costs them WAY more than coughing up $300 for the tint, cuz then they can re-purchase instead of trade out, and pay the lawyer fees, and the tinting, and the mileage, and I get my money back minus some usage.

I'm sick of being a pushover which I have often done in life, I bought an Acura, and I want the level of treatment and the quality of car that should accompany the marque.

Fudge 'em.

On the other note.. what will I buy ?? no clue.. I've wanted an Avalanche for a while.. and now that they did away with the rough plastic fenders.. I might re-look. I did like the 350Z, but the longer term reviews are not holding up well, but I love the cobalt blue on it. a CTS-V if I had 50K, an S60-R if I had 50K.. who knows. I'll just go back to driving my paid-for 98 Accord.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

P.S. And in my spewing, I forgot to say .. thanks to those who have supported me in this and given some verbal support.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:30 PM
HMFIC

Bottom line - If everything Sherlock says is true, Honda is just trying to save every penny they can. They make great products and they know it. They probably believe their cars are perfect and owners are the problem.

Bravo for fighting on Sherlock. We have to show OEMs that we will not continue to roll over for $300!

Don
Old 09-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Good on ya'

Way to go Sherlock. I'm just now heading to arbitration over the non matching paint issues. I had about 300 miles on the car when I took it to the dealer and about 1500 by the time the Acura rep. showed up to look at it. They offered to do a repaint on about 60% of the car to try to get it to match (with no gaurantees by the way) and I declined and asked for a new car. They agreed if I chose a different color and pay them $500. That's not a lot of money but why should I pay anything to drive a car in a color I don't really want because Acura won't fix its quality problems until it starts costing them lots of money.
My experience has been that Acura dealers and customer service SUCK!
Good luck, and stay strong.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No wonder we're known as such a litigious country. One person wants Acura to pay for his $300 tinting job and everybody jumps on the bandwagon and says, "yeah... go get 'em! Let's get an attorney!"

I'm certainly sorry you've had problems with your TL and I'm glad to hear Acura has stepped up and agreed to trade out cars, but I think it's ridiculous for you to expect them to pay for something that you had installed through a third party. If I replaced the rims on my TL, I would certainly take them off before trading the car back rather than expecting Acura to pay extra for them. It's the same principle, but you can't remove the tinting and re-use it.